PDA

View Full Version : Number 2 seed

NYspursFan
04-13-2015, 10:36 PM
It's official NBA TV said no matter who wins this game tonight Spurs are the number two seed!

Mugen
04-13-2015, 10:37 PM
It's official NBA TV said no matter who wins this game tonight Spurs are the number two seed!

That only applies to after tonight. doesn't take into account anything that can happen tomorrow or Wednesday.

ElNono
04-13-2015, 10:37 PM
That only applies to after tonight. doesn't take into account anything that can happen tomorrow or Wednesday.

admit it, you love being the party pooper... :lol

100%duncan
04-13-2015, 10:38 PM
:lol

Mugen
04-13-2015, 10:39 PM
admit it, you love being the party pooper... :lol

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Ray-Allen-Hits-Three-to-Force-OT-Game-6-NBA-Finals.gif

RD2191
04-13-2015, 10:40 PM

K...
04-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Nah, i saw it too, it's real folks.

BatManu20
04-13-2015, 10:57 PM
I was watching too and they said that it all comes down to Wednesday night for us to lock up the #2 or Pelicans to make the playoffs.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-13-2015, 10:57 PM
NBA TV is constantly getting their info messed up

Kidd K
04-13-2015, 11:00 PM
With Memphis shitting the bed tonight, we still need the Clippers to lose once more and we still can't lose any games.

Watching DEN @ LAC on league pass now. It's a very close game in the 3rd atm.

ElNono
04-13-2015, 11:01 PM
With Memphis shitting the bed tonight, we still need the Clippers to lose once more and we still can't lose any games.

why? if we win out, we're the #2 seed, no matter what happens with the Clippers or Rockets

RD2191
04-13-2015, 11:11 PM
why? if we win out, we're the #2 seed, no matter what happens with the Clippers or Rockets

Agloco
04-13-2015, 11:21 PM

SAS would be 2 and LAC 3

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-13-2015, 11:33 PM
SAS would be 2 and LAC 3

Anyone know what needs to happen for Clippers to finish 5th?

AusSpur
04-13-2015, 11:43 PM
Go Denver!

Kidd K
04-13-2015, 11:43 PM

Last time Clippers were tied with us, NBA.com had them ranked ahead of us. Was that an error? Or wait I get it now after looking at the tiebreaker priorities; it was because we beat Houston twice to take the division (barely) and we win the tie break for having the division whereas before they had it for a better conference record.

It's still nice to have them lose though I guess, just in case we drop one

Budkin
04-13-2015, 11:44 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Ray-Allen-Hits-Three-to-Force-OT-Game-6-NBA-Finals.gif

28.2 seconds left... Pop that bubbly!

Sean Cagney
04-13-2015, 11:53 PM
28.2 seconds left... Pop that bubbly!

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh........... Atleast that lead to the tear they went on in 014 but damn that shot still sucks. I am glad they avenged that.

J.T.
04-14-2015, 01:13 AM
Last time Clippers were tied with us, NBA.com had them ranked ahead of us. Was that an error? Or wait I get it now after looking at the tiebreaker priorities; it was because we beat Houston twice to take the division (barely) and we win the tie break for having the division whereas before they had it for a better conference record.

It's still nice to have them lose though I guess, just in case we drop one
Because we were also tied with Memphis, which was seeded 2nd because it was leading its division. Spurs lead the SW now, therefore they are 2nd.

therealtruth
04-14-2015, 03:18 AM
I think what they meant is the Spurs hang on to #2. The Spurs control their destiny and still need to take care of business against the Pelicans in the next game to guarantee #2.

Agloco
04-14-2015, 06:07 AM
Anyone know what needs to happen for Clippers to finish 5th?

They need to lose one. Their schedule is by far and away the softest in the West over the last 15 games

jag
04-14-2015, 06:14 AM

The feels. They all come right back.

