PDA

View Full Version : OT: Why is Tim Duncan severely underrated?

RsxPiimp
04-04-2015, 08:33 AM
ESPN just came out with their Top 20 Athletes in the last 20 years list and Timmy is ranked not only lower than Kobe and Lebron but he's also below Michael Phelps and freaking Peyton Manning.

The disrespect is unbelievable. This is a guy coming off his 5th championship and at age 38 (?) is still dominating the sport of basketball but for some reason he never gets the respect he deserves from the media (no sarcasm). He has the numbers, the championship and all the personal accolades but somehow, he's # 14? They even freaking have self admitted PED/Steroid user Lance Armstong ahead of him.:nope

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/Anniversary-Top20Athletes/20th-anniversary-top-20-athletes

1. Michael Jordan
2. Lebron James
3. Tiger Woods
4. Tom Brady
5. Roger Federer
6. Serena Williams
7. Peyton Manning
8. Kobe Bryant
9. Michael Phelps
10. Derek Jeter

14. Tim Duncan

The man needs to be in the Top 5 IMO. Heck, if you have cheater Brady in it, why can't you have Duncan who has won in practically 2-3 eras of basketball.

Bynumite
04-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Lebeta in 2nd :rollin:lmao:rollin

The writer of this list:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3944/15532610776_b67b5b3457.jpg

:lmao:rollin:lmao

~O~
04-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Because Duncan is a guy they can't make profit off of through casual fans who just watch basketball for the flashiness. His style of play isn't exciting. His style of play is humdrum to the simpleminded. Most of all, he doesn't really have major endorsements.

For some and possibly more of these.reasons alone, the sources are willing to ignore him. They also ignore manu and parker even worse.

Also, the combination of those players and.their location does them no justice.

Location has more to do with it than.anything else. Its the biggest factor when it comes to receiving awards and credit for accolades. Otherwise, you'd have to play out of your mind in a small market to receive that attention.

Koolaid_Man
04-04-2015, 09:00 AM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Lebron James
3. Tiger Woods
4. Tom Brady
5. Roger Federer
6. Serena Williams
7. Peyton Manning
8. Kobe Bryant
9. Michael Phelps
10. Derek Jeter

14. Tim Duncan

Stop all your got dam whining like a bitch....

Peyton, Lebron, and Jeter should not be in the top 10 list....I dont think Brady should be either because he's a fucking cheater..

My list in no particular order is...

MJ
Serena
Tiger
Kobe
Mayweather
Phelps
Federer
Usain Bolt
Duncan
Barry Bonds (remember dude won 7 mvps before the roids...he's a top 3 baseball player all time even without the roids...Barry was a bad muthafucker tbh)

I put Tammy on my list because it's not cool to exclude gay suspects in today's society...lol

AlexJones
04-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Where the fuck is Shaq?

Koolaid_Man
04-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Where the fuck is Shaq?

Shaq was not an athlete he was just a 7 foot giant dude by virtue of genetics who was cursed with a small dick....according to some hooker...lol

TDMVPDPOY
04-04-2015, 09:16 AM
no michael schumacher?

RsxPiimp
04-04-2015, 09:33 AM
no michael schumacher?

I think Michael's team deserves far more credit than Schumacher himself.

Buddy Mignon
04-04-2015, 10:07 AM
ESPN just came out with their Top 20 Athletes in the last 20 years list and Timmy is ranked not only lower than Kobe and Lebron but he's also below Michael Phelps and freaking Peyton Manning.

The disrespect is unbelievable. This is a guy coming off his 5th championship and at age 38 (?) is still dominating the sport of basketball but for some reason he never gets the respect he deserves from the media (no sarcasm). He has the numbers, the championship and all the personal accolades but somehow, he's # 14? They even freaking have self admitted PED/Steroid user Lance Armstong ahead of him.:nope

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/Anniversary-Top20Athletes/20th-anniversary-top-20-athletes

1. Michael Jordan
2. Lebron James
3. Tiger Woods
4. Tom Brady
5. Roger Federer
6. Serena Williams
7. Peyton Manning
8. Kobe Bryant
9. Michael Phelps
10. Derek Jeter

14. Tim Duncan

The man needs to be in the Top 5 IMO. Heck, if you have cheater Brady in it, why can't you have Duncan who has won in practically 2-3 eras of basketball.

