PDA

View Full Version : If just Manu retires how long can we remain a title contender?

Cklbmk
04-13-2015, 10:59 PM
With Parker-Green-Kawhi-Tim-Splitter lineup?

Could Tim play until 41? 3 peat?

lil'mo
04-13-2015, 11:00 PM
So gay

ElNono
04-13-2015, 11:04 PM
I think Manu is likely to come back if Timmy comes back. That said, the Spurs would need to acquire a more steady backup PG in that case, and the complexion of the bench would change.

cliff notes: we had a good run.

apalisoc_9
04-13-2015, 11:07 PM
they would be here next year IMO..Manu and TD are going to retire the same year..

next year though, I am 99% sure they will retire..Manu said that it was either this year or next year.

I don't know about TD, but he probably has the same plan...Manu and TD probably talk.

So If Manu said either this or next..I'm going to assume TD has the same plan.

100%duncan
04-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Depends who we can get for replacement

ElNono
04-13-2015, 11:09 PM
they would be here next year IMO..Manu and TD are going to retire the same year..

next year though, I am 99% sure they will retire..Manu said that it was either this year or next year.

I don't know about TD, but he probably has the same plan...Manu and TD probably talk.

So If Manu said either this or next..I'm going to assume TD has the same plan.

Somehow I think it will largely depend on how this run goes, tbh.. that's why it's probably a bit premature to guess...

jdelar03
04-13-2015, 11:21 PM
This team aint hanging or dying by anyone. The hopes are that the Spurs can continue to evolve ahead of everyone else and stay competitive.

apalisoc_9
04-13-2015, 11:24 PM
Somehow I think it will largely depend on how this run goes, tbh.. that's why it's probably a bit premature to guess...

I agree, but both guys are still playing their respective roles at a very high level.. Why retire now?

I think an conference finals will make them return for sure...maybe if the spurs lose in the 1st round..I don't see it though.

100%duncan
04-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Do you think a wcf exit will make them come back rather than a 6th ring? They could possibly just say fuck it and retire on top.

ducks
04-14-2015, 12:05 AM
Boris will not be able to coast if manu retires
Spurs can ran their o thru Diaw with bench if manu retires

tim_duncan_fan
04-14-2015, 12:13 AM
I want Tim and Manu to ring one last time and gtfo, tbh. lol

I want them to go out on a championship. If we win again, they have to take the opportunity to exit as champions like D-Rob did.

Splits
04-14-2015, 12:28 AM
There's zero point in retiring if you're playing at the level Manu & Tim are playing at.

Till the wheels fall off.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-14-2015, 01:40 AM
There's zero point in retiring if you're playing at the level Manu & Tim are playing at.

This. I think they'll both get 2 year deals, with player options after the first.

BillMc
04-14-2015, 01:44 AM

This. I think they'll both get 2 year deals, with player options after the first.

Hope its true.

Silver&Black
04-14-2015, 01:44 AM

therealtruth
04-14-2015, 03:21 AM
They need to find the next Manu. I thought Nando was the guy but they traded him.

SpurAddict561
04-14-2015, 06:30 AM
They need to find the next Manu. I thought Nando was the guy but they traded him.

The Spurs, and the NBA for that matter, have been looking for this elusive "next Manu" for 15 years now. There will never be another Manu...

It's hard just to find guys that will play the whole game at 90%, let alone 110% like Manu does EVERY NIGHT. He's a true warrior and will be incredibly missed.

barakz21
04-14-2015, 06:39 AM
At this point, another ring would just be gravy for their respective careers tbh. I prefer they come back the next season to surpass the celtics' big 3 in wins. As a fan, there's not much more they need to prefer. Personally, the reason I'm hoping for that to happen is so they can add to their legends, and that's a very selfish reason, I know.

Mel_13
04-14-2015, 06:52 AM

Did you intend to imply that Nando would have become another Manu if only he had not been traded? Because that would be absurd. Nando was a borderline NBA player, we're not going to see another Manu.

SASdynasty!
04-14-2015, 06:57 AM

kaji157
04-14-2015, 08:18 AM
The problem with finding someone as good a spark as Manu is that you have to find a player that could take over a game, but instead prefers to play off the bench and move the ball so others feel more comfortable in the team. That is very rare. So the problem isnīt really talent wise. Out there are a bunch of players with near manu like capabilities, the problem is most of them would play for themselves and not for the team.

