PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi for MVP consideration

dabom
04-08-2015, 01:51 AM
:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::w orthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::wor thy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worth y::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: :worthy::worthy:

apalisoc_9
04-08-2015, 01:56 AM
they were talking about it on NBATV before the game against the thunder.

:lol

He pretty much has locked an ALL-NBA team in a span of 10 games. :lol

dabom
04-08-2015, 01:58 AM
they were talking about it on NBATV before the game against the thunder.

He pretty much has locked an ALL-NBA team in a span of 10 games. :lol

He took the DPOY award in one game too. :lmao

Baynes
04-08-2015, 04:25 AM
but but but... we're the Spurs. We shouldn't be recognized :(

midnightpulp
04-08-2015, 05:12 AM
Should be top 5 in voting. Won't happen though, since the media loves their PPG.

DJR210
04-08-2015, 05:14 AM
If he rips Harden a few times he locks up MVP tomorrow night.

Mal
04-08-2015, 05:17 AM
The gap between Curry and Harden over rest of the league is way too big. I don`t think any other player should receive 1st place vote.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-08-2015, 05:21 AM
lol @ MVP, but he should be on the 2nd or 3rd all-NBA team. He has two games against Harden, in which he could steal the DPOY from Jordan.

spursparker9
04-08-2015, 05:48 AM
Just aim for the All Defensive 1st team for now tbh

pookenstein
04-08-2015, 06:43 AM
The gap between Curry and Harden over rest of the league is way too big. I don`t think any other player should receive 1st place vote.

LBJ...

exstatic
04-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Just aim for the All Defensive 1st team for now tbh

That should be a lock. He was second team last year, and PG-13, who was first team, just now started playing this season.

manufan10
04-08-2015, 07:37 AM
He missed too many games to be in the MVP discussion, unfortunately. That was the knock that some were already using for DPOY, but after his defensive showing against GSW people starting singing a different tune. I don't know if he can do much to really be considered an MVP this late in the season, but he can definitely wrap up the DPOY with some solid outings against Harden like others have mentioned.

Mal
04-08-2015, 07:50 AM
LBJ...

What about him ? Only Cleveland reporters will vote for him ahead of Harden/Curry. You can make strong case for him for being 3rd. Him or Westbrook.

hooperflash
04-08-2015, 09:37 AM
It's funny to me that the media says that their DPOY would be Kawhi if he hadn't missed that many games. I think he's played in 59 games yet Lebron is still in the conversation for being MVP when he's only played around 66 games this season. Double standard.

daslicer
04-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Definitely not MVP this year but if he can consistently play like he has the last few weeks next year than he will be in the running for it.

manufan10
04-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Someone posted on Twitter last night that it's possible for Kawhi to end up with 2 FMVPs before getting one all-star appearance. Pretty crazy to think about.

100%duncan
04-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Someone posted on Twitter last night that it's possible for Kawhi to end up with 2 FMVPs before getting one all-star appearance. Pretty crazy to think about.
Media tbh.

Nba=fuckes

buttsR4rebounding
04-08-2015, 10:06 AM
I bet he ends up with his first Player of the Week for this week if he plays well against Houstonx2.

FkLA
04-08-2015, 10:10 AM

apalisoc_9
04-08-2015, 10:17 AM

:lmao

damn Kawhi is building a name for himself.

I think the 2000-2008 Guys love Kawhi because his cornrows remind them of the their era..Srs. :lol

Last night jerry Stockhouse said there is no better player than Leonard outside of the top 5 MVP candidate this year.

I don't want Leonard to be getting undeserved recognition..I feel like he thrives out of lack or recognition.

DDUBB1770
04-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Can't believe I'm saying this bit it should be Westbrook with all the injuries on that team and they are still in the playoff hunt... Damn that boy good! Curry is on a great team and Harden is a chucker that gets crazy amount of free throws. Westbrook Curry LBJ Harden

FromWayDowntown
04-08-2015, 12:28 PM
No chance he's the MVP and I'd wonder about anyone who named him on a ballot for that award; I don't think he's legitimately among the 5 best choices for league MVP.

