PDA

View Full Version : Nagin Blames Blanco

Jelly
09-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Mayor Nagin: Gov. Blanco Delayed Rescue

After days of blaming the federal officials for not responding quickly enough to the Hurricane Katrina crisis, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin praised President Bush on Monday - and charged that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco had delayed federal rescue efforts by 24 hours.

"I'm so happy that the president came down here," Nagin said of Bush's Friday visit to Louisiana in an interview with CNN. "He came down and saw it, and he put a general on the field. His name is General Honore. And when he hit the field, we started to see action."

But Nagin had harsh words for his state's leaders, telling CNN: "What the state was doing, I don't frigging know. But I tell you, I am pissed. It wasn't adequate."
The New Orleans Democrat said he urged Bush to meet privately with Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco during the visit. The meeting took place aboard Air Force One, he said.

After reviewing the crisis with Gov. Blanco, Bush summoned Nagin for a private chat - where, according to Nagin, Bush explained: "Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor. I said . . . I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision."

Reacting to the governor's footdragging, Nagin lamented: "It would have been great if we could have left Air Force One, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out."

"It didn't happen, and more people died."

Jelly
09-06-2005, 04:46 PM
By the way, did you guys know that Nagin was a Republican until 2002?

The Ressurrected One
09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
What a fucking idiot.

JoeChalupa
09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Kudos to Nagin! His "rant" as many described got the President's attention and great job by Bush. I give him credit too.
And why is a person's political affiliation matter?

Jelly
09-06-2005, 04:53 PM
What a fucking idiot.

Because he switched parties?

JoeChalupa
09-06-2005, 04:54 PM
What a fucking idiot.

No need to go off on Bush like that. He responded!

The Ressurrected One
09-06-2005, 04:56 PM
No need to go off on Bush like that. He responded!
Yeah.

Jelly
09-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Kudos to Nagin! His "rant" as many described got the President's attention and great job by Bush. I give him credit too.
And why is a person's political affiliation matter?

I just thought that was an interesting factoid (his switching parties).

Though Nagin made some early mistakes, I think Blanco has been the biggest screw-up in all of this.

Nbadan
09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Please post a perma-link to articles posted in this forum so they can be checked for authenticity and accuracy.

Dos
09-06-2005, 05:19 PM
yeah just don't post crap from moveon.org

whottt
09-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Please post a perma-link to articles posted in this forum so they can be checked for authenticity and accuracy.

:lol :lmao

I get it now Dan...sorry that I took you so seriously these past couple of years.

whottt
09-06-2005, 05:24 PM

:lol :rollin :lmao

JoeChalupa
09-06-2005, 05:27 PM
I just that was an interesting factoid (his switching parties).

Though Nagin made some early mistakes, I think Blanco has been the biggest screw-up in all of this.

I agree. But I still find "some" fault in the Federal response, not necessarily Bush but somebody should be held accountable.

Heck, I'll be the first to admit Clinton was not perfect...why is it so hard for Bush supporters to find fault?

whottt
09-06-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't care if Nagin was a Republican...he's total coward and asscovering douche bag who is unfit to lead or govern the unclogging of a toilet.

I saw Olberman mention that Nagin was a Republican in his 2008 Democratic Platform Speech yesterday...

It was at that time that all doubts in my mind about Nagin's contributions to this disaster were erased...even the Democrats know he is going down...so they started the disassociation process before the news breaks.

Like I say...just wait till the Black Leaders in New Orleans that aren't Jesse Jackson whores get hold of Nagin's ass...He's going to wish the CIA would assassinate him.

At least the Govenor isn't playing the blame game, ...for that I give her credit. Of course I wish I could say it was because of some kind of altruism..but basically I think it's because she knows fucked up by waiting to call in the feds.

Dos
09-06-2005, 05:30 PM
eh last year when florida got hit by 4 hurricanes... their were no cries to fire the FEMA director then... I guess it pays to have a plan and a governor that knows how to deal with a disaster...

whottt
09-06-2005, 05:32 PM

:lol :rollin :lmao

Ocotillo
09-06-2005, 05:34 PM
eh last year when florida got hit by 4 hurricanes... their were no cries to fire the FEMA director then... I guess it pays to have a plan and a governor that knows how to deal with a disaster...

