PDA

View Full Version : Is Game 1 a must win?

Splits
04-16-2015, 11:21 PM
I would say yes. If we don't Clippers sweep.

BillMc
04-16-2015, 11:24 PM
I think getting 1 of 2 is pretty close to a must.

(But we DID beat Cliff Paul back in 2008 with New Orleans when we lost the first two games)

RD2191
04-16-2015, 11:25 PM
I don't know if it's a must win but it would certainly send a message to the Clips and fuck with their head.

Sean Cagney
04-16-2015, 11:27 PM
I don't know if it's a must win but it would certainly send a message to the Clips and fuck with their head.

Damn right.

weeks
04-16-2015, 11:27 PM

ugh, i really thought they'd send a message to the rest of the league with an absolute beatdown of NO. i mean this was a super important...

/still hurts :bang

i think we need to take game one, just to work out some frustration and gain some confidence back

100%duncan
04-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Nope. Just need to get 1 out of the first 2

Spur|n|Austin
04-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Nope. Just need to get 1 out of the first 2

agreed. You make game 1 a must win and don't succeed, then you lose even more wind from your sails.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-16-2015, 11:29 PM
A series doesnt begin until someone loses on their homecourt

apalisoc_9
04-16-2015, 11:30 PM
It's always better to win the first game because you give yourself a chance to win both games in the road...you win both games in LA..game over.

BillMc
04-16-2015, 11:31 PM
It's always better to win the first game because you give yourself a chance to win both games in the road...you win both games in LA..game over.

Agreed.

Mr Bones
04-16-2015, 11:31 PM
It would be nice, but I wouldn't say it's a must win. The Clippers don't feel like favorites, even if they do have home court advantage. If they win, they'll still be sweating game 2 and losing home court.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-16-2015, 11:32 PM

Its always better to win the first 4 games that way you sweep the other team and get to rest. :lol

BillMc
04-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Its always better to win the first 4 games that way you sweep the other team and get to rest. :lol

Can't argue with that logic :lol

RD2191
ugh, i really thought they'd send a message to the rest of the league with an absolute beatdown of NO. i mean this was a super important...

/still hurts :bang

i think we need to take game one, just to work out some frustration and gain some confidence back
I agree that a win would be a huge confidence booster.

apalisoc_9

of course. :lol

Just a respond to that question, which game would rather win game 1 or 2?

Mikeanaro
I think getting 1 of 2 is pretty close to a must.

(But we DID beat Cliff Paul back in 2008 with New Orleans when we lost the first two games)
Helluva series, Timmy had a flu and New Orleanears ( or how the hell its spelled) were doing some voodoo on our players I think it went to 7 games also remember David West.

100%duncan
04-16-2015, 11:34 PM

Of course, that's the ideal situation but it won't always be ours.

BatManu20
No. But splitting is a must.

100%duncan
A series doesnt begin until someone loses on their homecourt

I always see this as bullshit, if Clips go 2-0 on us that shit is gonna be hard to climb homecourt or not.

Darius Bieber
04-16-2015, 11:37 PM
Yes. Otherwise Clippers sweep by winning each game by 40+

BillMc
04-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Helluva series, Timmy had a flu and New Orleanears ( or how the hell its spelled) were doing some voodoo on our players I think it went to 7 games also remember David West.

Yeah. That was epic. I was in Ukraine and couldn't watch it on the internet then. I had to listen to the whole seven game war on internet radio, staying up to 8 am most nights in an internet cafe.

RD2191
04-16-2015, 11:40 PM
Yeah. That was epic. I was in Ukraine and couldn't watch it on the internet then. I had to listen to the whole seven game war on internet radio, staying up to 8 am most nights in an internet cafe.
That's awesome. Dedicated fan. I might listen to Game 1 on the radio just for the experience. I've never listened to a basketball game on the radio before.

Spur|n|Austin
04-16-2015, 11:40 PM

True fan :hat

BillMc
04-16-2015, 11:43 PM
That's awesome. Dedicated fan. I might listen to Game 1 on the radio just for the experience. I've never listened to a basketball game on the radio before.

The quality of your experience depends on the announcers of course. There's a different sort of drama because you have to imagine everything. Listening to that pregnant pause after the radio man says "he shoots" hoping for "he scores" to follow. Not as good as a video feed, of course, but it can be entertaining.

