PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Salary cap for 16-17

maverick1948
04-04-2015, 03:09 PM
With the increase in revenue, the players are going to have higher salaries. But I have a question for you.

What do you do with the increase in available cap money?

I suggest that the NBA expand the roster from 15 to 18 players. Allow the teams to keep 12 players available for games and 6 in the Dleague on salary. Use the dleague like a minor league system. Instead of having to watch players go to Europe for better pay, make them a high enough salary to stay and work toward making an NBA roster. If they dont make it in dleague then they have the option to go to Europe. Two teams (ie San Antonio and Dallas) could operate a dleague team together with their 6 players each on the roster. Instead of having 10 day contracts, teams could call up players to fill in for injured players. Should a player but ruled out for the season, another player could be added to dleague team. Set a max and min salary for dleague players at top 2nd round max and minimum of 50% of that figure. Have the dleague season end March 15 with 2 rounds of playoffs. Allow the NBA teams to expand rosters on April 1 to allow teams to see the progress of players against NBA level teams.

Mal
04-05-2015, 07:47 AM
There wont be money for 18 players. Star will be earning 30 mil rather than 20. Starter annual salary will start at 10mil, rather than 7 or something.

TDMVPDPOY
04-05-2015, 09:18 AM
increase in cap does not mean teams should be overpaying for fkn scrubs from bench roster anything after the 8th man...

AlexJones
04-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Max contract should be half the cap.

DMC
04-05-2015, 12:37 PM
All the cap increase will do is allow richer teams to have better rosters.

cd021
04-05-2015, 03:16 PM
With the increase in revenue, the players are going to have higher salaries. But I have a question for you.

What do you do with the increase in available cap money?

I suggest that the NBA expand the roster from 15 to 18 players. Allow the teams to keep 12 players available for games and 6 in the Dleague on salary. Use the dleague like a minor league system. Instead of having to watch players go to Europe for better pay, make them a high enough salary to stay and work toward making an NBA roster. If they dont make it in dleague then they have the option to go to Europe. Two teams (ie San Antonio and Dallas) could operate a dleague team together with their 6 players each on the roster. Instead of having 10 day contracts, teams could call up players to fill in for injured players. Should a player but ruled out for the season, another player could be added to dleague team. Set a max and min salary for dleague players at top 2nd round max and minimum of 50% of that figure. Have the dleague season end March 15 with 2 rounds of playoffs. Allow the NBA teams to expand rosters on April 1 to allow teams to see the progress of players against NBA level teams.

There were rumors of expansion, I posted an article a year or so ago about the NBA potentially looking into expanding into Kentucky and Seattle. Adding two teams would cut down the salary cap for each team (instead of half the Basketball Related Revenue divided by 30, it would be divided by 32)

That does make some sense. I don't think adding up to 90 players would make a major difference. Most of those guys are vet mins and 2nd rounders or journey men.

D league reform should be a big prority in the next CBA. Expand to 30 affilates, with maybe even a few additional run by the NBA in test markets like in Las Vegas. Increase the salary to make it more competitive. And make it easier for high school or college players to join teams instead of being force to play for the NCAA.