PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Who's having a worse week? The Mavs, or Dallas Country District Attorney Susan Hawk?

Findog
03-31-2015, 01:54 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20150329-sefko-loss-to-indiana-deepens-state-of-flux-mavs-are-in-pushes-dallas-closer-to-eighth-seed.ece

INDIANPOLIS — If you’re willing to use one game as an adequate sample size, you can make the argument that the Mavericks’ offense looked better without Monta Ellis than it looked with him.

The defense, however, can continue to be described in three words.

Not good enough.

The Mavericks did just enough wrong Sunday night to lose 104-99 to the Indiana Pacers, who are on the fringe of the playoff race in the Eastern Conference. The loss extended the Mavericks’ road woes and diminished any fading chance of them rising higher than seventh in the Western Conference playoff seedings.

The cold, hard fact is that the Mavericks now are as close to eighth place in the West as they are to sixth. Wednesday’s visit to Oklahoma City, currently the No. 8 seed, could go a long way toward determining who ends up seventh and eighth.

The state of flux that the Mavericks are in right now runs deep.

They are finding it harder and harder to explain what’s going wrong as they realize every mistake can be the reason they are losing games at a rapid clip.

As Dirk Nowitzki said, it wasn’t a matter of playing hard. The Mavericks left everything they had on the court. But without Ellis, the Mavericks have an even smaller margin for error than they did before.

They had some defensive miscues down the stretch, including a slow rotation that allowed Skyline product C.J. Miles to hit his fifth 3-pointer that made it 102-97 with a minute to play, a deficit the Mavericks could not make up.

That came after George Hill made consecutive 3-pointers earlier in the fourth that put the Pacers up 95-89.

The Mavs are 1-7 on the road since the All-Star break.

“I thought we battled pretty good,” Nowitzki said. “We were without our leading scorer, and we still battled. Those two 3s by Hill back to back hurt us. We had some turnovers, but I thought we left it all out there and came up a little short.”

So it’s come to this: The Mavericks can play as hard as they can and if they don’t upgrade their execution and overall playmaking, they’re not good enough to beat a 32-41 Indiana team that’s currently on the outside looking in on the Eastern Conference playoff picture.

It’s not enough just to play hard. They have to play well, too.

Miles was a pain for the Mavericks all night. They could never find him on the 3-point arc and he finished with a game-high 28 points.

The Mavericks wasted good efforts by Chandler Parsons and Rajon Rondo, who are going to be leaned on more heavily on the offensive end with Ellis out with a right calf strain.

Parsons, filling the shooting guard spot for the first time, had 27 points and 10 rebounds while Rondo had 17 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds.

The Mavericks have lost four of their last five and two in a row to start this disjointed road trip that ends Wednesday at Oklahoma City.

“It’s a fine line,” coach Rick Carlisle said. “Slim margins for error and a couple of untimely turnovers here or there can make a big difference. When the little things don’t go right, it’s difficult to win. I know we battled them hard, but they made some plays.”

And the Mavericks didn’t.

A key point came when the Mavericks were down 97-91, but Parsons got to the rim twice and Rondo scooped up a shot off the pick and roll to tie the score.

Roy Hibbert knocked in two free throws with 1:30 to play, and the Mavericks ran a good play for Charlie Villanueva for a 3-pointer from the corner. The wide-open look rimmed out, and Miles then connected on his triple.

“On the rotation, we just didn’t get to him quick enough and that was probably the game right there,” Nowitzki said.

That’s where the Mavericks find themselves now.

One mistake ends up being one too many.

Findog
03-31-2015, 01:55 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/local-politics/20150327-exclusive-friends-colleagues-dallas-county-da-susan-hawk-spent-time-in-drug-rehab.ece

Dallas County’s new district attorney, Susan Hawk, acknowledged Friday that she sought treatment in late 2013 for using drugs prescribed for a bad back, and she blamed a disgruntled ex-staffer for what she says is a character attack against her.

Hawk’s statement came hours after The Dallas Morning News first reported online that friends and courthouse colleagues said she spent a month at an Arizona rehab center and that they are worried about her recent erratic behavior.

Details about the previously undisclosed rehab stay emerged after Hawk fired her second-in-command, Bill Wirskye, stunning fellow prosecutors and hinting at an office in upheaval three months into the Republican’s tenure.

Shortly before dismissing him, Hawk accused Wirskye — wrongly he says — of breaking into her home and stealing a compromising photo of her, according to a friend of Hawk familiar with the confrontation, citing it as another example of her bizarre conduct around employees.