Or have your disasters in an election year.

Nbadan
09-06-2005, 05:36 PM

Yeah, it does help that it was an election year and when your brother is the Governor of the state being affected. However, lets not mention that FEMA issued millions of dollars in disaster relief to victims of Florida without there ever being a assessment to the value of property lost because that would look like blantant government fraud and waste.

Jelly
09-06-2005, 05:37 PM
He said much of the same on Oprah today, basically pointed the finger at the state government. He asked how can a state with an X amount budget not take care of it's own people. Didn't say anything about the Federal Government.

I think it's becoming clear what position Nagin's going to take when the Katrina commitee gets underway.

JoeChalupa
09-06-2005, 05:37 PM

And a brother in the Oval Office. :lol

whottt
09-06-2005, 05:39 PM
And a brother in the Oval Office. :lol

I didn't realize Bush was related to the President of Sri Lanka...

whottt
09-06-2005, 05:40 PM

:lol

Vashner
09-06-2005, 05:43 PM

BAAHHAHAHAHAHA .... a little something you can run from or smear...
it's little a little alien under NBAdan's skin...

Remember in Star Trek when they put that bug in Checkovz ear? That's what this post is like for NBAdan...

Useruser666
09-06-2005, 05:50 PM
How do you source "the voices in your head"?

whottt
09-06-2005, 05:58 PM

:lmao

Nbadan
09-06-2005, 06:04 PM
How do you source "the voices in your head"?

I thought that was SW whisphering sweet nothings into my ear again.

cecil collins
09-06-2005, 06:06 PM
So the man likes sources. Guess I don't get the joke.

whottt
09-06-2005, 06:10 PM
LOL...you don't get a lot of things, but exactly what do you want me to do about it? Pay for your ticket to Kooba?

Dos
09-06-2005, 06:11 PM
the only opinion that matters to a liberal is theirs...

Money316
09-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Heaven forbid an African American politian be held responsible for demonstrating a complete lack of leadership in the face of this mess. Go ahead and blame it on Whitey.

What many of the poor folks are saying when asked why they didn't get out, is they were trying to saving the little they had and owned.

However, the simple fact is that these good people weren't trying to save their few belongings from storm damage, but their trash neighbors they were sure would break-in and steal their stuff.

It's sad but it's not Whitey that Blacks fear most.

:fro :fro :fro

whottt
09-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah..because whites never steal, rape or murder...

Clandestino
09-06-2005, 07:09 PM

:lol :lmao

cecil collins
09-06-2005, 07:17 PM
However, the simple fact is that these good people weren't trying to save their few belongings from storm damage, but their trash neighbors they were sure would break-in and steal their stuff.

It's sad but it's not Whitey that Blacks fear most.

You just called black people trash, in a round a'bout way, pretty trashy wouldn't you say.

LOL...you don't get a lot of things, but exactly what do you want me to do about it? Pay for your ticket to Kooba?

A debate, good, but why must we keep beating the same communist drum. I never, at any point said that I was a communist, but I do think it can be a good thing. Can we stick to the topics at hand so every topic doesn't end up as "why is cecil a commie." Thanks.

Hook Dem
09-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Forget it Dan! It's probably not moveon.org.

Money316
09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
You just called black people trash, in a round a'bout way, pretty trashy wouldn't you say.

No only the trashy neighbors they ultimately feared would rob them in their absence. Today they reported that many of those raped in the Superdome were babies; It appears they did so, knowing in the safety of the darkness, they wouldn't get caught. These assholes are basically Trash defined.

spurster
09-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm confused. Lots of insults but no link.

Jelly
09-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Sigh. Any one of you could have googled the story if you cared that much.(I think the fact that it's referenced as a CNN interview would give you a friggin' clue where to look- especially Jedi Googlers like Dan)
Normally, I provide links, but I forgot this time. So shoot me. :rolleyes

The original link was from Newsmax, but I found the actual transcript here-
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0509/05/ltm.01.html

It's a Soledad O'Brien interview. Here's an extended version...

S. O'BRIEN: There are people who say your evacuation plan, obviously in hindsight, was disastrous.

MAYOR RAY NAGIN, NEW ORLEANS: Which one?

