PDA

View Full Version : Keys to Round 1: Defending DeAndre with Parker and Patty

Gino-Step
04-17-2015, 12:41 AM
First of all, this is Gino-step and I am back after a regular season hiatus. Seems like all you guys finally caught on to what I've been preaching for years.

Let's recap what you all now say on frequency - fawning over Draymond Green, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Danny Green, Tiago Splitter, Paul Millsap, Klay Thompson etc. Now hating on Tony Parker, little point guards, and stiff centers.

Length and Mobility is what I've been harking on for years. You want maximum ability to switch pick and rolls and play positionless defence with a mobile offense. Golden State, Spurs, Hawks, and Cavs putting this on display.

Now that it's been established that this is correct, here are the keys to round 1:

Starting lineup:
PG: Tony Parker
SG: Danny Green
SF: Kawhi Leonard
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Patty Mills

Since you can hack DeAndre anytime to put him on the free throw line, you have a free opportunity to guard DeAndre with any player of any size, strength, height or defensive ability. Might as well use your smallest worst defenders: Tony Parker and Patty Mills. Post entry? Foul. Lob pass? Foul.

On the other end of the court, you force one of DeAndre or Blake Griffen to guard Kawhi Leonard and create mismatch problems all the time. Another great lineup:

PG: Manu Ginobili
PF: Boris Diaw
C: Tony Parker/Patty Mills

These lineups are indefensible on the offensive end due to space and pace and shooting at every position. Meanwhile you cannot get killed on the defensive end as Boris can guard Blake, and Tony/Patty can guard DeAndre.

This Clippers team is brutally flawed and the exact opposite of the way the league is headed which is 5 small forwards. Instead these Clips are strong at PG and C.

Spurs in 4 if Pop doesn't mind embarrassing the NBA and the way it's set up.

Malik Hairston
04-17-2015, 12:47 AM
:lol..

Spurs 4 The Win
04-17-2015, 12:49 AM
First of all, this is Gino-step and I am back after a regular season hiatus. Seems like all you guys finally caught on to what I've been preaching for years.

Let's recap what you all now say on frequency - fawning over Draymond Green, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Danny Green, Tiago Splitter, Paul Millsap, Klay Thompson etc. Now hating on Tony Parker, little point guards, and stiff centers.

Length and Mobility is what I've been harking on for years. You want maximum ability to switch pick and rolls and play positionless defence with a mobile offense. Golden State, Spurs, Hawks, and Cavs putting this on display.

Now that it's been established that this is correct, here are the keys to round 1:

Starting lineup:
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Patty Mills

Since you can hack DeAndre anytime to put him on the free throw line, you have a free opportunity to guard DeAndre with any player of any size, strength, height or defensive ability. Might as well use your smallest worst defenders: Tony Parker and Patty Mills. Post entry? Foul. Lob pass? Foul.

On the other end of the court, you force one of DeAndre or Blake Griffen to guard Kawhi Leonard and create mismatch problems all the time. Another great lineup:

PG: Manu Ginobili
PF: Boris Diaw
C: Tony Parker/Patty Mills

These lineups are indefensible on the offensive end due to space and pace and shooting at every position. Meanwhile you cannot get killed on the defensive end as Boris can guard Blake, and Tony/Patty can guard DeAndre.

This Clippers team is brutally flawed and the exact opposite of the way the league is headed which is 5 small forwards. Instead these Clips are strong at PG and C.

Spurs in 4 if Pop doesn't mind embarrassing the NBA and the way it's set up.

Until Tony fouls out from the mismatch every time, dumbass

Gino-Step
04-17-2015, 12:51 AM
You've got Tony, Cory, Patty, Ayres, Baynes, Bonners - 36 fouls to burn at the Center position. Plenty enough.

RD2191
04-17-2015, 12:52 AM
Solid troll job.

Robz4000
04-17-2015, 12:54 AM
:rollin dis gun be gud

Raven
04-17-2015, 01:02 AM
thread of the week easily :lol

Gino-Step
04-17-2015, 01:07 AM
Taken to another level, since you got someone to foul DeAndre all day, your other 4 players don't need to play defense either. As such, the Spurs should play a lineup of:

SG: Patty Mills
SF: Manu Ginobili
PF: Danny Green
C: Kawhi Leonard

All players can take turns fouling DeAndre. There is no such thing as a defensive possession since every play will be DeAndre shooting free throws. On offense, you can now score 150 points a night especially since you're only on defense 2 seconds per play and will end up getting 50% more offensive plays in a game.

