PDA

View Full Version : Do Spurs get #2 seed by default if they win out?

Tony Porker
04-08-2015, 04:47 PM
They are 2 games behind the #2 Rockets and could potentially give them 2 back to back losses this week. Would this bump them up to #2 or would they need the Rockets to lose/tie one more?

dabom
04-08-2015, 04:48 PM
:lmao

apalisoc_9
04-08-2015, 04:57 PM
They need the grizzlies to lose at least one game to get 2nd seed.

So if the win out, and Memphis loses to the clippers at in LA..They will get 2nd seed.

A three way tie between Houston, Memphis, SAS means SAS gets 2nd seed.

A four way tie between Houston, Memphis, SAS and LA and Spurs still gets the 2nd.

Arcadian
04-08-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm assuming that they won't win out, simply because they have already won 8 straight and are "due for a loss" sometime soon. And Pop also has the tendency of "not showing all his cards" in the final week of the regular season, i.e. he doesn't try as hard.

MultiTroll
04-08-2015, 05:09 PM
I'm assuming that they won't win out, simply because they have already won 8 straight and are "due for a loss" sometime soon. And Pop also has the tendency of "not showing all his cards" in the final week of the regular season, i.e. he doesn't try as hard.
I kind of agree but not due to CIA Pop.
I think the 2nd nite in Houston might be a natural loss. And might be a good time to rest Duncan.

But the way they are playing, maybe just let it roll.
How the schedule maker gave the Clippers Wed, Thurs, Fri off and not playing until Sat is a head scratcher.
But they do have to play B2B the last two days of the season. Of course their opponents will be tanking so....

apalisoc_9
04-08-2015, 05:10 PM

Possibly..Still, win these two games against Houston and you an still win against PHX without exerting way too much effort. Also if NOP has one less loss than the thunder before the final game, they will most likely rest their starters as well..

They might not need to put in that much effort to win out...Just need these two games against houston.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-08-2015, 05:12 PM

We will fight for that 2 seed, if we lose it wont be due to lack of trying. Manu already said we WANT homecourt. And there is no such thing as due for a loss, I can think of several Spurs teams entering the postseason on long winning streaks. Its put up or shut up time, we can still fix the mess of a regular season by simply winning 4 consecutive games that we will be favored in.

Horry Hipcheck
04-08-2015, 05:21 PM
They are 2 games behind the #2 Rockets and could potentially give them 2 back to back losses this week. Would this bump them up to #2 or would they need the Rockets to lose/tie one more?

Winning out puts them at 56-26, alongside Houston (assuming the Rox don't lose any other games). Memphis can still finished 57-25, and therefore win the division. Spurs need another Memphis loss + winning out. Or some other combination of wins/losses by other teams that still nets the Spurs a division win.

Winning out just puts them in the most control possible. Memphis has a rough couple of games coming up, they're likely to falter.

exstatic
04-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Winning out puts them at 56-26, alongside Houston (assuming the Rox don't lose any other games). Memphis can still finished 57-25, and therefore win the division. Spurs need another Memphis loss + winning out. Or some other combination of wins/losses by other teams that still nets the Spurs a division win.

Winning out just puts them in the most control possible. Memphis has a rough couple of games coming up, they're likely to falter.

Memphis' schedule is brutal. They haven't been playing all that well in the last month, and they finish with:

NOP tonight
@UTH Friday
@LAC Saturday
@GSW Monday
IND Wednesday

Uriel
04-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Wait. Just to clarify, we own the tiebreaker against the Clippers? So even if we finish with the same record as them, we'll end up ahead?

Cloud786
04-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Wait. Just to clarify, we own the tiebreaker against the Clippers? So even if we finish with the same record as them, we'll end up ahead?

Only if we win our division.

Old School 44
04-08-2015, 09:56 PM
And might be a good time to rest Duncan...
As long as the Spurs have something to play for, I doubt anyone rests. Even though it goes against everything Pop might say publicly, I get this feeling he wants the big three to catch the Celtics for the winningest trio.

z0sa
04-08-2015, 09:57 PM
The #3 seed is looking most likely, if we win out, of course. With luck and winning out (IE Memphis losing 2) we will secure the #2.

Hoping, crossing my fingers Spurs continue to take care of business, because we REALLY need the HCA. Don't care what anyone says, HCA has been proven time and time again to be the single most important factor between evenly matched teams.

BatManu20
04-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Going to be tough to win out, tbh. Plus Pop has made it no secret he hates going into the playoffs on a winning streak.

TampaDude
04-08-2015, 10:02 PM
If we had just beaten the fucking Knicks... :bang

MultiTroll
04-08-2015, 10:18 PM
The #3 seed is looking most likely, if we win out, of course. With luck and winning out (IE Memphis losing 2) we will secure the #2.
So as far as Memphis @ Clippers, we will know who to pull for on that night.
And not until that night, right?

z0sa
04-08-2015, 10:21 PM
So as far as Memphis @ Clippers, we will know who to pull for on that night.
And not until that night, right?

Nah, I'm pretty sure we pull for Clippers that night. I thought we have tie breaker with Clippers by winning our division?

