PDA

View Full Version : Marcelo Machado

marcus
09-05-2005, 11:28 PM
what about this guy?, he had been a star in Brazil a long time and now Cleveland is offering for him. It seems he wants to come to the nba.

He is 30 years old but if we trade Barry for let say Pietrus then we would be able to sign him to a 2 years deal with the LLE at 1,1 or 1,2 maybe.

He is a great shooter so that would not be a problem and if Finley is only signing for one year then he could be useful also for the next season if Finley does not re-sign.

http://www.usbasket.com/USAplayer.asp?PlayerID=27025

http://www.fibaamerica.com/torneos_lideres_us.asp?t=XGLQKBLQOI - look for Magalhães Machado

MaNuMaNiAc
09-05-2005, 11:43 PM
hmm... well thats all well and good, but I don't know if the Spurs are still looking to shop Barry

marcus
09-05-2005, 11:48 PM
The spurs are still looking to reduce their salary cap and Machado could be a good player to sign if Barry is finally traded for a player with a low salary.

Notorious H.O.P.
09-06-2005, 12:06 AM
I could be wrong but is Golden State even below the salary cap? I don't think so.

Marcus, you seem to have an intense...love...toward getting Pietrus and that is decent enough but you seem to keep thinking that the Spurs would be able to trade them straight up and save the Spurs a few dollars to sign someone else. If I am correct and the Warriors are over the cap, we'd have to take nearly the same amount of salary back and that doesn't put us in the situation you think it could. Trade possibilities have to be limited to teams that are under the cap so we could get a trade exemption we can let expire.

The guy you are mentioning has a good write up but has he even played against high level competition? Maybe someone can educate me regarding this but where do the Brazilian leagues rank amongst the Euroleagues?

marcus
09-06-2005, 12:09 AM
the pitrus situation would all depend if Golden state still have some trade exception. It seems they had 2 that expired some time ago but i don't know if they have some now. But, if it is not Pietrus there could be some other teams interested in Barry.

However, Machado could sign with Cleveland before that could happen.

marcus
09-06-2005, 12:12 AM
The guy you are mentioning has a good write up but has he even played against high level competition? Maybe someone can educate me regarding this but where do the Brazilian leagues rank amongst the Euroleagues?

He played a lot with the brazilian national team and being the captain. In the last few weeks Brazil played the Americas Championship where he had really good stats. That tournament weas the reason as well for the Hawks and Golden State to show interest in the uruguayan, Batista.

JMarkJohns
09-06-2005, 02:19 AM
Spurs have three PG's (Parker, Van Exel and Udrih) already. Why would they need a fourth? Seems like Machado is wasted money to me.

Also, why would the Warriors trade Pietrus for Barry? That's pretty stupid. At least one, maybe two 1st-rounders would need to be thrown in by SA, not just because of the talent of Pietrus, but because of the cost of Barry.

I don't see how any of these moves helps SA right now, nor acomplishes much long-term. Sure, if you could trade Barry for Pietrus straight up, but ya can't. I don't think Pietrus is worth two 1st-rounders to the Spurs.

Finally, Golden State is over the CAP and I do not believe they have a trade exception to use...which, BTW, cannot be packaged with other player(s) to acquire a player of greater cost.

If Golden State was under the CAP, then they could take on the money and send a trade exception to San Antonio, but they aren't.

Admidave50
09-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Also, why would the Warriors trade Pietrus for Barry? That's pretty stupid. At least one, maybe two 1st-rounders would need to be thrown in by SA, not just because of the talent of Pietrus, but because of the cost of Barry.

Agreed, I don't think this trade would make much sense for the Warriors!

JUUOT
09-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Morning shootaround

Staff report

Sept. 6, 2005

Brazilian guard Marcelinho Machado has received an undisclosed offer from the Cleveland Cavaliers, according to sources close to the situation. Machado was named Most Valuable Player of the recently completed Tournament of Americas, which Brazil won. He averaged 23.2 points in 10 games, and was named to an all-tournament team that included NBA players Leandro Barbosa (Phoenix) and Francisco Garcia (Sacramento, rookie). The Cavs have also reportedly invited Venezuelan guard Hector Romero to camp (see below, Sept. 3).

gus
09-06-2005, 09:47 AM
The guy you are mentioning has a good write up but has he even played against high level competition? Maybe someone can educate me regarding this but where do the Brazilian leagues rank amongst the Euroleagues?[/QUOTE]

Far below...

Brazilian league in general terms (Uberlandia is a very good team ) is lower than Argentinean league and Argentinean league is lower than Euroleague.

Gus

WalterBenitez
09-06-2005, 10:03 AM
The spurs are still looking to reduce their salary cap and Machado could be a good player to sign if Barry is finally traded for a player with a low salary.

Machado has good skills and strong mentality to play bball, I really like this guy, even when he play against ARG :makemyday

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-06-2005, 10:27 AM
I don't believe that Machado is what the Spurs need. He is a 30 years old point guard who can ocasionally play as shooting guard (even small forward -at 6'7'', in the Brazilian League-), has a good 3pt. shot, and quick penetrations.

But, he is 30 years old, would need at least one season to adapt to the system, his zonal defense is nothing spectacular and his man to man D is a mystery. Apart from the games played with the Brazilian National Team, the toughest competition he faced in his career was the LEB League in Spain and the Lega 2 in Italy, which would be something like the CBA of those countries. And he lasted one year in each competition before returning to Brazil.

Unless the Spurs are really desperate to get rid of Barry or/and Beno, I don't see the point in offering Machado a contract. At most, he could be a good role player for teams like the Hawks, Cavaliers, Warriors, Bobcats, Hornets, etc.

marcus
09-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Spurs have three PG's (Parker, Van Exel and Udrih) already. Why would they need a fourth? Seems like Machado is wasted money to me.

He is not a pg, he can pass but he is a sg-sf for sure.

FoxMulder
09-06-2005, 04:01 PM
I´d like Marcelinho...

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 10:49 PM
He's been working out this week for the Cavs and Ferry seems to like him. He'll probably end up signing there.