S. O'BRIEN: Your evacuation plan before -- when you put people into the Superdome. It wasn't thought out. You got 20,000 people in there. And that you bear the brunt of the blame for some of this, a large chunk of it.

NAGIN: Look, I'll take whatever responsibility that I have to take. But let me ask you this question: When you have a city of 500,000 people, and you have a category 5 storm bearing down on you, and you have the best you've ever done is evacuate 60 percent of the people out of the city, and you have never issued a mandatory evacuation in the city's history, a city that is a couple of hundred years old, I did that. I elevated the level of distress to the citizens.

And I don't know what else I could do, other than to tell them that it's a mandatory evacuation. And if they stayed, make sure you have a frigging ax in your home, where you can bust out the roof just in case the water starts flowing.

And as a last resort, once this thing is above a category 3, there are no buildings in this city to withstand a category 3, a category 4 or a category 5 storm, other than the Superdome. That's where we sent people as a shelter of last resort. When that filled up, we sent them to the Convention Center. Now, you tell me what else we could have done.

S. O'BRIEN: What has Secretary Chertoff promised you? What has Donald Rumsfeld given you and promised you?

NAGIN: Look, I've gotten promises to -- I can't stand anymore promises. I don't want to hear anymore promises. I want to see stuff done. And that's why I'm so happy that the president came down here, because I think they were feeding him a line of bull also. And they were telling him things weren't as bad as it was.

He came down and saw it, and he put a general on the field. His name is General Honore. And when he hit the field, we started to see action.

And what the state was doing, I don't frigging know. But I tell you, I am pissed. It wasn't adequate.

And then, the president and the governor sat down. We were in Air Force One. I said, 'Mr. President, Madam Governor, you two have to get in sync. If you don't get in sync, more people are going to die.'

S. O'BRIEN: What date was this? When did you say that? When did you say...

NAGIN: Whenever air Force One was here.

S. O'BRIEN: OK.

NAGIN: And this was after I called him on the telephone two days earlier. And I said, 'Mr. President, Madam Governor, you two need to get together on the same page, because of the lack of coordination, people are dying in my city.'

S. O'BRIEN: That's two days ago.

NAGIN: They both shook -- I don't know the exact date. They both shook their head and said yes. I said, 'Great.' I said, 'Everybody in this room is getting ready to leave.' There was senators and his cabinet people, you name it, they were there. Generals. I said, 'Everybody right now, we're leaving. These two people need to sit in a room together and make a doggone decision right now.'

S. O'BRIEN: And was that done?

NAGIN: The president looked at me. I think he was a little surprised. He said, "No, you guys stay here. We're going to another section of the plane, and we're going to make a decision."

He called me in that office after that. And he said, "Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor." I said -- and I don't remember exactly what. There were two options. I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision.

S. O'BRIEN: You're telling me the president told you the governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision?
NAGIN: Yes.

S. O'BRIEN: Regarding what? Bringing troops in?

NAGIN: Whatever they had discussed. As far as what the -- I was abdicating a clear chain of command, so that we could get resources flowing in the right places.

S. O'BRIEN: And the governor said no.

NAGIN: She said that she needed 24 hours to make a decision. It would have been great if we could of left Air Force One, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out. It didn't happen, and more people died. (END VIDEOTAPE)

S. O'BRIEN: The mayor making it clear that much politicking was going on, even as people here were continuing to suffer. The mayor clearly thinking that the governor did way too little, way too late for her part.

We put a call into Governor Blanco's office. They declined to come on our show this morning and talk to us. Her spokesperson did say, though, that it was a -- this was a tragedy now that was being reduced to politics.

I think, though, Miles, there is certainly lots and lots and lots of blame to go around. The mayor, of course, for his part, advising elderly people to be sure to grab an ax and be able to climb out on your roof and cut your way out. Obviously, not going to be feasible. Many of the people, it is believed, who perished in the subsequent flooding were elderly.

And we've seen entire neighborhoods where the bulk of the population is elderly. No way they're going to grab an ax and stand on their fridge and cut their way out of their house, and then lift themselves up and flag down a chopper as it flies overhead. That's just not going to happen.

Today, we're seeing a lot of blame, again, going around. And I think there's enough blame for everybody to share, frankly -- Miles.

