PDA

View Full Version : Aldrige is so soft, tbh...

ElNono
04-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Damn, I haven't seen ZBo bully somebody that badly in years, tbh.... he'll probably stat pad in whatever is left of the game, but still...

I know some guys wanted him on the Spurs next season, even to potentially replace Tim... I think the Spurs would be better served looking somewhere else, IMO...

look_at_g_shred
04-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Agreed

look_at_g_shred
04-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Anyway we can pry Henson from the bucks?

TheGreatYacht
04-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Eh. 16 points on 16 shots ain't really bullying IMO. I'll take whoever we can get in the offseason, I don't think we should nit pick who we sign and don't sign... Richard Jefferson was the closest we've gotten to a big time free agent lol

DPG21920
04-19-2015, 09:27 PM
I've been saying for a while, it would be a waste of money to get LA. He would probably do very well with Pop and in this offense (getting that shot that teams are giving Duncan because his jumper has been wayward for the past couple years), but he's just not a winner IMVHO.

ElNono
04-19-2015, 09:29 PM
I've been saying for a while, it would be a waste of money to get LA. He would probably do very well with Pop and in this offense (getting that shot that teams are giving Duncan because his jumper has been wayward for the past couple years), but he's just not a winner IMVHO.

I just don't see him really trying anywhere near as hard on defense. He also got blocked 4 times today, and has taken nearly 75% of Portland shots since the lead ballooned to 20+...

BatManu20
04-19-2015, 09:30 PM
If the Spurs were able to convince an All-Star like Aldridge to come to SA, you take it, tbh.... We're not getting any superstars to come here, despite how many some of the posters on this site like to convince themselves. He has his deficiencies, but you take a 23 & 10 guy in his prime any time you can get it, tbh.

MI21
04-19-2015, 09:31 PM
13/34 this game.. he and Lillard are a combined 18/55 :lol

I would welcome him on the Spurs though, they aren't going to do any better and I believe in this offense he would be pretty damn deadly, but I still do get a similar vibe to OP about his lack of toughness and he just doesn't seem like the type of guy that will come through when you really need it.

DPG21920
04-19-2015, 09:31 PM
If the Spurs were able to convince an All-Star like Aldridge to come to SA, you take it, tbh.... We're not getting any superstars to come here, despite how much some of the posters on this site like to convince themselves. He has his deficiencies, but you take a 20 & 10 guy in his prime any time you can get it, tbh.

He's not even a young guy. He's a finished product already that is very limited defensively and doesn't have a lot of toughness as a main cog on a playoff team. He's a really good player, but I'd rather look elsewhere.

ElNono
04-19-2015, 09:35 PM
I understand the "beggars can't be choosers" angle, tbh... I just think a team built around him would need a lot of very specific pieces to cover his flaws, especially defensively...

I agree with DPG that he's a pretty well known quantity at this point.

BatManu20
04-19-2015, 09:35 PM
13/34 this game.. he and Lillard are a combined 18/55 :lol

I would welcome him on the Spurs though, they aren't going to do any better and I believe in this offense he would be pretty damn deadly, but I still do get a similar vibe to OP about his lack of toughness and he just doesn't seem like the type of guy that will come through when you really need it.

Exactly. We're not going to get anyone better than Aldridge to come to SA, and if we could convince him, I'm pretty sure we'd jump all over it. He's asked to carry the load in Portland. He'd be a part of the system here, with some of the pressure taken off him. No doubt in my mind he'd be successful here. But, the point is likely mott, as I don't even think he considers us, tbh.

PingPong
04-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Nig made 32 points (13-34), 14 rebs, 4 blocks. Not bad for someone who got bullied, tbh. Lollard 5-21, 3 assists was far worse.

daslicer
04-19-2015, 10:22 PM
He's pretty much outmatched have to play 1 on 2 against ZBO and Gasol. Last year he burned the Rockets and nobody could check him. Back in '11 the Grizzlies made Duncan look washed up when he had only Blair,Dice,playing next to him. The Grizzlies are a tough team to match up with for any big especially when you have no other help next to you in the paint.

spurraider21
04-19-2015, 10:26 PM
he's got that al jefferson mentality

FlAVaK
04-19-2015, 10:33 PM
Richard Jefferson was the closest we've gotten to a big time free agent lol

What are you talking about? We traded for him!

