PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com: Blogtable: Spurs or Warriors out West?

NASpurs
04-15-2015, 12:06 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/04/15/blogtable-spurs-or-warriors-out-west/

> The defending champs are red-hot and can lock up the No. 2 seed in the West with a victory tonight at New Orleans. So who’s a better bet to win the West: the Spurs or the Warriors?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/tag/steve-aschburner/): I vowed not to count out San Antonio a couple of years ago (or was it back in 2007?). The Spurs know what they’re facing at this time of year, they’ve been there/done this and coach Gregg Popovich has his team rested, prepared and peaking. Two months is a long time to maintain a peak but — aside from the level of competition now — the schedule becomes more geezer-friendly. Golden State has been great fun and I’d welcome watching them for four rounds, but if I have to “bet,” give me the Spurs.

Fran Blinebury, NBA.com (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/tag/fran-blinebury/): It’s certainly hard to pick against the team that’s been the best in the league since opening night. But the one thing the Spurs have never done during that long run is win back-to-back. Now that they are healthy, in rhythm and playing at the top of their game, I’m sticking with the defending champs in what should be a very tasty Western Conference finals.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/tag/scott-howard-cooper/): The Warriors. Spurs fans shouldn’t whine the choice into “We’re being overlooked again.” San Antonio was my pick at the start of the season to win the West (and lose to Chicago in The Finals.) No one should be surprised that San Antonio is peaking for the playoffs. I just think Golden State has proven it is the best team in the conference. The Dubs win win offense, win with defense, have chemistry and a great home court.

Shaun Powell, NBA.com (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/tag/shaun-powell/): Right now, I like everything about the defending-champion Spurs. They’re surging at the right time, they’re healthy, their role players are dripping confidence and Kawhi Leonard is reborn. Did I leave anything out? Oh, yeah: Tim Duncan and Pop, both championship-tested and approved, are anxious to go back-to-back. The Warriors must navigate through places they’ve never been in the post-season, and I need to see them make it through San Antonio without sprouting a nervous tic.

John Schuhmann, NBA.com (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/tag/john-schuhmann/): Golden State. What the Spurs did in last year’s Finals was an incredible display, and they’re heading back toward that level with how they’ve played over the last month. But it’s impossible to ignore that the Warriors have been, by far, the best team in the league all season. They rank No. 1 on defense, No. 2 on offense, and have a point differential (plus-11.4 per 100 possessions) that’s only been topped by three teams — the ’96 Bulls, the ’97 Bulls and the ’08 Celtics – over the last 38 years. No team played the Warriors better than the Spurs in the regular season, but I like the way that Golden State matches up, especially with the ability to shorten their rotation and get Andrew Bogut on the floor more than they did in the regular season.

Sekou Smith, NBA.com (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/tag/sekou-smith/): The Spurs have the championship components and experience, so they are the safest best in this scenario, even with all that the Warriors have done this season. Golden State has everything you would ever want from a championship team expect the experience that usually comes with repeated forays deep into the postseason before a breakthrough. They are not a Big 3-era team in that they were created basically overnight. Teams that are grown the way the Warriors have been usually require at least a stumble in the conference finals or The Finals before they learn how to get over the mental and emotional hurdle that leads to a title. There are no other teams, as of this moment, that inspire championship visions for me.

Ian Thomsen, NBA.com (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/tag/ian-thomsen/): Everyone in the West should view the Spurs as favorites. Golden State has been superior overall this regular season, but the Spurs have been hotter down the stretch and are one missed free throw away from pursuing a third straight championship. The best hope for the Warriors is to view themselves as underdogs in a potential conference final against San Antonio – instead of protecting the No. 1 seed, they should attack as if they have nothing to lose. Because the champs have everything that the Warriors want.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com’s All Ball blog (http://allball.blogs.nba.com/): I would love to pick the Warriors, because I feel like everyone has sort of overlooked the Warriors and Hawks because of the way they’ve been able to cost for the last month or so. For instance, now Cleveland seems to be the consensus choice to win the Eastern Conference, even though the Hawks have handled the Cavs pretty well this season. In the West, the zombie Spurs have emerged from the grave and appear to be marching forth, unabated. Normally, I’d side with the Warriors here, with the logic being that they’ve earned the respect over the last 80-odd games. But then, these are the Spurs, the team that reached basketball nirvana in The Finals last year (http://www.nba.com/playoffs/2014). And just like in the movies, until the zombie is completely snuffed out, I’m not turning my back on them.

will_spurs
04-15-2015, 12:10 PM
http://i0.wp.com/www.sheridanhoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screen-Shot-2014-05-16-at-6.35.32-PM.png?resize=606%2C339

apalisoc_9
04-15-2015, 12:11 PM
yeah spurs are favourites right now.

