PDA

View Full Version : Do we really want okc to miss the playoffs?

Horse
04-12-2015, 09:55 PM
If they get in they almost certainly lose first round. If they don't they could get a top pick in the lottery. I think the worst place to be in sports in just making the playoffs, no real chance you win a championship and no shot at a top pick.

100%duncan
04-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Durant's career is done anyway

BatManu20
04-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Doesn't matter. Both OKC or the Pelicans will be swept, tbh.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Why the fuck would a lottery pick matter, by the time the guy they pick is actually relevant, we will probably suck anyways. :lol

kjhip1
04-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Plus this draft class is pretty weak

spurraider21
04-12-2015, 10:02 PM
dont care about OKC/Pelicans... all i know is we play the Pel's last game of the season and it would really blow to lose that one

heyheymymy
04-12-2015, 10:08 PM
They controlled their destiny for a while there to a certain degree even with the injuries.

ducks
04-12-2015, 10:09 PM
7 Kentucky players not umpressed

BillMc
04-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Durant's career is done anyway

So is Scotty Brooks'

heyheymymy
04-12-2015, 10:21 PM
This might be the last straw to edge Brooks out of OKC though. If so, the Thunder get stronger.

FvckMavs
04-12-2015, 10:25 PM
don't want Brooks get fired...

K...
04-12-2015, 10:30 PM
And it's too late, baby, now it's too late
Though we really did try to make it
Something inside has died and I can't hide
And I just can't fake it

heyheymymy
04-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Any chance the suspension gets rescinded?

Darth_Pelican
04-12-2015, 10:34 PM
dont care about OKC/Pelicans... all i know is we play the Pel's last game of the season and it would really blow to lose that one

Hopefully Pels can take care of the Wolves tomorrow and the Thunder lose to Portland without Westbrook. If so, the Pels will be resting their starters Wednesday.

heyheymymy
04-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Hopefully Pels can take care of the Wolves tomorrow and the Thunder lose to Portland without Westbrook. If so, the Pels will be resting their starters Wednesday.

best case scenario for everyone, well except OKC

cd021
04-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Their pick would be the 14th pick. They would probably go after a guard. Waiters has been trash. Kantor may have played himself into a big offer in RFA. Wonder if OKC would match if it hits 4 years $58 million. Durant is up for a massive extension after next season (probably 5y/$150 million) Westbrook the year after than (at least 4y/$80 million) and Ibaka (at least 4y/$80 million) They could be playing their top 4 $68 million for a couple of seasons.

cd021
04-12-2015, 10:51 PM

Actually a pretty deep draft. The Thunders problem is that they have don't necessarily need that pick. A 2 way SG would be nice for them

tmtcsc
04-12-2015, 11:01 PM
Irrelevant. Time to get ready for the Mavs again.

cjw
04-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Their pick would be the 14th pick. They would probably go after a guard. Waiters has been trash. Kantor may have played himself into a big offer in RFA. Wonder if OKC would match if it hits 4 years $58 million. Durant is up for a massive extension after next season (probably 5y/$150 million) Westbrook the year after than (at least 4y/$80 million) and Ibaka (at least 4y/$80 million) They could be playing their top 4 $68 million for a couple of seasons.

I think Westbrook and Durant are both getting max five year deals, likely with player options on the back end. If the 30% max salary stays in place for 7+ years experience and the cap goes up to $85 million, they're both getting contracts starting at $25.5 and going up by 7.5% per year = $150 million deals like you say.

If Westbrook is offered anything less, he's out the door.

DMC
04-12-2015, 11:16 PM
I like to see talented players end up in situations where they have a chance to compete for a title. That's not going to happen in OKC and it sucks for the fans. Presti and Brooks need to be fired at the end of this season, and a new GM and coach need to be hired. That would show the players they are serious about winning, and not going to spend another 5 years on the excuse wagon. They need to ship Westbrook off for a pass first PG, get good wing defender and try to coax someone like Gobert over instead of Anus Cancer. Until they do all those things they'll never win, so who gives a shit if they make the playoffs.

DMC
04-12-2015, 11:18 PM
They controlled their destiny for a while there to a certain degree even with the injuries.

