PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Your Prediction: Any Playoff Upsets in 2015?

heyheymymy
04-17-2015, 11:47 AM
Anyone have any upset calls for the 2015 NBA Playoffs? Brackets look pretty straightforward, but there is potential.

I could possibly see DAL over HOU or MEM over GSW happening, but the East looks pretty locked in.

Obviously very slim odds here, hence why it's called an upset. Not guaranteeing anything or suggesting this is likely to happen. But the Playoffs are exciting enough that every now and then you see a team advance you'd didn't think would.

Arcadian
04-17-2015, 12:11 PM
I expect relatively a lot of "upsets" this year due to how close the seeding was.

Spurs over Clippers
Grizzlies over Blazers
Mavs over Rockets (maybe)
Wizards over Raptors (maybe)

Cry Havoc
04-17-2015, 12:43 PM
I expect relatively a lot of "upsets" this year due to how close the seeding was.

Spurs over Clippers
Grizzlies over Blazers

Agree with these.

I also think the Pelicans could "upset" the Warriors by pushing that series to 6 games (Warriors are taking it though obviously). AD is a matchup nightmare and can win a game or two on his own, and they're finally healthy.

ImDaNuts
04-17-2015, 12:43 PM

Spurs over Clippers
Grizzlies over Blazers

Spurs are favoured over the Clippers so not really an upset.

Grizzlies are also favoured.

Honestly I could see some upsets in the East. Not much in the West in the first round.

Double-Up
04-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Agree with these.

I also think the Pelicans could "upset" the Warriors by pushing that series to 6 games. AD is a matchup nightmare.

I see GS sweeping the series...

Cry Havoc
Spurs are favoured over the Clippers so not really an upset.

Grizzlies are also favoured.

Honestly I could see some upsets in the East. Not much in the West in the first round.

Who? I mean other than the 4-5 the top 3 seeds in the East are the only decent teams in the entire conference.

Cry Havoc
I see GS sweeping the series...

This is the upset thread, not the "make easy calls on paper" thread. :lol

Darth_Pelican
04-17-2015, 12:47 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/p480x480/11164819_10152761619642927_1212652146380243316_n.j pg?oh=35cddc06cb7dacfc7ab2c67c2544a322&oe=55AB46F4

Malik Hairston
04-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Can't really see any first round upsets, tbh(Clippers-Spurs wouldn't be an upset, regardless)..maybe Dallas, if they get their shit together and Houston continues their choking..

Raptors are always prone to choking, of course, but they have HCA and match up well with a shitty Wizards team..

ElNono
04-17-2015, 12:51 PM
I think every series in the West is in play, except GSW-Pels... Not a sure thing the Warriors will have a cakewalk in that series, but I think it's safe to say they'll move on.

Lots of injuries and banged up guys in a lot of teams (Parsons, Splitter, Matthews, Conley, Gasol, Batum, JCrawford just came back from missing like 17 games, etc).

That's some important matchup guys, so we'll see who plays, at what level and what not.

In the East, I think it's going to be Cleveland-Hawks... at first sight that's what it looks like. I also think the Hawks could knock down the Cavs, which I guess would be an upset?

Cry Havoc
04-17-2015, 12:54 PM
I think every series in the West is in play, except GSW-Pels... Not a sure thing the Warriors will have a cakewalk in that series, but I think it's safe to say they'll move on.

Lots of injuries and banged up guys in a lot of teams (Parsons, Splitter, Matthews, Conley, Gasol, Batum, JCrawford just came back from missing like 17 games, etc).

That's some important matchup guys, so we'll see who plays, at what level and what not.

In the East, I think it's going to be Cleveland-Hawks... at first sight that's what it looks like. I also think the Hawks could knock down the Cavs, which I guess would be an upset?

With Rose "healthy" the Bulls are a legitimate wild card.

I can't see the Cavs losing to anyone but you never know, first year teams often struggle in the playoffs against good defenses.

West is open except I can't see Portland doing much.