SpursFan86
04-15-2015, 12:14 PM

Still think GS is favored over SA...especially since they have HCA. I'm fairly confident we can beat them in the series, but they should be the favorites.

RD2191
04-15-2015, 12:26 PM

Still think GS is favored over SA...especially since they have HCA. I'm fairly confident we can beat them in the series, but they should be the favorites.
No way. I'll stop posting if the Warriors beat SA in the playoffs.

Spurs da champs
04-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Yeah, Warriors have been great no doubt, but they've yet to prove they can get through the Spurs.

hater
04-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Ppl fail to see they have serious mismatch problems vs spurs.

If all cylinders on Spurs are clicking the mismatch could resemble Warriors vs Mavs in 2007 imo

hater
04-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Coincidentally that 2007 Mavs team had 67 wins :lol

wildchild
04-15-2015, 01:08 PM
The Spurs won the WCF when they were the favorite in the conference and when they not.

We're going to have a tough series, the Warriors are a better team than last years, but the Spurs can contain their offensive power...Spurs in 6.

TampaDude
04-15-2015, 01:39 PM
I think Spurs-Warriors is the most likely WCF matchup at this point, and that will be the real championship series, too. Either the Spurs or the Warriors would smash the East champ in the Finals.

Seventyniner
04-15-2015, 01:42 PM

Win/win situation. :toast

RD2191
04-15-2015, 01:42 PM
:wakeup

weebo
04-15-2015, 02:16 PM
I'd be more worried with a team like OKC if they had all they're players healthy for the PO's. I just think the Spurs have a harder time matching up with a team like that than a team that features a stephanie curry and klay thomspon.

will_spurs
04-15-2015, 02:28 PM

Headshot.

Cry Havoc
04-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: The Warriors. Spurs fans shouldn’t whine the choice into “We’re being overlooked again.” San Antonio was my pick at the start of the season to win the West (and lose to Chicago in The Finals.)

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

unleashbaynes
04-15-2015, 02:53 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

:lmao i read that too, what a retard.

Malik Hairston
04-15-2015, 02:54 PM
People that compare the Warriors to the 2007 Mavs are fucking stupid, tbh:lol..

Anyways, the Warriors should be favored, history is on their side, and more importantly, they will have an extremely easy bracket, while the Spurs will have a tough series vs. the Clippers in the 2nd round, or even worse, could be the 6 seed..

Spurs also have the huge question mark of Splitter's injury, of course..

look_at_g_shred
04-15-2015, 03:07 PM
CROFL :lol :lmao

04-15-2015, 03:14 PM
A lot of Spurs fans seem to be burying their heads in the sand and in denial about the Warriors' achievements. What the Warriors have accomplished is nothing short of remarkable.

They have a +/- margin of over 10 points (which many Spurs fans love to point out in the past seasons and indications of Spurs still being a great team), someone already pointed out 6 out of the 7 teams who have achieved this went on to win the NBA finals
Won 66 or 67 games, 14 out of 17 teams who have won 65 or more games went on to win the NBA finals
Have a 10 game lead over the next closest WC rival in the most competitive WC in recent memory
Rank in the top 3 in offensive and defensive efficiency
Have 2 players that can start dropping 40 points in 30 minutes, one of whom will be crowned MVP, and have another player who will be DPOY
Are 38-2 at home

To pretend the Warriors (have HCA throughout the playoffs) won't be the favorites against any team, including the Spurs, is ridiculous.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2015, 03:14 PM

Anyways, the Warriors should be favored, history is on their side, and more importantly, they will have an extremely easy bracket, while the Spurs will have a tough series vs. the Clippers in the 2nd round, or even worse, could be the 6 seed..

Agree. Doesn't seem all that insane to pick the team that has been consistently healthy and consistently great on both sides of the ball all year long. The only real downside for the Warriors is that they might have been coasting for a while. They'll certainly have everything clicking by the conference finals.

The 2007 Mavs really had one weakness, and that was the Warriors. If they'd had any other first-round matchup, they'd have probably won the title.

Brazil
04-15-2015, 03:18 PM
GSW should be the favorites, they put together an historical RS in a tough west... and will have easy path to WCF

BUT...

http://i0.wp.com/www.sheridanhoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screen-Shot-2014-05-16-at-6.35.32-PM.png?resize=606%2C339

my head says GSW my guts say Spurs in 6

wildbill2u
04-15-2015, 03:24 PM
On paper, the starting matchups favor the Warriors, but It depends on how we are playing Spurs ball--and the health of our players---if we get to the WCF. Then, if we go there and steal a game on their home court, the inexperience of the Warriors under pressure should begin to show.

barbacoataco
04-15-2015, 03:28 PM
If you put a hand in Curry's face every time he is ultimately just a guy shooting contested 3's. But they have a lot of talent all over and a good home court.