And if you still doubt the accuracy of the story, there's always a video you can download so you can watch the Mayor's lips form the actual words.

How's that for accuracy and authenticity?

Nbadan
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
No only the trashy neighbors they ultimately feared would rob them in their absence. Today they reported that many of those raped in the Superdome were babies; It appears they did so, knowing in the safety of the darkness, they wouldn't get caught. These assholes are basically Trash defined.

Unfortunately, there are predators who would take advantage of a situation like this in every section of society, not just New Orleans. It was the lawless ness in the Superdome that we should really be concentrating on. Why weren't there enough police and National Guard troops in the Superdome to protect the 30,000 evacuees from each other? Why were more bathroom facilities not put into the Superdome just in case the Stadium facilities overflowed? Why weren’t there enough food, medicine, and water stocked to last more than a couple days?

Nbadan
09-06-2005, 11:47 PM
And what the state was doing, I don't frigging know. But I tell you, I am pissed. It wasn't adequate.

I don't think anyone is completely exonerating Governor Blanco from any responsibility here. She did what she was supposed to legally CHA and that was it. Clearly, the State could have done much more. Her unwillingness to let in the Red Cross into the city of NO was just bazaar. The State could have, and should have, provided more resources to the evacuees in the Superdome and demanded more National Guard troops immediately, even active duty troops.

They knew what they were dealing with here, even with a CAT4 hurricane. Watch this Quicktime simulation (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/surge/cathedral.mov) of a CAT4 Hurricane simulation made by NOAA. Very eerie.

Suns Fan
09-06-2005, 11:54 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/mouse-Rules-1.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-07-2005, 12:03 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301653_4.html

FEMA's response time on the low side, and something that all state and local governments knew ahead of time, was 72 hours.

spurster
09-07-2005, 08:25 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301653_4.html

FEMA's response time on the low side, and something that all state and local governments knew ahead of time, was 72 hours.
A larger quote:

Other federal and state officials pointed to Louisiana's failure to measure up to national disaster response standards, noting that the federal plan advises state and local emergency managers not to expect federal aid for 72 to 96 hours, and base their own preparedness efforts on the need to be self-sufficient for at least that period. "Fundamentally the first breakdown occurred at the local level," said one state official who works with FEMA. "Did the city have the situational awareness of what was going on within its borders? The answer was no."

I guess the "city" didn't know that 80% of the city was flooded, and I guess the "city" was wasting its time rescuing people. Just another FEMA official applying their superior stupidity.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-07-2005, 08:35 AM
More like you reading too much into his quote.

spurster
09-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Another view of FEMA's "cooperation".

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/09/07/fema/

Why FEMA failed
Ideologically opposed to a strong federal role in disaster relief and obsessed with terrorism, the Bush administration let a once-admired agency fall apart.

By Farhad Manjoo

Sept. 7, 2005 | Days before Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast, the city of Chicago drew up a list of resources it was willing to make available for relief efforts in areas that might be hit by the storm. Chicago told the Federal Emergency Management Agency that in the event of disaster, it could spare more than 100 Chicago police officers, 36 Fire Department personnel, eight emergency medical experts, more than 130 staff from Chicago's Department of Public Health, 140 staff from the Department of Streets & Sanitation, dozens of trucks and two boats. These teams, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley told federal officials, could work in affected areas independently, bringing their own food, water and other supplies with them. But FEMA apparently wasn't interested. Despite the host of resources Chicago offered, and despite the televised lack of resources in New Orleans, as of late last week, FEMA had requested only one thing from Chicago -- a single tanker truck. "I was shocked," Daley said at a news conference on Friday. "We are ready to provide considerably more help than they have requested. We are just waiting for a call."

Daley wasn't the only generous donor to be rebuffed. Throughout last week, various local and state governments, corporations and nonprofit organizations across the nation attempted to help in the relief effort, only to be snubbed by federal officials -- officials who were themselves providing precious little aid to those in need. Citing security concerns, the Department of Homeland Security barred the American Red Cross from entering New Orleans with food (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05246/565143.stm). Five hundred Floridian airboaters were ready to rescue people stranded in inundated homes, but FEMA turned them down (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-caneboats0205sep02,0,5932477.story?coll=orl-home-headlines). Twenty sheriff's deputies from Loudoun County, Va., suffered a similar fate (http://www.zwire.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=15144436&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=506035&rfi=6). And Aaron Broussard, the president of Jefferson Parish, La., said on "Meet the Press" on Sunday that FEMA declined to let him accept three tanker trucks of water donated by Wal-Mart, as well as 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel stored in a Coast Guard vessel docked in his district.

