PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 09:17 AM
His contract is up after next season. Can't replace Pop by any means but he would be the next best thing IMO. Would be interesting to see what he could do with a consistent roster. Anyone think this is in the mind of Spurs FO?

FromWayDowntown
04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
The Spurs have a coach who is under contract for the next several seasons.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 09:29 AM
The Spurs have a coach who is under contract for the next several seasons.

Not saying that I want Pop gone by any means but hasn't he alluded to being done at some point soon? Obviously any change would be with his blessing and on his terms.

FromWayDowntown
04-14-2015, 09:36 AM
Not saying that I want Pop gone by any means but hasn't he alluded to being done at some point soon? Obviously any change would be with his blessing and on his terms.

He just signed a 5-year deal last summer. He's only completing the 1st year of that deal. You're right -- he'll get to go when he decides it's time to go. He's said that he likely won't coach all 5 years of his deal, but it would be surprising if he only coached 2 years of that deal.

In any event, the point is almost certainly moot, since Cuban is highly unlikely to let go of his best asset going forward.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 09:44 AM
He just signed a 5-year deal last summer. He's only completing the 1st year of that deal. You're right -- he'll get to go when he decides it's time to go. He's said that he likely won't coach all 5 years of his deal, but it would be surprising if he only coached 2 years of that deal.

In any event, the point is almost certainly moot, since Cuban is highly unlikely to let go of his best asset going forward.

If Pop is thinking about quitting coaching (at some point) but staying on as GM, he would surely see the value of getting someone like Carlisle. Not sure what Cuban could do other than throw a ton of money at him in that last year. And the Mavs will probably still be where they are today if not worse.

Anyway...just some hypothetical stuff.

FromWayDowntown
04-14-2015, 09:48 AM
An underrated hard part of Pop's inevitable retirement, if the team is still in the title mix when he leaves, is that it can be really difficult to be the guy who has to replace a legend when the expectations for the club are high. Probably easier to do that in SA than in a lot of larger markets, but if Pop leaves on a high note, the expectations that will be placed on a successor might steer some high-quality candidates away.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 09:55 AM
An underrated hard part of Pop's inevitable retirement, if the team is still in the title mix when he leaves, is that it can be really difficult to be the guy who has to replace a legend when the expectations for the club are high. Probably easier to do that in SA than in a lot of larger markets, but if Pop leaves on a high note, the expectations that will be placed on a successor might steer some high-quality candidates away.

It's a good point and I think would be all the more reason to make a run at someone like Carlisle. It's impossible to know for sure but he seems like the type that would take on that kind of challenge and not panic if things didn't go right from the beginning. The Spurs FO would most likely give him a pretty long rope and I doubt there would be much complaining by fans for at least a few years.

As you said, there might not be that many candidates that want the job. Even less that would be qualified to really take it.

The Reckoning
04-14-2015, 09:59 AM
ctoa is a troll tbh. got compliments in the club on his trolling so now he's bringing it upstairs.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 10:06 AM
ctoa is a troll tbh. got compliments in the club on his trolling so now he's bringing it upstairs.

not trolling tbh. I don't do that in Spurs Forum. Especially not this time of year. I mean other than the obvious wallpaper threads which are all in good fun.

Carlisle is the number 2 coach in the league. I can't think of anyone else right now that would even be a close as a good fit for the Spurs in the future. The timing with both coaches contracts seems fairly serendipitous given that Pop probably won't go all 5 of his.

weebo
04-14-2015, 10:08 AM
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/VLwJbUYmnIqPb9LYqBKXjA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://globalfinance.zenfs.com/en_us/Finance/US_AFTP_SILICONALLEY_H_LIVE/Greg_Popovich_Explains_Why_Becky-fad98c085d07b142b1feb588f86c43d8

Let's not kid ourselves. Becky is just waiting for Pop to keel over.

