PDA

View Full Version : The 2014 and 2015 Spurs...

TampaDude
04-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Are the 2014/2015 Spurs the deepest team in NBA history?

TampaDude
04-14-2015, 05:02 AM
If not, who was?

Raven
04-14-2015, 05:20 AM
either 2012 or 2011 spurs, or the championship dallas.

TampaDude
04-14-2015, 05:23 AM

Yeah, that Mavs team was a steamroller. Dirk was on a mission that year.

Horry Hipcheck
04-14-2015, 12:47 PM
2011 Mavs were insanely deep. Dirk, Kidd, Chandler, Barea, Haywood, Novak, Brewer, Butler, Stojakovic, Dick-Punch Terry, Pavlovic, Beaubois. Even if the Spurs had survived Memphis that year, I think Dallas would have run right through them.

BillMc
04-14-2015, 12:51 PM
2011 Mavs were insanely deep. Dirk, Kidd, Chandler, Barea, Haywood, Novak, Brewer, Butler, Stojakovic, Dick-Punch Terry, Pavlovic, Beaubois. Even if the Spurs had survived Memphis that year, I think Dallas would have run right through them.

Which made it all the stranger that Cuban broke that team up to chase phantom max free agents.

As to this poll, I think last year's Spurs were a little deeper than this year's as Patty, Manu and Belli were playing better (though Baynes is improved this year).

Horry Hipcheck
04-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Which made it all the stranger that Cuban broke that team up to chase phantom max free agents.

As to this poll, I think last year's Spurs were a little deeper than this year's as Patty, Manu and Belli were playing better (though Baynes is improved this year).

Agreed. On paper, the Spurs aren't terrifically deep. Last year they got great production out of Mills and Marco. Bobo and Manu have been solid, but really we'll have to see how they do in the playoffs. Baynes and CoJo have been great, Bonner remains the Rasho Nesterovic of the modern era.

$pursDynasty
04-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Modern history yes but I remember teams from my youth, the joke was that the 80's Lakers backups would have been a playoff team themselves, I am not sure that you could say the same for our bench (this year, moreso last year maybe). Also the Bad Boys Pistons were incredibly deep as well. However from MJ on yea I would have to say this version of the Spurs is the deepest.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Modern history yes but I remember teams from my youth, the joke was that the 80's Lakers backups would have been a playoff team themselves, I am not sure that you could say the same for our bench (this year, moreso last year maybe). Also the Bad Boys Pistons were incredibly deep as well. However from MJ on yea I would have to say this version of the Spurs is the deepest.

There was 5 or 6 less teams back those days. NBA is watered down compared to back then.

gameFACE
04-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Maybe the deepest "Spurs" team. Even if it's not it's the best Spurs reigning champs team that has a chance to repeat.

Sean Cagney
04-14-2015, 02:34 PM

2011 Spurs team got knocked out by Memphis, that team was a fluke IMO although Ginobili got hurt. They didn't play great D like our other Spurs teams and were slipping towards the playoffs on end, not nearly the deepest Spurs team IMO.

2012 they got better and then 2013 even better, then 2014 they hit their peak and everyone was playing well. I would leave the 2011 Spurs off that list though, not my fave team and quite a few starters and role players were just eh. We had Dyess and Bonner getting major minutes! Not my fave team.

jsandiego
04-14-2015, 02:36 PM
That 2000 Blazers team that lost to the lakers in 7 games in the WCF -- they were a pretty deep squad from what I remember. Our squad this year is pretty much identical to last year, except we're older, Patty and TP have struggled, and Baynes has played better. I'd go with last year's team as deeper.

spurs1990
04-14-2015, 09:51 PM
That 2000 Blazers team that lost to the lakers in 7 games in the WCF -- they were a pretty deep squad from what I remember. Our squad this year is pretty much identical to last year, except we're older, Patty and TP have struggled, and Baynes has played better. I'd go with last year's team as deeper.

Yes this is what I would mention.

Their 10 man rotation: Stoudamire, Steve Smith, Pippen, Rasheed, Sabonis; bench - Greg Anthony, Bonzi Wells, Schrempft, Brian Grant, Jermaine O'Neal.

But I'd put our guys over since outside of the top 10 we can add Bonner, Cory Joseph, and even Ayers. Really all 13 players could contribute in a potential playoff game.