PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Superdome has to come down.

IceColdBrewski
09-05-2005, 11:36 PM
According to Ted Koppel.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-06-2005, 12:21 AM
sucks man, not only is the city decimated, the people devestated, but now the team is being treated like a pawn to gain other cities money

i still cant believe they're forcing them to play 3 away games in a row, possibly even the whole season

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I didn't think the structural damage was that extensive. That place is built like a brick shithouse. I thought the roof just blew off. Perhaps Koppel just meant the entire ROOF has to come down and be rebuilt.

Sucks if they have to condemn it. Some major load-bearing members must have sustained some critical damage.

2centsworth
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
i still cant believe they're forcing them to play 3 away games in a row, possibly even the whole season
Anything to keep them away from San Antonio. Thank Jerry Jones for that.

mcdunk
09-06-2005, 02:00 PM
I didn't think the structural damage was that extensive. That place is built like a brick shithouse. I thought the roof just blew off. Perhaps Koppel just meant the entire ROOF has to come down and be rebuilt.

Sucks if they have to condemn it. Some major load-bearing members must have sustained some critical damage.
Probably some extensive foundation damage also.

If it is to be demolished, that would be one of the last structures to be rebuilt in that city with so much of the city needing to be rebuilt.

CrashMag
09-06-2005, 02:03 PM

With you on this one.. he dont want any comp then
he already has.. 3 texas teams........ I think not
money talks the rest well you know.......

King Manu
09-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Well ladies and Gentlemen. Jerry Jones doesn't care about San Antonio. Tom Benson wants to bring the Saints to San Antonio. Benson for years wanted to bring the Saints to San Antonio, now he got his chance. Jerry Jones can cry and moan all he wants but he doesn't own San Antonio. It's Benson's team and he wants the team here in SA. There's nothing jones can say about that. So let's back up benson and the saints.

King Manu
09-06-2005, 02:22 PM
If the saints come to San Antonio. Let's all go to River Center mall and tell the cowboy shop to close there dooors because the saints are in town.

samikeyp
09-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Well ladies and Gentlemen. Jerry Jones doesn't care about San Antonio.

I would disagree on that.....JJ knows that there are a lot of Cowboys fans here and those fans buy Cowboys gear. He is a business man first and foremost. IMO, he would be against getting a team here.

dknights411
09-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Are there any Cowboys shops in Houston? I wonder?

samikeyp
09-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Katy Mills mall.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Probably some extensive foundation damage also.

I actually doubt that, but we'll see. The normal conditions that the foundation has to endure aren't much different that what it is enduring now; the fact that there is water above ground doesn't change the fact that the ground beneath the structure has been completely saturated since day one.

If it is to be demolished, that would be one of the last structures to be rebuilt in that city with so much of the city needing to be rebuilt.

You would think so, but it might be a symbolic gesture to rebuild it and get tourists and convention traffic back.

blaze89
09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
If the building is damaged due to the hurricane, then chances are the site of the stadium (and perhaps the stadium) may be due government funds - disaster funds - which for those wanting the Saints permanently in San Antonio, may be bad news.

I doubt the Superdome will come down though.

BillsCarnage
09-06-2005, 06:20 PM
CNN.com has the bulletin on it's site that the dome will likely be torn down.

Horry For 3!
09-06-2005, 08:13 PM
The Saints want to play in the Alamodome if they can't play in Baton Rouge.

AlamoSpursFan
09-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Well ladies and Gentlemen. Jerry Jones doesn't care about San Antonio. Tom Benson wants to bring the Saints to San Antonio. Benson for years wanted to bring the Saints to San Antonio, now he got his chance. Jerry Jones can cry and moan all he wants but he doesn't own San Antonio. It's Benson's team and he wants the team here in SA. There's nothing jones can say about that. So let's back up benson and the saints.

Well this cat obviously knows facts that no one else knows. I'm making my SA Saints Season Ticket buying plans RIGHT NOW!

:rolleyes

SWC Bonfire
09-07-2005, 09:37 AM
I heard a figure of $400 mil of damage - 70% of roof destroyed.

I guess no one wants to clean the restrooms.

gameFACE
09-07-2005, 11:30 PM
As will be the case with so many structures in NO there is structural and so much water damage that it is not feasible to try and repair. The water damage for example could cause severe mold and mildew in the future that is not treatable. Not to mention that the water is bacteria infested as it is.

Marcus Bryant
09-08-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm sure the funds will be found at the state level to build a new stadium. The stadium isn't just important when it comes to retaining the Saints, but also for the Super Bowls, Sugar Bowl and conventions that go on in NO. Having a pro-level stadium in NO is huge for that city's tourism business.

Extra Stout
09-08-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm sure the funds will be found at the state level to build a new stadium. The stadium isn't just important when it comes to retaining the Saints, but also for the Super Bowls, Sugar Bowl and conventions that go on in NO. Having a pro-level stadium in NO is huge for that city's tourism business.
That's not a short-term thing, though. NO's tourism and convention business is gone until further notice. It will be a decade or more until things under sufficiently under control to have to think about building a new facility.

Vashner
09-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I think they are just going to tear it down to get the insurance claim...

Because we all know it can be cleaned up and the roof fixed.. it's a steel structure..

cherylsteele
09-08-2005, 03:34 PM

If the Cowboys actually fielded a consistently decent team....Jerry Jones wouldn't have to worry about where the Saints went. Many people seem to be ready to jump off the Cowboy's ship in a heartbeat. This is the main reason I dislike Jerry Jones....I am a cowboy fane but if the Saints move...B-Bye....I have liked the Saints before this anyways...moving them here would only solidify that.

You have 3 solid NBA teams in Texas....what makes the higher-ups think the NFL wouldn't fly here too?