PDA

View Full Version : Bill Don't Lie - BS Podcast talks Kawhi Leonard and the Spurs

manufan10
04-06-2015, 08:29 PM
Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe discuss Kawhi Leonard. Starts around the 19 minute mark.

Cliff notes version:

1.) BS compares Kawhi to Scottie Pippen.
2.) Zach Lowe says Kawhi is one of the 10 best players in the league right now.
3.) Discuss his contract situation. Both think it will be interesting to see how it plays out and how the Spurs respond.
4.) Both think the Spurs are looking like the Spurs again, and Zach Lowe thinks they could be the favorites.
5.) BS thinks the Spurs should want to face the Warriors in the early round of the playoffs. Says the Warriors are still inexperienced in the playoffs, so there would be some doubt that creeps in. Zach Lowe kind of disagrees says inexperience doesn't bother him. If Spurs win it's because the Spurs are awesome.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-dont-lie-podcast-zach-lowe-on-anthony-davis-kawhi-leonard-and-more/
Direct link to the podcast: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12630135

Malik Hairston
04-06-2015, 08:36 PM
I've been saying #5 for a few weeks, but not for the experience reason, I agree with Lowe that it's overplayed and largely irrelevant IMO..

I want them earlier for mileage reasons..I don't want a repeat of the 2008 Hornets series(which could be the case in a potential series vs. Houston or LA) where the Spurs were dead for the WCFs against the Lakers..a 5 seed matchup against a mediocre Blazers team wouldn't be physical, and it would keep Duncan/Ginobili/Parker fresh for round 2, no accumulated mileage..

The only reason to avoid a team until later is out of hope that somebody else will beat them first..realistically, the only team in the West that can beat the Warriors in a series, outside of the Spurs, is potentially the Clippers IMO, and they're virtually a lock for a top 3 seed, thus eliminating the possibility of a Warriors-Clippers 2nd round matchup..

itzsoweezee
04-06-2015, 09:49 PM
It's amazing how little Bill Simmons knows about basketball. Does he seriously think the Spurs are going to offer less than the max to Kawhi? Moron.

The only question is whether Kawhi's going to take a one year deal and really max out the following year. In that case, the Spurs are screwed.

Cry Havoc
04-06-2015, 09:56 PM
It's amazing how little Bill Simmons knows about basketball. Does he seriously think the Spurs are going to offer less than the max to Kawhi? Moron.

The only question is whether Kawhi's going to take a one year deal and really max out the following year. In that case, the Spurs are screwed.

Simmons is very knowledgeable. But he has a lot of time to fill. If he says, "oh the Spurs will offer Kawhi the max and he'll take it", what does that do for his show? He's speculating for the sake of interesting hypotheticals. Plus I'm sure he's hoping Kawhi goes to Boston somehow. :lol

ddjeffries
04-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Simmons is very knowledgeable. But he has a lot of time to fill. If he says, "oh the Spurs will offer Kawhi the max and he'll take it", what does that do for his show? He's speculating for the sake of interesting hypotheticals. Plus I'm sure he's hoping Kawhi goes to Boston somehow. :lol

Nah he'd still take Timmy to boston. lol

HI-FI
04-06-2015, 10:05 PM
I don't mind his basketball opinions, other than that whiny voice. His football takes are really annoying though. It's basically "Brady is so hot right now" followed by 80s reference and then a story about his GOAT father.

Malik Hairston
04-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Simmons is knowledgeable but he doesn't have the same appeal as he once did due to the evolution of new basketball media, tbh..

He stood out for years because he was maybe the only mainstream personality that didn't think like a casual fan among the sea of terrible, antiquated takes from fossils like Wilbon, Kornheiser and shitty ex-players..nowadays, NBA coverage is full of hardcore fans like Lowe, El-Hassan and all the True Hoop guys that understand how to analyze basketball outside of using corny cliches like "will to win" and points scored:lol..

