PDA

View Full Version : Playoff focus: Cojo

DrunkTXLabrat
04-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Cojo goes into restricted free agency this summer. I doubt he's retained by a qualifying offer. I also doubt the Spurs are going to be happy to dip into some of that Kawhi and Danny cap cash, to keep Cojo. Avery, Antonio, and George got replaced... even Tony has faced a lot of replacement speculation. At this point in Tony's career, his back up is a big deal. Mills is locked in for a bit. I think a midseason Cojo+ for Lavine deal is going to start sounding like a real nice woulda, coulda, shoulda. This is my i told you so thread. I'm posting it in anticipation of Cojo having a nice playoff run. Remember that statement dunk on the thunder? Yeah, i don't think that well is dry. And it's going to be a sobering cup of coffee for R.C.

wildbill2u
04-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Cojo has surprised me with his progress this year.

He's gone to school on Parker's knack for attacking the paint among the giants and getting away with it. I think he may have earned himself a spot on the bench via a negotiated deal. I don't think he has a better place to go to if he can stay here.

From the Spurs point of view, there aren't a lot of backup pgs out there that they could sign on a cheap negotiated deal and he knows the system. Breaking in a new pg is always a time consuming business.

Always possible we find a really good prospect in the draft, but if not, he's not a bad role player.

PingPong
04-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Only one PG without court vision is enough. He can be the 3rd stringer, for a cheap payment. If he turns costly, just let him go.

BackHome
04-18-2015, 06:25 PM
I agree the kid is still young and he seems like he would be OK with a decent contract. If the Spurs want him I think they sign him to a friendly contract with the prospect of him taking over Tony's spot in 2 to 3 years. If he leaves I think that would be stupid for him looking at staying in the NBA long term....He is in a perfect situation..

DrunkTXLabrat
04-20-2015, 01:34 AM
haven't seen the game yet. had to work tonight and couldn't record it at home. i'm gonna watch it tomorrow and give ya'll a drunken take about Cojo. I'll say this. from what i've heard about Tony tonight, Mills and Cojo are on deck.

ElNono
04-20-2015, 01:38 AM
Cojo was abused repeatedly trying to guard the pick and roll... Doc kept going at it over and over...

I like what he did during the season, but Paddy was just better tonight...

LongtimeSpursFan
04-20-2015, 01:52 AM
We've seen enough of Joseph to realize he ceiling is that of a back up point guard. Other than being a pesky defender his contributions to team are severely limited. I thought he was going to make a jump in progress after year one but it never continued to develop.

UZER
04-20-2015, 01:55 AM
Cojo was abused repeatedly trying to guard the pick and roll... Doc kept going at it over and over...

I like what he did during the season, but Paddy was just better tonight...

although patty is not as strong as cojo, he's just really disruptive to players handling the ball before they even get to the pick n roll. Sometimes it forces then to go away from it.

ChumpDumper
04-20-2015, 01:56 AM
although patty is not as strong as cojo, he's just really disruptive to players handling the ball before they even get to the pick n roll.Yeah, his halfcourt D isn't good but he can put pressure on his cover early.

TheGreatYacht
04-20-2015, 02:07 AM
He's just dog shit. Plain and simple

ElNono
04-20-2015, 02:26 AM
although patty is not as strong as cojo, he's just really disruptive to players handling the ball before they even get to the pick n roll. Sometimes it forces then to go away from it.

I feel Cojo is better fighting through screens, but you just can't beat Patty's offensive prowess when he's hitting.

Also credit to Doc, they ran two screen pick and roll setups, and Cojo inevitably trailed and was late on the pass. If he can't be a factor defensively, I rather have Patty chucking 3s, tbh...

benfti
04-20-2015, 04:30 AM
is Patty back? That's 3 games in the last 4 we have seen old school Patty?

Gervin44Silas13
04-20-2015, 06:43 AM
his defense sucks balls............................pure matador defense

downunder
04-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Pop relies on the big three . If they are not firing then Spurs lose. The rest don't matter. He will rotate others around the big three and they can turn a game but if Parker Duncan and Ginobli are having troubles he will persist with them but he will not persist with the others. He is not disposed to use Mills but may have to if Parker doesn't fire because of injury. I think that this season has shown the big three are getting old and slow and that NBA is a young man's game.

TheGreatYacht
04-20-2015, 11:07 PM
This faggot doesn't get enough of the blame for yesterday

Johnny RIngo
04-21-2015, 12:54 AM
He's not a good fit for this team, especially on the bench. He's only useful if you're playing him in place of Parker with the starters. As long as Parker's healthy, there's no use for him though.

DrunkTXLabrat
04-21-2015, 03:04 PM
i watched the game. i specifically focused on the Cojo minutes. Yes i expect Cojo to step up and do something big, in a game like this. And tbh, i think he tried. i did see him get a hand in there and cause a loose ball on the defensive end. i don't think he was terrible against CP3. The clippers are good, and CP3 is one of the best point guards... i think we can excuse CP3 landing a shot or two. I think the biggest problem was not being able to go "blow for blow." Cojo got overlooked on offense. The Spurs weren't trusting each other to be able to step up, on offense. Cory tried to force it and bumbled with the pass to Baynes for the Barnes incident. The bumble was as much out of sync Spurs, as it was forcing it Cory. I give Cojo an Incomplete for the game. This game was all Spurs lose. They're playing a ballin squad, with a champ coach, in it's natural habitat. I expect the Spurs to make the adjustment of keeping calm and trusting each other. It's gonna steal game 2, and better nurture Cojo's drive.

TheGreatYacht
04-21-2015, 03:54 PM
i watched the game. i specifically focused on the Cojo minutes. Yes i expect Cojo to step up and do something big, in a game like this. And tbh, i think he tried. i did see him get a hand in there and cause a loose ball on the defensive end. i don't think he was terrible against CP3. The clippers are good, and CP3 is one of the best point guards... i think we can excuse CP3 landing a shot or two. I think the biggest problem was not being able to go "blow for blow." Cojo got overlooked on offense. The Spurs weren't trusting each other to be able to step up, on offense. Cory tried to force it and bumbled with the pass to Baynes for the Barnes incident. The bumble was as much out of sync Spurs, as it was forcing it Cory. I give Cojo an Incomplete for the game. This game was all Spurs lose. They're playing a ballin squad, with a champ coach, in it's natural habitat. I expect the Spurs to make the adjustment of keeping calm and trusting each other. It's gonna steal game 2, and better nurture Cojo's drive.
This.

UZER
04-21-2015, 04:27 PM

Cojo overlooks himself on offense.

littlecoyotecoin
04-21-2015, 05:55 PM

This. Appropriate thread title. The Ford Focus is a piece of shit. At least on offense, CJ is a piece of shit. I see what you did there submitter.

TheGreatYacht
04-21-2015, 07:27 PM

DrunkTXLabrat
04-23-2015, 02:55 AM
I think Cojo got a steal or a stop, but it was Pattys night.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-16-2016, 05:50 AM
lame and Durant, or Cojo and Tristan Thompson? Sometimes the ole college try is a bit too much. ... maybe try good ole international business as usual, even if it's a little young?