PDA

View Full Version : Finley's contract

tempest186
09-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I have read in several articles conflicting reports about the length of Finley's contract. Is there any confirmation released about this yet?

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Most places say "multi-year" and not more specific. Interestingly enough, Patricia's basketball (which is normally accurate) says one year.

If it comes out in an Express-News article, then I'd trust it.

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
FoxSports says it's one year as well.

Michael Finley surprisingly signed a one-year, $2.67 million contract to play with the defending champion San Antonio Spurs Thursday, following Nick Van Exel's contract three days earlier.

What this really means: As if the Spurs weren't strong enough ... now they've added an exceptional shooter and runner in Finley, and a tough, smart and resilient point guard in Van Exel — still a fearless and clutch 3-point shooter. The Finley signing, in particular, was a tough blow to the Miami Heat, who appeared to be the leading candidates to sign him. Instead, it's hard to fathom anyone else even competing with the Spurs in the West, while the Heat will struggle with the two-time defending East champion Detroit Pistons, New Jersey Nets, and the rapidly improving young teams in the East that could cause more problems than anyone anticipated.

timvp
09-06-2005, 03:25 PM
95% of the time I see it listed, it's listed as a one-year contract.

That makes things very interesting. What sucks is that if the Spurs re-sign him next year, they are going to have to use the MLE because they don't have his bird rights.

I'm guessing his agent was pushing for the one-year contract because it pretty much screws over the Spurs.

Dex
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
:makemyday

ducks
09-06-2005, 03:40 PM
this could be intersting because would you take finley or SCOLA next year

mcdunk
09-06-2005, 03:42 PM
this could be intersting because would you take finley or SCOLA next year
The Spurs need Finley more than they need Scola with this team. Scola can wait as he has been doing. He had his chance before Oberto landed.

ducks
09-06-2005, 04:14 PM
I am talking about next year
if nazr does not resign then this could get intersting

mcdunk
09-06-2005, 04:20 PM
I am talking about next year
if nazr does not resign then this could get intersting
I am too. Right now we have an influx at the C position. If Rasho is not traded then we will be fine without Nazr and without Scola if it means retaining Finley IMO.

ducks
09-06-2005, 04:23 PM
well there is no need to discuss this to much now because ALOT with happen before then

oberta could be in the doghouse or he could be a star
rasho could be traded
nazr could be resigned

Dre_7
09-06-2005, 04:43 PM
So no one knows for sure how long it is at this moment?

If not, when will we know?

I hope he plays more then just one year for SA!

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah, no reason to be critical of the Spurs if they let Devin walk.

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 05:37 PM
So no one knows for sure how long it is at this moment?

If not, when will we know?

I hope he plays more then just one year for SA!

Well the Spurs never announce terms. But if it's in the Express-News at some point, then I'd trust it.

Dre_7
09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Well the Spurs never announce terms. But if it's in the Express-News at some point, then I'd trust it.

So basically no one will be absolutly sure until you hear it from Express-News?

exstatic
09-06-2005, 06:21 PM
One year also means that he, and his bargain contract, cannot be traded.

timvp
09-06-2005, 06:24 PM
So if the Spurs let Devin walk, they'll be faced with the challenge of signing MF, NVE and whatever other free agent they want next offseason with the MLE. Their only backup swingman will be an aging Brent Barry.

Outstanding.

:shootme

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 06:24 PM
So basically no one will be absolutly sure until you hear it from Express-News?

Well the Spurs never officially announce terms, so you won't even be absolutely sure then.

Dre_7
09-06-2005, 06:50 PM
I just hope he stays for more then one year. I am going to get his Jersey as soon as I can. I would hate to buy it and then have him leave at the end of the year.

marcus
09-06-2005, 09:14 PM
If Finley signs only for one year i say he is a fucker. Seriously, he will really screw us for the next off-season.

Besides this would affect Brent Barry's situation since if we trade him now and next season Finley is out then we will be left with anything.

ducks
09-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Yeah, no reason to be critical of the Spurs if they let Devin walk.
better letting him walk then nash or finely

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 09:54 PM
We get Finley for half price and we're bitching about the fact he might want more next season.

Cuban must be behind it all.

Did we get angry at Bowen for doing the same?