MultiTroll
04-08-2015, 10:21 PM
On the other hand, maybe there was a team meeting that night, words were exchanged and that is what set us on the current Championship style run.

Ex: Maybe Kwa and Green said "we're tired of your ballhogging Tony, we think, we know we are better when you play all around team ball." Duncan chimed in and said "damn straight Tony."
I'm just sayin.

cjw
04-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Hoping, crossing my fingers Spurs continue to take care of business, because we REALLY need the HCA. Don't care what anyone says, HCA has been proven time and time again to be the single most important factor between evenly matched teams.

Couldn't Spurs win out and still be stuck as the 5 seed?
- Clippers win out
- Memphis loses only to Clippers
- Houston loses to Spurs and another game

Three way tie and Memphis wins the division over Spurs on better conference record. Clippers outrank Spurs on conference record too.

If it's a four-way tie, Spurs grab the 2 seed.

BatManu20
04-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Tbh.. We also lost to the Pelicans by 1, Lakers at home by 2, Brooklyn by 2, Cavs by 3, Detroit by 1 on that Brandon Jennings buzzer-beater, and the 2 Triple-OT games of course. Smh.

z0sa
04-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Couldn't Spurs win out and still be stuck as the 5 seed?
- Clippers win out
- Memphis loses only to Clippers
- Houston loses to Spurs and another game

Three way tie and Memphis wins the division over Spurs on better conference record. Clippers outrank Spurs on conference record too.

If it's a four-way tie, Spurs grab the 2 seed.

Jesus, what a clusterfuck. I think you're right, but surely this has a very low chance of happening. Someone's going to blink, let's just hope it's not the Spurs.

EDIT: like I said, if Memphis loses 2, I'm almost positive we're the #2. It's really up to us (us us us us) and them (them them them them..)

Beaverfuzz
04-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Just move up from #6, that's all I ask. Get one home court advantage at the very least and go forward, move ahead, it's not too late...

cjw
04-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Jesus, what a clusterfuck. I think you're right, but surely this has a very low chance of happening. Someone's going to blink, let's just hope it's not the Spurs.

EDIT: like I said, if Memphis loses 2, I'm almost positive we're the #2. It's really up to us (us us us us) and them (them them them them..)

Yeah, we either need (1) if Memphis is only going to lose once (to Clippers), Houston has to lose once more besides game against Spurs or (2) Memphis has to lose twice to be guaranteed the two seed as division champs. If not division champs, Clippers will almost certainly outrank the Spurs, pushing them to fifth.

So third seed is pretty unlikely I think. Unless Spurs somehow win division and lose a game along the way, with Clippers winning out.

MultiTroll
04-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Just move up from #6, that's all I ask. Get one home court advantage at the very least and go forward, move ahead, it's not too late...
From where we were after the B2B muck up, yes we want 2 3 but will gladly take #5 with HCA vs Portland.
If that is what shakes down.
Shitty/tanking opponents or not, we gotta tip our cap to the Clitters and Memphis if we win out yet they stay ahead of us.

z0sa
04-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Yeah, we either need (1) if Memphis is only going to lose once (to Clippers), Houston has to lose once more besides game against Spurs or (2) Memphis has to lose twice to be guaranteed the two seed as division champs. If not division champs, Clippers will almost certainly outrank the Spurs, pushing them to fifth.

So third seed is pretty unlikely I think. Unless Spurs somehow win division and lose a game along the way, with Clippers winning out.

Hmm, I made a mistake. Thanks for correcting me. In reality, it looks like the 5 seed is actually most likely.

cjw
04-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Hmm, I made a mistake. Thanks for correcting me. In reality, it looks like the 5 seed is actually most likely.

Took me a few beers to figure it out myself. And I'm probably still wrong.

On edit, we would get the three seed if Memphis beats Clippers (pushing them a game behind Spurs) and wins the division, either outright or via tiebreaker. I think that would also entail Houston not winning tiebreaker with Spurs, which isn't in cards if Spurs win Friday.

z0sa
04-08-2015, 10:38 PM

Honestly, I'm more than a few beers in. :tu :lol

TampaDude
04-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Tbh.. We also lost to the Pelicans by 1, Lakers at home by 2, Brooklyn by 2, Cavs by 3, Detroit by 1 on that Brandon Jennings buzzer-beater, and the 2 Triple-OT games of course. Smh.

Yup...we could have the #2 spot locked up right now and could rest players the last three games. Oh, well...it is what it is. No ThundeRefs or LakeRefs to worry about this time, it seems. We'll be fine.

z0sa
04-08-2015, 10:45 PM

On edit, we would get the three seed if Memphis beats Clippers (pushing them a game behind Spurs) and wins the division, either outright or via tiebreaker. I think that would also entail Houston not winning tiebreaker with Spurs, which isn't in cards if Spurs win Friday.

stop confusing me :lol

edit: fuck this math shit right now lol

BatManu20
04-08-2015, 10:48 PM
I don't see Memphis losing more than one game the rest of the season. They know what's at stake, and the Warriors will likely rest guys against the Grizz since they have the West locked up. Clippers are their only real test, and that one could go either way, especially since that game is on the second leg of a b2b for the Grizz (they play Utah tomorrow).