ElNono
04-17-2015, 01:03 PM
With Rose "healthy" the Bulls are a legitimate wild card.

I can't see the Cavs losing to anyone but you never know, first year teams often struggle in the playoffs against good defenses.

West is open except I can't see Portland doing much.

Bulls have no shot, with or without Rose, IMO.

Obviously, we're talking on paper here, more injuries, a bad matchup or a team getting "hot" at the right time can change everything. That's why the games are played.

ImDaNuts
04-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Spurs just went from -190 to -171. Hmm.

Honestly the Bucks +651 has value. I don't see the Bulls as a threat. Jason Kidd has done a great job this year with his team. Series goes at least 6 games.

Cry Havoc
04-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Bulls have no shot, with or without Rose, IMO.

Obviously, we're talking on paper here, more injuries, a bad matchup or a team getting "hot" at the right time can change everything. That's why the games are played.

I think you underestimate how bad the teams in the East are. :lol I mean, would the Cavs even be the 7 seed out West if they played in our conference?

Cry Havoc
04-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Spurs just went from -190 to -171. Hmm.

Honestly the Bucks +651 has value. I don't see the Bulls as a threat. Jason Kidd has done a great job this year with his team. Series goes at least 6 games.

I'm very mildly high on the Bulls, but yeah that's a solid value bet. Bucks could make some noise.

hater
04-17-2015, 01:31 PM
West is wide open. Besides easy call of Grizz over Blazers anyone can beat anyone.

Chances are GSW will advance so the only true question marks are spurs vs clips and mavs vs rox.

I still have to chomp some numbers but it seems rockets might squeak by Mavs barely.

Spurs Clips is gonna be a fucking series for the ages.

spurs in 6.

hater
04-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Who cares about the East btw :lol

hater
04-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Oh and btw the real upset would be Clips over Spurs. Spurs are supposed to win that series unless they choke.

Infinite_limit
04-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Who cares about the East btw :lol
http://style.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/style/2013/06/justin-bieber-game-7.jpg

ElNono
04-17-2015, 01:51 PM
I think you underestimate how bad the teams in the East are. :lol I mean, would the Cavs even be the 7 seed out West if they played in our conference?

Meh, if I had to pick a dark horse in the East, I much rather pick the Wiz. They have way more talent than the Bulls, even with Rose, but with them it's always: "will Wall/Beal/Nene/Gortat figure it out this time?"... and the most likely answer is no, since they also have a terrible coach. But, you know, if some of those guys put 2 and 2 together, and I can see them making some noise.

ElNono
04-17-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm very mildly high on the Bulls, but yeah that's a solid value bet. Bucks could make some noise.

I'm mildly curious about the Bucks. I think they could be really good or a real disaster. I don't think there's a middle ground for them.

hater
04-17-2015, 01:53 PM
:lol wizards. They are getting bounced in the 1st by the lowly raptors.

Wiz are one of the shittiest teams in the playoffs

Infinite_limit
04-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Meh, if I had to pick a dark horse in the East, I much rather pick the Wiz. They have way more talent than the Bulls, even with Rose, but with them it's always: "will Wall/Beal/Nene/Gortat figure it out this time?"... and the most likely answer is no, since they also have a terrible coach. But, you know, if some of those guys put 2 and 2 together, and I can see them making some noise.
So Wizards "have way more talent" than the Spurs?

Bulls have
- MVP
- DPOY
- 2 additional All Stars
- Rookie of the Year

Arguably the most talented team in the NBA

ElNono
04-17-2015, 01:55 PM
So Wizards "have way more talent" than the Spurs?

What part of "way more talent than the Bulls" needs translation?

Infinite_limit
04-17-2015, 01:55 PM
What part of "way more talent than the Bulls" needs translation?
Bulls have more talent than Spurs. Put one and two together

ElNono
04-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Bulls have more talent than Spurs. Put one and two together

No they don't. Bulls are 2nd round fodder at best, like pretty much every playoffs since the 2000's.

The Wiz has more talent, but it's dumb talent, so I doubt they'll get very far.

