PDA

View Full Version : Baynes is earning his money

Nero5
04-08-2015, 06:02 AM
Baynes did a good job on Adams today - really didn't miss splitter that much. Drew a charge on Westbrook as well, he has developed well this year.

Macca76
04-08-2015, 06:08 AM
Indeed. He has proven to be Spurs material IMO and has nicely improved. Good attitude and provides rebounding, scoring and toughness when needed.

Nero5
04-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Good point on the attitude - no-nonsense and just plays ball and never gets tangled up in snarky crap. A good foil for Adams/Perkins et al.

Fireball
04-08-2015, 06:54 AM
The real challenge will come with the Rockets. Baynes' positional defense is not as good as Splitter's, so I expect more alley oop dunkings just because Aron's defensive intelligence is lacking in that regard.

urunobili
04-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Is he on a 1 or 2 year contract?

Cane
04-08-2015, 07:12 AM
tbh Baynes ≥ RoLo

Spurs are so deep

Nero5
04-08-2015, 07:14 AM
The real challenge will come with the Rockets. Baynes' positional defense is not as good as Splitter's, so I expect more alley oop dunkings just because Aron's defensive intelligence is lacking in that regard.

I don't think it is an IQ issue, Baynes moves differently to Splitter and has a different range of skills e.g. an outside shot. Baynes is harder, more physical and a straight line mover, nothing fancy and as long as he does it well he can add a lot in the right situation. That said Baynes is moving up and down the floor so much better and looks like he has lost a few pounds.

Old School 44
04-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Baynes is doing great! There's a plus side to having an occasional non-season ending injury, and that's the development of players like Baynes and Joseph. Same thing with rest. The media tends to focus on the player resting, not on the player development that can come out of it.

DarrinS
04-08-2015, 07:54 AM
That pass from Bobo, followed by Banes dunk. Had to rewind and watch that several times. Dude has been playing some good ball lately.

barakz21
04-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I don't think his bbiq isn't really an issue. Sure maybe it's not as good as Tiago's, but he's definitely not a low BBIQ player. The issue with him as pointed out by above poster is that he's more of a straight line kind of guy, more power than finesse and I think his awareness of spacing is definitely not on Tiago's level. The good thing is different players bring different things to the table.

Fireball
04-08-2015, 09:47 AM
I don't think it is an IQ issue, Baynes moves differently to Splitter and has a different range of skills e.g. an outside shot. Baynes is harder, more physical and a straight line mover, nothing fancy and as long as he does it well he can add a lot in the right situation. That said Baynes is moving up and down the floor so much better and looks like he has lost a few pounds.

No wonder that more regular minutes improved his fitness. I love his offensive skills, but his defense is another story. Lets see what he accomplishes tonight ...

DDUBB1770
04-08-2015, 11:27 AM
He seemed to have learned a lot from Thiago with his offensive pick and roll game using the rim to protect his shot and coming up on the reverse side so well lately!

weebo
04-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Baynes is on the right track. He'll get better the more he plays. People tend to forget how Tiago wouldn't get much burn here his first few years. So much so that Pop was quoted as saying that playing Tiago "wouldn't be fair to the team."

KL2
04-08-2015, 01:15 PM
One of the best screen setters in the league. There should be some sort of stat where it times how many secs. it takes to fight through a screen. He's really helped out Parker's offensive game big time, those screens give Parker a few extra tenths of a sec. to create enough separation and lose his defender.

Marcus Bryant
04-08-2015, 10:44 PM
I was wrong. Baynes is a legit NBA 5. Splitter's more talented, but Baynes is not afraid of contact and knows his role.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Baynes went Batman villain on the Rockets tonight.

Baynes
04-09-2015, 12:03 AM
yes I'm earning my money :hat

FlAVaK
04-09-2015, 01:32 AM

GSH
04-09-2015, 02:24 AM
One of the best screen setters in the league. There should be some sort of stat where it times how many secs. it takes to fight through a screen. He's really helped out Parker's offensive game big time, those screens give Parker a few extra tenths of a sec. to create enough separation and lose his defender.

Baynes sets very good, solid screens. There is an art to getting into the right position to get a solid body on a defender, so that you don't have to be moving when he gets there. Baynes does it well.

The other thing I've never heard anyone talk about is that his timing is good on the PnR. He doesn't leave the pick too early or too late often. And when he makes his break to the basket, he spaces well so that there is always a passing lane to him. A lot of guys rush to the basket, and there's no way to get the ball to them without risking a turnover. He's also got a pretty clean stroke for a big man, and he's gotten pretty damned good about finishing around the rim.

In the Rockets game thread, someone said that Baynes is every bit as good as Tiago. I'm a Baynes supporter since he got here, but that's not true. Tiago has been very aggressive lately, and the team went 16-3 after he returned to the lineup. (Including those two games that the Spurs just threw away.) But for the role Baynes has, he's more than earning his keep. I just got through watching him bang around with Dwight Howard, and I was more impressed the second time around. Howard tried to get physical, and I think he was surprised that Baynsie didn't flinch. I especially loved it when Baynes yanked two offensive boards away from Howard in the same play. I think he might have gotten into Howard's kitchen a little bit.