I do think he should be an absolute lock to make the All-Defense First Team and I'd be sort of surprised at this point if he doesn't end up at least Third Team All-League.

He might garner enough votes to make a run at DPOY, which I think he should win though I doubt he will.

And I'd forego all of that (for him, of course) if we were ensured that this team would make another 20-25 game playoff run and have another chance at the big gold ball.

Brazil
04-08-2015, 12:29 PM

:lol Metta with the goods

Brazil
04-08-2015, 12:30 PM
also :lol steven and Kawai

MultiTroll
04-08-2015, 12:43 PM
Any chance Kwa will be guarding Beard from the get go?
Or no way, that will be Green?

:lol Artest with the proper medicating (or ceased medicating) is actually making sense.

MultiTroll
04-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Timmy has no doubt schooled Kwa how the bullshit media awards go.

Another legit Championship supersedes all in spades.

KL2
04-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Leonard doing what I've always known is capable from him.

The media still thinks it's all Manu/parker/Duncan still, he probably won't get his dues until they retire, but it's w/ever. 1 more FMVP and he will cement his status as an ATG

cantthinkofanything
04-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Leonard doing what I've always known is capable from him.

The media still thinks it's all Manu/parker/Duncan still, he probably won't get his dues until they retire, but it's w/ever. 1 more FMVP and he will cement his status as an ATG

What media are you watching? Everybody is talking about KL. He's getting the recognition that he's earned and it's good to see.

KL2
04-08-2015, 01:21 PM
What media are you watching? Everybody is talking about KL. He's getting the recognition that he's earned and it's good to see.

I don't really watch TV, but it seems like whenever people are talking about the Spurs they still think it's all the Big 3, not really mentioning Green/Leonard.

cantthinkofanything
04-08-2015, 01:24 PM
I don't really watch TV, but it seems like whenever people are talking about the Spurs they still think it's all the Big 3, not really mentioning Green/Leonard.

Oh OK. You said, "media" so I was wondering who you were watching or listening to that wasn't giving KL major props.

hater
04-08-2015, 01:25 PM
if he takes this play deep into the playoffs Ima gonna have to retire the Matrix nickname :lol

eric365
04-08-2015, 01:38 PM
He'll get Parker spot from the last 3 seasons with an All NBA team 2nd or 3rd team and a 5th to 10th spot in MVP voting (I'd say 8 or 9)

He played really great the last 10 games or so. Let's see if he can keep up consistently now on a whole playoff or RS

cjw
04-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Getting way ahead of ourselves, but two finals MVPs and you're basically a guaranteed HOFer, right, even if you fall off the face of the earth?

6 - Jordan
3 - Magic, Duncan, Shaq
2 - Kareem, Bird, Hakeem, Kobe, Lebron, Willis Reed

Mel_13
04-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Getting way ahead of ourselves, but two finals MVPs and you're basically a guaranteed HOFer, right, even if you fall off the face of the earth?

6 - Jordan
3 - Magic, Duncan, Shaq

Well, there's never been a two-time FMVP that fell off the face of the earth. Every player on your list, with the possible exception of Reed, would have been a HOFer even if he never appeared in an NBA Final.

Cry Havoc
04-08-2015, 01:51 PM
If he rips Harden a few times he locks up MVP tomorrow night.

Not a chance in hell.

Budkin
04-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Can't say about MVP someday, but he won't ever win DOPY because he doesn't scream and chest pound. The way it will always be.

dabom
04-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Not a chance in hell.

Your right. He doesn't even need to do anything. He has already been crowned.

cantthinkofanything
04-08-2015, 01:54 PM
Well, there's never been a two-time FMVP that fell off the face of the earth. Every player on your list, with the possible exception of Reed, would have been a HOFer even if he never appeared in an NBA Final.