Infinite_limit
04-17-2015, 01:59 PM
No they don't. Bulls are 2nd round fodder at best, like pretty much every playoffs since the 2000's.

The Wiz has more talent, but it's dumb talent, so I doubt they'll get very far.
Are we talking talent or playoff performance. These are different measuring marks

Spurs have Duncan, Parker, Manu and Leonard. The rest of the team is filler. aka Gibson, Dunleavy, Snell, Kirk etc.

hater
04-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Okc and phoenix would beat the raptors and wiz in a series. That's how bad the East is

ElNono
04-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Are we talking talent or playoff performance. These are different measuring marks

Spurs have Duncan, Parker, Manu and Leonard. The rest of the team is filler. aka Gibson, Dunleavy, Snell, Kirk etc.

Playoffs is when you show off your talent. Heck, even Patty Mills is better than perennial failures like Hinrich.

If you've been sucking dick for 12 playoffs out of the past 15, then you're a cocksucker. It doesn't matter if you put lipstick on the other 3.

BTW, I love Thibs and I like Pau, but the team is infested with fake tough guys and quitters. Hard to win with that kind of talent.

ElNono
04-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Okc and phoenix would beat the raptors and wiz in a series. That's how bad the East is

I don't doubt that, but we're talking about the current playoff picture, tbh

Infinite_limit
04-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Playoffs is when you show off your talent. Heck, even Patty Mills is better than perennial failures like Hinrich.

If you've been sucking dick for 12 playoffs out of the past 15, then you're a cocksucker. It doesn't matter if you put lipstick on the other 3.

BTW, I love Thibs and I like Pau, but the team is infested with fake tough guys and quitters. Hard to win with that kind of talent.
Who other than the Defensive Player of the Year Noah tries to be a tough guy? The Bulls were the best Defensive team in the Association for 3 years. If that is the toughness you are speaking of

Who other than the guy with busted knees is a quitter? Is Rose not playing with another inflamed knee right now

Of all the people you defend, it's Pau? He's arguably the softest guy in the rotation.

ElNono
04-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Who other than the Defensive Player of the Year Noah tries to be a tough guy? The Bulls were the best Defensive team in the Association for 3 years. If that is the toughness you are speaking of

Who other than the guy with busted knees is a quitter? Is Rose not playing with another inflamed knee right now

Of all the people you defend, it's Pau? He's arguably the softest guy in the rotation.

lol regular season awards/championships...

what do you have? one conference finals in the past 14 years?

The "play tough" mantra means shit when the other team can simply isolate Noah and dare him to beat you one on one.

:lol this dude has 8 years in the league and still doesn't have a jumper or a post move. He's also vastly overrated on defense... the Bulls have not been the best defensive team in 3 years, and this season they're not even top 10.

How many series has Heinrich shoot you out of?

Pau is soft, but he's extremely talented. He's really the only guy that can save the Bulls from an embarrassing first round exit against the Bucks this season...

m>s
04-17-2015, 02:27 PM
You guys are smoking crack, I can see New Orleans winning one game with all of them being relatively close games but that's about it. Hate golden state.

Infinite_limit
04-17-2015, 02:28 PM
lol regular season awards/championships...

what do you have? one conference finals in the past 14 years?

The "play tough" mantra means shit when the other team can simply isolate Noah and dare him to beat you one on one.

:lol this dude has 8 years in the league and still doesn't have a jumper or a post move. He's also vastly overrated on defense... the Bulls have not been the best defensive team in 3 years, and this season they're not even top 10.

How many series has Heinrich shoot you out of?

Pau is soft, but he's extremely talented. He's really the only guy that can save the Bulls from an embarrassing first round exit against the Bucks this season...
Why so much anger directed towards a team that is supposedly point less?

This core group has 1 healthy playoff run in the past 4 years and it resulted in the Conference Finals.

Bulls would defeat the Bucks if Gasol sat out the entire series with an injury.

Seventyniner
04-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Spurs Clips is gonna be a fucking series for the ages.

