PDA

View Full Version : We won't see normal starting lineup vs. Warriors Sunday

Embedded
03-31-2015, 01:00 PM
I have been following Coach Popovich for awhile. He might unashamedly rest somebody, or juggle the starting lineup, etc. But SOMETHING will prevent Golden State from getting a crack at our normal rotation.

dabom
03-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Pop doesn't rest at home.

-21-
03-31-2015, 01:19 PM
Maybe. But since every game is crucial now because of seeding, who knows.

Cry Havoc
03-31-2015, 01:24 PM
I just think he'll put in weird subs. Who's up for Ayers at the 2 guard? :lol

Old School 44
03-31-2015, 01:29 PM
Doesn't really matter as far as fooling anyone. Everybody's familiar with how the Spurs operate, especially guys like Kerr.

gameFACE
03-31-2015, 01:30 PM
No one needs to rest until the last week at this point. Better to make up ground. Kerr is the one who will try to pull a Pop. Better to go for a W regardless.

BillMc
03-31-2015, 01:38 PM

:lol And Patty at center.

bklynspursfan
03-31-2015, 01:39 PM
I think we won't see their full rotation. Kerr will pull a Pop, I think they're on the 2nd night of a b2b too, so it makes sense. I feel confident against GS anyway for some reason. Idk why. I just think we can matchup with whatever lineup they throw at us.

SnakeBoy
03-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Home game and not a b2b so I wouldn't expect Pop to rest anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if Kerr rests players since it's a b2b for them and his coaching style has been "what would Pop do?".

letmk
03-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Kerr might rest some of his players as well.

FromWayDowntown
03-31-2015, 02:51 PM
I don't think Pop will necessarily rest against GST.

I do think that if the Spurs haven't made up any additional ground on the Rockets and Grizzlies by the first Houston game on April 8, there's a strong likelihood that Pop will hold back some guys in each of the Houston games and just let those go where they will go. If the best you can do at that point is move up to 5 (which will depend substantially on what happens with the Clippers, Grizzlies, and Rockets over the next week or so), I think it might just be better to stay at 6. The first round matchup from the 6 spot won't be the tempting shot at Portland, but the chances at a long run are greater the longer you can avoid the Warriors, which means staying out of the 4/5 matchup in Round 1.

Fireball
03-31-2015, 03:01 PM
I hope the Dubs rest some players so the Spurs chances of winning the game and the push for a higher seed increase ...

tmtcsc
03-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Not a chance. The Spurs will do their best to win that game. This is nothing like past years for the Spurs. Steve Kerr, on the other hand, will probably sit his players to avoid unnecessary injuries. He has that luxury now.

Leetonidas
03-31-2015, 03:16 PM
I think Pop knows the importance of fielding a competitive effort against them for the sake of the team. They have been playing great but haven't beaten anyone really too noteworthy just yet (Memphis has been in free fall). I think Spurs will bring it, they know GSW is their measuring stick

spurtech09
03-31-2015, 03:21 PM
:lol And Patty at center.The coyote as head coach....

spurtech09
03-31-2015, 03:24 PM
I think Pop knows the importance of fielding a competitive effort against them for the sake of the team. They have been playing great but haven't beaten anyone really too noteworthy just yet (Memphis has been in free fall). I think Spurs will bring it, they know GSW is their measuring stickThe evil one

Budkin
03-31-2015, 03:36 PM
Fake statement game

koriwhat
03-31-2015, 03:40 PM
I hope the Dubs rest some players so the Spurs chances of winning the game and the push for a higher seed increase ...

The dubs... howd they get that nick?

Leetonidas
03-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Because W is the first letter hence it was shortened to dub

BillMc
03-31-2015, 03:55 PM
The coyote as head coach....

:lol

Seventyniner
03-31-2015, 09:35 PM
I don't think Pop will necessarily rest against GST.

I do think that if the Spurs haven't made up any additional ground on the Rockets and Grizzlies by the first Houston game on April 8, there's a strong likelihood that Pop will hold back some guys in each of the Houston games and just let those go where they will go. If the best you can do at that point is move up to 5 (which will depend substantially on what happens with the Clippers, Grizzlies, and Rockets over the next week or so), I think it might just be better to stay at 6. The first round matchup from the 6 spot won't be the tempting shot at Portland, but the chances at a long run are greater the longer you can avoid the Warriors, which means staying out of the 4/5 matchup in Round 1.