JUUOT
09-06-2005, 10:28 PM
So if the Spurs let Devin walk, they'll be faced with the challenge of signing MF, NVE and whatever other free agent they want next offseason with the MLE. Their only backup swingman will be an aging Brent Barry.

Outstanding.

:shootme

Do they need the MLE to sign their draft picks (scola, javtokas)

Dont they have the LLE or did they use it without me noticing?

I still think they will add a swingman for this season. be it big dog for a year (they would consequently have his birds right?) or a young project like barnes (if finley is here for only a year it makes sense).

Concerning NVE, he can either stay for minimum a second year or be replaced by a more mature beno

thispego
09-06-2005, 11:00 PM
even if finleys current deal is for 1 year, how hard would it be to sign him to an extension next off-season??? Free-agents seem to really love it after coming here and seemingly would love to stay as long as the Spurs wil have them. What are we looking at maybe dishing out to Fin at the end of this season to keep him around?

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 11:05 PM
If Finley signs only for one year i say he is a fucker. Seriously, he will really screw us for the next off-season.

If the contract is only one-year, then that's what the Spurs offered him. Why are you calling him a fucker? :wtf

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Anyway, he'll still be due over $40 million from Cuban next summer. How large could his demands be? Maybe he just wants to be able to walk if it doesn't work out for him.

marcus
09-07-2005, 12:11 AM
If the contract is only one-year, then that's what the Spurs offered him. Why are you calling him a fucker? :wtf

the spurs offered him a one year deal. I thought it was supposed to be for more years. Anyway, if that was supposed to be the original deal then i suppose Finley is not a fucker. :lol

z0sa
09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
finley that fucker!!111111111111111

Dre_7
09-07-2005, 03:20 PM
finley that fucker!!111111111111111

You realize that you are talkin about a Spur, right??

Al Sharpton
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/another-famouse-mouse-picture.jpg

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 03:24 PM
A+ for effort.

F- for disruptive classroom behavior.

loveforthegame
09-11-2005, 12:13 AM
The article is done by Mike Fisher. He's Cuban's pet as Cuban owns the site. He's usually on top of things concerning Mavs or, at least, gets the details straight after the fact. He says Fin's deal is 3yrs. I'm not saying his word is law but I'd say he's got this info from someone in the know.

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/headline_A.asp?pr=

All about Fin: We speculated at the time that there were legit talks that would have resulted in a Finley trade. We still believe that. We'll guess that the Mavs had serious deals in place to swap Fin rather than cut him. Maybe Minnesota? Maybe Toronto (shooter Lamond Murray and 6-9 center Aaron Williams)? We believe that when those sorts of deals fell through, the Mavs remained confident that Fin, as a consolation prize, would at least go East and end up in Miami -- and that the only team more surprised than the Mavs by his move to the Spurs was Miami itself. We believe that Mark Cuban's attempt to "cut a deal'' with Fin to keep him from staying in the West was an attempt at trick-'em,-dick-'em, a sleight-of-hand attempt that might've left Fin holding the bag. ... and a more empty bag than he thought he was holding. We believe Fin represents a bargain for SA, with a three-year deal that goes something like $2.5 mil, $3.0 mil and $3.2 mil. And we believe that privately -- very privately, because the Mavs sharpies never want to say anything negative about Michael -- that rather than feeling consternation over the amnesty rule, they felt elation.

Kori Ellis
09-11-2005, 12:17 AM
The AP article, FoxSports, Hoopshype's salary page, Patricia's basketball's contract page, etc. all say one-year. So I guess until a legitimate sources confirms anything else, people should assume it's one year.

Dex
09-11-2005, 12:18 AM
I won't believe anything until I read it from Hoopsworld. :pctoss

ChumpDumper
09-11-2005, 12:20 AM
:lol

loveforthegame
09-11-2005, 12:42 AM
I won't believe anything until I read it from Hoopsworld. :pctoss

:lol

For what it's worth, I've emailed Mike Fisher to see where he came up with a 3yr deal. I'll post what he says when I get a response.

marcus
09-11-2005, 03:30 AM
The AP article, FoxSports, Hoopshype's salary page, Patricia's basketball's contract page, etc. all say one-year. So I guess until a legitimate sources confirms anything else, people should assume it's one year.