Dex
04-14-2015, 08:45 AM
I think Manu is likely to come back if Timmy comes back. That said, the Spurs would need to acquire a more steady backup PG in that case, and the complexion of the bench would change.

cliff notes: we had a good run.

I dunno...Manu's made a lot of quotes recently about how he is hurting, how it's taking his body longer to catch up, etc...it makes me wonder if he is really up for the grind for another year or two. He can still play at a high level...but his body isn't taking it as well as Tim's has.

As things stand as of right now...I expect Tim to return, Manu to retire.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-14-2015, 08:51 AM
I dunno...Manu's made a lot of quotes recently about how he is hurting, how it's taking his body longer to catch up, etc...it makes me wonder if he is really up for the grind for another year or two. He can still play at a high level...but his body isn't taking it as well as Tim's has.

True, but I think Manu enjoys playing basketball and being with this particular team too much to retire, barring injuries. Tim looks like he could physically handle another 3 or 4 years, it's incredible how he's taken care of his body. Pop also plays a huge role in extending their careers by a couple of seasons at least.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 08:53 AM
This is a dumb thread. Manu is one of Spurs greatest all time but at this point, I don't' think him leaving affects the Spurs success much. It would be nice to have him to help the younger group but on the court, I think they are past needing him. Spurs short term success rests on TD being able to play at a high level. If he leaves, they're still a playoff team and maybe even a top team but would need to figure some things out to content. Nothing wrong with a Leonard, Green, and Splitter core IMO. Assuming Splitter can ever hold up.

hater
04-14-2015, 08:58 AM
You could replace him with Jeremh Lin and wed still get 55 wins imo

Dex
04-14-2015, 08:59 AM

Ah yes, Jewish basketball phenom Jeremh Lin...the ol' Semetic Slasher.

hater
04-14-2015, 09:03 AM
To be fair wed miss his 2 or 3 minutes a game of brilliance in the playoffs. Wed probably need to find someone a notch higher over Lin. Maybe Beno can come back?

hater
04-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Ah yes, Jewish basketball phenom Jeremh Lin...the ol' Semetic Slasher.

:lol

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 09:08 AM

You mean Jeremy Rin.

ElNono
04-14-2015, 12:49 PM

True about the hurting, and that's why it's not a sure thing. But he also mentioned he might play next year. A lot of those hurting comments came when he was explaining why he won't play for the NT. I think he knows Pop will take care of him and rest him when necessary, where he would have a much bigger responsibility with the NT. He also mentioned he wants to spend his vacation time with his kids over the summer.

So, I think if the Spurs want him back, this season ends on a good note, and Tim comes back too, he'll probably be here for another year. But it's not a sure thing, so better enjoy him while he's still out there.

dbreiden83080
04-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Manu may play 1 more year..

I fully believe this is Tim's final season no matter what happens in the playoffs. I don't see him playing at 40. I think he looked at this year as the last chance to repeat which is the only thing he never did in his career..

Horry Hipcheck
04-14-2015, 01:04 PM

I fully believe this is Tim's final season no matter what happens in the playoffs. I don't see him playing at 40. I think he looked at this year as the last chance to repeat which is the only thing he never did in his career..

I wouldn't be shocked if Tim calls it quits after this season, ring or no ring, but I also have a feeling he's got one more in him. He's looked and played great this year, and Manu hasn't looked any worse than he has on average since peaking in 2005. Anything can happen, but I think they give it one more go while Pop cultivates the new team dynamic around a central 3 of Kawhi, Tony, and Tiago.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-15-2015, 02:32 AM
True about the hurting, and that's why it's not a sure thing. But he also mentioned he might play next year. A lot of those hurting comments came when he was explaining why he won't play for the NT. I think he knows Pop will take care of him and rest him when necessary, where he would have a much bigger responsibility with the NT. He also mentioned he wants to spend his vacation time with his kids over the summer.

So, I think if the Spurs want him back, this season ends on a good note, and Tim comes back too, he'll probably be here for another year. But it's not a sure thing, so better enjoy him while he's still out there.

Pretty sure he would have opted to play for the NT if he was planning to retire - just have one more run with them. To me, his decision to rest in the summer is a damn sure sign he plans to play next season.

emanueldavidginobili
04-15-2015, 02:51 AM

If Tim hangs it up after this season Manu will too.