PDA

View Full Version : Shaq on TNT Pre-Game -- What Was He Referring To?

jsandiego
04-08-2015, 09:31 AM
I was watching the game on the DVR, and was listening to the TNT pre-game show with Shaq, Matt Weiner, Isiah Thomas, and T-Mac. They were talking about the Spurs culture, and Shaq referenced that it's been instilled since the days of Elliott/Robinson.

Then right before the break, Weiner asks Shaq something to the effect of "Is there anything else you might not have said that you'd like to talk about now on the air?"

And Shaq said that he's not saying anything, and started joking that the next headline would be "Shaq suspended from TNT for 5 years for comments made on air... etc." Then as they were going to break, Shaq pretended to make a bunch of derogatory comments, but did so while crumpling paper next to his mic so that even if he really was talking crap, no one could hear him. :lol

Maybe I missed the frame of reference from earlier in the show, but what was Shaq not wanting to talk about? Was it related to joke they played on Shaq about the all-time great centers list that included DRob and Jack Sikma over him? Or was it just something completely different?

G-Nob
04-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Shaq has always had a hard-on for D-Rob. He claims Robinson shunned him as a kid when he asked for an autograph. Total BS story.

Humberto
04-08-2015, 09:50 AM
I was watching the game on the DVR, and was listening to the TNT pre-game show with Shaq, Matt Weiner, Isiah Thomas, and T-Mac. They were talking about the Spurs culture, and Shaq referenced that it's been instilled since the days of Elliott/Robinson.

Then right before the break, Weiner asks Shaq something to the effect of "Is there anything else you might not have said that you'd like to talk about now on the air?"

And Shaq said that he's not saying anything, and started joking that the next headline would be "Shaq suspended from TNT for 5 years for comments made on air... etc." Then as they were going to break, Shaq pretended to make a bunch of derogatory comments, but did so while crumpling paper next to his mic so that even if he really was talking crap, no one could hear him. :lol

Maybe I missed the frame of reference from earlier in the show, but what was Shaq not wanting to talk about? Was it related to joke they played on Shaq about the all-time great centers list that included DRob and Jack Sikma over him? Or was it just something completely different?

Shaq was giving Matt shit for reading the Pop quote about Kawhi and having to say the words "stupid-ass". Didn't seem like that big of a deal but Matt hesitated at first. Looked like the Shaq thing was more wanting to say words that are not allowed on the network rather than hating on the Spurs.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/m4_k2/293-gregg-popovich-thumbs-up.png

SilverSpur
04-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Shaq is a bitch. If dunking were NOT allowed he would have been useless. No jump shot, no sky hook, can't hit free throws, couldn't dribble drive past a defender and pull up for a jumper like Robinson or Hakeem.
He is the number one over rated center of all time.
Now as an announcer he sucks. Can't understand what he says half the time. Sounds like he has a mouth full of Jujubes.

Pauleta14
04-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Shaq has always had a hard-on for D-Rob. He claims Robinson shunned him as a kid when he asked for an autograph. Total BS story.

He already acknowledged that tbh...

He said he needed a motivation so he came up with this BS but said that David never disrespected him nor refused to sign him an autograph.

I didn't like the player, but the guy seems a cool dude tbh..

will_spurs
04-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Shaq is a bitch. If dunking were NOT allowed he would have been useless. No jump shot, no sky hook, can't hit free throws, couldn't dribble drive past a defender and pull up for a jumper like Robinson or Hakeem.

He didn't need all these fancy moves. If other centers had been better at keeping him out of the paint he might have developed those skills... but he was so dominant he could afford to be lazy. Be glad Shaq never had a work ethic or the Spurs would be a couple of rings short.

still.focused
04-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Now as an announcer he sucks. Can't understand what he says half the time. Sounds like he has a mouth full of Jujubes.

Youre an idiot

Seventyniner
04-08-2015, 10:26 AM
What ever happened to Ernie Johnson? Winer needs to go back to NBA TV.

MeloHype
04-08-2015, 10:29 AM
What ever happened to Ernie Johnson? Winer needs to go back to NBA TV.

Hes been working with the march madness, he, kenny, & chuck will be back on Thursday

Dre_7
04-08-2015, 10:34 AM
He didn't need all these fancy moves. If other centers had been better at keeping him out of the paint he might have developed those skills... but he was so dominant he could afford to be lazy. Be glad Shaq never had a work ethic or the Spurs would be a couple of rings short.

:tu

bigfan
04-08-2015, 10:34 AM
I saw it and don't think his joke had anything to do with the Spurs.

DDUBB1770
04-08-2015, 11:21 AM

I wouldn't have pissed on his face if it was on fire when he was a Laker... But this this is just fucking retarded! You would still be jerking off on his poster if he had been a spur you ass!

jsandiego
04-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Shaq was giving Matt shit for reading the Pop quote about Kawhi and having to say the words "stupid-ass". Didn't seem like that big of a deal but Matt hesitated at first. Looked like the Shaq thing was more wanting to say words that are not allowed on the network rather than hating on the Spurs.

Thanks, this makes sense! I didn't see the earlier stuff so I had no frame of reference. I figured it was some inside joke from a previous segment or something, but wasn't sure and I knew someone on here would have the answer. :bobo

jsandiego
04-08-2015, 11:32 AM
I hated the Shaq/Kobe Lakers as much as anybody, but it's pretty evident how agile Shaq was for a big man, especially earlier in his career and in his prime. Why take a 10 foot sky-hook when you can get post positioning inside the half-circle and dunk the ball? He was usually a man among boys. Spurs & Pistons had some successes against them because we didn't need to double-team him as often b/c of Malik, DRob, and Wallace bros.

cjw
04-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Shaq at his peak was unstoppable. Dunking was allowed and there is no weight/size limit in the league. Averaged a 25 PER in the mid-2000s (probably higher in the 90s) and never fell below 17. Yes, injuries were a concern and had limitations to his game, but he's got four more rings than a lot of other guys.

Some other players would be a lot less useful if three pointers were out. And look at how removing handchecking exposed some players' awful D / helped others on offense.

spurs10
04-08-2015, 11:42 AM

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/m4_k2/293-gregg-popovich-thumbs-up.png Yeah I was wondering the same, but this makes sense. I loved the quote from Pop. Exactly the way I feel about all the guys taunting and posturing. Liked T-Mac's quote after that about the baseball guy that hits a bunch of home-runs and just runs the bases, "act like you've been there before!"

will_spurs
04-08-2015, 11:49 AM
He was usually a man among boys.

That's a great way to put it and exactly the meaning I was trying to convey!

SpurSwag
04-08-2015, 11:55 AM

I watched the whole thing, it was definitely about saying things on tv he shouldn't and nothing about the spurs

Humberto
04-08-2015, 11:58 AM
I watched the whole thing, it was definitely about saying things on tv he shouldn't and nothing about the spurs

If anything Shaq did nothing but say good things about the Spurs and their culture for about 2 minutes; included a Sean Elliott shout out too.

hitmanyr2k
04-08-2015, 12:26 PM

If you're 300+ pounds and have the agility and footwork to explode on your defender like this what the fuck are you shooting a jumper for? :lol

lI85iVU3xkE

LoneStarState'sPride
04-08-2015, 12:56 PM
If you're 300+ pounds and have the agility and footwork to explode on your defender like this what the fuck are you shooting a jumper for? :lol

lI85iVU3xkE

Precisely.