Fireball
04-09-2015, 02:43 AM
Good game by the banger ... could not stop Howard, but its not as if Howard dominated

Nero5
04-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Howard IS an athletic freak - any man who can get up to the 12 foot mark is going to be hard to beat. But as noted Baynes is hard to move and have a very good attitude to contact - howard has to work hard for his points and boards and that makes him less effective over the course of a playoff series and individual game.

manufan10
04-11-2015, 12:03 AM

Malik Hairston
04-11-2015, 12:05 AM
He took a shit all over the entire Rockets frontcourt, tbh:lol

Baynes >> Josh Smith
Baynes >> Tommy Jones
Baynes >>> That injured scrub Monty

marinoman
04-11-2015, 12:06 AM
what all 1.8 mill?
edit- that's ayres
baynes is 2.1

jeebus
04-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Spurs should be giving him all of Errors' money next season and maybe a bit more. That'll pretty much give him $4-5 million a year. Dude's earned it.

spursparker9
04-11-2015, 12:52 AM

What is P90X workout?

Cklbmk
04-11-2015, 12:53 AM
I'm starting to think that Gasol isn't even a target. WE'd have to renouce so many players to make an offer that its kind of unrealistic

heyheymymy
04-11-2015, 01:08 AM
Spurs knew what they were doing buying out Baynes and bringing him over. Once he got in shape with the NBA pace he's been a monster.

jARS mEsH sEt
04-11-2015, 01:27 AM
What is P90X workout?

It's high intensity interval training with light weight lifting that's meant to get people to lose weight. It's extremely effective and extremely difficult to get through without frequent rests because all of the exercises are done till failure so you're guaranteed to become exhausted (otherwise you're not doing it properly).

spursparker9
04-11-2015, 01:30 AM
It's high intensity interval training with light weight lifting that's meant to get people to lose weight. It's extremely effective and extremely difficult to get through without frequent rests because all of the exercises are done till failure so you're guaranteed to become exhausted (otherwise you're not doing it properly).

I see. Thanks

Nathan89
04-11-2015, 01:46 AM
Baynes getting ready for the game with a a P90X workout. What a beast.

ElNono
04-11-2015, 01:47 AM
tbh, if Baynes starts getting any kind of respect from the refs, he can be a beast.... if the Spurs can hold on to him for another two seasons, it would be great. Notice how he's rarely ever hurt too, and he takes a lot of punishment.

Stabula
04-11-2015, 02:42 AM
tbh, if Baynes starts getting any kind of respect from the refs, he can be a beast.... if the Spurs can hold on to him for another two seasons, it would be great. Notice how he's rarely ever hurt too, and he takes a lot of punishment.

He frequently has injuries related to his ribs

ElNono
04-11-2015, 02:44 AM
He frequently has injuries related to his ribs

oops forgot about those.

Johnny RIngo
04-11-2015, 02:54 AM
He's improved a lot in the two years he's been here. Very solid 4th big now. Boylen's definitely earning his paycheck with the way he's developed Baynes.

weeks
04-11-2015, 02:56 AM
He's improved a lot in the two years he's been here. Very solid 4th big now. Boylen's definitely earning his paycheck with the way he's developed Baynes.

Fuck that, didn't he bring us Ayres

weeks
04-11-2015, 03:03 AM
Fuck posting on this pos

Johnny RIngo
04-11-2015, 03:10 AM
Fuck that, didn't he bring us Ayres

Yeah, Ayres is a lost cause(though he played ok tonight). Aron seems to have a much better feel for the game. He's now an ok defender and a reliable pnr threat.

cd021
04-11-2015, 04:14 AM
Love his finishing around the basket and that little post hook. Competitive on the glass ( fights for loose boards makes it harder for opposing bigs to secure the rebound and getting it down the floor) rebounds well and has found a nice balance on when to use his jumper

Yuixafun
04-11-2015, 06:03 AM
That fitst play by Diaw in your sig is nifty but man.... That second play is so precise polished and elite. They are so decisive with the ball the defense is scrambling just enough to make everything open up.

This is the reason why we're better than all the other teams.

Spurs collective is playing more than just Pro Ball, they are something beyond that.

Other teams just can't match that evolution...

Spurs are an all time team

jeebus
04-11-2015, 09:09 AM
oops forgot about those.
Still, he's out maybe a couple weeks out of the season with those, max. Anyways, just the fact that Bible was getting all pissed off cuz Baynes kept his hand on him all night was worth the $2 million he's getting and to make me laugh throughout most of the 3rd/4th.

wildbill2u
04-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Baynes is showing he can score in double digits when given the minutes. I was surprised to hear last night that he is now leading the league in consecutive made foul shots and that is impressive for a big man in this league.

My only quibble is that sometimes he doesn't jump for a rebound and sort of chicken fights with his hands to grab one against the other player(s). He has great hands when receiving a pass in the paint and I don't know why he loses so many rebounds that he gets his hands on. But that's a minor gripe compared to his solid play in general.