PDA

View Full Version : Giants wait to hear whether Bonds will get in a game

Horry For 3!
09-06-2005, 05:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-giants-bonds&prov=ap&type=lgns

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Barry Bonds took swings with the San Francisco Giants, who were hopeful the slugger's next move would be an appearance in the lineup for the first time this season.

Bonds took batting practice and tested his throwing arm Monday before the Giants defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers 3-1 for their sixth straight victory.

``I feel good,'' he said. ``I want to be out there with those guys.''

Depending on an evaluation Tuesday, he could work out again and possibly be activated.

``We'll see what happens in the next couple of days,'' Giants manager Felipe Alou said Monday night.

Before the game, Bonds said he didn't know when he would return. He is recovering from three operations on his right knee since Jan. 31.

``It's day-by-day right now, get through today and see how I turn out,'' he said.

The 41-year-old slugger took 17 swings and hit five balls over the fence during his turn in the batting cage.

``I did pretty well,'' he said. ``When I get back on the field, I want to be playing where I left off.''

Bonds has been in Los Angeles for two months rehabbing his knee and practicing his hitting.

If he does return, initially he could be used as a pinch-hitter.

``There may be a certain role that I might have to deal with and stuff, which is fine with me,'' he said.

Bonds' defense in left field and baserunning ability have yet to be tested.

He acknowledged that drawing his usual number of walks would take a toll. He was walked a major league-record 232 times last season on the way to his record seventh NL MVP award.

``When you're on that base a lot, it takes a lot out of your body,'' he said. ``That would be a huge, huge test for me. That's the thing I have to think about because that would be real, real hard if that situation came up.''

Bonds has 703 homers, third on the career list behind Hank Aaron (755) and Babe Ruth (714).

He went through an individual workout on the field before any of his teammates emerged for pregame warmups. He threw long toss, jogged, and did cutting drills under the watchful eye of physical therapist Clive Brewster.

``My mind changes as each day goes by,'' Bonds said about a comeback. ``There's a lot of times that I'll come in and say, `I need a day off,' and 10 minutes later I change my mind.

``I may wake up and I'm so sore I feel like I can't do it and by two hours later, I feel great and I do it. I've been doing that for years.''

Bonds appeared to be in good spirits, laughing and chatting about a Labor Day weekend barbecue he had hosted at his Beverly Hills home.

``It's great to be out on the field, it's great to smell the grass and be in my uniform again and just being around the guys, it's a great feeling all the way around,'' he said.

Bonds believes he can still be an everyday player, but said there might be days he would sit out.

``It has nothing to do with my leg, it would be because I'm just too damn old to do it,'' he said, laughing.

The Giants have made a late surge in the NL West. They were in second place Monday night, five games behind the idle San Diego Padres.

Bonds said he's motivated by the game itself and not the standings.

``I've been able to beat the odds before and I'm going to do it again,'' he said. ``I feel I have a lot of game left.''

Horry For 3!
09-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Barry Bonds was activated today and could play today. If not Wednesday.