PDA

View Full Version : Player Pairs Analysis - 2014-15 Regular Season

rasuo214
04-20-2015, 05:37 PM
I did this about a little more than a month ago and figured I'd update it now that the regular season is over (I intended to do this before the playoffs started but didn't have the time), if you're interested in what the numbers were previously: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245295

Description for those that don't already know what numbers are all about:

These Player Pairs statistics take a look at how the Spurs perform when various possible tandems are on the court at the same time. The numbers in the cells correspond to the tandem comprised of the name in the column and the name in the row. For example, as you can see below, the Spurs outscore their opponents by 9.6 points per 100 possessions when Duncan is on the court with Green.

Players are listed in the same order as I had them last time I did this.

Green: The player in the column improved the impact of the player in the row.
Red: The player in the column worsened the impact of the player in the row.
Blue: The player in the column had neither a positive or negative impact on the player in the row.

http://i.imgur.com/r8mJsYx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/On2qSSO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CncqAoX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1DMxlvo.jpg

Difference between Point differential and Net Pairing. In the first Chart we seen Green improves everyone, so why does he have some negative net pairings? Basically the difference is in Point differential if the points per 100 possession is higher than his paired teammate then Green is having a positive impact (examples: Duncan is +6.8 with Green Duncan is +9.6, Diaw is +7.3 with Green Diaw is +9.5 etc.)

In Net Pairing it looks at the impact that both players have on one another, so while Green's teammates play better with him on the floor, Green doesn't necessarily play better in certain pairings (Parker, Joseph, Belinelli, Baynes, Bonner). So Net Pairing looks at whether the pairing is a net positive or negative.

Example: Green and Parker, Green has a positive impact on Parker but Parker has a negative impact on Green. Combined they are still a net positive by +0.7 points per 100 possessions, individually Green is +9.3 and Parker is +5.6, so combined you would expect at least +14.9 (9.3+5.6). Green with Parker is a +7.8 (so while this is lower than Green's +9.3) combined Green and Parker are a +15.6 (7.8+7.8) which is 0.7 points more than their combined individual base (15.6-14.9).

Best Pairs:
Splitter with Kawhi or Bonner - Splitter is one of the Spurs offensive stars but he has done best when playing with Bonner, by far the best offensive pairing on the team. Kawhi and Splitter are the 2nd best offensive pair on the team but they are also a good defensive pairing.
Patty with Parker or Duncan - Patty and Parker are a great pairing, not only is Parker at his best offensively with Patty, he's at his best defensively as well. Duncan's best defensive pairing is with Patty as well and they aren't a bad offensive duo as well.
Manu with CoJo - Surprisingly they are eachother's best offensive pairing but they also aren't a bad defensive pair.

Pop please stop playing these guys together:
Belinelli with Bonner or Splitter - Bonner and Belinelli are a defensive disaster, worst on the team, and they don't even improve each other offensively to offset it. Splitter with Marco is his worst offensive and defensive pairing, it's also Marco's worst offensive pairing.
Bonner with Diaw - You would probably think defense was their biggest issue but they are the worst offensive pairing on the team.

Offensive Stars: Splitter, Kawhi, Danny and Parker
Defensive Stars: Patty, Manu, and Kawhi

Tony Parker - It's been a rough year for Tony but he has stepped it up in the stretch. He has improved offensively and defensively every time I've done one of these, unfortunately he had a rough start so he still has a lot of red.
Kawhi Leonard - Only Spur that has a positive net pairing with all of his teammates and 1 of only 2 Spurs, Danny Green being the other, who improves the play of all of his teammates.

loveforthegame
04-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Really appreciate these posts. Thanks for putting it together. :tu

Malik Hairston
04-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the numbers, tbh..

ElNono
04-20-2015, 07:11 PM

FkLA
04-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Good stuff.

Looks like it's safe to say Belli, Bonner and Enrique are the biggest cancers on the team tbh.

spurraider21
04-20-2015, 07:24 PM
parker's defense is beyond atrocious.

good numbers

RD2191
04-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Good stuff.

Looks like it's safe to say Belli, Bonner and Enrique are the biggest cancers on the team tbh.

DPG21920
04-20-2015, 07:31 PM
It goes to show you how wildly important Splitter is - especially against the Clippers. I know Blake has had success even with Splitter, but there is no denying Splitters impact on both ends. Let's hope he gets back to functioning normally.