Kidd K
04-14-2015, 06:18 AM
Looks like the Pelcans need to beat us to make the playoffs, and we need to win for the #2 seed. Gonna be a good game with two teams playing really hard for playoff spots.

james evans
04-14-2015, 06:24 AM
dammit man, i just didn't want okc making the playoffs. I hate those fuckers.

baseline bum
04-14-2015, 02:55 PM
2 seed doesn't mean shit tbh other than getting Dallas in the first round. The Clippers would still have homecourt vs the Spurs in any matchup assuming both teams win out, due to having the second tiebreaker (better conference record).

apalisoc_9
04-14-2015, 02:56 PM
2 seed doesn't mean shit tbh other than getting Dallas in the first round. The Clippers would still have homecourt vs the Spurs in any matchup assuming both teams win out, due to having the second tiebreaker (better conference record).

no...

SpursFan86
04-14-2015, 02:59 PM

No...us getting 2nd seed means we win the division, and that would give us the tiebreaker over the Clippers.

Getting 2nd seed would guarantee us HCA against every team besides Golden State and Atlanta.

baseline bum
04-14-2015, 03:00 PM
no...

Spurs are 2-2 against the Clippers, so the second tiebreaker is conference record, where the Spurs would be 33-19 and the Clippers 37-15 and so homecourt goes to LA. Division winners only matter for seeding, not homecourt.

apalisoc_9
04-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Spurs are 2-2 against the Clippers, so the second tiebreaker is conference record, where the Spurs would be 33-19 and the Clippers 37-15 and so homecourt goes to LA. Division winners only matter for seeding, not homecourt.

No.

Not in this case.

SpursFan86
04-14-2015, 03:02 PM

Source? I've never seen this mentioned anywhere before. Everything I've read points to division winner being the first tiebreaker regardless of scenario. If two teams are tied, and one of those teams has won their division, the team that won the division will get the tiebreaker.

baseline bum
04-14-2015, 03:03 PM
No...us getting 2nd seed means we win the division, and that would give us the tiebreaker over the Clippers.

Getting 2nd seed would guarantee us HCA against every team besides Golden State and Atlanta.

The division only matters for seeding.

http://www.nba.com/news/features/playoff.tiebreakers/

d. Home Court Advantage:
For purposes of home court advantage, ties will be broken pursuant to the procedures used for breaking two-team ties for playoff position.

a. Two Teams Tied
(1) Better winning percentage in games against each other
(2) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.
(4) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
(5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
(6) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents ("point differential").

baseline bum
04-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Source? I've never seen this mentioned anywhere before. Everything I've read points to division winner being the first tiebreaker regardless of scenario. If two teams are tied, and one of those teams has won their division, the team that won the division will get the tiebreaker.

If division winner was a tiebreaker for anything but seeding, the Blazers would have homecourt in the first round.

will_spurs
04-14-2015, 03:06 PM

d. Home Court Advantage

For purposes of home court advantage, ties will be broken pursuant to the procedures used for breaking two-team ties for playoff position.

a. Two Teams Tied

(1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division.

The Spurs would have HCA because they'd be division champ and the Clippers wouldn't.

baseline bum
04-14-2015, 03:07 PM
No.

Not in this case.

That doesn't make any sense that division winner isn't a tiebreaker for homecourt in the first round but would be in the second.

Cloud786
04-14-2015, 03:07 PM
The division only matters for seeding.

No Spurs would have homecourt because they win the division and the records are identical. Portland does not have homecourt because they have a WORSE record than the 5th seed. If Portland and the 5th seed had the same record, Portland would get homecourt (even if the 5th seed team beat them 4-0 in the regular season).

RD2191
04-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Tf is baseline bum on.:lol

SpursFan86
If division winner was a tiebreaker for anything but seeding, the Blazers would have homecourt in the first round.

?

They're not tied with anyone. They just get a top 4 seed because division winners are guaranteed such. If they were tied with the 5th place team, though, they would win the tiebreaker (and get HCA) since they won the division.