I see your logic, but Pop doesn't strike me as the type to try and jockey for seeding by losing. I think he'll just do what he always does: try to get the team to improve every day and give their best effort on the floor. Wins or losses will happen along the way.

cjw
03-31-2015, 10:27 PM
I think there are two different thoughts here:
1.) Pop rests guys (either 1-2 or several)
2.) Pop experiments and avoids showing his hand

2 is much more likely. Don't see 1 happening.

aal04
04-01-2015, 05:01 AM
He will run a full team. he needs to poke and prod that GSW team and find some holes.

TampaDude
04-01-2015, 02:55 PM
He will run a full team. he needs to poke and prod that GSW team and find some holes.

^ this

Pop knows that we're gonna have to get past the Warriors sooner or later in the playoffs.

Beaverfuzz
04-01-2015, 02:56 PM
It will be the normal crew.

boutons_deux
04-01-2015, 02:56 PM
"showing his hand" :lol

we hear the same old shit every year. Pop himself says EVERY team knows exactly what EVERY other team does. There are no "hands" to hide.

buttsR4rebounding
04-01-2015, 03:16 PM

A point guard's nightmare...someone who works on catching the ball during the offseason instead of shooting.

Vic Petro
04-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Doubt it. Getting 2-3 seed vs 4-5 seed too important. Kerr might actually rest some guys to "help" Spurs since he'd rather not see them until WCF imo.

Uriel
04-01-2015, 07:59 PM
If anything, it's Kerr who won't field a normal lineup, not Pop.

Fireball
04-02-2015, 03:38 AM
If anything, it's Kerr who won't field a normal lineup, not Pop.

Yeah, I stated the same above but after watching them against the Clippers I am not so sure anymore. Kerr easily could have mailed it in after the 1st Q, but even without Green he kept the rotations steady and the Warriors came back to win the game. They do not seem to look for rest.

SnakeBoy
04-02-2015, 04:01 AM
The dubs... howd they get that nick?

They were George W Bush's favorite team so people started calling them Dubya's team, eventually that got shortened to Dubs after the Iraq war and Dubya became unpopular.

SnakeBoy
04-02-2015, 04:04 AM

Does that mean we should expect some mad scientist Pop line ups that leave wondering wtf is he thinking?

boutons_deux
04-02-2015, 06:07 AM
I'd be surprised if both teams DON'T play to win as if it were a Game7. We beat GSW at home, they'd want payback.

Spurs have chance at 4th seed, getting HCA in the first round. Sunday is worth a full team effort.

and then 2 shots at HOU. Take those 3, and the League trembles.

DocDoc
04-02-2015, 07:03 AM
I don't expect GS to run a full lineup. They have some minor injuries, this game has no meaning for them, and the shoe is on the other foot in terms of not showing all the cards.

pgardn
04-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Still a doubter about the Warroirs in the playoffs. When they get in the playoffs, and get in a dogfight, I see nothing to suggest they can't be had again. They have to be the favorites because the regular season is obviously a legitimate measuring stick of their improvement.

I do however believe that timing is crucial here. I would like to see them beat on by Memphis BEFORE a we get to them. I believe the contrast in styles they would have to adjust to is very important. We just need to punch them in the face and drain the youthful confidence right out of them. They are the hunted, in what is possibly multiple 7 game series for them. This is a role they can't fully understand. Give them some draining tough loses where they have to adjust, doubt enters, and they become vulnerable, especially to a team like ours that can match them.

If we are playing well enough to force them to mentally strain in order to legitimately TAKE games from us, I think we got em.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Actually this is shaping up to be Warriors' most important remaining game if they want to avoid the Spurs until the WCF, which is likely and logical.

As things stand, the Spurs have a much bigger chance to finish 5th ( if they beat the Rockets twice ) or 6th ( if they split the Rockets games ) than 2nd or 3rd ( if they overtake both Rockets and Memphis ). If the Warriors want them on the other side of the bracket they'd much rather beat them and push them to 6th, than rest guys, lose and allow the Spurs to fight for 2nd or 3rd, which is much less likely. In other words, if the Warriors win then the Spurs will very likely end up 6th, if the Spurs win they'd be much more likely to finish 5th than 2nd/3rd.

I think the Warriors rest guys in Dallas and play full strength in SA.

Embedded
04-06-2015, 12:10 PM
I'm suspicious, and I hope I'm right. There's nothing wrong with Tiago Splitter.

Blake
04-06-2015, 10:07 PM
Lol op with a stealth bump.

Good call on the weird starting lineup aka Bonner