PDA

View Full Version : Bomar to start for Sooners.

samikeyp
09-06-2005, 11:26 AM
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2152711)

NORMAN, Okla. -- After an upset in its opener, Oklahoma is making a switch at quarterback.

Coach Bob Stoops said Monday that redshirt freshman Rhett Bomar will take over for Paul Thompson as the Sooners' starting quarterback for Saturday's game against Tulsa and get the next chance at being the one to replace 2003 Heisman Trophy winner Jason White.

"We're going to give Rhett Bomar an opportunity to start and see where he takes us," Stoops said.

Bomar played in four series in the seventh-ranked Sooners' 17-10 loss to TCU on Saturday and completed 2 of 5 passes for 19 yards. On his first play after substituting for Thompson late in the second quarter, Bomar faked a handoff to tailback Adrian Peterson and rushed 28 yards down the right sideline, bullying a Horned Frogs defender along the way.

But he also was responsible for a turnover that led to TCU's winning score.

Stoops said coaches believe Bomar didn't have a chance to do much.

"He only threw five balls. He didn't have nearly the number of snaps and preparation coming into the game & He's had the fewest number of snaps overall when you look at his amount of time here and he's been that close all along that we feel maybe giving him more opportunities, more snaps, maybe he'll do more with it. We'll see," Stoops said.

The 20-year-old from the Dallas suburbs lost a close competition to Thompson to become the Sooners' starter, but coaches announced beforehand that Bomar would play both early and late in the team's opener.

"I have a great opportunity to go out there and do some things to establish myself," Bomar said. "I'm really excited. This is what I've been working for. It's what I've been trying to do all my life and now it's here."

Bomar said he is confident that his performance in his next chance to lead the team's offense will be different than the first.

"I want to play, I want to keep playing. That was my No. 1 goal coming in here. I'm going to go out Saturday and prove I can be the guy."

Regarded as the team's quarterback of the future, Bomar came to Oklahoma last season from Grand Prairie High School. He had thrown for 6,097 yards and 58 touchdowns in his career there and was regarded by many as the nation's No. 2 recruit behind Peterson.

He was beaten out by Thompson because he was regarded as a more consistent quarterback who made fewer mistakes. In three fall scrimmages open to the public, Thompson had a better completion percentage, more passing yards and had no interceptions, while Bomar threw five.

Thompson, a 21-year-old junior, was also the more experienced of the two quarterbacks. He had played in 14 career games in relief of White in 2003 and Nate Hybl in 2002. He then redshirted last season.

In his first career start, Thompson struggled to sustain a drive and Oklahoma trailed 10-0 when Bomar entered with 4:10 remaining in the second quarter.

"By no means am I sitting here saying Paul Thompson is responsible for the way we played as a team Saturday," said Stoops. "We had a lot of guys -- mostly older guys -- who really played as poor as I've seen them play."

After Bomar's long run, Peterson lost 5 yards after taking a handoff from Bomar out of the shotgun and Bomar threw incomplete on second and third downs to end the drive. His two completions came on a drive that started with 14 seconds left in the first half on the 50-yard line after a TCU fumble.

He hit Quentin Chaney for a 16-yard gain and then connected with Travis Wilson for 3 more yards to put the Sooners in position for a 50-yard field goal that Garrett Hartley missed.

His third appearance came with the score tied at 10 after Thompson led two scoring drives to start the second half. Tailback Kejuan Jones, in for an injured Peterson, picked up 2 yards on consecutive run plays and Bomar threw an incompletion to end the drive.

He returned on the next drive and fumbled while being sacked. TCU recovered the ball and scored the winning touchdown four plays later.

"We feel that Rhett deserves an opportunity to have the opportunities that Paul had and see what he can do with," Stoops said. "That's the direction we're going to go and work from there."

msufan420
09-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't think it matters much...neither QB showed me anything to be desired on Saturday. I do know that Bomar was a big time recruit, so it may be that he just needs a little time to come along....but can the Sooners afford that time? I think not (especially their devoted fans). Untill the passing game is fixed, all defenses need to due is key on Peterson (who will probably be hampered all year by that ankle sprain)...thus, IMO, eliminating him from competition for the Heisman. Sorry OU fans, this doesn't seem like your year.

Ballcox
09-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Interesting thing about Bhomar, he never took his HS teams to the playoffs, not once. Some guys know how to lead and win, and some don't-just something to consider ou fans.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, go TCU!!!

2centsworth
09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Interesting thing about Bhomar, he never took his HS teams to the playoffs, not once. Some guys know how to lead and win, and some don't-just something to consider ou fans.

What's the proper Pronunciation of his name. Is is Bow-Mar or Bah-Mer?

Ballcox
09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Bow-mar I believe. It really stung when both he and Peterson decided to commit to ou, but having watched Simms and Cory Redding go through UT (They were #1 rated offense/defense prospect in the country out of HS) and not claim any hardware, lets just say HS performance doesn't always translate to college success.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 04:29 PM
What's the proper Pronunciation of his name. Is is Bow-Mar or Bah-Mer?

It's pronounced Tray-tor.

Hopefully OK will be soon known as the place where highly touted recruits go to disappear.

Ballcox
09-06-2005, 04:37 PM
^Hey Bonfire, I've got no problem with that. Hell, I would of rather seen one of them land at a&m than go to ou :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
09-06-2005, 04:42 PM
no doubt, i agree with the past two posts

Fucking sooners ahahahaha they're so screwed

i hope every big twelve team destroys those traitorious bitches

Cant_Be_Faded
09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Texas is going to beat OU 42 to 6 this year

cecil collins
09-06-2005, 05:12 PM
I think OU will rebound, I don't want them to, but I think they will. As soon as they get someone to put the ball in the right spots, he's gonna throw for a ton of yards. TCU got pretty lucky on some deep balls. In a related topic, why do QB's look lost this year? If you watched the Miami/Florida St. game you know what I mean.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
i actually did watch most of that game

can u imagine if you were at a bar and said to your buddies 'we'll take a shot after every sack/interception"

you'd need to get your stomach pumped

KewlKat00
09-06-2005, 08:18 PM
i actually did watch most of that game

can u imagine if you were at a bar and said to your buddies 'we'll take a shot after every sack/interception"

you'd need to get your stomach pumped

the georgia tech/auburn game wasn't too far behind. definitely could've gotten drunk off of that. hell, you could've gotten tipsy just off of zebransky's performance versus georgia (4 int, 2 fumbles).

Horry For 3!
09-06-2005, 10:47 PM
No matter who starts for them, they'll suck.