Hawk, 44, slammed Wirskye for trying to undermine her since his firing. And, for the first time, she confirmed getting help to break a reliance on drugs for a “serious back condition.”

“A doctor prescribed me medicine. Over a year and a half ago, I decided I did not want to take it any more, and I got help to quit taking it and haven’t taken any since,” she said. The statement steered clear of Hawk’s earlier explanation for taking a break then in the DA campaign: that she needed back surgery.

“My family and friends — including Mr. Wirskye — knew about it,” she said of her drug treatment, “and they supported me in my campaign. The only reason I am talking about this now is to end his efforts to attack my character in retaliation to his firing,” she said.

In a statement this week, Wirskye described Hawk as unstable but made no reference to her medical condition. Friday, he called her “a good person” and wished her success.

Hawk could not be reached Friday. Her statement did not specify the name of the physician, the medicine or the type of assistance she received.

Shortly after announcing her bid in September 2013 for DA against Democrat Craig Watkins, she told The News she was suffering from back pain, going to an East Coast facility for surgery and that rehabilitation would be necessary.

“I’ll be stronger than ever when I get back,” Hawk said before she left in October.

Those close to Hawk, who agreed to speak about her prescription drug use and other incidents on the condition of anonymity, said Hawk previously told them she went to rehab for prescription drug use.

Hawk spent about a month at The Meadows treatment center because of her use of pain medication — hydrocodone and oxycontin — and an Adderall-like drug. Hawk had been prescribed those for back pain and attention deficit disorder, a courthouse colleague said.

The Meadows, in the Sonoran Desert about an hour northwest of Phoenix, describes itself on its website as the “nation’s premier program” for alcohol, drug addiction and other disorders.

Friends say Hawk appeared healthy when she returned from her time away but have become concerned about her recent actions.

“She definitely needs to get help,” said the courthouse colleague.

Slow campaign start

Hawk resigned as a Democratic state district judge in September 2013. She switched parties to run against Watkins, the two-term incumbent.

Her campaign started slowly, and Hawk faced frequent questions about her personal life.

She denied the speculation, including that she had a chronic illness. “I don’t have [expletive deleted] Crohn’s disease,” she said. “I’ve heard that one too.”

While she was gone for what she said was back surgery, former state District Judge Vickers Cunningham made campaign appearances on her behalf.

Her former campaign manager, Mari Woodlief, said Friday that Hawk didn’t have back surgery but traveled in October to a facility in Virginia for a lesser procedure that she wouldn’t specify. Hawk then returned to Dallas before seeking treatment to stop taking prescription drugs, Woodlief said.

By early 2014, she had resumed campaigning and later knocked off her challenger in the GOP primary, defense attorney Tom Nowak.

In the general election, Hawk and Watkins bickered frequently, including a memorable encounter after a forum on crimes against women and children.

During the event, Watkins had trouble remembering how long he’d been in office and became argumentative with the moderator. Afterward, Hawk muttered to Watkins, “Have another cocktail.”

“A what?” Watkins retorted. “Can you believe what she just said? And she wants to be district attorney.”

Watkins later said: “I’m very surprised she would say something like that because of the issues she has had to deal with.” He did not elaborate.

“I’m not going to go there,” Watkins said. “Should I? No, I’m not going there.”

Watkins declined to comment this week.

Hawk went on to beat Watkins in the November election, becoming the first female DA in Dallas County history and the first Republican elected countywide since 2004.

Clash between friends

She entered office Jan. 1 with Wirskye as her first assistant. A former defense attorney and a longtime friend who backed Hawk during her campaign, Wirskye ran the day-to-day operations of the office. Hawk also brought in Jennifer Balido, a former GOP judge who served as her administrative chief.

But troubles quickly developed. Hawk said Wirskye and Balido weren’t a “good fit” for her office and that her first assistant had a “sense of entitlement” from their friendship and time on the campaign. Wirskye and Balido characterized the atmosphere under Hawk as distrustful and paranoid.

Balido said Hawk acted suspicious of her relationship with Wirskye, to the point that Hawk removed her from Wirskye’s chain of command so they wouldn’t have a “reason to talk.”

“It became obvious to me that she was very paranoid,” Balido said this week. She said that Hawk came into her office multiple times a day to ask, “Is there anything you need to tell me?”

Balido resigned in February under pressure from Hawk. She said she had hoped her exit would protect Wirskye and “buy him some time.” But the next month, Hawk turned on her first assistant.