You can't expect people to respect a nigga that's been pretty much average throughout his entire fucking career. Sure, he's won some titles but as an individual he hasn't accomplished shit, unless you're counting those two bronze medals...:lol I personally think he was two high on the list.

Buddy Mignon
04-04-2015, 10:08 AM

The writer of this list:

Another smiling white girl sticking to Jimmy again.

scanry
04-04-2015, 10:18 AM

He resurrected Ferrari in the 90's. Much like MJ, he raised the fitness level in F1. I remember reading somewhere that the dude used to live at the test track all winter. He was a sociopath and boy did he dominate.

StrengthAndHonor
04-04-2015, 10:21 AM

The writer of this list:

:lol

StrengthAndHonor
04-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Where the fuck is Shaq?
11th on that list

StrengthAndHonor
04-04-2015, 10:25 AM
To me, I don't have a problem with the list. I'd have Duncan a but higher than Shaq but to have Lance freaking Armstrong who is an admitted cheater above Duncan is outrageous.

StrengthAndHonor
04-04-2015, 10:26 AM
You can't expect people to respect a nigga that's been pretty much average throughout his entire fucking career. Sure, he's won some titles but as an individual he hasn't accomplished shit, unless you're counting those two bronze medals...:lol I personally think he was two high on the list.
How is 3 Finals MVP and 2 Regular season MVP average again? That's far more than Kobe's...

Buddy Mignon
04-04-2015, 10:34 AM
How is 3 Finals MVP and 2 Regular season MVP average again? That's far more than Kobe's...

Ok... I've seen a number player that have won those awards that consider them a team accomplishment. Dare post his stats? Currently Jim is #19 on the all-time list in scoring. That's behind Pierce, KG, Dirk, Shaq, and of course Kobe is waaaaaaay ahead of him.

dbreiden83080
04-04-2015, 11:28 AM
And Lebron so insanely overrated. When his legacy is fully written Lebron will largely be about what he left on the table and didn't do. ESPN may be kissing his ass for his entire career but history will not regard him the way they do..

And Duncan is the greatest NBA player of the post Jordan era..

baseline bum
04-04-2015, 11:35 AM
No one would have given a fuck about Jeter if he played for the Kansas City Royals.

daslicer
04-04-2015, 11:36 AM
And Lebron so insanely overrated. When his legacy is fully written Lebron will largely be about what he left on the table and didn't do. ESPN may be kissing his ass for his entire career but history will not regard him the way they do..

And Duncan is the greatest NBA player of the post Jordan era..

Lebron's legacy will hinge on how many more titles he wins. I think he will have to win atleast 2 more titles for him to have a great legacy. If Lebron doesn't win another title I think he'll have a similar legacy to Shaq.

dbreiden83080
04-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Lebron's legacy will hinge on how many more titles he wins. I think he will have to win atleast 2 more titles for him to have a great legacy. If Lebron doesn't win another title I think he'll have a similar legacy to Shaq.

He lacks the all time great killer instinct. He is probably the most talented player of all time but mentally he tends to overthink and freeze up in big spots. As great as he is the man is not what so many have built him up to be..

Buddy Mignon
04-04-2015, 01:16 PM
He lacks the all time great killer instinct. He is probably the most talented player of all time but mentally he tends to overthink and freeze up in big spots. As great as he is the man is not what so many have built him up to be..

Lebron more talented than Kobe?

Buddy Mignon
04-04-2015, 01:17 PM
And would Clippa fans get the fuck out of this thread. We're measuring greatness here, not small cocks.

DMC
04-04-2015, 01:17 PM
As far as being athletic, Tim isn't even in the top 100.

DMC
04-04-2015, 01:32 PM

I haven't spent much time watching the NBA 1 on 1 league.