BillMc
04-16-2015, 11:46 PM
True fan :hat

Thanks man!:toast All of us that spend so much time on this site are pretty dedicated obviously.

Mikeanaro
04-16-2015, 11:51 PM
Also IIRC after game 6 there was a problem with the plane Timmy and Oberto were dead tired so they slept inside the plane until things were resolved, wow Internet radio well as serious fans we got to keep track whatever it takes, right?

pgardn
04-16-2015, 11:53 PM

If I could Knight you, I would, Sir Bill.
I live in SA. I will buy you a river boat and commence the proceedings on the vessel during the Finals.
Our cargo will include your favorite libation.

Mikeanaro
04-16-2015, 11:54 PM
Is not bad here most people listen to Soccer games, even when they are in the Stadiums right next to the field.

ironman2886
Also IIRC after game 6 there was a problem with the plane Timmy and Oberto were dead tired so they slept inside the plane until things were resolved, wow Internet radio well as serious fans we got to keep track whatever it takes, right?
Damn, that laker series was horrible. Didn't the Spurs have like 3 games where they had a 20 point lead and lost 2 of them?

Spurs 4 The Win

After game 7, we got screwed and left on the tarmac when we had a game the next night (a b2b in the playoffs, bullshit) vs the Lakers

Spurs 4 The Win
04-16-2015, 11:55 PM
Damn, that laker series was horrible. Didn't the Spurs have like 3 games where they had a 20 point lead and lost 2 of them?

Yeah, we dominated game 1 and ran out of steam, got destroyed in game 2, dominated them in game 3, ripped off by the refs in game 4, and choked another big lead in game 5 but the series was over after the screwjob by the ref tbh

BillMc
04-16-2015, 11:58 PM

That plane malfunction, was against the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals I think. It sucked because we blew a big lead the next game as we were running on fumes.

Yeah, all us fans find a way to watch/listen/feel the game somehow. :toast

ironman2886
04-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Yeah, we dominated game 1 and ran out of steam, got destroyed in game 2, dominated them in game 3, ripped off by the refs in game 4, and choked another big lead in game 5 but the series was over after the screwjob by the ref tbh
Spurs would have been spanked in the finals(Celtics), though.

BillMc
04-17-2015, 12:00 AM

Yeah, Berry got hammered by Fisher right in front of Joey Crawford and a no call.

Mikeanaro
04-17-2015, 12:01 AM
Yeah, thing were horrible after NO, they blew a 30 point lead me and my dad had like 30 rants per day...

BillMc
04-17-2015, 12:04 AM
If I could Knight you, I would, Sir Bill.
I live in SA. I will buy you a river boat and commence the proceedings on the vessel during the Finals.
Our cargo will include your favorite libation.

I'm honored, bro. (If not quite worthy!:lol) Our libation would have to be some of Pop's "Pounding the Rock" wine, I think! :bobo

dabom
04-17-2015, 12:04 AM
Every game is a must win.

Mikeanaro
04-17-2015, 12:05 AM
After game 7, we got screwed and left on the tarmac when we had a game the next night (a b2b in the playoffs, bullshit) vs the Lakers
You are right it was after 7.

BillMc
04-17-2015, 12:05 AM
Spurs would have been spanked in the finals(Celtics), though.

Sad, but true.

Cloud786
04-17-2015, 12:06 AM

It actually wasn't a b2b although it felt like it.

Mikeanaro
04-17-2015, 12:10 AM
Here is an article about the plane incident http://blogs.courant.com/travel_columnists_leblanc/2008/05/san-antonio-spurs-spend-night.html
It wasnt a b2b but they were tired.

BillMc
04-17-2015, 12:14 AM
Here is an article about the plane incident http://blogs.courant.com/travel_columnists_leblanc/2008/05/san-antonio-spurs-spend-night.html

Good read. I have always had a hard time believing the team couldn't find ANY hotel rooms available. Given the money involved for players and organization, someone could have rented SOMETHING for the night.

I remember Bill Simmons wrote a funny article (back when he was still amusing) about what all the players supposedly did on that plane. Manu kept reclining his seat to practice flopping, Eva called Tony accusing him of being with another woman, Oberto was working on his hair, etc...

Spurs 4 The Win
04-17-2015, 12:15 AM
It actually wasn't a b2b although it felt like it.