He has naturally transformed into a more mainstream "analyst" with the increased fame, though..takes like DeAndre Jordan is DPOY is as mainstream as it gets:lol..

To his credit, he's one of, if not the pioneer of new NBA media..

apalisoc_9
04-06-2015, 10:32 PM
I like simmons..Listen to his podcast.

Lowe knows tons of shit...one of my favorite media guys.

Simmons does have the tendency to change his opinion a lot..So it does show that he's open to being wrong.

apalisoc_9
04-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Also shows he is not intellectually dishonest.

Most EX-players, IMO are intellectually dishonest.

coachmac87
04-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Bill Simmons is the shit....He knows his stuff but like somebody said he likes to think outside the box with all circumstances opens and tries to throw maybe a little too much against the wall hoping it sticks.

But overall he's a great writer and very funny and has solid takes. Him, Russillo and Lowe know the best about ball in the media

Drachen
04-06-2015, 11:01 PM
I really wish I could get behind listening to podcasts. I just totally prefer a good long article.

marinoman
04-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe discuss Kawhi Leonard. Starts around the 19 minute mark.

Cliff notes version:

1.) BS compares Kawhi to Scottie Pippen.
2.) Zach Lowe says Kawhi is one of the 10 best players in the league right now.
3.) Discuss his contract situation. Both think it will be interesting to see how it plays out and how the Spurs respond.
4.) Both think the Spurs are looking like the Spurs again, and Zach Lowe thinks they could be the favorites.
5.) BS thinks the Spurs should want to face the Warriors in the early round of the playoffs. Says the Warriors are still inexperienced in the playoffs, so there would be some doubt that creeps in. Zach Lowe kind of disagrees says inexperience doesn't bother him. If Spurs win it's because the Spurs are awesome.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-dont-lie-podcast-zach-lowe-on-anthony-davis-kawhi-leonard-and-more/
Direct link to the podcast: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12630135
a few days ago bill and russilo said gsw were the clear favorites (the one with sjax)
and i think on d he resembles scottie on O maybe joe johnson

mudyez
04-07-2015, 01:47 AM
Didn't hear it yet, but its funny how Zach Low said 3 or 4 days ago, that he would take GS over the field to win it all this season.

Don't get me wrong...I like Bill and Zach...but it shows what one regular season game can change.

spurraider21
04-07-2015, 01:53 AM
Simmons is knowledgeable but he doesn't have the same appeal as he once did due to the evolution of new basketball media, tbh..

He stood out for years because he was maybe the only mainstream personality that didn't think like a casual fan among the sea of terrible, antiquated takes from fossils like Wilbon, Kornheiser and shitty ex-players..nowadays, NBA coverage is full of hardcore fans like Lowe, El-Hassan and all the True Hoop guys that understand how to analyze basketball outside of using corny cliches like "will to win" and points scored:lol..

He has naturally transformed into a more mainstream "analyst" with the increased fame, though..takes like DeAndre Jordan is DPOY is as mainstream as it gets:lol..

To his credit, he's one of, if not the pioneer of new NBA media..
somewhat true. he was something of a pioneer since he always wrote from the perspective of a fan, and not some bland analyst. spurfan will always like him since he says good things about them all the time and hates on kobe/the lakers

cd021
04-07-2015, 03:20 AM

you don't listen to his podcasts, apparently. He's solid. He didn't suggest that they would offer less. He said Kawhi was a true max player and that teams would be lining up to offer him a deal to nap him or to force the Spurs into a corner with the 3 day window to use the cap space before having to match.

cd021
04-07-2015, 03:21 AM
Didn't hear it yet, but its funny how Zach Low said 3 or 4 days ago, that he would take GS over the field to win it all this season.

Don't get me wrong...I like Bill and Zach...but it shows what one regular season game can change.
Lowe also said that he wouldn't be shocked if the Spurs beat the Warriors...

lefty
04-07-2015, 06:30 AM
Lowe isn't bad, but he blurts out some stupid shit sometimes