PDA

View Full Version : death penalty: smh Oklahoma but wtf Utah

Blake
04-17-2015, 11:19 PM
" OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - Oklahoma may use nitrogen gas as an alternative execution method if the U.S. Supreme Court finds the state's lethal injection process unconstitutional or drugs are unavailable, under a bill Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin signed on Friday.

Oklahoma's adoption of nitrogen gas follows Utah's decision in March to reauthorize the use of firing squads for executions if lethal drugs are not available.

Fallin, a Republican, said she supports capital punishment and believes executions must be performed effectively and without cruelty.

"The bill I signed today gives the state of Oklahoma another death penalty option that meets that standard," Fallin said in a statement.

Oklahoma's three-drug method of capital punishment has been under scrutiny since a flawed execution last year in which an inmate's intravenous line was improperly placed by death chamber staff.

Clayton Lockett could be seen twisting on the gurney in the April 2014 execution. The execution was halted, but Lockett died about 45 minutes after it had started due to a buildup of lethal injection chemicals in his tissue......."

http://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-adopts-nitrogen-possible-execution-method-203753321.html

m>s
04-17-2015, 11:35 PM
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time?

Silver&Black
04-17-2015, 11:47 PM
And? What seems to be the problem Blake? Why the smh Oklahoma and wtf Utah thread title?

Blake
04-18-2015, 12:06 AM
And? What seems to be the problem Blake? Why the smh Oklahoma and wtf Utah thread title?

Oklahoma fucked up a lethal injection so Supreme Court is looking into it.

Utah is gonna go firing squad if the US Supreme Court determines lethal injection to be inhumane.

Firing squad.

Silver&Black
04-18-2015, 12:18 AM

Utah is gonna go firing squad if the US Supreme Court determines lethal injection to be inhumane.

Firing squad.

And....like I previously stated. What's the problem?

On Oklahoma: I could care less if some guy on Death Row suffered while he was being executed. I remember this when it happened....and guess what....I slept like a fucking baby that night.

On Utah: You know how cheap lead is right now? As a guy who melts lead once a month to reload bullets (friends with a guy at an auto shop....he gives me shit loads of lead for free)....sounds like a win/win to me? Say a guy in Utah shoots 10 people and kills them all....and gets the death penalty. Are you saying he can't suffer the same fate as his victims because that's "inhumane"? Fuck that...READY AIM FIRE!!!!!

baseline bum
04-18-2015, 12:18 AM

Firing squad.

What's wrong with a firing squad?

Strange Love
04-18-2015, 12:52 AM
And....like I previously stated. What's the problem?

On Oklahoma: I could care less if some guy on Death Row suffered while he was being executed. I remember this when it happened....and guess what....I slept like a fucking baby that night.

On Utah: You know how cheap lead is right now? As a guy who melts lead once a month to reload bullets (friends with a guy at an auto shop....he gives me shit loads of lead for free)....sounds like a win/win to me? Say a guy in Utah shoots 10 people and kills them all....and gets the death penalty. Are you saying he can't suffer the same fate as his victims because that's "inhumane"? Fuck that...READY AIM FIRE!!!!!

I think he meant because they always come off as too christian? Utah being mostly mormons and all.

Spur-Addict
04-18-2015, 08:36 AM
If we're worried about cost, we should just go back to old school beheadings. It's all the rage overseas.

mrsmaalox
04-18-2015, 10:11 AM
The reason Utah has always leaned towards firing squad is because of the strong Mormon influence. It's their belief that redemption requires bloodshed.

Blake
04-18-2015, 10:33 AM
I had no idea firing squad was being used in the united states.

Why a squad? Why not a machine? Or one dude shooting several bullets to the head?

Either way, death penalty is retarded.

Bender
04-18-2015, 10:34 AM
:tu
we never should have gone away from that

RD2191
04-18-2015, 10:34 AM
The reason Utah has always leaned towards firing squad is because of the strong Mormon influence. It's their belief that redemption requires bloodshed.
How do you know that?