That link mentions nothing about division winners automatically winning tiebreakers...so I'm not sure what to say. It says the same procedures are used as the ones that determine playoff seeding, though, so that makes me inclined to say it works the same way. If a division winner is tied with a non-division winner, the division winner will always win the tiebreaker.

apalisoc_9
No Spurs would have homecourt because they win the division and the records are identical. Portland does not have homecourt because they have a WORSE record than the 5th seed. If Portland and the 5th seed had the same record, Portland would get homecourt (even if the 5th seed team beat them 4-0 in the regular season).

this

Winnipeg_Spur

Tiebreakers are only relevant when the two teams are tied. The Blazers will have a worse record than their first round opponent, so no need to resort to tiebreakers to decide HCA.

baseline bum
d. Home Court Advantage

a. Two Teams Tied

The Spurs would have HCA because they'd be division champ and the Clippers wouldn't.

What's your source? Maybe it changed since the last time NBA.com updated their site?

Robz4000
04-14-2015, 03:09 PM

Division winner gets HCA if both teams are tied. It acts as the first tiebreaker in this scenario.

will_spurs
04-14-2015, 03:09 PM
That doesn't make any sense that division winner isn't a tiebreaker for homecourt in the first round but would be in the second.

According to Wikipedia, you'd be right if it was the NBA finals, and not the 2nd round:

Home court advantage in any round does not necessarily belong to the higher-seeded team, but instead to the team with the better regular season record. If two teams with the same record meet in a round, standard tiebreaker rules are used. The rule for determining home court advantage in the NBA Finals is winning percentage, then head to head record, followed by record vs. opposite conference.

However I have a feeling you're right, and that sucks...

Mel_13
04-14-2015, 03:10 PM
What's your source? Maybe it changed since the last time NBA.com updated their site?

He's right bb, his source is nba.com, and it's been that way for years.

apalisoc_9
04-14-2015, 03:10 PM

ha?

it's been this way for a quite some time now...

The first basis of a tiebreaker is division winner then head to head..

It's that simple.

will_spurs
04-14-2015, 03:11 PM

http://stats.nba.com/playoffpicture

Current playoffs procedure.

But it doesn't explain why Portland wouldn't have HCA over the 5th seed... so I feel it's incomplete and you may be right that the "division winner" part is dropped from evaluating a tiebreaker in the case of HCA :(

Cloud786
04-14-2015, 03:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html?ls=iref:nba:gnav

d. Home Court Advantage:For purposes of home court advantage, ties will be broken pursuant to the procedures used for breaking two-team ties for playoff position.

a. Two Teams Tied
(2) Better winning percentage in games against each other.
(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
(4) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.

By rule, division winner wins the tie for both seeding and for homecourt.

Cloud786
04-14-2015, 03:14 PM

But it doesn't explain why Portland wouldn't have HCA over the 5th seed... so I feel it's incomplete and you may be right that the "division winner" part is dropped from evaluating a tiebreaker in the case of HCA :(

Portland doesn't have homecourt because their record is worse. Rule only applies when records are tied.

SpursFan86
04-14-2015, 03:15 PM

Again, Portland isn't tied with anyone. They have an outright worse record than whoever will end up getting the 5th seed. Can't have a tiebreaker if there's no tie in the first place.

will_spurs
Portland doesn't have homecourt because their record is worse. Rule only applies when records are tied.

It's true, but I'm not sure Portland would have HCA in case of a tie simply by virtue of being a division winner. Maybe.

baseline bum

Nah, you're right, the Spurs would have homecourt vs the Clippers if Spurs are #2 and LA #3. NBA.com still has their old tiebreaker rules posted.

baseline bum
04-14-2015, 03:16 PM
He's right bb, his source is nba.com, and it's been that way for years.

LOL the faggots at NBA.com still have the old rules posted

baseline bum
Glad to see I was wrong, as homecourt could help a lot against the Clippers.