CGD
04-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Think I'd pass too. I'm intrigued to see if Brook Lopez opts out of his player option this summer after finishing the year strong. Plus, why would he stay with the craptastic, no-draft pick for next 5 years having, DWill/Joe Johnson cap space choking Nets. He's another weak defender/strong offense guy, but with less mileage.

TheGreatYacht
04-19-2015, 10:41 PM
What are you talking about? We traded for him!
He signed an extension, and had to overpay at that

Johnny RIngo
04-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Not a fan personally. Extremely inefficient, especially in the playoffs. Career .508 TS% in the post-season - that's pretty bad. Then again, SA fans would probably love him as evidenced by the extreme popularity of Tony Parker - this city loves it's chuckers.

Darius McCrary
04-19-2015, 10:50 PM
He's always had trouble with physical players. Goes back to his elite 8 run with the Longhorns when he played against Big Baby.

FlAVaK
04-19-2015, 10:57 PM
He signed an extension, and had to overpay at that

I know that. But this was about signing FAs from other teams...

TheGreatYacht
04-19-2015, 11:00 PM
I know that. But this was about signing FAs from other teams...
He could've left if he wanted to, could he not? Again, Spurs don't lure in big time F/A's. So why be picky about it?

FlAVaK
04-19-2015, 11:08 PM
He could've left if he wanted to, could he not? Again, Spurs don't lure in big time F/A's. So why be picky about it?

Because RJ wasnīt even lured. Thatīs all...

ViceCity86
04-19-2015, 11:22 PM
The guy that's overrated is liliard.Middle of the pack PG.

spurraider21
04-19-2015, 11:26 PM
that's like saying every player we've ever re-signed was a free agent we lured

DMC
04-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Guys are paid too much for losing. It's like a government job in the NBA but with a lot more money. Once you're in and you have some skill, you don't have to win shit to get paid.

Johnny RIngo
04-20-2015, 04:12 AM
Aldridge/Parker would probably be the least efficient duo in NBA history. Not enough shots to go around for those two chuckers.

SPM
04-20-2015, 08:50 AM
He's going to Dallas

FkLA
04-20-2015, 08:58 AM
I've been saying it for a long time. That fadeaway 15 footer is a soft ass shot and its his go to move. Dirk is the only one that was good enough to lead an offense with it and Aldridge ain't no Dirk.

in2deep
04-20-2015, 09:13 AM
he's still >>>>> than any of our bigmen other than Duncan

goliath
04-20-2015, 12:44 PM
"Some Blazers players have already said they are worried free agency will take Aldridge away from Portland this summer," writes Quick. "Earlier this month, before a home game, a Blazers player estimated the chances of him returning to Portland at 50-50."

But one Blazers player cautioned that Aldridge already has enough money. Happiness is what he is truly seeking, and that could be found in being closer to family in Texas.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/04/trail_blazers_list_of_concerns_after_game_1_should .html

eDizzle20
04-20-2015, 12:56 PM
If Tim retires he's a no-brainer. Gasol is preferred, but it seems almost certain he'll stay in Memphis. LA settles for the midrange shot a little too much, but he does have a pretty decent low post game when he chooses to use it. Core of Kawhi, LA, and Parker is pretty good, and if they can get a second tier player that's great.

goliath
04-20-2015, 01:49 PM
And, as was posted in another Aldridge thread, Zach Lowe said on the bs report around the all star break that talk was it wasn't a given he was going to resign and that the Spurs were a legit threat to get him

Johnny RIngo
04-20-2015, 01:57 PM
If Tim retires he's a no-brainer. Gasol is preferred, but it seems almost certain he'll stay in Memphis. LA settles for the midrange shot a little too much, but he does have a pretty decent low post game when he chooses to use it. Core of Kawhi, LA, and Parker is pretty good, and if they can get a second tier player that's great.

There won't be enough shots to go around with Aldridge and Parker on the same team.

goliath
04-20-2015, 02:11 PM
It's sorta funny with people down playing Aldridge or saying they don't want/need him. With the Spurs track record (or lack thereof) of signing max level type free agents, if a top 15-20 player wants to sign you take him.