RD2191
04-18-2015, 10:36 AM
I don't believe in the death penalty either. I think if a family member of the deceased wants the death penalty they should be the ones to pull the trigger.

JoeTait75
04-18-2015, 10:37 AM

Firing squad.

I thought Utah has always done the firing squad. That's how they executed Gary Gillmore.

Blake
04-18-2015, 10:44 AM
I thought Utah has always done the firing squad. That's how they executed Gary Gillmore.

Yeah i guess they have. Apparently they were the only ones. I had no idea.

do they do the blindfold and last cigarette and all that

Bender
04-18-2015, 10:47 AM
this is why I visit Spurstalk daily. I learn something new every day.

Stevie Johnson
04-18-2015, 10:51 AM
LOL Death Penalty

mrsmaalox
04-18-2015, 11:28 AM
How do you know that?

Because I've studied many religions. The Mormon principle of Blood Atonement was the reason for Utah's use of firing squad in the beginning but the modern church has distanced itself from it because their official stand on capital punishment neutral.

bigzak25
04-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Get a rope.

m>s
04-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Don't really see how it's anymore inhumane or something. You pretty much die instantly. On the other hand I've wondered if with lethal injection they don't sometimes just lie there paralyzed and suffocate to death while conscious. It's not like any survivors can tell us what it was like.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2015, 11:56 AM
To the list of great copy writers in advertising, add an unlikely name: Gary Gilmore.

Mr. Gilmore, the notorious spree-killer, uttered the words “Let’s do it” just before a firing squad executed him in Utah in 1977. Years later, the phrase became the inspiration for Nike’s “Just Do It” campaign....

Liz Dolan, a former marketing chief at Nike, says in the film that the origins of “Just Do It” were not widely known or acknowledged.

“That was not the version I heard when I arrived at Nike,” she said. “I’m sure they didn’t want anyone to really know.”

Dan Wieden, who first realized that a slight tweaking of Mr. Gilmore’s last words might make a good slogan for athletic gear, said the resonance of “Just Do It” was completely inadvertent and unforeseen.

“I like the ‘do it’ part of it,” Mr. Wieden, a co-founder of Wieden & Kennedy, says in the film, recalling the moment it dawned on him to use the phrase. “None of us really paid that much attention. We thought, ‘Yeah. That’d work,’ ” he says, adding, “People started reading things into it much more than sport.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/business/media/20adco.html?_r=4&ref=business&

RD2191
04-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Because I've studied many religions. The Mormon principle of Blood Atonement was the reason for Utah's use of firing squad in the beginning but the modern church has distanced itself from it because their official stand on capital punishment neutral.
Why do you study religions?

mrsmaalox
04-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Why do you study religions?

Because I study anything I am curious about.

cantthinkofanything
04-18-2015, 03:42 PM

The squad part. Just need one bullet. And the state could let the family of the deceased pull the trigger. Or auction o the right and give the money to the family. Whether one believes in the death squad or not, the waste in current methods seems ridiculous.

Aztecfan03
04-18-2015, 03:46 PM
The squad part. Just need one bullet. And the state could let the family of the deceased pull the trigger. Or auction o the right and give the money to the family. Whether one believes in the death squad or not, the waste in current methods seems ridiculous.

I thought firing squad just has 1 bullet but they just don't know which person's gun has the bullet.

cantthinkofanything
04-18-2015, 03:50 PM
I thought firing squad just has 1 bullet but they just don't know which person's gun has the bullet.

Hmmm. That doesn't sound right. How close would they all have to stand to ensure that the one bullet hit and killed him? I was thinking just have one person put the rifle right up next too their head. Through a box or something.

ChumpDumper
04-18-2015, 05:43 PM

I thought firing squad just has 1 bullet but they just don't know which person's gun has the bullet.No it's four shooters and one is said to have a blank, but eyewitness accounts have disputed this.

DMX7
04-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Well... if they must do it, then I support the use of a firing squad.

That is quite old school though.

CavsSuperFan
04-20-2015, 04:36 PM
How do you know that?

"Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed, for in the image of God He made man..."
Genesis 9:6