Tim has 2x the number of league MVPs as Kobe, and 1 more Finals MVP. He's got the same number of championships. He also won Rookie of the Year.

Face it, lists like these are made by fans of players. There's no reason Kobe Bryant should be even in the top 10, but neither should Tim Duncan. There are guys out there who do it solo in 1 on 1 type sports. Tiger, Roger, Phelps.. All these guys were peerless at the height of their careers. NBA and NFL players rely heavily on front offices to acquire teammates and coaches to make them successful. You'll notice no one is in the top 10 who never won a championship. That says championships matter to those voters. That being the case, having the ability to beat the entire field over and over (in Tiger's case, like a rug) puts them above guys who were just more fortunate in their circumstances.

dbreiden83080
04-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Lebron more talented than Kobe?

I think so but Kobe is the better overall basketball player.. Mentally stronger..

Clipper Nation
04-04-2015, 01:50 PM
:lol Damn, Skip really DOES have an account on ST.

whitemamba
04-04-2015, 02:09 PM
no michael schumacher?

where the fuck is aryton senna is the real question

I think so but Kobe is the better overall basketball player.. Mentally stronger..

Kobe is a more skillful player Lebron is a freak athlete

DMC
04-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Lebron isn't the one on one guy Jordan or even Kobe was, and that's not how he's built up. Whether his impact on the game is because of his presence on the floor or because how teams build around him, his arrival and departures from teams has a profound effect on their success. Too many people look at one on one and that artificial "clutch gene" when judging the greatness of a player, as if a team sport needs a guy to ignore 4 other guys and take over the game, because people have done it. It's also why these lists seem to feature me first type guys over team guys. People want to praise a player and ignore the team, but no NBA player ever won an NBA championship without the team. Still, the focus is always on the player, not on the team. It's as if there's not really a team there, just 5 individuals trying to get individual accolades, and "role" guys who have accepted money over individual notoriety.

DMC
04-04-2015, 02:20 PM

Kobe is a more skillful player Lebron is a freak athlete
You say that like it's true and indisputable. Lebron's 3pt percentage and 2pt percentage over his career are better than Kobe's. How do you judge "skill"? What, a spinning fadeaway in a crowd with 4 teammates wide open?

Let's not even get into assists and rebounds.

whitemamba
04-04-2015, 02:31 PM
You say that like it's true and indisputable. Lebron's 3pt percentage and 2pt percentage over his career are better than Kobe's. How do you judge "skill"? What, a spinning fadeaway in a crowd with 4 teammates wide open?

Let's not even get into assists and rebounds.

easyto get layups when ur 280 lbs

StrengthAndHonor
04-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Ok... I've seen a number player that have won those awards that consider them a team accomplishment. Dare post his stats? Currently Jim is #19 on the all-time list in scoring. That's behind Pierce, KG, Dirk, Shaq, and of course Kobe is waaaaaaay ahead of him.
In context, Duncan's all around game easily puts Kobe's scoring output. I'm not sure why Kobe's points total is a huge deal.

Buddy Mignon
04-04-2015, 03:10 PM
In context, Duncan's all around game easily puts Kobe's scoring output. I'm not sure why Kobe's points total is a huge deal.

Its a big deal because so few have gone over 30k points. Only one has gone over 30k in points and 6k in assists and thats Kobe. For you to sit here and claim Jim had a better all around game than Kobe... its just rediculous. Lets not forget the fact that Kobe dominates Jim head to head... with or without Shaq. Kobe has defended his title three times while Jim has never made it back to the finals to even attempt to defend it. Ive said it before... Kobes highs are much greater than Jims and Jims lows are much greater than Kobes.

Strange Love
04-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Tiger Woods at 3rd. :lmao

"Athlete" :lol

Thebesteva
04-04-2015, 06:08 PM

The writer of this list:

http://i.minus.com/iBEwT7tEC0X2B.gif

Thebesteva
04-04-2015, 06:09 PM
All BS aside, how the fuck is Tim Duncan behind LBJ? He owns Lebrons ass in the finals, he owns Lebron's life.