AFBlue
04-14-2015, 10:10 AM
I think they'd give Messina shot, based on the makeup of the team at the time of Pop's retirement. Also, I agree Carlisle will be retained by the Mavs at most any cost.

peacemaker885
04-14-2015, 10:14 AM
I don't think Carlisle will be going anywhere. He's the only one keeping the Mavs together.

RD2191
04-14-2015, 10:15 AM
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/VLwJbUYmnIqPb9LYqBKXjA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://globalfinance.zenfs.com/en_us/Finance/US_AFTP_SILICONALLEY_H_LIVE/Greg_Popovich_Explains_Why_Becky-fad98c085d07b142b1feb588f86c43d8

Let's not kid ourselves. Becky is just waiting for Pop to keel over.
fuck, I wanna do bad things to becky.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 10:18 AM
I don't think Carlisle will be going anywhere. He's the only one keeping the Mavs together.

He's got to be frustrated on some level about the revolving door of players. Especially letting the championship team fall apart and letting Chandler go with no gain.

will_spurs
04-14-2015, 10:22 AM
The Spurs next coach is either Messina, or Bud if he comes back.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 10:28 AM
You guys are a bunch of buzz kills. You can expect to see this thread in about a year when Carlisle is being rumored for the Spurs head coaching job. If not by the media, at least by me.

ironman2886
04-14-2015, 10:33 AM
This.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 10:34 AM

This.

I do not get this at all.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lVMw2bbYsaA/T-cWFxL2PGI/AAAAAAAAKv8/liLkowtFR7Y/s1600/Becky+Hammon+new+pic+2012+11.jpg

ironman2886
04-14-2015, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=cantthinkofanything;7928665]I do not get this at all.

Do not get what?

RD2191
04-14-2015, 10:39 AM
I do not get this at all.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lVMw2bbYsaA/T-cWFxL2PGI/AAAAAAAAKv8/liLkowtFR7Y/s1600/Becky+Hammon+new+pic+2012+11.jpg
sigh.....unzips

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=cantthinkofanything;7928665]I do not get this at all.

Do not get what?

sigh.....unzips

ya'lls fantasy about having sex with a "good looking for a woman basketball player/coach " woman basketball player/coach.

SpurAddict561
04-14-2015, 11:36 AM
I'd love to respect the shit out of her in a bedroom setting.

The Reckoning
04-14-2015, 11:39 AM
not trolling tbh. I don't do that in Spurs Forum. Especially not this time of year. I mean other than the obvious wallpaper threads which are all in good fun.

Carlisle is the number 2 coach in the league. I can't think of anyone else right now that would even be a close as a good fit for the Spurs in the future. The timing with both coaches contracts seems fairly serendipitous given that Pop probably won't go all 5 of his.

Bud coming back to coach is a more likely scenario

RD2191
04-14-2015, 11:46 AM
I'd love to respect the shit out of her in a bedroom setting.
:lol

Horry Hipcheck
04-14-2015, 12:20 PM
His contract is up after next season. Can't replace Pop by any means but he would be the next best thing IMO. Would be interesting to see what he could do with a consistent roster. Anyone think this is in the mind of Spurs FO?

Cuban will pay Carlisle out the ass for the foreseeable future, as coaching is not the Mavs problem. Pop always said he'd leave when Timmy left, but he's under contract for a few more years and I don't know that Pop would force the franchise into a buyout situation with his premature departure. Pop is also the President of Basketball Operations, and might very well retain that position when he eventually leaves, at least to smoothen the transition into a new coaching era.

I have only my speculation and instinct to go off of, but Pop being under contract + I'd be genuinely shocked to see Cuban let Carlisle go even as the Mavs slip further into a rebuilding period = not going to happen.

To answer your entirely hypothetical question, though, yes I think Carlisle would be a solid fit in the existing system.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Bud coming back to coach is a more likely scenario

Wouldn't be bad.

Does anyone see Manu on the bench in an assistant coaching capacity?

