PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Rating over the last couple of weeks

ElNono
04-13-2015, 02:12 PM
http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&DateFrom=03%2F31%2F2015

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ztalw7.png

Interesting the Warriors dropped to #14, and Cavs are at #16... is it coasting because they don't have anything else to play for or tired legs? Maybe peaking too soon?

ElNono
04-13-2015, 02:13 PM
We're also #2 in offensive rating over the same span... just really peaking at the right time...

Fireball
04-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Cleveland never had a good defensive rating to begin with, haven't they?

Most important is that the Spurs are Top3 as you can only speculate about the Warriors.

My question: Is there a huge drop-off in defensive efficiency the last games since Splitter re-injured himself?

Seventyniner
04-13-2015, 02:17 PM
The offense coming back to form is the biggest development. Parker in particular has gone from terrible on both ends to good on offense and slightly less terrible on defense.

Malik Hairston
04-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Schedule + effort level, mostly meaningless IMO..

Cavs have been mediocre or worse defensively all year, though..

Fireball
04-13-2015, 02:18 PM
We're also #2 in offensive rating over the same span... just really peaking at the right time...

yup ... if Splitter gets somewhat healthy only the Dubs stand in the Spurs way to the Finals ...

apalisoc_9
04-13-2015, 02:19 PM
cavs rested their player for a few games...Plus they have always been average defensively.

Warriors just doesn't have anything to play for, IMO...

But the spurs are looking good, IMO..

This is probably the best year to repeat because if you get past the warriors, you repeat IMO..

Hopefully 5th seed pulls an upset..unlikely but that would make things so much easier.

ElNono
04-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Schedule + effort level, mostly meaningless IMO..

Warriors did play us fully fit in that span, IIRC... although DPOY Draymond Green did miss some games, right?

ElNono
04-13-2015, 02:23 PM
One thing I think stands out when you're talking about the Spurs, is that our schedule was far from a cakewalk in that span. We played the Warriors, Rockets twice, the Thunder... at least one of those was a back to back and a 4 games in 5 nights, IIRC...

Checking the SOS in ESPN for the last 25% of games, the Spurs had a tougher schedule than the Warriors...

ironman2886
04-13-2015, 02:33 PM
It's better to be playing the best defense now then months ago. Warriors came out of the gate like a lot of teams going balls deep. "Coasting" the last part of the season sounds dangerous, especially for a team that wants to go from getting sent home in the first round last season to winning a championship this season. Spurs playing better when they should be.

Brazil
04-13-2015, 04:09 PM
http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&DateFrom=03%2F31%2F2015

Interesting the Warriors dropped to #14, and Cavs are at #16... is it coasting because they don't have anything else to play for or tired legs? Maybe peaking too soon?

Warriors locked 1st seed a while back... I would not read a lot into a decrease on D. That's the first part of the game you become worst when unmotivated tbh...

SnakeBoy
04-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Warriors locked 1st seed a while back... I would not read a lot into a decrease on D. That's the first part of the game you become worst when unmotivated tbh...

It's also the hardest part of the game to get back.

Brazil
04-13-2015, 06:12 PM
It's also the hardest part of the game to get back.

In fact I disagree with that, it's tougher to get back at a well oiled offense than defense imo

dabom
04-13-2015, 06:14 PM
In fact I disagree with that, it's tougher to get back at a well oiled offense than defense imo

I disagree. Suffocating defense is the hardest to maintain.

ElNono
04-13-2015, 06:19 PM

We'll see. They're going to need to beef up that defense again, since his offense has also taken a nosedive lately, and it's very likely because they can't go out running after a stop.

jag
04-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Surprised the AST% isn't higher

Brazil
04-13-2015, 07:04 PM
I disagree. Suffocating defense is the hardest to maintain.

Difference of opinion tbh

In all sport I played, you build upon defense so you could say you start with the most difficult but in my experience defense is easier to control and put in place as energy / motivation / hustles are big part of a defense system and are less technical than handles, shooting mechanics, spacing.

Brazil
04-13-2015, 07:08 PM
We'll see. They're going to need to beef up that defense again, since his offense has also taken a nosedive lately, and it's very likely because they can't go out running after a stop.

Its gonna be interesting, kerr is obviously playing the card I play everybody till the end because lack of experience and capacity to switch on to enter in POs. The minus of that is getting players on the floor losing interest indeed. How they will switch and adapt ? That's the question but they should have a rather easy opponent to begin with so they should have time to get everybody back on track

SnakeBoy
04-13-2015, 07:34 PM

http://thats-normal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/wrong.gif

Brazil
04-13-2015, 08:13 PM
http://thats-normal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/wrong.gif

ok ok :lol now I'm convinced

Raven
04-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Difference of opinion tbh

In all sport I played, you build upon defense so you could say you start with the most difficult but in my experience defense is easier to control and put in place as energy / motivation / hustles are big part of a defense system and are less technical than handles, shooting mechanics, spacing.

yeah, i agree. that's why D wins games.

GSH
04-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Those numbers are just gaudy. The NetRtg is off the charts.

That DefRtg, as impressive as it is, would be even better if you only counted the first 40 minutes of those games. The Spurs have had so many blowouts going that they have put the Pylons in at the ends of games, and they have given up a shitload of points. If you look at rotation players vs. rotation players, the Spurs DefRtg and NetRtg would be unbelievable.

The adjusted shooting numbers, the rebounding numbers - all at or near the top in the league. If there is a negative in the whole pile, it's turnovers. No news there. The way they are playing, they're going to be nearly impossible to beat any night the keep the TO's under 14.

Agloco
04-13-2015, 10:31 PM

#1 I think.....unless I've missed something in this chart.

ElNono
04-13-2015, 10:35 PM
#1 I think.....unless I've missed something in this chart.

I get the Mavs 1st at 113.4 and Spurs 2nd at 112.4

Agloco
04-13-2015, 10:39 PM
I get the Mavs 1st at 113.4 and Spurs 2nd at 112.4

:tu

Thought you were talking about only the teams on that graphic.

AaronY
04-14-2015, 05:01 AM
M

SouthernFried
04-14-2015, 05:35 AM
Defense is more of an attitude. Offense is more of a skill. Easier to get the attitude back, than the skill.

You can get unskilled players to play good D. Hard to get unskilled players to play good O. Unless they can dunk like Shaq...

:stirpot: ;)

Seventyniner
04-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Try this one:
http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=1&DateFrom=02%2F26%2F2015&GameSegment=First%20Half

This is from February 26 to today, but only the first halves of games. I wanted a small proxy for non-garbage time.
Spurs Net Rtg: +24.2 :wow:wow
Next 2: Clippers +11.3, Warriors +9.5

If you look at only the third quarter, it goes Warriors +23.8 (:wow), Jazz +19.2, Spurs +13.8. Clippers in 6th with +7.4.

For 4th quarters only in that timespan, the Spurs are +1.4 and the Warriors are -1.7. Looks like the Spurs aren't the only team who gives up lots of points in garbage time.

This tool doesn't let you filter for first three quarters only, so I did each quarter separately and averaged them. For Net Rtg (again for Feb 26 to present), it goes Spurs +20.7, Warriors +14.3, Jazz +10.9, Clippers +10.0, Cavs +7.1.