Cloud786
It's true, but I'm not sure Portland would have HCA in case of a tie simply by virtue of being a division winner. Maybe.

Based on the rules, Portland would have HCA over the 5th seed if their records were identical, regardless of the season series or division records or anything like that. It would go straight to the division winner when records are tied.

will_spurs
04-14-2015, 03:18 PM

I have to say I first stumbled upon that age a couple of weeks ago when I was researching the Spurs seeding scenarios. However the "Posted Aug 25 2010" part made me think that this might not be valid any longer :)

BTW I was wondering where you got your copy/paste from a few posts ago when you listed the rules!

Mel_13
04-14-2015, 03:21 PM

I don't want to beat a dead horse because we go through this every season, but what changes are not reflected in the rules in your link.

apalisoc_9
04-14-2015, 03:23 PM
I don't want to beat a dead horse because we go through this every season, but what changes are not reflected in the rules in your link.

looks like it xhanged

His link doesn't have division winner as basis for two teams tied.

SpursFan86
04-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Just when we thought we had finally figured out all the scenarios and shit for the playoffs.. baseline bum comes in here and tries throwing everyone off :lol

Mel_13
04-14-2015, 03:25 PM
looks like it xhanged

His link doesn't have division winner as basis for two teams tied.

It does. It's number 1 under "Tiebreaker basis"

Mikeanaro
04-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Glad to see I was wrong, as homecourt could help a lot against the Clippers.
An apology would be better :lmao

baseline bum
04-14-2015, 03:50 PM
It does. It's number 1 under "Tiebreaker basis"

It's not listed in the a. Two Teams Tied section referenced for determining homecourt in section d of the link I posted. It is referenced in the same section of the new link.

will_spurs
04-14-2015, 03:54 PM
It's not listed in the a. Two Teams Tied section referenced for determining homecourt in section d of the link I posted. It is referenced in the same section of the new link.

Your link is "news", i.e. something that is subject to change (and indeed your link is just the announcement of how things would be for the 2010 playoffs). My link is static and current.

Mel_13
04-14-2015, 04:00 PM

If you read the two paragraphs directly above "Two Teams Tied", you'll see why it doesn't. The division winner tiebreaker only applies in the first section at the top for seeding the first through fourth seeds. The second section is used to determine division winners and then to break ties in seeds 5-8.

The change was made after the teams with the two best records, Spurs and Mavs, met in the WCSF in 2006. Now the teams with best two records are always seeded 1 and 2.

Big Empty
04-14-2015, 04:48 PM
If we lose against the prlicans then what

tholdren
04-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Why don't any of you fuckers know what tie means?

Arcadian
04-14-2015, 05:05 PM
:lol all this confusion...this is probably the closest western conference seeding of all time

Beaverfuzz
04-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Why don't any of you fuckers know what tie means?

Fuck you faggot. Tie goes to the runner, everyone knows that.

Malik Hairston
04-14-2015, 05:10 PM
I want that 5 seed, tbh..unfortunately, Pacers-Grizzlies is at 9:30 PM, though, so it would be impossible for the Spurs to strategically tank..

Beaverfuzz
04-14-2015, 05:11 PM
I want that 5 seed, tbh..unfortunately, Pacers-Grizzlies is at 9:30 PM, though, so it would be impossible for the Spurs to strategically tank..

My nigga, I'd rather have the 5th seed too but will take the 2nd seed.

Malik Hairston
04-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Of course I'm cool with the 2nd seed:lol..

Best alternative is if the Suns miraculously win tonight, I'd love to see the Clippers in the 5 spot..hopefully the shitty Morris Twins or Blesdoe get hot tonight..

therealtruth
04-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Looks like the Pelcans need to beat us to make the playoffs, and we need to win for the #2 seed. Gonna be a good game with two teams playing really hard for playoff spots.

Should be good practice for the playoffs. Need to be able to win on the road in the playoffs.