Sunday's Washington Post cited an anonymous Bush administration official who explained that one reason that the federal government didn't intervene more quickly in Louisiana was because Kathleen Blanco, the state's Democratic governor, failed to declare a state of emergency there, a necessary step for federal help to flow (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301680_pf.html). An article in Newsweek repeats the same claim (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9179587/site/newsweek/).

But there's a problem with the White House's excuse: It's patently false. As Josh Marshall points out, Blanco declared a state of emergency on Aug. 26 -- a day before Bush declared a federal emergency in Louisiana (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2005_09_04.php#006415). (You can see Blanco's official declaration in PDF format here (http://gov.louisiana.gov/2005%20%20proclamations/48pro2005-Emergency-HurricaneKatrina.pdf); the Washington Post has corrected its article.) On Aug. 28 -- the day before Katrina made landfall -- Blanco followed her declaration with an official letter to Bush that requested all manner of emergency supplies her state would need for the aftermath (http://gov.louisiana.gov/Disaster%20Relief%20Request.pdf).

Haddow [George Haddow served as the deputy chief of staff at FEMA during Clinton's administration] says that these requests should have been enough -- more than enough -- to prompt a full-scale federal response. Under the Clinton administration's FEMA, with Witt as the head, a storm of Katrina's magnitude would have prompted federal and state officials to actually meet in order to coordinate their response. "You were all working together to anticipate needs," Haddow says. "You're all sitting in the same room when the things happened -- the Midwest flood, the Northridge quake, the Oklahoma City bombing and all the disasters we responded to. We were in the same room together and nobody had to point fingers."

Close coordination with state officials was key to the Clinton administration's capacity to act quickly in the heat of a disaster, Haddow says.

The Bush administration's distance from local disaster-relief officials is by design. From the moment Bush stepped into office, he's been determined to move away from the coordinated state/local/federal disaster-relief approach used by Clinton. Instead, as Joe Allbaugh, Bush's first FEMA dirctor, told a congressional panel in 2001, Bush wanted to pull the federal government out of the disaster-relief business and aimed to "restore the predominant role of state and local response to most disasters."

CharlieMac
09-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Never mind I didnt see the second page of this thread.

Hook Dem
09-07-2005, 09:29 AM
http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/mouse-Rules-1.jpg
Thats just about the truth of it!

SWC Bonfire
09-07-2005, 09:31 AM
You know, just a few years ago a bunch of the tin-foil hat crowd thought that FEMA was going to take over and run the country...

CharlieMac
09-07-2005, 09:36 AM
They knew what they were dealing with here, even with a CAT4 hurricane. Watch this Quicktime simulation (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/surge/cathedral.mov) of a CAT4 Hurricane simulation made by NOAA. Very eerie.

That's nuts.

Money316
09-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately, there are predators who would take advantage of a situation like this in every section of society, not just New Orleans. It was the lawless ness in the Superdome that we should really be concentrating on. Why weren't there enough police and National Guard troops in the Superdome to protect the 30,000 evacuees from each other? Why were more bathroom facilities not put into the Superdome just in case the Stadium facilities overflowed? Why weren’t there enough food, medicine, and water stocked to last more than a couple days?

Nbadan, another point well taken. Where was the leadership at the city and state level? Regardless of what happened afterwards, the tradegy of what happened was that a bunch of politicians let their consitutients down. Its not a democratic thing, its not a republican thing, its a holistic human failure thing. Everybody FU -- Citizens, local, state, AND federal.

Not sure what the fix is. Seems CA, NY, AL, GA, OH, FL and everybody else, less Texas, is acting like a bunch of French assholes. Here is Texas debating whether to sack up with $1B in surplus money that everyone knows could easily and wisely be spent on our schools, not to mention buying down the cost of a college education.