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 12:26 PM
Cuban will pay Carlisle out the ass for the foreseeable future, as coaching is not the Mavs problem. Pop always said he'd leave when Timmy left, but he's under contract for a few more years and I don't know that Pop would force the franchise into a buyout situation with his premature departure. Pop is also the President of Basketball Operations, and might very well retain that position when he eventually leaves, at least to smoothen the transition into a new coaching era.

I have only my speculation and instinct to go off of, but Pop being under contract + I'd be genuinely shocked to see Cuban let Carlisle go even as the Mavs slip further into a rebuilding period = not going to happen.

To answer your entirely hypothetical question, though, yes I think Carlisle would be a solid fit in the existing system.

Other than money, why would he want to stay in Dallas? He might make less somewhere else, but he'll get paid plenty wherever he goes. Mavs have done a terrible job in planning for a future without Dirk.

Leetonidas
04-14-2015, 12:28 PM
:cry it was nice knowing you guys :cry

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 12:29 PM
:cry it was nice knowing you guys :cry

wtf. are you dieded?

Leetonidas
04-14-2015, 12:30 PM
No but if Slomo sees this thread these nigs are gonna get dat ban hammer for a week

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 12:32 PM
No but if Slomo sees this thread these nigs are gonna get dat ban hammer for a week

ah...the don't besmirch Becky rule.

A week without Robdiaz. I guess that would be OK. :lol

RD2191
04-14-2015, 12:32 PM
:wakeup

Horry Hipcheck
04-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Other than money, why would he want to stay in Dallas? He might make less somewhere else, but he'll get paid plenty wherever he goes. Mavs have done a terrible job in planning for a future without Dirk.

I don't know. I agree, the Mavs don't seem to have a post-Dirk plan in place, and that doesn't bode well for their contender status over the next few years. I don't know that there are going to be many positions open after next year where Carlisle would be put in charge of a system that gives him something to build with. A lot of coaching hot seats are with revolving door teams that rely on the lottery to pick up players, spend a few years letting them run the show and missing the playoffs, then either finally draft enough of a supporting cast for a few seasons of relevance or put the developed draft picks on the trading block for another pick or a bigger star. Maybe that appeals to Carlisle enough to draw him away, but my money's on him staying in Dallas a while longer. Could be wrong, though.

minuzzo21
04-14-2015, 12:34 PM
I'd love to see Messina because I'm italian and I know he is a great coach.

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 12:52 PM
I don't know. I agree, the Mavs don't seem to have a post-Dirk plan in place, and that doesn't bode well for their contender status over the next few years. I don't know that there are going to be many positions open after next year where Carlisle would be put in charge of a system that gives him something to build with. A lot of coaching hot seats are with revolving door teams that rely on the lottery to pick up players, spend a few years letting them run the show and missing the playoffs, then either finally draft enough of a supporting cast for a few seasons of relevance or put the developed draft picks on the trading block for another pick or a bigger star. Maybe that appeals to Carlisle enough to draw him away, but my money's on him staying in Dallas a while longer. Could be wrong, though.

There really aren't that many compelling places for him to go as you said. If he stays in Dallas, I guess they might get bad enough to drop into the lottery and start over. But as to building a team, even though Cuban has been willing to throw money at players (except Chandler), it seems that the strategy there is just keep trying new things and see if something sticks. A point could be made that Carlisle has hurt their long term success by keeping them out of the lottery. I'm trying to think of any recent long term coaches that have stuck around through something similar in having to rebuild around a core player every single year. I think most teams have at least one other consistent core player.

PingPong
04-14-2015, 01:51 PM
The next Spurs head coach will be... Manu Ginobili! He will retire, start as an assistant coach at the Spurs and will be the Spurs head coach in 2020.

:D

DJR210
04-14-2015, 01:56 PM

:lol his alt complimented him

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2015, 01:58 PM
:lol his alt complimented him

you're full of it. my only alt can't start threads. don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Vic Petro
04-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Pop has already been quoted as saying there's basically no way he sticks around for the life of that five year contract. I'd bet heavily on Messina.