04-15-2015, 03:37 PM

baseline bum
04-15-2015, 03:42 PM
No way the Spurs should be considered favorites over Golden State without homecourt and with what Splitter will be able to give being an enormous question mark. I'd be shocked to see the Spurs win a title starting Aron Baynes.

hater
04-15-2015, 03:51 PM
:lol ppl who think I compared gsw to the 07 Mavs are fucking illiterate.

I compared the mismatch situation between 07 Mavs and 07 gsw. Similar mismatch situation between the 11 spurs and 11 grizz. Imo

Hopefully both teams will meet healthy in the playoffs

Seventyniner
04-15-2015, 03:52 PM
The Warriors should be favored over the Spurs, but I see it as more 60/40 or 65/35 than 80/20 or 85/15.

thiste
04-15-2015, 03:53 PM
At the end of the day, I'm confident in my Spurs but I really can't blame anyone for picking the Warriors.

Cry Havoc
04-15-2015, 03:56 PM
On paper, the starting matchups favor the Warriors, but It depends on how we are playing Spurs ball--and the health of our players---if we get to the WCF. Then, if we go there and steal a game on their home court, the inexperience of the Warriors under pressure should begin to show.

I don't understand how anyone could say that. Green and Leonard are basically built to stop the kind of play that the GSW 1 and 2 guards feed from. They're both 3 point shooters which is heavily negated by the length of our defenders.

Additionally, we're a very disciplined unit on defense, so a lot of the stuff Golden State runs to get players open, dangerous forays across the lane and trick passes included, doesn't really work on the Spurs.

One of Golden State's strengths is the interior presence of Bogut. But he's going to struggle against Duncan on both sides of the ball. The Spurs can also pull him out of the paint, and I don't think he has the ability to shut down penetration from Leonard and Manu. Maybe not even Tony though a lot of that could go the way of the whistle.

Overall it's not unwinnable for the Dubs but if you were to draw up a matchup that they would be scared of, it would be: A stout defensive team with speed and length on the perimeter, bigs who can play pace and space, and a team that can generate turnovers on the fly to limit GSW's freewheeling offense. The Spurs are, as fate would have it, tailored almost to exact specifications to be a team that gives the Warriors trouble.

If we do play in the WSF/WCF, it'll be interesting to see the lineups Kerr tries. I almost think he should play small ball against us to try to isolate speed matchups on the perimeter. But I doubt a 65 win team is going to go away from what got them to the dance.

Cry Havoc
04-15-2015, 03:58 PM
No way the Spurs should be considered favorites over Golden State without homecourt and with what Splitter will be able to give being an enormous question mark. I'd be shocked to see the Spurs win a title starting Aron Baynes.

Diaw is likely going to get the lion's share of minutes until Splitter is healthy. Boris would be another big that could give GSW fits on that end. They really don't have anyone to guard him in the post other than Bogut, and I'd love seeing GSW put someone else on Tim. He would eat them alive. :lol

hater
04-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Yup pretty much agree with that.

Worriers see going to have to adjust to us and not vice versa. Anytime that happens. They team is ay a disadvantage.

Malik Hairston
04-15-2015, 04:04 PM
Nobody is saying the Spurs can't beat the Warriors, of course they can, it's probably a 60/40 series IMO..if the Spurs had homecourt, they would be 60/40 favorites IMO..I'm just saying, there's a reason that the Warriors just had one of the most historic regular seasons of all-time, they are legit..

Anybody that thinks any team other than the Spurs can challenge them is delusional, tbh:lol..the Clippers are the only other team that would have a puncher's chance due to their talent + the rivalry, but it's still a long shot, and unfortunately, the Clippers aren't in their bracket..

They're going to have an extremely easy series vs. either Portland or Houston or Memphis in the 2nd round, sadly..

Budkin
04-15-2015, 04:15 PM
These Warriors are not the 05 Suns. They actually play defense. That being said, Spurs still win if healthy.

KL2
04-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Spurs can take them at full health, winning in Oakland will be tough.

Baynes has stepped it up lately, he is huuuge for us, especially against GS. Spurs really depend on Splitter against GS, but Baynes' production helps lighten the load.

GS is a pretty small team without Bogut, they have a tough time fighting through screens against our big players, Spurs have one of the biggest teams in the league. Spurs can get great position to rebound, defend, do what they need to do, that's why I like our chances, I see a lot of high % shots for us.