A friend and former co-worker of Hawk, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said Hawk confronted Wirskye on a Saturday this month when both were working at the office.

The friend said Hawk accused Wirskye of using DA forfeiture funds to obtain a key to her house from a Park Cities-area locksmith and then break in and steal an incriminating photo of her.

The forfeiture fund is money seized in crime busts that is meant to be used for law enforcement purposes. The fund drew attention last year when Watkins came under fire for using it to pay for a car crash settlement and to sweep his office for bugs ahead of a visit from the FBI.

Hawk briefly touched on the incident earlier this week, saying “there is something that had happened and I asked him about it. But I don’t want to get into the details about it because it is not moving our office forward and that’s what I want to do.”

Wirskye denied breaking into his boss’s house and said Hawk later withdrew the “unfair and untrue accusation.” He also said his reputation speaks for itself.

Office tensions spread

Initially, the personnel tensions were contained to the courthouse’s top floor, where the DA and high-level staffers work. But last week a staffwide meeting left many rank-and-file DA employees confused.

Hawk called the sudden meeting with about 300 attorneys and investigators in the office, an unusual occurrence for a DA’s office of that size.

The friend and former co-worker said Hawk intended to “tell them everything” and acknowledge what she said is “the one thing I live in fear of getting out,” but did not explicitly mention rehab.

By the time the meeting convened, she apparently had changed her mind. Hawk instead gave a vague speech lauding employees for their accomplishments and making veiled references to her personal life, according to those who were there.

At the end, Hawk got “tearful” and told the group she knew people had been talking about her personal life. She said she’d be in her office for the coming two hours if anyone had something to discuss with her, said one staffer who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution.

“It was odd,” the employee said. “My reaction was there’s no way I’m going upstairs.”

Over the next few days, Wirskye tried to ask his boss about her behavior and make sure she was OK. But on Monday, the two had a conversation that prompted Hawk to ask for his resignation.

When he refused, she fired him.

Brazil
03-31-2015, 01:56 PM
lakers

Findog
03-31-2015, 01:57 PM
Chica has crazy eyes tbh. Crazy in the head = Crazy in the Bed.

https://cbsdallas.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/susan-hawk-1.jpg

Cry Havoc
03-31-2015, 02:00 PM
Man, Mavs vs. Warriors would be a hell of a first round series. Carlisle always finds a way to make the Mavs a monster in the post-season. He's the Tom Izzo of the NBA.

Findog, would you rather play Memphis or Houston if you hang onto 7?

Findog
03-31-2015, 02:00 PM
Man, Mavs vs. Warriors would be a hell of a first round series. Carlisle always finds a way to make the Mavs a monster in the post-season. He's the Tom Izzo of the NBA.

Findog, would you rather play Memphis or Houston if you hang onto 7?

I guess Houston, but that's only because we would lose in 6 games instead of 5.

sook
03-31-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm having a pretty shitty week tbh fwiw

Findog
03-31-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm having a pretty shitty week tbh fwiw

Yep, Beverly is out for the season.

Findog
03-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Actually, the more I think about it, I'd rather get the Grizz. We have never lost to the Rockets in the playoffs and that streak will surely end if we meet this year.

djohn2oo8
03-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Actually, the more I think about it, I'd rather get the Grizz. We have never lost to the Rockets in the playoffs and that streak will surely end if we meet this year.

You shouldn't assume that. Rox are a first round exit no matter who they face.

Findog
03-31-2015, 02:50 PM
You shouldn't assume that. Rox are a first round exit no matter who they face.

Memphis is also playing like doo doo right now.

ElNono
03-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Chica has crazy eyes tbh. Crazy in the head = Crazy in the Bed.

https://cbsdallas.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/susan-hawk-1.jpg

Michele Bachmann has nothing on her, tbh...

Findog
03-31-2015, 04:45 PM
Michele Bachmann has nothing on her, tbh...

I'm still enjoying the spectacle of her accusing her top deputy of breaking into her house to steal self-made cooter pictures, then sheepishly withdrawing the accusation. She strikes me as a Classic BPD nutjob.

Franklin
03-31-2015, 07:13 PM
like it makes any difference whether we finish 7th or 8th, first round exit either way tbh.

Venti Quattro
03-31-2015, 07:51 PM
lakers

:lol France

Brazil
03-31-2015, 09:09 PM
:lol France

:lol you should try something different once in a while tbh