Old School 44
04-14-2015, 02:10 PM
When Pop retires, TD and Manu will take over as player coaches.

bigfan
04-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Pop will be around for a few more years. Carlisle is the best thing about the Mavs and even though Cuban is a horses ass he isnt stupid enough to let Carlisle go anywhere.

K...
04-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Thank god Avery is under contract. It'll be boylen obviously since he has seniority over messina. Ayres will be promoted to lead scorer (shot attempts).kawhi will be forgotten at some foreign airport.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2015, 03:02 AM
Carlisle is the best thing about the Mavs and even though Cuban is a horses ass he isnt stupid enough to let Carlisle go anywhere.

Certainly agree with the first two parts of that. I've thought Cuban wasn't too stupid for things in the past, though.

Sigz
04-15-2015, 08:35 AM
I love me some Becky. Mah gurl.

Fireball
04-15-2015, 08:38 AM
It'll be boylen obviously since he has seniority over messina.

What?

Chinook
04-15-2015, 09:17 AM
Better not be Messina. Still thinking it'll be Udoka.

hater
04-15-2015, 09:23 AM
:lmao our coaching assistants.

Mrs bubblegum, Italian scrub, the African fella and the token white guy :lol

If Pop retires RC is hiring someone from outside :lol

cantthinkofanything
04-15-2015, 09:40 AM
:lmao our coaching assistants.

Mrs bubblegum, Italian scrub, the African fella and the token white guy :lol

If Pop retires RC is hiring someone from outside :lol

RC to hire RC.

BOHOLANO#21
04-15-2015, 12:02 PM
What the fuck is this thread for? Idiot TS...

cantthinkofanything
04-15-2015, 12:55 PM
What the fuck is this thread for? Idiot TS...

GNSF not understanding a thread titled, "Rick Carlisle" which was about...Rick Carlisle.

cantthinkofanything
04-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Maybe not coming to SA but I don't think there is any way Carlisle stays in Dallas.

From post game last night, "we need to own better". Saying what's really on his mind.

He didn't want Rondo from the get go.

TheGoldStandard
04-22-2015, 09:18 AM
I think Carlisle and Cuban will have a sit down this off season and they'll hammer it out. Cuban knows better than to let Carlisle slip away. Rondo was a huge mistake but they'll move on.

Now the most intriguing situation would be if Monty Williams was fired and Pelicans gave Carlisle a call.

cantthinkofanything
04-22-2015, 10:00 AM
I think Carlisle and Cuban will have a sit down this off season and they'll hammer it out. Cuban knows better than to let Carlisle slip away. Rondo was a huge mistake but they'll move on.

Now the most intriguing situation would be if Monty Williams was fired and Pelicans gave Carlisle a call.

I just can't seem him staying in Dallas. Unless they can find a true building block next season. Pelicans would be a great fit for him to put together a team around Davis. Although I don't know much about their ownership and how much decision making they would let him do.

I still think he'd be great with the Spurs as FO has been great about finding quaility players who for the most part are charater guys.

I may be wrong but Carlisle doesn't strike me as the kind of coach who will just go to a big market to coach superstars. Seems like really likes the process of actually coaching players who want to be coached.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-22-2015, 10:07 AM
I just can't seem him staying in Dallas. Unless they can find a true building block next season. Pelicans would be a great fit for him to put together a team around Davis. Although I don't know much about their ownership and how much decision making they would let him do.

I still think he'd be great with the Spurs as FO has been great about finding quaility players who for the most part are charater guys.

I may be wrong but Carlisle doesn't strike me as the kind of coach who will just go to a big market to coach superstars. Seems like really likes the process of actually coaching players who want to be coached.
moneytalks

weeks
04-22-2015, 10:07 AM
I love Rick, and I don't really care where he goes, I just hope it's not to a contender.
Can you imagine OKC with Rick at the helm and healthy Durant/WB? May all the saints preserve us.