No it was man, they asked Tony after the game, do yall have to go back to SA and then go to LA, and Tony says, let me let you in on a secret, and he pulls out his packed bags for LA and said they knew they were gonna win, epic moment

Venti Quattro
04-17-2015, 12:15 AM
1 Game more a must than Game 1 for the Spurs

Venti Quattro
04-17-2015, 12:16 AM
Eva called Tony accusing him of being with another woman

:rollin How right was she

pgardn
04-17-2015, 12:17 AM
I'm honored, bro. (If not quite worthy!:lol) Our libation would have to be some of Pop's "Pounding the Rock" wine, I think! :bobo

You ever need any Spurs gear, I will buy it and send it to you.
I can get it much cheaper than you most likely.
The KL jerseys are everywhere now.

Cloud786
04-17-2015, 12:18 AM
It wasnt a b2b but they were tired.

The article states game 7 vs New Orleans was on a Monday night while game 1 vs Lakers was on a Wednesday night. Therefore, NOT A B2B.

Cloud786
04-17-2015, 12:20 AM
No it was man, they asked Tony after the game, do yall have to go back to SA and then go to LA, and Tony says, let me let you in on a secret, and he pulls out his packed bags for LA and said they knew they were gonna win, epic moment

They did fly directly from New Orleans to LA but it was NOT a b2b. They didn't have time to fly back to SA and then fly to LA for a potential game 1 so they packed their bags with the intention they would win game 7 in New Orleans and fly directly to LA after the game.

spurs10
04-17-2015, 12:24 AM
The quality of your experience depends on the announcers of course. There's a different sort of drama because you have to imagine everything. Listening to that pregnant pause after the radio man says "he shoots" hoping for "he scores" to follow. Not as good as a video feed, of course, but it can be entertaining. Were you hearing Bill Schoening?

Mikeanaro
04-17-2015, 12:26 AM
Good read. I have always had a hard time believing the team couldn't find ANY hotel rooms available. Given the money involved for players and organization, someone could have rented SOMETHING for the night.

I remember Bill Simmons wrote a funny article (back when he was still amusing) about what all the players did on that plane. Manu kept reclining his seat to practice flopping, Eva called Tony accusing him of being with another woman, Oberto was working on his hair, etc...
NO people was seriously butthurted sometimes people do dumb things like that Memphis chef who banned TP from his bistro/restaurant, dude had a serious case of homerism.
Lol I think I missed the article but I read some stuff Manu wrote for his official site at the time, its been like 8 years since I went to his site for the last time.

Mikeanaro
04-17-2015, 12:29 AM
The article states game 7 vs New Orleans was on a Monday night while game 1 vs Lakers was on a Wednesday night. Therefore, NOT A B2B.
No back to back you are right, I took first the date of the article but it was made a day after the NO game.

Spurs 4 The Win
04-17-2015, 12:29 AM
They did fly directly from New Orleans to LA but it was NOT a b2b. They didn't have time to fly back to SA and then fly to LA for a potential game 1 so they packed their bags with the intention they would win game 7 in New Orleans and fly directly to LA after the game.

I looked it up, you are right. It did pretty much end up being a back to back after that bullshit with the plane though.

BillMc
04-17-2015, 12:38 AM
You ever need any Spurs gear, I will buy it and send it to you.
I can get it much cheaper than you most likely.
The KL jerseys are everywhere now.

Cheers man, that is really kind of you. :toast I'm in the Vegas area for another ten days before going back to Europe, so I'm going to get myself some Spurs stuff (at least a hat, maybe a jersey) at some sports store in the city center. (But away from the Strip, where all the stores are rip offs). If I can't find anything I like, I might take you up on the offer sometime. Very cool. Many thanks.

BillMc
04-17-2015, 12:39 AM
Were you hearing Bill Schoening?

You know, its been so long I can't remember. But I don't think it was Bill S, he's a pretty relaxed announcer. I remember the guy being kind of cranky and sarcastic.

pgardn
04-17-2015, 12:42 AM
Cheers man, that is really kind of you. :toast I'm in the Vegas area for another ten days before going back to Europe, so I'm going to get myself some Spurs stuff (at least a hat, maybe a jersey) at some sports store in the city center. (But away from the Strip, where all the stores are rip offs). If I can't find anything I like, I might take you up on the offer sometime. Very cool. Many thanks.