ElNono
04-20-2015, 02:16 PM
It's sorta funny with people down playing Aldridge or saying they don't want/need him. With the Spurs track record (or lack thereof) of signing max level type free agents, if a top 15-20 player wants to sign you take him.

We're spoiled, tbh... and would like to keep it that way, even though it's unrealistic.

I personally get the feeling that paying the max for Aldridge just kinda slams the door on contender status if Tim walks away. Then the question becomes, do we commit to this guy for 6 years to be playoff fodder or we tank and hope to luck out with something better? It's obviously difficult to tell.

Johnny RIngo
04-20-2015, 02:26 PM
We're spoiled, tbh... and would like to keep it that way, even though it's unrealistic.

I personally get the feeling that paying the max for Aldridge just kinda slams the door on contender status if Tim walks away. Then the question becomes, do we commit to this guy for 6 years to be playoff fodder or we tank and hope to luck out with something better? It's obviously difficult to tell.

Personally, I'd rather throw the max at Marc but it's looking like he's in Memphis for the long haul so it might not even be worth the effort. Like you said, I'm not too excited about a Aldridge-led Spur team but the alternative is probably worse.

goliath
04-20-2015, 02:37 PM
The problem with tanking is how bad will we be with khawi on the team? I don't see us being bad enough to get a superstar or even a player of Aldridges level. This team without Duncan and Manu is probably in the worse possible place of a team to be in, the 7-10 range in the west. Not good enough to contend not bad enough to get a high pick.

Outlier
04-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Personally, I'd rather throw the max at Marc but it's looking like he's in Memphis for the long haul so it might not even be worth the effort. Like you said, I'm not too excited about a Aldridge-led Spur team but the alternative is probably worse.

It will be Kawhi led.

1. Kawhi
2. Aldridge
3. Parker

As your core with role players Splitter, Green, Diaw, Mills, Joseph

Looks good to me.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-20-2015, 02:49 PM
What the hell happened to Lillard? He used to be amazing.

BatManu20
04-20-2015, 02:56 PM
The problem with tanking is how bad will we be with khawi on the team? I don't see us being bad enough to get a superstar or even a player of Aldridges level. This team without Duncan and Manu is probably in the worse possible place of a team to be in, the 7-10 range in the west. Not good enough to contend not bad enough to get a high pick.

This. Spurs aren't going to tank with a player like Kawhi on the team, and after two decades of creating and sustaining a winning culture. We'll likely replace Tim and Manu with solid role players via draft or free Agency and continuehttp://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/) to use team ball to win games, and with the drop-off in talent, we'll likely for the next few years be just good enough to make the playoffs in one of the last 4 seeds (which is NBA purgatory/the worst position you can be in tbh), but that's likely the route we go. We don't really have a lot of options tbh. I don't see us tanking at all.

Beaverfuzz
04-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Damn, I haven't seen ZBo bully somebody that badly in years, tbh.... he'll probably stat pad in whatever is left of the game, but still...

I know some guys wanted him on the Spurs next season, even to potentially replace Tim... I think the Spurs would be better served looking somewhere else, IMO...

Agreed, Aldridge still has no post up game. No thank you to him being the #1 option for the Spurs.

Beaverfuzz
04-20-2015, 03:22 PM
What the hell happened to Lillard? He used to be amazing.

Kid can ball but his defense is really really shoddy. Parker and a few other PG's can complain that their defense has fallen off due to age, weight, etc...Lillard has no excuse.

boutons_deux
04-20-2015, 04:34 PM
LaMarcus Aldridge: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation Surrounding Star PF

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2436492-lamarcus-aldridge-latest-news-rumors-and-speculation-surrounding-star-pf?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nba

Malik Hairston
04-20-2015, 04:36 PM
:lol retooling to contend when youre paying 14 mil per year for an average, aging PG..

Robz4000
04-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Aldridge would be 1a alongside Kawhi tbh, and if Enrique takes over the Manu role and the Spurs roll out a lineup of Patty/Green/Kawhi/Aldridge/Splitter or Timmy they'd still be contenders.