Anybody notice how cheap a college education is around Texas if your a resident of a surrounding state llike LA, NM, AZ, OK, AR, etc/

Not looking for a fight, just some Leadership -- other than the dumbasses present.

The Ressurrected One
09-07-2005, 02:41 PM

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
It was the lawless ness in the Superdome that we should really be concentrating on. Why weren't there enough police and National Guard troops in the Superdome to protect the 30,000 evacuees from each other?

The NG commander said that they tried to get the governor to sign off on martial law so they could police the Superdome, but she wouldn't. So the only thing they could legally do was act as security for the military doctors there helping.

Jelly
09-07-2005, 03:11 PM
The crime rate around the Houston Astrodome has increased astronomically since it was opened as a shelter.

Murders, burglaries, rapes, assaults are up.

HPD is patrolling inside and the Texas Highway Patrol have been tasked with patrolling the immediate vicinity.

What the fuck is up with New Orleaners?

I just googled and couldn't find anything on this. Where did you get this info?

Extra Stout
09-07-2005, 03:15 PM
The crime rate around the Houston Astrodome has increased astronomically since it was opened as a shelter.

Murders, burglaries, rapes, assaults are up.

HPD is patrolling inside and the Texas Highway Patrol have been tasked with patrolling the immediate vicinity.

What the fuck is up with New Orleaners?That is false. There have been 37 arrests, 36 of which were for public intoxication and disorderly conduct.

There is one sexual assault under investigation.

I've actually been surprised by the lack of crime. The worst story I've heard was of some evacuees who were ungrateful for the gravy that volunteers poured on their biscuits and scraped it off, saying that in Louisiana, they eat grits.

Extra Stout
09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
I just googled and couldn't find anything on this. Where did you get this info?Probably found it at racialstereotypes.com.

Spurminator
09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Here's an article about the current situation in Houston.

No mention of increased crime...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/special/05/katrina/3342643

Tally of evacuees in Houston shelters drops dramatically
By BECKY BOWMAN and SALATHEIA BRYANT
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle HURRICANE KATRINA

The number of Katrina evacuees counted at Houston's largest shelters is dropping dramatically as people leave for new accommodations, new jobs and new lives.

According to the latest tally, considered the most reliable to date, 8,066 hurricane victims are still stranded at the three Reliant Park shelters and the downtown George R. Brown Convention Center, down from 25,400 reported just Tuesday. It's evident at a glance that evacuees have more breathing room than they did last weekend, but it's hard to track how many people are simply switching shelters, moving in with relatives or actually finding more permanent housing. In fact, it's hard to get an accurate headcount at all.

After Reliant Park imposed a curfew for the first time last night, authorities were able to do their most accurate headcount so far. But during the day, no one stands guard at the gates to ask evacuees whether they're going out for groceries or leaving for good, so even the latest numbers are fluid. People are free to pack up and go without notifying anyone, and they do just that.

"I wouldn't say there was a large exodus in the last 24 hours," said Coast Guard Lt. Joe Leonard, who's in charge of Houston's megashelters.

Although lines are shorter and no one's fighting over cots anymore, there are still plenty of people in need of help. This morning's tally of evacuees came to 2,930 in the Astrodome, down from 16,000 on Tuesday; 1,800 in the Reliant Arena, down from 4,500; 2,000 in Reliant Center, down from 2,400; and 1,336 in the George R. Brown Convention Center, down from 2,500.

Gregory Smith of the Red Cross warned that the constantly changing numbers should be regarded as "a living thing."

"People should be prepared to be flexible with these shelter figures," he said.

The opportunities to leave are growing by the day. Airlines are offering free or discounted flights to evacuees, friends and relatives are arriving to whisk them away, and today's decision by the federal government to pass out $2,000 debit cards will pay for gasoline or bus tickets that were out of reach before.

But for some of those who've arrived from New Orleans, the prospect of venturing out into Houston is intimidating.

Eighteen-year-old Marcus Poole, a community college student who worked at a rental car agency back home in Louisiana, is finding that looking for a job is no easy task in a city so sprawling. Houston's even bigger than he remembers it as a child visiting AstroWorld.

"I feel like I'm in another country, being in a city so big," he said.