That was also said about Spurs/Lakers in 2001 (:cry) and Spurs/Suns in 2008 (:lol), so you never really know.

ElNono
04-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Why so much anger directed towards a team that is supposedly point less?

lol @ pulling the angry card.

- Have the Bulls been the top defensive team the past 3 seasons?
- Are the Bulls a top 10 defensive team this season?
- Have they not been playoffs disappointments for the past 10+ years, save a few seasons, when they still couldn't get it done?
- Has Hinrich not been a playoff disappointment his entire career after his first two seasons?
- Has Noah developed any decent offensive game in the past 8 seasons?
- Isn't Pau the most talented, versatile player on that team?

Maybe one or two of those are debatable, but when we're discussing the Bulls, that's the team we're talking about.

If they somehow shock the world, then I'll be happy to eat crow, tbh...

I think Rose coming back gives them a marketing meme, but he's been pretty horrible this season, even before getting hurt again.

ElNono
04-17-2015, 02:49 PM
And, IMO, Wall/Beal/Nene/Gortat >>> Rose/Butler/Pau/Noah, talent-wise...

But, yeah, Thibs does run circles around Randy Wittman...

Infinite_limit
04-17-2015, 02:49 PM
lol @ pulling the angry card.

- Have the Bulls been the top defensive team the past 3 seasons? Yes
- Are the Bulls a top 10 defensive team this season? No
- Have they not been playoffs disappointments for the past 10+ years, save a few seasons, when they still couldn't get it done? They were underdogs in most if not all those playoff loses
- Has Hinrich not been a playoff disappointment his entire career after his first two seasons? He's a backup PG
- Has Noah developed any decent offensive game in the past 8 seasons? He's a solid passer
- Isn't Pau the most talented, versatile player on that team? Butler is

Maybe one or two of those are debatable, but when we're discussing the Bulls, that's the team we're talking about.

If they somehow shock the world, then I'll be happy to eat crow, tbh...

I think Rose coming back gives them a marketing meme, but he's been pretty horrible this season, even before getting hurt again.
Even though the team is stumbling into the Playoffs with injuries, I still expect an ECF appearance. It looks like they will run into the Conference #1 in the 2nd Round. If they push Cavs to 6 to 7 games, I will be satisfied.

ElNono
04-17-2015, 03:03 PM
- Have the Bulls been the top defensive team the past 3 seasons? Yes
- Are the Bulls a top 10 defensive team this season? No
- Have they not been playoffs disappointments for the past 10+ years, save a few seasons, when they still couldn't get it done? They were underdogs in most if not all those playoff loses
- Has Hinrich not been a playoff disappointment his entire career after his first two seasons? He's a backup PG
- Has Noah developed any decent offensive game in the past 8 seasons? He's a solid passer
- Isn't Pau the most talented, versatile player on that team? Butler is

The top defensive team in the past three seasons have been: Golden State, Indiana, Indiana.
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff

Hinrich will likely again get main ball-handling duties again looking at Rose's situation. Why should be expect anything different from him?

The answer to Noah is no, and Butler has a lot to prove after last season's playoffs...

Even though the team is stumbling into the Playoffs with injuries, I still expect an ECF appearance. It looks like they will run into the Conference #1 in the 2nd Round. If they push Cavs to 6 to 7 games, I will be satisfied.

Fair enough...

Double-Up
04-17-2015, 03:29 PM
This is the upset thread, not the "make easy calls on paper" thread. :lol

I call it like I see it. There's no upset to be made between the 2 teams. GS sweeps...

Franklin
04-17-2015, 10:00 PM
Mavs beating the Lockets ain't no upset at all, it's as solid as Newton's second law in your textbook tbh.

Clipper Nation
04-17-2015, 10:03 PM

MVPau: 2 alpha rings

Noah: career loser

Rose: careerless loser

beirmeistr
04-17-2015, 11:12 PM
spurs beat warriors, dallas beats houston, dallas beats memphis

4 beers might have affected my thinking though