I'm not sure about that. Would Kobe really be a HOF if he never got to the Finals? Or would he be thought of as TMac of Vince Carter. Another player with great potential that could never lead a team. I don't know. My guess is he'd make it but certainly not a slam dunk of a decision. IMO.

Ah. Nevermind. I guess he'd be like Gervin, English, et al. Guess I've gotten locked into the idea that a player has to ring to be great now.

will_spurs
04-08-2015, 01:54 PM

6 - Jordan
3 - Magic, Duncan, Shaq

Actually even one FMVP pretty much guarantees a spot in the HoF. I remember checking a few years ago to see if it increased Parker's chances to make it (that was back when he was "on the bubble", now it's a foregone conclusion) and there were only 2 eligible former FMVPs who weren't in the HoF.

One was Jo Jo White, and he's being inducted this year. The other is Cedric Maxwell and all he has on his resume is 2 rings with Boston and a FMVP. No All-Star, All-NBA, All-Defensive selection, not even a Rookie team, MVP vote or anything.

All the ineligible players are locks to get in (namely: Shaq, Tim, Billups, Wade, Tony, Pierce, Kobe, Dirk and Lebron--Billups being the most borderline of all and still pretty much guaranteed to get in).

All this to say that a FMVP doesn't simply fall into a player's lap, especially at such a young age. Kawhi would have to have a very short or extremely disappointing career not to make it to the HoF.

Mel_13
04-08-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure about that. Would Kobe really be a HOF if he never got to the Finals? Or would he be thought of as TMac of Vince Carter. Another player with great potential that could never lead a team. I don't know. My guess is he'd make it but certainly not a slam dunk of a decision. IMO.

Ah. Nevermind. I guess he'd be like Gervin, English, et al. Guess I've gotten locked into the idea that a player has to ring to be great now.

He's third on the all time scoring list. He's a mortal lock based on that alone.

cantthinkofanything
04-08-2015, 02:00 PM
He's third on the all time scoring list. He's a mortal lock based on that alone.

Yeah. No doubt. I had on my Laker hating glasses when I started the post.

DJR210
04-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Not a chance in hell.

Go paint your face some more. Kawhi is your reigning MVP, Finals MVP, DPOY, scoring champ, comeback player of the year, and coach of the year.

will_spurs
04-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Indeed of the current crop of FMVP most of them are guaranteed first ballot inductees: Shaq, Kobe, Tim, Dirk and Lebron. They've all been the absolute best players of the last 20 years. I would put Tony, Wade and Pierce in a second tier, and Billups a slight notch below that. All of them still get in without a FMVP anyway.

There's going to be one interesting question re: regular season MVPs though: is Derrick Rose going to be the first MVP not to get into the HoF?

Cry Havoc
04-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Your right. He doesn't even need to do anything. He has already been crowned.

So "your" willing to go on record and say he's going to win the MVP?

Cry Havoc
04-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Go paint your face some more. Kawhi is your reigning MVP, Finals MVP, DPOY, scoring champ, comeback player of the year, and coach of the year.

:rollin Also P4P #1 boxer in Uzbekistan even over Boxcar Louie and Floyd Mayweather.

dabom
04-08-2015, 02:07 PM
So "your" willing to go on record and say he's going to win the MVP?

:lol I thought we were talking about DPOY. :lmao

Yeah he not winning MVP. lol

cantthinkofanything
04-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Indeed of the current crop of FMVP most of them are guaranteed first ballot inductees: Shaq, Kobe, Tim, Dirk and Lebron. They've all been the absolute best players of the last 20 years. I would put Tony, Wade and Pierce in a second tier, and Billups a slight notch below that. All of them still get in without a FMVP anyway.

There's going to be one interesting re: regular season MVPs though: is Derrick Rose going to be the first MVP not to get into the HoF?

I think I'd have Wade in a higher group than Pierce and Tony. Hard to put him in there with your top tier. But I think he's superior to the other 2. Didn't need the help that Tony did to win a ring.

