PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Popovich = Bill Belichick AND Pete Carroll

Pauleta14
04-12-2015, 10:56 PM
I just wanted to share this Grantland article.

It's about a about NBA/NFL crossover and I thought the destricption he made of Pop was perfect...

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbanfl-crossover-who-is-the-aaron-rodgers-of-basketball/

Gregg Popovich = Bill Belichick AND Pete Carroll. Shared brilliance and numerous titles aside, calling Pop Belichick isn’t enough. In fact, it’s borderline insulting. Belichick seems like a miserable person to be around. He has no life outside of football. Pop’s personal life is fascinating for a hundred different reasons (http://www.si.com/vault/2013/04/29/106316155/pop-art), and on a night-to-night basis, he’s genuinely hilarious.

This is the difference between their press conferences. There is real wit to what Pop does. Belichick is mostly just a dick.
Also, Belichick cuts players the second he thinks they’re done. Pop turns role players into secret weapons and rests his veterans. Carroll is a good comparison because players love playing for Popovich. Players fear Pop like Belichick, but they adore him like Carroll, and Pop gives them the freedom to exploit their strengths, while treating everyone like an adult. He also doesn’t spend his downtime reading up on the melting point for steel beams or jabbering out positivity like a 10th-grade gym teacher, which is why he’s not just Carroll. Popovich combines the best qualities of the two best coaches in the NFL, with none of their weaknesses. That’s why he is the greatest coach any of us will see in sports for a long time.

TampaDude
04-12-2015, 10:58 PM
I just wanted to share this Grantland article.

It's about a about NBA/NFL crossover and I thought the destricption he made of Pop was perfect...

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbanfl-crossover-who-is-the-aaron-rodgers-of-basketball/

Gregg Popovich = Bill Belichick AND Pete Carroll. Shared brilliance and numerous titles aside, calling Pop Belichick isn’t enough. In fact, it’s borderline insulting. Belichick seems like a miserable person to be around. He has no life outside of football. Pop’s personal life is fascinating for a hundred different reasons (http://www.si.com/vault/2013/04/29/106316155/pop-art), and on a night-to-night basis, he’s genuinely hilarious.

This is the difference between their press conferences. There is real wit to what Pop does. Belichick is mostly just a dick.
Also, Belichick cuts players the second he thinks they’re done. Pop turns role players into secret weapons and rests his veterans. Carroll is a good comparison because players love playing for Popovich. Players fear Pop like Belichick, but they adore him like Carroll, and Pop gives them the freedom to exploit their strengths, while treating everyone like an adult. He also doesn’t spend his downtime reading up on the melting point for steel beams or jabbering out positivity like a 10th-grade gym teacher, which is why he’s not just Carroll. Popovich combines the best qualities of the two best coaches in the NFL, with none of their weaknesses. That’s why he is the greatest coach any of us will see in sports for a long time.

Plus, Pop doesn't cheat.

BillMc
04-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Plus, Pop doesn't cheat.

+1billion

RD2191
04-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Pop isn't a faggot cheater.

wildcardX
04-12-2015, 11:17 PM
Plus, Pop doesn't cheat.

Yes, no ball deflating incidents in SA.

Wait, that would be of no benefit to anyone.

Holden_Caulfield
04-12-2015, 11:18 PM
pop>>> bill+pete

DMC
04-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Comparing people who just happen to be successful never actually works. It's like saying Steve Jobs is just a better Michael Dell. They are nothing alike (especially now).

DMC
04-12-2015, 11:20 PM

Stop Tony from dribbling so goddamned much.

wildcardX
04-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Stop Tony from dribbling so goddamned much.

Ahh yes, you have a point there.

ElNono
04-12-2015, 11:28 PM
linked from that:
http://www.woosk.com/2010/05/ethan-albrights-letter-to-john-madden-about-being-the-lowest-rated-player-in-madden-football.html

:lmao

Stevie Johnson
04-12-2015, 11:30 PM
LOL for all we know Pop was probably the culprit behind the no AC game. Had the Heat won that game the series would have looked different.

K...
04-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Pop also cheated Larry Bird. He dumped S-Jax like a cold MF too. Not sure it's a crime but he's delivered tons of mental trauma to Dwight Howard (among others).

DMC
04-12-2015, 11:40 PM
LOL for all we know Pop was probably the culprit behind the no AC game. Had the Heat won that game the series would have looked different.
Had your balls dropped you would have looked different as well.