Actually look back at hoopshype site. The 2nd and the 3rd year appear empty (without a 0 but with an unknown value). That means Finley's contract is for 3 years according to them. :spin

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

And this would also mean a better scenario to move Barry! :spin

Solid D
09-11-2005, 06:43 AM
Why so much feeling the Spurs will be messed up if this is only a 1-year deal? The primary players who got the Spurs through a very tough Finals series are there beyond this season, except for Nazr (not part of the concern discussed here). Devin Brown is young and developing but he was not a core player. If he had been healthy he would have probably contributed more than 5 min/game in the playoffs...but he didn't....and they still won. You want a team that is financially sound and no team can get away with muti-year contracts for a core larger than 6 or 7 key players.

If you're thinking, well Bowen isn't getting any younger, right? That's true but he's certainly at his career "prime" after last season and not prone to injury and not showing signs of age yet.

Getting high value, lower dollar role players is a great approach if you can get away with it. A winning system draws that type of talent for the non-starter slots.

If Finley is signed to a multi-year deal, hey that's great but even if it is only a 1-year deal, it's not for a core major-rotation slot. He COULD BE and MAY WELL BECOME a major contributor but that would be a bonus.

boutons
09-11-2005, 11:57 AM
The Finley of 5 years ago would have been great this season.

The current, well-declined Finley will most likely be a marginal contributor. And after his horrible no-show playoff series vs. Suns, I expect he will not be in the Spurs playoff WCF/Finals rotation.

The backcourt playoff bench will be Brent again, and some Nick (if he stays healthy).

The frontcourt playoff bench will be Robert again, and some Fabricio.

z0sa
09-11-2005, 02:19 PM
LOL, if you don't think Finley is going to be a serious contender for sixth man of the year, then I don't know where you've been this entire time

exstatic
09-11-2005, 02:34 PM
The current, well-declined Finley will most likely be a marginal contributor. And after his horrible no-show playoff series vs. Suns, I expect he will not be in the Spurs playoff WCF/Finals rotation.

Terrible take. Anybody remember Horry's performance for LA in 2003? He shot 2-postseason from downtown. People thought he was done, too. All he need was to have his minutes managed. Think along those lines for Finley.

boutons
09-11-2005, 03:47 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but Fin's scoring (and he is ONLY a scorer) has been going down for 5 years, and his career playoff PPG are below his season PPG.

Robert can hit those Big Shots, rebound, block shots, make plays, and be a tricky bitch on defense, "all the little things". Finley has no reputation or stats for any of those items, and now you're saying, with Fin a veteran, aka old man, he also needs his minutes to be managed.

On the Spurs, his career 39 MPG will be more likely well under 24 MPG. If he doesn't show up in the playoffs, as is his habit (more MPG for less PPG, not a good stat for a scorer), with those low season minutes, then I'll be unhappily right.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2005, 03:52 PM
If Finley shoots 39% from the arc and gets a couple of 20+ point games in the playoffs like last season, everything will be worth it.

coopdogg3
09-11-2005, 04:01 PM
I'll just take the 39% from 3-point land. I could care less if he gets 20+ points (though I certainly wouldn't mind it if he did :) ). We are not asking Finley to carry the load offensively so he should be fine with coming off the bench and draining some open threes. I am sure he will do fine with our team defense, if Glenn Robinson can do it, so can Finley.

coopdogg3

mavsfan1000
09-12-2005, 03:02 AM
Maybe it was Finley's injury but he has really loss alot of what he had early in the year. It will be interesting to see how Finley does coming off the bench along with Van Exel in short minutes.

MannyIsGod
09-12-2005, 04:25 AM
Actually look back at hoopshype site. The 2nd and the 3rd year appear empty (without a 0 but with an unknown value). That means Finley's contract is for 3 years according to them. :spin

And this would also mean a better scenario to move Barry! :spin
This man does appear to be correct.

Kori Ellis
09-12-2005, 05:01 AM
This man does appear to be correct.

I would trust AP, Patricia's Basketball and FoxSports before Hoopshype, but who knows. Honestly, we'll probably never know how long Finley's contract is until the possibility of renewing it becomes an issue, or Ludden says it in an article.

TheWriter
09-12-2005, 05:22 AM
I would trust AP, Patricia's Basketball and FoxSports before Hoopshype, but who knows. Honestly, we'll probably never know how long Finley's contract is until the possibility of renewing it becomes an issue, or Ludden says it in an article.