That's called an oxymoron

Wu36
04-12-2015, 11:42 PM
Good! I hope the Spurs can get the Pacers 1st rounder like they did in that weak 2011 draft.

hyhy
04-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Now that they are that bad, I actually feel kinda sorry for them, so whatever..

Mikeanaro
04-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Yes, that team has very bad karma so is not our business anyway.

Horry Hipcheck
04-13-2015, 12:18 AM
If they get in they almost certainly lose first round. If they don't they could get a top pick in the lottery. I think the worst place to be in sports in just making the playoffs, no real chance you win a championship and no shot at a top pick.

Hardly a legitimate concern. OKC shopped their best pieces outside of Durant, Ibaka, and Westbrook long ago. Even if they scooped up one of Kentucky's guys, they'll still only go as far as Durant/Ibaka can take them. With Westbrook running point and Brooks at the helm, that's not very far. They've got length and athleticism and not much else - athleticism fades quickly. Durant is on the downslope of his career now, and who knows what his recovery from this surgery will look like, and unless Presti puts someone more competent in charge and brings in some players to function in a system that doesn't rely on Durant and Westbrook putting up a combined fifty shots a game, they'll never really be elite.

OKC's just the really loud kid at the party.

Arcadian
04-13-2015, 12:25 AM
Yes. It would be pretty cool to see the entire SW division in the playoffs, and hilarious to see OKC miss the playoffs, while the Spurs make yet another title run.

Of course, all of this is secondary to the Spurs getting their ideal seed. If we have to take the Pelicans out of it in order to get the 2 seed, then so be it.

cd021
04-13-2015, 04:30 AM
I think Westbrook and Durant are both getting max five year deals, likely with player options on the back end. If the 30% max salary stays in place for 7+ years experience and the cap goes up to $85 million, they're both getting contracts starting at $25.5 and going up by 7.5% per year = $150 million deals like you say.

If Westbrook is offered anything less, he's out the door.

I was wondering about that. I know KD will get the 5 year max. But wasn't sure that Westbrook can get another 5 year extension. I thought each team gets one 5 year extension via bird rights.

cd021
04-13-2015, 04:32 AM
Very good chance the Pelicans beat out the Thuder

both are 43-37

Westbrook is suspended vs the Blazers

Pelicans play the Wolves

if the Thunder lose and the Pelicans win ,NOP clinches the playoffs.

boutons_deux
04-13-2015, 04:59 AM
both are 43-37

Pelicans play the Wolves

... and the Spurs, with Spurs on 2 days rest. NOR does have 3-1 H2H vs OKC

mudyez
04-13-2015, 05:09 AM
Presti and Brooks need to be fired at the end of this season, and a new GM and coach need to be hired. That would show the players they are serious about winning, and not going to spend another 5 years on the excuse wagon. They need to ship Westbrook off for a pass first PG, get good wing defender and try to coax someone like Gobert over instead of Anus Cancer. Until they do all those things they'll never win, so who gives a shit if they make the playoffs.

They won't fire Presti (aside from the Harden fiaco, he did well) but Brooks will have to go (sadly for the Spurs...as Brooks and McHale are the best things that ever happened to the Spurs which are not Spurs related). They also won't ship Westbrook. At this point, I could see them listending to KD-offers rather than Westbrook-offers.
If healthy and with a better coach this team still is a contender.

Raven
04-13-2015, 05:26 AM
i'm going with yes.

mudyez
04-13-2015, 06:39 AM
Pros:
Westbrook vs Curry seems to be fun
While I like Brow, I rather see him outside of the playoffs for one more year, just to have same ammonition vs. people that will start comparing him to TD in like 2025.
Durant seems to be an ok guy.
Even though the difference between the lottery and non-lottery pick isn't huge, I don't want to sweat it out during the lottery.
Don't want Brooks to get fired.

Cons:
It's the effin' Zombisonics.
It's effin' Westbrook.
It's effin Brooks.

Best case scenario is Spurs tanking the last game just to show the middlefinger to OKC.