Offer stands.
I love spreading the international flavor of our team.
You could be a walking ad for the greatest basketball show on Earth.

BillMc
04-17-2015, 12:58 AM
Offer stands.
I love spreading the international flavor of our team.
You could be a walking ad for the greatest basketball show on Earth.

Cheers! :toast

BillMc
04-17-2015, 12:58 AM
:rollin How right was she
:lol

Horry Hipcheck
04-17-2015, 01:49 AM
Late contribution: It's hard to say. The ideal situation is to get a split in LA, worst case scenario. History tells us the winner of Game 1 goes on to win the series about 77% of the time, but what the Spurs do in Games 1 and 2 goes out the door if they don't hold serve in SA. LA is a dangerous team, and going into a Game 5 situation knotted up at 2-2 or 1-3 isn't exactly ideal. The Spurs will want to do everything in their power to close the whole thing out in Game 6, if not before.

ElNono
04-17-2015, 02:40 AM
No.

spurraider21
04-17-2015, 03:12 AM
just gotta steal one of 'em. of course the first is preferable... that way you just play with house money game 2

mudyez
04-17-2015, 03:24 AM
1st game is always a must win...

...until you lose.

Old School 44
04-17-2015, 06:15 AM
No. But I expect them to win. After the game against the Pelicans, game 1 of the playoffs can't get here fast enough!

Capt Bringdown
04-17-2015, 06:26 AM
This year's squad does not handle pressure well. Case in point is our overtime record.
We need every advantage we can grab. There's little room for error as a 6th seed.

04-17-2015, 06:30 AM
As far as I'm concerned every playoff game is a must game.

By not having HCA, the Spurs have to avoid game 7's because those are the most difficult road games to win, regardless of who you're playing.

Thomas82
04-17-2015, 06:41 AM

With all the internal problems that the Clippers have, if we take Game 1, the bottom might fall out of that team.

MilesTeg
04-17-2015, 06:58 AM
Must win for the Clippers. If they lose game 1 I don't see them coming back.

If we lose game 1 then game 2 is the must win.

mkurts
04-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Yes.

And must use Hack a Jordan

benstanfield
04-17-2015, 08:15 AM
In terms of winning the first round, probably not. Losing game 1 would make game 2 a near must win however.

But in terms of winning the championship I think it is. Spurs basically fucked their chances (went from like 80% to 40% lock for WCF) with that loss to the Pelicans. If they're going to have any fuel in the tank to beat the Warriors, they need to escape rounds 1 & 2 in relatively short order (the Warriors will probably lose 1 game in the first two rounds and are younger). If we lose G1 it doesn't mean we won't beat the Clippers, but it does mean that in all likelihood the series is going to be a dogfight. We can't have that for two rounds and expect to have the juice to win 6 against the actual contenders of the league.

100%duncan
04-17-2015, 08:23 AM
In terms of winning the first round, probably not. Losing game 1 would make game 2 a near must win however.

But in terms of winning the championship I think it is. Spurs basically fucked their chances (went from like 80% to 40% lock for WCF) with that loss to the Pelicans. If they're going to have any fuel in the tank to beat the Warriors, they need to escape rounds 1 & 2 in relatively short order (the Warriors will probably lose 1 game in the first two rounds and are younger). If we lose G1 it doesn't mean we won't beat the Clippers, but it does mean that in all likelihood the series is going to be a dogfight. We can't have that for two rounds and expect to have the juice to win 6 against the actual contenders of the league.

Chill the fuck out, they will have 2-3 days rests in between some games in teh 1st 2 rounds for sure. And only 2 guys are really old.

benstanfield
04-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Chill the fuck out, they will have 2-3 days rests in between some games in teh 1st 2 rounds for sure. And only 2 guys are really old.

7 game series is the same as a 5 game series and won't matter if the next round opponent swept their competition. Gotcha.

100%duncan
04-17-2015, 08:40 AM
7 game series is the same as a 5 game series and won't matter if the next round opponent swept their competition. Gotcha.

Like I said any of that shit :lol All I said was series will have days off.

Raven
04-17-2015, 08:49 AM
the answer is no.

elbamba
04-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Spurs are one of the few teams that could lose games 1 and 2 and still win the series. But I'd rather they play it safe and win the first four games.