You don't think the AP article lead to Fox using that number leading to Patricia's site using that number?

MannyIsGod
09-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Probably true. Danny Ferry, anyone?

Marcus Bryant
09-12-2005, 10:11 AM
The article is done by Mike Fisher. He's Cuban's pet as Cuban owns the site. He's usually on top of things concerning Mavs or, at least, gets the details straight after the fact. He says Fin's deal is 3yrs. I'm not saying his word is law but I'd say he's got this info from someone in the know.

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/headline_A.asp?pr=

All about Fin: We speculated at the time that there were legit talks that would have resulted in a Finley trade. We still believe that. We'll guess that the Mavs had serious deals in place to swap Fin rather than cut him. Maybe Minnesota? Maybe Toronto (shooter Lamond Murray and 6-9 center Aaron Williams)? We believe that when those sorts of deals fell through, the Mavs remained confident that Fin, as a consolation prize, would at least go East and end up in Miami -- and that the only team more surprised than the Mavs by his move to the Spurs was Miami itself. We believe that Mark Cuban's attempt to "cut a deal'' with Fin to keep him from staying in the West was an attempt at trick-'em,-dick-'em, a sleight-of-hand attempt that might've left Fin holding the bag. ... and a more empty bag than he thought he was holding. We believe Fin represents a bargain for SA, with a three-year deal that goes something like $2.5 mil, $3.0 mil and $3.2 mil. And we believe that privately -- very privately, because the Mavs sharpies never want to say anything negative about Michael -- that rather than feeling consternation over the amnesty rule, they felt elation.

So the Mavs' front office is celebrating because Finley ended up costing the Spurs relatively nothing and the Mavs are still on the hook for the remaining $52 mil on his original contract?

Yeah, Cuban looks really good after that. :lol

waly.mg
09-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Probably can be a one year contract with a second one with Player option

Budkin
05-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Was anyone able to determine the true length of Finley's contract? I'm loving his game and his role with the team and would like to see him stay here whether we win it all or not.

Dre_7
05-18-2006, 09:07 PM
3 years.

Budkin
05-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Sweet, thanks.

Pandaemonaeon
05-19-2006, 01:28 AM
Anyway, he'll still be due over $40 million from Cuban next summer. How large could his demands be? Maybe he just wants to be able to walk if it doesn't work out for him.

He's paid $5-million by Cuban in annual increments ($6.5-million in total) so he's not exactly making a ton of money yearly as he used to. If this truly is a one-year deal and he gets what he wants (a ring) before the season ends, then there's a strong likelihood he'll be looking for a slight increase in salary.

PM5K
05-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Whatever the case, I think Michael Finley has been everything we've asked of him.

During the regular season Michael Finley almost single handedly won five games for our team, and with the close race we had with Dallas for home court, those games made all the difference.

In the Playoffs he is averaging about ten points per, on forty-six and thirty-five percent shooting. He's of course also a decent rebounder and a good free throw shooter.

His defense however does leave something to be desired...

I wouldn't want to see NVE re-signed unless he actually does something in the Playoffs, and for the most part he really hasn't, and I believe I've read he is retiring anyhow.

I think getting younger and more athletic by trading Barry for Smith while still having the experience and maturity of Michael Finley would be great for this team.

bubsdaddy
05-19-2006, 09:10 AM
As a Mavs fan, I hoped Fin would have a horrible season and an even worse playoffs even though I personally respect him and appreciate what he did in Dallas. By his performance this year and the small price you paid for him, it looks to me like you guys should send us a Thank You note.

badmagic
05-19-2006, 09:24 AM
As a Mavs fan, I hoped Fin would have a horrible season and an even worse playoffs even though I personally respect him and appreciate what he did in Dallas. By his performance this year and the small price you paid for him, it looks to me like you guys should send us a Thank You note.

Thank You Note? Spurs didn't ask the Mavs the release Finley so he could come play for the Spurs, the Mavs released Finley and the Spurs picked him up. Mavs lose is the Spurs gain. . . . so I wouldn't expect a Thank You note anytime soon.

LEONARD
05-19-2006, 09:27 AM

bubsdaddy
05-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Mavs lose is the Spurs gain

Yep...my point exactly.