Seventyniner
04-13-2015, 06:42 AM
NOR does have 3-1 H2H vs OKC

How crazy would it be if the seeding ends up being controlled by Davis's crazy three to beat the Thunder earlier this season?

100%duncan
04-13-2015, 06:45 AM
Pros:
Westbrook vs Curry seems to be fun
While I like Brow, I rather see him outside of the playoffs for one more year, just to have same ammonition vs. people that will start comparing him to TD in like 2025.
Durant seems to be an ok guy.
Even though the difference between the lottery and non-lottery pick isn't huge, I don't want to sweat it out during the lottery.
Don't want Brooks to get fired.

Cons:
It's the effin' Zombisonics.
It's effin' Westbrook.
It's effin Brooks.

Best case scenario is Spurs tanking the last game just to show the middlefinger to OKC.
We cant tank if we want 2.

mudyez
04-13-2015, 06:52 AM
We cant tank if we want 2.

Its worth it ;)

j/k but I guess there is a scenario, where it's not an important win for us, isn't there?

100%duncan
04-13-2015, 06:55 AM
Its worth it ;)

j/k but I guess there is a scenario, where it's not an important win for us, isn't there?
Im not sure. Seedig is really fucked up this season that its better not to understand that much

TampaDude
04-13-2015, 06:56 AM
We have 2 days off before the Pels game and at least 2 days off after it, so I think we go all in to win the division on Wednesday night.

Macca76
04-13-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm going with yes too. I like the Pelicans and really dislike OKC (it's only basketball so hate was too hard even if... :lol )

DMC
04-13-2015, 07:47 AM
They won't fire Presti (aside from the Harden fiaco, he did well) but Brooks will have to go (sadly for the Spurs...as Brooks and McHale are the best things that ever happened to the Spurs which are not Spurs related). They also won't ship Westbrook. At this point, I could see them listending to KD-offers rather than Westbrook-offers.
If healthy and with a better coach this team still is a contender.

Therein lies the problem; These are issues a GM is responsible for. Bring KD back too soon, keeping a shitty coach through time when you should be building new trophy cases.. that's all on the GM if the ownership isn't micromanaging. They have a young roster compared to a lot of teams, but at least at one point they had the most stacked team in the league considering how those guys are rated right now. They did basically shit with it while the Spurs have continued right along with their same core and a bunch of people that teams like OKC would never even give a look at.

Presti won't go, most likely, but culture change has to be a bit invasive and they need culture change.

Uriel
04-13-2015, 07:58 AM

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-13-2015, 08:35 AM
Therein lies the problem; These are issues a GM is responsible for. Bring KD back too soon, keeping a shitty coach through time when you should be building new trophy cases.. that's all on the GM if the ownership isn't micromanaging. They have a young roster compared to a lot of teams, but at least at one point they had the most stacked team in the league considering how those guys are rated right now. They did basically shit with it while the Spurs have continued right along with their same core and a bunch of people that teams like OKC would never even give a look at.

Presti won't go, most likely, but culture change has to be a bit invasive and they need culture change.

It's incredible how badly Presti has handled things after his stellar initial job - stripping the Sonics of their assets and bringing great value back for everyone, used the cap space well, drafted 3 HOF talents and another all-star potential big. Textbook stuff.

Then when he had to move to the next level - paying his stars, managing the cap, bringing the right role players, finding a competent coach, etc - he's done almost everything wrong, it boggles the mind when you think of it. You have 3 HOF level players entering their prime at the same time, all willing to stay and play together and all you have to show for it is a lost finals. It's incredible how they've managed to screw it up. That's why Pop likes to say the best thing he has achieved is not messing things up. It's so true.

cjw
04-13-2015, 08:39 AM
I was wondering about that. I know KD will get the 5 year max. But wasn't sure that Westbrook can get another 5 year extension. I thought each team gets one 5 year extension via bird rights.

Thought so too but that's only when coming off rookie deals. See the Heat - Wade maxed to five years with opt-out and Lebron/Bosh got to five years too with opt-outs via sign & trade.

cd021
04-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Thought so too but that's only when coming off rookie deals. See the Heat - Wade maxed to five years with opt-out and Lebron/Bosh got to five years too with opt-outs via sign & trade.

