PDA

View Full Version : A real " Commitment to excellence "

SilverSpur
04-05-2015, 01:21 AM
The Spurs reaching 50 wins for the 18 year in a row is amazing. I say 18 because the 99' season was very much a fifty win season, (37-13) we needed 13 more wins with 32 games to play.
If David Robinson doesn't get hurt during the 96-97 season we could add four more seasons of 50 wins to that, but if he doesn't get hurt we don't win the lottery and get Duncan.
In 39 years we have only six losing seasons and two 41-41 seasons.
Five years of 60+ wins, 21 years of 50 to 59 wins and five years of 44-49 wins.
The Spurs have been winners since the beginning and I expect them to continue into the future.
The phrase " Commitment to Excellence " should belong to us, for we are the true example of what it is to win and win consistantly.
Next year will be our 40th season in the NBA and I fully expect a 50 win year.
Hope you guys really appreciate what the Spurs have done, now and from the beginning.
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:

cjw
04-05-2015, 01:29 AM
50-16 in 2012-13 was basically a 60 win season too extrapolated over 82 games

Sean Cagney
04-05-2015, 02:38 AM
Greatest team I root for by far, period.

venitian navigator
04-05-2015, 04:16 AM
a 50 win season on 82 games is more than a 60 %; considering there have been two season under 82 games the only right way to consider our winning way it is by percentages. In that sense, Spurs had 18 seasons at a pace of winning by more more than 60 % of the games played...

exstatic
04-05-2015, 07:13 AM
This is the Spurs 39th NBA season. They have missed the playoffs 4 times.

Harry Callahan
04-05-2015, 11:23 AM
The SAS franchise has been really good throughout its time in the NBA, but Duncan's stay here just made everything work incredibly well.

Tonight's opponent, the Golden State Warriors, have for the most part been a non-factor in the NBA since the Spurs were merged into the league from the ABA. I appreciate the level attained by the Spurs for sure.

I think they will figure out a way to stay at a high level even after Tim walks away in the next year or two. I hope TD sticks around one more year - I think he will.

The Reckoning
04-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Tim and Dirk will play until the wheels fall off

Spur|n|Austin
04-05-2015, 12:36 PM

Wow.. Excellence.

exstatic
04-05-2015, 01:07 PM

Wow.. Excellence.

Two of those times resulted in the picks that became DRob and Duncan. A third was the pick that resulted in Sean Elliott, whose jersey hangs in the rafters at the ATT Center, retired by this storied franchise. The fourth pick was Alvin Robertson, one of four players in NBA history who has a recorded quadruple double. Talent was never his problem, character was. He was a six time All Defensive team selection, four time ASG selection, and one time All NBA selection, and also won DPOY and most improved player in 1986.

itzsoweezee
04-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Let's face it, during the pre-popovich era, the spurs were not a well run team. San Antonio was a team full of scrubs with the exception of Robinson and Elliott, which the organization lucked in to.

exstatic
04-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Let's face it, during the pre-popovich era, the spurs were not a well run team. San Antonio was a team full of scrubs with the exception of Robinson and Elliott, which the organization lucked in to.

Ice - Not a scrub
Kenon - not a scrub
Silas - not a scrub

This was a VERY good, non championship team. They have a better history than MOST franchises entire histories. The worst you can say about the pre-Pop Spurs is that they were the Suns of their era.

itzsoweezee
04-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Ice - Not a scrub
Kenon - not a scrub
Silas - not a scrub

This was a VERY good, non championship team. They have a better history than MOST franchises entire histories. The worst you can say about the pre-Pop Spurs is that they were the Suns of their era.

They wasted David Robinson's best years with scrubs like vinny del negro, Terry Cummings, Antoine Carr, Jr Reid, and those were the half decent players.

Ron Swanson
04-05-2015, 04:18 PM

This is an amazing stat.

exstatic
04-05-2015, 05:41 PM
They wasted David Robinson's best years with scrubs like vinny del negro, Terry Cummings, Antoine Carr, Jr Reid, and those were the half decent players.

That was a function of money. A lot of people weren't aware of it, but after Sean's recuperation from his kidney transplant, and subsequent retirement, the Spurs had to borrow money ($6M) from him to build their practice center in anticipation of their move to the ATT Center. They had to tap credit lines more than once to MAKE PAYROLL.

SilverSpur
04-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Your right. 50-16 would have been a 60 win year. I didn't catch that.