RD2191
04-08-2015, 10:52 PM
I don't see Memphis losing more than one game the rest of the season. They know what's at stake, and the Warriors will likely rest guys against the Grizz since they have the West locked up. Clippers are their only real test, and that one could go either way, especially since that game is on the second leg of a b2b for the Grizz (they play Utah tomorrow).
Grizz have 3 games on the road, they could easily lose all 3. The only win they might get is if the dubs decide to tank since they have nothing to play for with the top seed wrapped up

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Or Pistons, or Cavs, or Grizz, or Jazz, etc etc.

703 Spurz
04-08-2015, 11:03 PM
If the Spurs win out they finish 56-26. That means they win in HOU on Friday giving them a minimum of 26 losses.

SA, by winning Friday, would have taken 3 of 4 from Houston this year thus overtaking them in the standings.

So if SA wins out, the worst they finish is 3rd. Depending on what Memphis does will make a big difference too.

Though Portland winning their shit division kinda fucks up a lot of these thoughts so I don't know. HOU is #3 currently bc of tiebreakers with Memphis.

Agloco
04-08-2015, 11:04 PM

Need help from Memphis. assuming they lose two more, then yes.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Need help from Memphis. assuming they lose two more, then yes.

They just need Memphis to lose one which they probably will to the clips as they would want to jump the Rockets, assuming Spurs beat them on Friday, so they play the TB in the 1st round.

Agloco
04-08-2015, 11:16 PM
They just need Memphis to lose one which they probably will to the clips as they would want to jump the Rockets, assuming Spurs beat them on Friday, so they play the TB in the 1st round.

Memphis has a better conference record than us though. They need to lose two more.

Cloud786
04-08-2015, 11:25 PM
I may be wrong, but if the Spurs win out, the worst they would finish would be 3rd seed. This is assuming Memphis wins out (including beating the Clippers). Memphis would end up 57-25, Spurs 56-26 (with tiebreaker over Houston), and Clippers at 55-27.

There is a high chance of there being a 4 way tie. Looking at it realistically, the Spurs could win out, Clippers could win out, Memphis loses one game (@ Clippers), and Houston loses one more (to us). That would put 4 all of their records at 56-26. I believe, in this case, the first thing that has to happen is that a tie has to be broken between Memphis, Houston, and San Antonio to determine the southwest division winner. The tiebreaker rule invoked here would be best record in the games played between them three. Spurs would have the edge here as they would be 3-1 on Houston and 2-2 with Memphis (Houston is 2-2 against Memphis). That would give the Spurs the SW division and the 2nd seed I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

NickiRasgo
04-08-2015, 11:57 PM
If only if we've won atleast 2 games with those games below:

Sat, Nov 8
vs
New Orleans
L100-9

at, Nov 15
@
Sacramento
L94-91

Wed, Dec 3
@
Brooklyn
L95-93 OT

Fri, Dec 12
vs
Los Angeles
L112-110 OT

Wed, Dec 17
vs
Memphis
L117-116 OT

Fri, Dec 19
vs
Portland
L129-119 OT

Tue, Jan 6
vs
Detroit
L105-104

Thu, Mar 12
vs
Cleveland
L128-125 OT

Tue, Mar 17
@
NY Knicks
L104-100 OT

Arc
04-09-2015, 12:00 AM
from what i understand, if there's a 4 way tie between spurs-rockets-grizz-clips at 56-26, then the spurs would be the #2 seed. all the other teams would be tied 2-2 (if grizz lose to clips), but the spurs winning out means beating rockets and making the season series 3-1, giving spurs the best winning percentage against those teams and #2 seed. then the clippers would get the #3 seed since they have the best conference record.

the playoffs would look something like this:

wars
spurs
clips
blazers
grizz (homecourt against blazers)
rockets
mavs
okc/pelicans

saspurstx21
04-09-2015, 12:19 AM
I don't think I can handle another series with Dallas.....:downspin:

pookenstein
04-09-2015, 03:01 AM

I don't know, I could see Pop having an eye on the Cavs record for a potential HCA in the Finals.

spurraider21
04-09-2015, 03:09 AM
there was also the clipper game that went down to the wire last month... CP3 was money down the stretch and kawhi just had an off night

Fireball
04-09-2015, 03:20 AM
I don't think I can handle another series with Dallas.....:downspin:

Dito ... the Spurs just seem out of sync playing them and make look Coach Carlisle like a defensive genius (yes, he is very good, but cmon ...)

Amuseddaysleeper
04-09-2015, 10:19 AM
As long as we avoid Houston in Round 1 I'm happy

Jdspur20
04-09-2015, 10:28 AM
So, if Spurs lose to Houston tomorrow, then win the remaining games, would they be looking at either the 3 or 5 seed depending on what happens to Memphis, LAC and Houston?

Spurs 4 The Win
04-09-2015, 10:45 AM
So, if Spurs lose to Houston tomorrow, then win the remaining games, would they be looking at either the 3 or 5 seed depending on what happens to Memphis, LAC and Houston?

If we lose any game, we are locked into the 6 barring a collapse from one of the teams