The Reckoning
04-12-2015, 11:45 PM
players from the team closest to the equator complaining about no AC :lol

TVI
04-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Pop also cheated Larry Bird. He dumped S-Jax like a cold MF too. Not sure it's a crime but he's delivered tons of mental trauma to Dwight Howard (among others).
Meh...Jax dumped himself. Dude thought he still had game, and was bitching about PT when it was clear to everyone else that he was done.

marinoman
04-12-2015, 11:55 PM
:bobo

TampaDude
04-13-2015, 07:25 AM

If Miami had won Games 1 and 2, we would've backdoor swept them. The Heat were done after Game 4.

mudyez
04-13-2015, 08:21 AM

Wasn't there some legal thing with the hoops in Utah. They prefered them to be very hard I remember, so they pimped the boards/rims.

Sorry, I'm scared to google search "Utah rimjob hard" for further information.

ginobilized
04-13-2015, 08:52 AM
Chris Paul = dick punching Peyton Manning:lmao

Pauleta14
04-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Comparing people who just happen to be successful never actually works. It's like saying Steve Jobs is just a better Michael Dell. They are nothing alike (especially now).

I agree and actually was "pissed" constantly hearing people comparing Pop to Belichick who really seems to be a dick as a human being. (and a cheater)

At least in this case the author needed 2 hof football coaches to come close to what Pop is...

cantthinkofanything
04-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Had your balls dropped you would have looked different as well.

:lol

wildbill2u
04-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Once you start taking certain characteristics from one coach and adding other characteristics from other successful coaches, there is no end to it. How about the ability of Joe Gibbs of the Redskins to go into half-time and rework his offense/defense schemes to win games. I never saw anyone who was better at that among football coaches.

That would relate to Pop's similar ability for half-time adjustments and also his unparalleled skill at drawing up successful plays after a time out.

Pop is unique for a lot of reasons when you consider the entire package.

HI-FI
04-13-2015, 08:32 PM
good article OP, probably wouldn't have read it otherwise.

This. Pop is a genuinely good person and hilarious, he's helped build something for the ages. Whereas with Belichick, take away his right hand RainMan and the house of cards crumbles.

james evans
04-13-2015, 10:13 PM
still to this day I believe the spurs practiced in the heat and shut that ac down. NOthing can convince me otherwise

Pauleta14
04-13-2015, 10:27 PM
still to this day I believe the spurs practiced in the heat and shut that ac down. NOthing can convince me otherwise

Let me guess, you also think nobody ever walked on the moon right?

james evans
04-14-2015, 02:27 AM
Let me guess, you also think nobody ever walked on the moon right?
I don't believe that shit either.

Pauleta14
04-14-2015, 03:07 PM
I don't believe that shit either.

:lol

Blake
04-14-2015, 03:26 PM

All the Popsuckers that scoffed and tried to ridicule me when I said that Pop is still the biggest obstacle to the Spurs winning a title....

what is the reasoning now?
Where is the Coach of the year?

Bonner still the first "big" off the bench...

No sight of a TD/Tiago pairing....

Blair...6'7'' starting center ...

Being embarrassed by MIKE BROWN....MIKE FUCKIN' BROWN!

McRoberts posterizing Bonner....Pop pulls Bonner...Pop puts Bonner right back in...GENIUS!

No One on the Spurs with any desire...any fire...any balls...and Coach Pop didn't change anything...just kept the same rotation...the same everything....

This is what the Playoffs have in store...and this is exactly what happened last season...

Pop has had two seasons now with Splitter...and in two seasons...he has not been able to "find time" to try and integrate his only two players approaching 7 feet....this is the NBA where being tall is something that can't be taught...on top of that Splitter is not just some "serviceable' "blue collar" role player...he can actually be an asset by his mere presence on the court with his vision, passing, and basketball IQ...but fuckhead coach has pissed away two seasons....

This seasons playoffs are just about here and fuckhead coach is right on cue to get embarrassed again....

COTY....:lmao

Dingle Barry
04-15-2015, 12:26 AM

How did pop cheat Larry Bird, dumbass?

mudyez
04-15-2015, 01:57 AM
How did pop cheat Larry Bird, dumbass?

Dealing Paul George for Kawhi Leonard.

james evans
04-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Dealing Paul George for Kawhi Leonard.
u mean George Hill

mudyez
04-15-2015, 06:08 PM
u mean George Hill