Since Manu is old, he doesn't even need to leave the offensive side of the court. Just chill there while DeAndre is getting fouled by someone else and shooting free throws. Play one play on offense, take a 1 minute break. Then play another play. Manu can go off for 50.

DeAndre literally will not play in this series after Game 1 if Pop is willing to troll.

Silver&Black
04-17-2015, 01:11 AM
Solid thread....

Mr Bones
04-17-2015, 01:31 AM
:lol

04-17-2015, 02:59 AM
Accept we wouldn't get these things called reboubss

mudyez
04-17-2015, 03:22 AM
Until Tony fouls out from the mismatch every time, dumbass

Thats the actual key OP is talking bout.

Kineto
04-17-2015, 03:32 AM
It could work defensivly, but the rebounding differential will be brutal... :D

But i like this idea of fooling every time de andre touch the ball : it's a great way to hide boner on the defensive end.

JohnnyMax
04-17-2015, 04:12 AM
This is what would happen to Enrique and Mills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkN2q6sUUk

Mister Sinister
04-17-2015, 05:39 AM
http://imghumour.com/assets/Uploads/1309459116010.jpg

ChosenSavior
04-17-2015, 07:49 AM
http://imghumour.com/assets/Uploads/1309459116010.jpg

FkLA
04-17-2015, 08:23 AM
:lmao

wut
04-17-2015, 09:16 AM
*sits down watching intensely* :lol

Not sure if genius or crazy, continue.

Vash StampedE
04-17-2015, 09:53 AM
*sits down watching intensely* :lol

Not sure if genius or crazy, continue.
:lolMills as Center. OP even seems like he really thought hard in making this thread. But maybe OP is just trolling and is just suggesting about playing small ball. I think the 2nd lineup that OP suggested is a lineup that Pop is currently employing.

wut
04-17-2015, 10:22 AM
I forget who it was, think it was TNT that was saying in one game, Spurs were basically playing Duncan and 4 PGs....a highly effective lineup.

ElNono
04-17-2015, 10:32 AM
This idea is a slam dunk...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2300537/deandrethunderdunk.gif

DMC
04-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Funny how the team gets so fired up over a 2pt score but then proceeds to lose when it matters. Typical monkeyball. By the time they figure out they are focusing on the wrong thing, that flashy dunks don't win games, they're too old to matter.

Seventyniner
04-17-2015, 11:47 AM
Could barely read the thread, had too many tears in my eyes from laughing at the thread title.

FkLA
04-17-2015, 11:50 AM
On second thought, using up Enrique's 6 fouls in the first half doesn't seem like a bad idea. Giving Jordan 4-5 points to get rid of Rique is a great trade off tbh. :tu

Leetonidas
04-17-2015, 12:22 PM
wut

cjw
04-17-2015, 12:37 PM
You've got Tony, Cory, Patty, Ayres, Baynes, Bonners - 36 fouls to burn at the Center position. Plenty enough.

You forgot Beli plus the fouls that others can give if not in foul trouble.

I don't start hacking Jordan until in the penalty. But knowing that you have that option available to you, you are able to play more aggressively on defense as fouls aren't as much a concern.

Force Doc's hand to pull Jordan and the paint opens up considerably. Strange to see the Clipper's DRtg go up when DeAndre is off the court, but that's likely a factor of him being overrated defensively and matchups (facing bench lineups):

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAC/2015/on-off/

Spur|n|Austin
04-17-2015, 01:34 PM
http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/04/wut-gif.gif

TheRemix
04-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Brb going to test this on 2k

will_spurs
04-18-2015, 02:25 AM
I don't care if it works or not, I'd love to see Pop troll the NBA this way. It would be epic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2LRDO4jiBo

apalisoc_9
04-18-2015, 02:27 AM
On second thought, using up Enrique's 6 fouls in the first half doesn't seem like a bad idea. Giving Jordan 4-5 points to get rid of Rique is a great trade off tbh. :tu