PDA

View Full Version : Kids and musical instruments

cantthinkofanything
04-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Do parents still place much importance on getting their kids involved in music and at least trying to play an instrument? We've always had instruments around the home for our daughter to pick up and play. As she got older, she gravitated to a couple of them and now plays pretty frequently.

But with all of the other distractions nowadays (most tech / social media related), have parents given up making their kid try to play or take a lesson or two?

Seems like the net effect is going to be a loss of musicians or at least probably missing out on some who never knew they had something.

spurraider21
04-08-2015, 11:14 AM
My parents tried. I played classical piano when I was younger. Then moved into drumming... But my old set got busted up over time and I haven't really had time to pursue it and get a new set

Avante
04-08-2015, 12:53 PM
What's sad is when a kid has the talent but doesn't know it. I didn't pick up an harmonica until I was in my 30's, it took me a few hours to get it down, yep, a natural.

A 90 year old man gets put in a rest home by the family. They have a piano there. One day the old timer sits down (knew nothing about any muscial instrument) in six months he's playing all that Charles Brown, Ray Charles stuff.

Ignignokt
04-09-2015, 06:24 PM
What's sad is when a kid has the talent but doesn't know it. I didn't pick up an harmonica until I was in my 30's, it took me a few hours to get it down, yep, a natural.

A 90 year old man gets put in a rest home by the family. They have a piano there. One day the old timer sits down (knew nothing about any muscial instrument) in six months he's playing all that Charles Brown, Ray Charles stuff.

You're delusional. Never seen you IRL, but it's probably like a downs syndromed'd child playing atonal John Denver harmonica excerpts while wearing a bike helmet.

Avante
04-09-2015, 06:28 PM
You're delusional. Never seen you IRL, but it's probably like a downs syndromed'd child playing atonal John Denver harmonica excerpts while wearing a bike helmet.

Actually little man I started out trying to mimic Hammie Nixon, Noah Lewis and the original Sonny Boy Williamson.

This is the first tune I learned, as ya can see pretty simple.

Noah Lewis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXgQSMThBy8

TeyshaBlue
04-09-2015, 06:38 PM

Worthy. +10

Avante
04-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Worthy. +10

When you're on the same level with a dummy, hey!

So many little punks here, wow!

TeyshaBlue
04-09-2015, 06:53 PM
His riposte was about 50 levels above any I've seen you post.
Clever, tbh.

Avante
04-09-2015, 07:08 PM
His riposte was about 50 levels above any I've seen you post.
Clever, tbh.

That's what I was talking about, pigs in the same mud.