RsxPiimp
04-04-2015, 06:40 PM
All BS aside, how the fuck is Tim Duncan behind LBJ? He owns Lebrons ass in the finals, he owns Lebron's life.
Seriously :lol That shit don't make sense.

scanry
04-04-2015, 08:08 PM

Ayrton died in 1994.

DMC
04-04-2015, 09:17 PM

Never seen anyone layup a 3pt shot.

Jenks
04-05-2015, 08:16 PM

The writer of this list:

:lmao:rollin:lmaoGood lord I'm glad this isn't hi res so I can't see the hairs growing out of that thing

TampaDude
04-05-2015, 08:38 PM

Easy to miss shots when you're a $48.5 million chucking faggot. :lol

whitemamba
04-06-2015, 12:04 AM
Easy to miss shots when you're a $48.5 million chucking faggot. :lol

While ur a broke ass nigga- life sucks faggot.

Kidd K
04-06-2015, 03:53 PM
List seems to be based on popularity and ESPN coverage rather than actual accomplishments

Splits
04-07-2015, 12:09 AM

If only her ass was 4-times the size of her head, Thebesteva (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42939) would be pounding this

spurraider21
04-07-2015, 12:36 AM
Never seen anyone layup a 3pt shot.
sounds like something giannis could do one of these days

Thebesteva
04-07-2015, 01:16 AM
If only her ass was 4-times the size of her head, Thebesteva (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42939) would be pounding this

lol u put ur quote as fucking supermodels? Sigh...oh Internets

spurraider21
04-07-2015, 01:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hOhlbfNPRM

Thebesteva
04-07-2015, 03:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hOhlbfNPRM

:lol

da_suns_fan
04-07-2015, 08:37 AM
He resurrected Ferrari in the 90's. Much like MJ, he raised the fitness level in F1. I remember reading somewhere that the dude used to live at the test track all winter. He was a sociopath and boy did he dominate.

I met him a couple of months before his accident at laguna seca. Got a picture too hanging in my office.

da_suns_fan
04-07-2015, 08:40 AM
As for this thread:

1) Duncan wasnt exciting
2) Duncan was never dominant
3) The Spurs never repeat.

14 seems a bit high, TBH.

King Emmanuel
04-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Timmys aint a coon but white people seem to love him

04-07-2015, 01:32 PM
As for this thread:

1) Duncan wasnt exciting
2) Duncan was never dominant
3) The Spurs never repeat.

14 seems a bit high, TBH.
5 NBA world championships

scanry
04-08-2015, 04:31 AM
I met him a couple of months before his accident at laguna seca. Got a picture too hanging in my office.

He donated a ton of his earnings to charity. I remember him donating $10 mil to the Asian tsunami aid. Even before his accident, he donated $500K to the victims of the German floods back in 2013.

Started watching F1 in 1996. The 1998 season is still my favorite season. Miss the Speed TV coverage.

Stalin
04-08-2015, 05:35 AM

ikr :lol

unleashbaynes
04-08-2015, 08:19 AM
:lmao :lmao Serena Williams

unleashbaynes
04-08-2015, 08:21 AM
Tiger Woods at 3rd. :lmao

"Athlete" :lol
Golfers now are way more athletic though and the winnings are exponentially higher all because of Tiger. That golf swing is athletic AF.

OldSilentHill
04-08-2015, 09:57 AM
LOL at Le-Choke at number 2. :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

LOL at Roger freaking Federer in any place that isnīt 1st or 2nd spot :nope

:rolleyes

OldSilentHill
04-08-2015, 09:59 AM
5 NBA world championships

Duncan should be top 8, no question.

But please stop that "world" shit. Even SAS organization disagrees with that.

J.T.
04-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Duncan's position on lists like this should rise after he retires and people see what the game is like without him. However, Duncan is about to turn, what, 39? Late term Millennials probably don't even know who the fuck he is.

The serious answer is that he's underrated because he plays basketball in San Antonio.

04-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Duncan should be top 8, no question.

But please stop that "world" shit. Even SAS organization disagrees with that.

Lmao I know it just sounds good