Many of those who choose to stay are still trying to connect with loved ones. Still sitting on her cot with her family today, Alisha Bush, 33, is anxious to reach her 15-year-old daughter, who was taken to shelter in Arkansas. Bush thinks she has the best chance of a reunion if she stays put.

She has been in the Astrodome since last Wednesday, when the overcrowded floor forced people to sleep in the stands.

"The lines are getting shorter and shorter," Bush said. "It is clearing out."

Wanda Payton, 44, she said she was expecting to leave tomorrow for a three-bedroom house offered by a Channelview woman.

"It has died down. They are getting people out," she said.

For those who are staying for now at least, officials have turned their attention to needs like food stamps, school registration and medical care.

Local and federal authorities are finalizing a special housing subsidy "voucher" program, good for at least six months and perhaps a year, to serve 25,000 displaced families.

Carlos Antonio Rios / Chronicle
Derek Marigny Sr. of New Orleans makes a sign expressing his gratitude for the hospitality that Houston has shown him and other evacuees. He is staying in the Reliant Astrodome and says he is waiting to hear from his wife, Darlene, who got separated from him in New Orleans.
Meanwhile, the shelters have opened job booths and the Texas Workforce Commission and Federal Emergency Management Agency were expected to send representatives there today. The federal agency could help with a variety of services, including housing and unemployment aid.

"Our focus this week is to begin the process of re-integrating our guests," said state Rep. Rick Noriega, a CenterPoint Energy official tapped by Mayor Bill White to run the facility at the convention center.

The city's shelters were originally set up to serve as a clean environment in which evacuees could sleep.

"We're seeing, obviously, that mission shifting," said Noriega, a Texas Army National Guard officer. "We're becoming a little more service-focused."

Registering for help

Some of the help is coming from volunteers with Operation Compassion, a massive relief effort led by Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston and spearheaded by the Second Baptist Church. The thousands of volunteers from 131 local congregations have assumed primary responsibility for feeding the masses of storm victims who have taken refuge here.

"It's blessing me probably more than it's blessing them," said volunteer Wanda Brock, 68, a member of Second Baptist Church who was dishing out barbecue Tuesday. "It's a real eye-opener to see how blessed you are when you see people who have lost so much."

At the convention center's job booth, evacuees picked up fliers and added their names to a 12-page list of people looking for jobs.

Potential employers can browse the list, and some companies also have posted jobs on another list.

East New Orleans resident Gabrielle Thomas, 30, who is living with 13 other evacuees in a friend's two-bedroom home in Sugar Land, came to the shelter seeking help to get her life back on track.

A job, she said, would be a first step.

"I can't go back there for a few months, and I need work," said Thomas, who worked as a clerk to a juvenile court judge. "I lost everything I had."

With forecasts that 400,000 to 500,000 people could lose their jobs because of the hurricane, the Labor Department has announced plans to spend up to $75 million in emergency assistance for evacuees who now are living in Texas.

The money would provide assistance to 37,500 evacuees by temporarily putting them to work providing food, clothing, shelter and other assistance to storm victims.

'I've been there, done that'
While so many people looked for jobs and permanent housing, plans to move as many as 4,000 evacuees to cruise ships in Galveston were put on hold. Many who had taken refuge in the Astrodome said they would rather stay in the stadium than move to the ships, officials said.
"I don't want to be on no water," said James Givens, 48, a longshoreman who is trying to find a place other than the Astrodome to live. "I've seen enough water to last me a long time."

When she heard about the offer to live on a cruise ship, Bobbie Williams, 44, rose from her cot, shaking her head emphatically.

"No, no, no, no more water," she said. "I don't want to see no more water. I've been there, done that. Not right now."

Evacuee Wallace James, 48, spent part of his day at the Social Security Administration, trying to get a check he was owed. He hopes he can use the money to move out of the Astrodome and into subsidized housing.

"If things don't work out, I'll just move on to another state," James said.

He said many Louisiana residents are trying to look forward.

"We ain't trying to talk about where we came from," he said. "We're trying to talk about where we're going."

Chronicle reporters Matt Stiles, Armando Villafranca, Jennifer Radcliffe, Monica Guzmán and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

[email protected] [email protected]

Useruser666
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Come one Spurm, the info has to be made up sometime.

The Ressurrected One
09-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I retract the statement.

In order to support it, I would have to reveal my place of employment...