Wasn't those deals under the old CBA? They signed that in the off season of 2010 and the lockout was 1 year later. I thin they were 6 year deals with with E.T.Os. They could have opted in and been under contract for another season or two.

hater
04-13-2015, 01:36 PM

agree Pelicans are a "decent" team who hopefully could give the worriers at least 6 games.

the OKC thunder would get demolished in 4

cd021
04-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Westbrook playing tonight.

If they lose and the Pelicans beat the Wolves. Pelicans clinch.

Obstructed_View
04-13-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm sure the rest of the Thunder are disappointed in the NBA for rescinding that tech. I'd be interested in seeing that team play a must-win game without him. 43 FGA. Fuck.

cjw
04-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Wasn't those deals under the old CBA? They signed that in the off season of 2010 and the lockout was 1 year later. I thin they were 6 year deals with with E.T.Os. They could have opted in and been under contract for another season or two.

You're right, those were 6 year deals under the old CBA. New CBA limits deals to five years, including player/team options. Only deals that are limited to four years are those coming off rookie deals (except for one designated guy, which will be Kawhi for the Spurs).

Re: the playoff race, New Orleans' magic number is 2 (Thunder losses or Pels wins):

1.) Pels will almost certainly win against Minnesota tonight (Minnesota has NO incentive to win as it's locked with the Knicks for the #1 lottery slot ... a win would give them less lottery balls plus eliminate an unlikely coin flip in event that neither team is chosen into top 3). New Orleans is favored by 13.5.

2.) Thunder get to play a Portland team that has no incentive to win. They're locked into 4 seed and will not have home court in round 1. Only incentive would be if they'd rather have OKC or NOP play potential second round opponent GSW in round 1. I imagine they rest guys instead and Westbrook goes for 50 against Lillard or whoever backs him up. OKC is favored by 8.5.

3.) Likewise, OKC plays Minnesota the last night of the season. Assuming OKC wins tonight against Portland, this is almost a guaranteed win too and NOP will need to beat the Spurs to make the playoffs. I imagine Spurs will be favored by a point or two, if that, while OKC will be favored by a number similar to the 13.5 assuming it doesn't blow its chance tonight.

Malik Hairston
04-13-2015, 02:07 PM
As long as Brooks is still their coach, I ain't worried bout nothin, tbh..

cd021
04-13-2015, 03:29 PM
You're right, those were 6 year deals under the old CBA. New CBA limits deals to five years, including player/team options. Only deals that are limited to four years are those coming off rookie deals (except for one designated guy, which will be Kawhi for the Spurs).

Re: the playoff race, New Orleans' magic number is 2 (Thunder losses or Pels wins):

1.) Pels will almost certainly win against Minnesota tonight (Minnesota has NO incentive to win as it's locked with the Knicks for the #1 lottery slot ... a win would give them less lottery balls plus eliminate an unlikely coin flip in event that neither team is chosen into top 3). New Orleans is favored by 13.5.

2.) Thunder get to play a Portland team that has no incentive to win. They're locked into 4 seed and will not have home court in round 1. Only incentive would be if they'd rather have OKC or NOP play potential second round opponent GSW in round 1. I imagine they rest guys instead and Westbrook goes for 50 against Lillard or whoever backs him up. OKC is favored by 8.5.

3.) Likewise, OKC plays Minnesota the last night of the season. Assuming OKC wins tonight against Portland, this is almost a guaranteed win too and NOP will need to beat the Spurs to make the playoffs. I imagine Spurs will be favored by a point or two, if that, while OKC will be favored by a number similar to the 13.5 assuming it doesn't blow its chance tonight.

:tu good post

wildbill2u
04-13-2015, 04:38 PM

As of today, considering the health and talent of the Pelicans compared to OKC, I'd say the Thunder are less dangerous.

SanDiegoSpursFan
04-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Westbrook's game is so aggressive, it's fun to watch but honestly I hope OKC and every single member of the 2012 Thunder never achieve anything, so yes I want them to miss the playoffs. The league rescinding Westbrook's tech reaffirms my dislike of them.