Belli needs to be limited as much as possible or something, Pop needs to not fuck around with the lineups and go 100%. I can see him getting destroyed out there.

Maddog
04-15-2015, 04:35 PM
The Spurs definitely have a shot. GS should be favored for all the reasons listed- Home Court, 65+ wins. Good defense. Loaded with young talent.

Mugen
04-15-2015, 04:47 PM
If Steph/Klay get hot, there's just pretty much nothing you can do tbh. If they're hitting contested 25 footers, you just tip your cap and wish them luck in the Finals.

But if Klay reverts back to playoff Klay, then they're gonna be in trouble against the Spurs....

Knoxxx
04-15-2015, 04:52 PM
I'm fairly embarrassed that my fellow Spurs fan don't all consider us the OBVIOUS favorite. We are getting very near the level we played at 10 months ago which was all time historic. We just destroyed GSW.

The defending champion, in that situation, is the OBVIOUS favorite. "But, but GSW won so many regular season games by a lot of points blah blah blah...."

Effin' ludicrous!

I will grant that it is close enough that Spurs dropping to the 6th seed with a loss tonight could turn the tide. But to pick against your own team (tonight or otherwise) when we have seen what said team is still capable of, that's idiotic. GTFO off the board you are no fan.

04-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Diaw is likely going to get the lion's share of minutes until Splitter is healthy. Boris would be another big that could give GSW fits on that end. They really don't have anyone to guard him in the post other than Bogut, and I'd love seeing GSW put someone else on Tim. He would eat them alive. :lolGreen did a fine job on Bobo in the last matchup..

RD2191
04-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Green did a fine job on Bobo in the last matchup..
Yes, he did. I though diaw was going to best green.:lol

ShooGazer
04-15-2015, 05:50 PM
This year's Warriors team reminds me of the Chicago Bulls during Rose's MVP season: a successful, super-hyped regular season team that finishes as the first seed with their MVP point guard, but ends up getting blown out by an elite team come playoff time. Lebron shut down Rose, and I think Kawhi, Danny, plus whoever else can similarly shut down, or at least limit, Steph and Klay. Thoughts?

TD 21
04-15-2015, 05:55 PM

Maybe so, but you know full well that if the Lakers, Heat, etc. were the Spurs, they'd absolutely (rightly or wrongly) be favored. The Warriors being favored has little to do with having a historic regular season, history being on their side or anything else.

Malik Hairston
04-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Maybe so, but you know full well that if the Lakers, Heat, etc. were the Spurs, they'd absolutely (rightly or wrongly) be favored. The Warriors being favored has little to do with having a historic regular season, history being on their side or anything else.

Sure, of course the Warriors being the most beloved and popular non-title team I've ever seen has a lot to do with it, too..

With their regular season success + Curry's ability + HCA + the Spurs going on their 3rd consecutive attempted run into June, GS has to be the favorites..

beirmeistr
04-15-2015, 06:17 PM

are your fingers crossed?

RD2191
04-15-2015, 06:35 PM
are your fingers crossed?
:lolno comment

weeks
04-15-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm fairly embarrassed that my fellow Spurs fan don't all consider us the OBVIOUS favorite. We are getting very near the level we played at 10 months ago which was all time historic. We just destroyed GSW.

The defending champion, in that situation, is the OBVIOUS favorite. "But, but GSW won so many regular season games by a lot of points blah blah blah...."

Effin' ludicrous!

I will grant that it is close enough that Spurs dropping to the 6th seed with a loss tonight could turn the tide. But to pick against your own team (tonight or otherwise) when we have seen what said team is still capable of, that's idiotic. GTFO off the board you are no fan.

strong post

TD 21
04-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Sure, of course the Warriors being the most beloved and popular non-title team I've ever seen has a lot to do with it, too..

With their regular season success + Curry's ability + HCA + the Spurs going on their 3rd consecutive attempted run into June, GS has to be the favorites..

From a fan perspective, the reasoning is sound. I'm just saying, from a media perspective, given the way they'd normally operate in this situation, they'd favor the incumbent, out of respect more than anything. The only time they don't is when it's the Spurs and that's not right.

wildbill2u
04-16-2015, 11:45 PM
How do you see the probable matchups of the starting five? I've been playing around with them and it's tough except the Duncan/Bogut pairing.

One thing is sure. Their only weaknesses are rebounding and turnovers. Our rebounding and defense will have to stop their fastbreak offense. Can't let them have second shots when they miss.

Kidd K
04-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Headshot.

:lmao

Phenomanul
04-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Let's not forget that should this series materialize, Hack-a-Bogut is definitely a strategy that can be employed (given Andrew's meager 52.4 FT% for the season)....