Is Iverson a shoo-in for HOF?

will_spurs
04-08-2015, 02:12 PM
I think I'd have Wade in a higher group than Pierce and Tony. Hard to put him in there with your top tier. But I think he's superior to the other 2. Didn't need the help that Tony did to win a ring.

It's true, he's somewhere in between. More dominant than Pierce and Tony, but not quite as influential as the guys in the top tier. I discounted his achievements a bit because he was often injured, but that's a bit unfair as he has maintained a very high level of play for many many years.

Is Iverson a shoo-in for HOF?

Clearly. Likely first ballot too. One of the most prolific scorers ever and brought a rather lame 76ers team to the Finals.

EDIT: for the record he's at 26.7ppg 6.2apg for his career, 11x All-Star, 7x All-NBA, 1x MVP, ranked 24th all-time in MVP votes, 4x scoring champion, ranked 7th all-time ppg, 12th in steals etc.

wildchild
04-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Any chance Kwa will be guarding Beard from the get go?
Or no way, that will be Green?

Harden killed the Spurs and Kawhi previous seasons and it's likely that Pop'll put him on Harden these two games. But why force Kawhi to exhaust himself defending the Beard when that never worked? We can get Danny on him doing the job and let Kawhi play his elite help-defense with the bigs.

cantthinkofanything
04-08-2015, 02:22 PM
It's true, he's somewhere in between. More dominant than Pierce and Tony, but not quite as influential as the guys in the top tier. I discounted his achievements a bit because he was often injured, but that's a bit unfair as he has maintained a very high level of play for many many years.

Clearly. Likely first ballot too. One of the most prolific scorers ever and brought a rather lame 76ers team to the Finals.

EDIT: for the record he's at 26.7ppg 6.2apg for his career, 11x All-Star, 7x All-NBA, 1x MVP, ranked 24th all-time in MVP votes, 4x scoring champion, ranked 7th all-time ppg, 12th in steals etc.

Yeah. He is in for sure. I think I'm overestimating what it takes. Although Iverson gets in under any scenario with those numbers. I just realized that Mitch Richmond made it. Great player but if I use him as a bar, Iverson is a no-brainer.

will_spurs
04-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Yeah. He is in for sure. I think I'm overestimating what it takes. Although Iverson gets in under any scenario with those numbers. I just realized that Mitch Richmond made it. Great player but if I use him as a bar, Iverson is a no-brainer.

Yeah that's a usual discussion. Some people would prefer a HoF with only legends like the guys in my first tier, maybe you're one of them. Right now 6-5 All-Star/All-NBA selections and a couple of dominant seasons seem to be enough... A MVP trophy is a lock to get in.

Nathan89
04-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Leonard is easy to like for former players. Dude is low key and plays hard. In regards to Metta's love of Kawhi he probably reminds him of himself. Kawhi plays tough D and he bullying people on offense these days as well. Kawhi just has a much better shot.

Nathan89
04-08-2015, 02:40 PM
If Curry didn't torch are other guys when not being guarded by Kawhi to make it look like he had a reasonable game and Harden would've performed well against Kawhi it could've been a difference maker in the MVP voting.

cantthinkofanything
04-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Yeah that's a usual discussion. Some people would prefer a HoF with only legends like the guys in my first tier, maybe you're one of them. Right now 6-5 All-Star/All-NBA selections and a couple of dominant seasons seem to be enough... A MVP trophy is a lock to get in.

I don't think it should be top tier guys. Everyone can rattle of those names even if they never saw them play. Wilt, Kareem, Jordan, Kobe, Duncan, etc. But I like to see players in there whose greatness was really only truly appreciated by those who saw them play. Seems like it makes it more personal to each generation. It's cool to have those players get in from time to time that make an old timer say, "yeah...I remember when he used to ...".

rasuo214
04-08-2015, 04:43 PM
If the Spurs get the 2nd seed then why not get some consideration? It's clear how important he is to the team and if he keeps playing like this to end the season then he should at least be among the top 10.