PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lowe: Last Ride of the Spurs Dynasty (Picks Spurs in 7)

Amuseddaysleeper
04-21-2015, 10:51 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-last-ride-of-the-spurs-dynasty/

Great article and Lowe shares his thoughts on the Spurs/Clippers series.

Darius McCrary
04-21-2015, 11:03 AM
All it comes down to is splitter getting hurt meant we should have tried everything in our power to beat the pelicans.
Made this bed now have to lay in it

davidbowie
04-21-2015, 11:06 AM
http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-11/1/17/enhanced/webdr01/anigif_longform-original-5298-1414876388-15.gif

RIP BIG 3 ERA....LETS GO!!!!!

crc21209
04-21-2015, 12:14 PM
My favorite piece of the article:

"But there are nights — and this sounds crazy, but I swear it’s true — when the Green/Leonard combination feels almost like the foundation of the Spurs.Leonard is the star, as he was when the two combined for 44 points in the Spurs’ shellacking of Golden State earlier this month, but their singular powers combine into something greater — an NBA wing Voltron. All that shooting and defense at positions (especially in Green’s case) where talent is scarce — you don’t trifle with that."

crc21209
04-21-2015, 12:15 PM
I really really hope Leonard and Green are here together for years to come. Both of them on the perimeter are terrors for the opposing teams when used often and used correctly...

spurs10
04-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Good article. We know their game plan, time to adjust ours. :flag:

CGD
04-21-2015, 12:46 PM
My favorite piece of the article:

"But there are nights — and this sounds crazy, but I swear it’s true — when the Green/Leonard combination feels almost like the foundation of the Spurs.Leonard is the star, as he was when the two combined for 44 points in the Spurs’ shellacking of Golden State earlier this month, but their singular powers combine into something greater — an NBA wing Voltron. All that shooting and defense at positions (especially in Green’s case) where talent is scarce — you don’t trifle with that."

So true; toss in Tiago and that's a solid core. Need to hit on a PF free agent/trade and they're good until Tony slows down.

Spur|n|Austin
04-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Another great article by Lowe. I'd rather Spurs in 6 but whatever it takes!

:flag:

ElNono
04-21-2015, 02:03 PM
After reading the section on Danny Green...

Zach Lowe = Chinook? :lol

apalisoc_9
04-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Two years ago I said danny and kawhi are really the foundation of the team. Tiago-Kawhi-Danny is really the system. the defense and offense revolves the most around them. I don't know why this is so hard to accept. As it stands, Danny Green is probably the most important offensive piexe. Weird as might that sound and Tiago is the most valuable defensive piece.

Skull-1
04-21-2015, 02:06 PM
All it comes down to is splitter getting hurt meant we should have tried everything in our power to beat the pelicans.

82 is the new 6

cantthinkofanything
04-21-2015, 02:07 PM

Beat the fucking Knicks and we could have gone easy in New Orleans.

Chinook
04-21-2015, 02:28 PM
After reading the section on Danny Green...

Zach Lowe = Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557)? :lol

At work, and still in mourning. Haven't read the article. What happened?

SpurPadre
04-21-2015, 05:08 PM
I disagree with him saying these Clips are the "strongest first-round opponent" we've faced in the TD era. I'd give that distinction to the Grizzlies

Uriel
04-21-2015, 07:45 PM
I can't find the part where he says "Spurs in 7."

ElNono
04-21-2015, 07:51 PM
At work, and still in mourning. Haven't read the article. What happened?

Good praise on Danny. Check it out when you have a min.

ElNono
04-21-2015, 07:52 PM
I can't find the part where he says "Spurs in 7."

Red square #2 in the article.

DMC
04-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Wonder how many times this piece has been written in the past however many years only to be balled up and trashed when the Spurs pushed on past the nonsense?

K...
04-21-2015, 07:58 PM
And yet we beat that same griz team handily since thanks to splitter. So maybe that spurs team was weaker, making griz look stronger.

Here's a numerical metaphor

10 (clippers) > 8(2015 spurs)

6 (griz) > 3(2011)

10>6

Spurs 4 The Win
04-21-2015, 08:06 PM
Wonder how many times this piece has been written in the past however many years only to be balled up and trashed when the Spurs pushed on past the nonsense?

I remember seeing articles like this every year since 2009. Its really quite sad. I dont see any reason why, if we have the same roster, we wouldnt be hungrier and rested and come back again next year and contend for a title.

DMC
04-21-2015, 08:10 PM
I remember seeing articles like this every year since 2009. Its really quite sad. I dont see any reason why, if we have the same roster, we wouldnt be hungrier and rested and come back again next year and contend for a title.
Same reason Shaq and Kobe can't come back rested and contend for a title. People get older. It's not just a season reset. Players aren't going to give up money for the "cause" forever. Eventually guys who've help us get there want to be paid for it. It's a business after all.

RD2191
04-21-2015, 08:11 PM
One will eventually be right. Can't play forever.

Spur|n|Austin
04-21-2015, 08:17 PM

marinoman
04-21-2015, 08:22 PM
My problem with Lowe is he looks like an 8 year old boy. Get a new barber, use gel, do something motherfucker God damn

DMC
04-21-2015, 08:47 PM
My problem with Lowe is he looks like an 8 year old boy. Get a new barber, use gel, do something motherfucker God damn
Careful, someone here might want to fuck him.

phxspurfan
04-21-2015, 10:04 PM

If we beat the Pels we would be getting shat on by the Mavs. TBH Clips is a better matchup than the Mavs.

adonis827
04-22-2015, 12:41 AM
I would take the mavs with homecourt until the west finals than the clippers with none. Seeing as how Hou is beating the mavs now.

Malik Hairston
04-22-2015, 12:46 AM
:lol The Mavs? What the fuck? They're fucking terrible, tbh..

BillMc
04-22-2015, 12:54 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-last-ride-of-the-spurs-dynasty/

Great article and Lowe shares his thoughts on the Spurs/Clippers series.

Good read. Thanks for posting. :toast

Sean Cagney
04-22-2015, 01:45 AM
Two years ago I said danny and kawhi are really the foundation of the team. Tiago-Kawhi-Danny is really the system. the defense and offense revolves the most around them. I don't know why this is so hard to accept. As it stands, Danny Green is probably the most important offensive piexe. Weird as might that sound and Tiago is the most valuable defensive piece.

TBH you are right but Tim still has a little role on the team as well on both sides of things. Manu still the leader off the bench, other than that this is dead on.
:lol The Mavs? What the fuck? They're fucking terrible, tbh..I think he meant the Spurs with the HC until the West finals and #2 seed playing the Mavs right now rather than the Clippers as we are right now as the 6th.

KaiRMD1
04-22-2015, 07:55 AM

But then we play dallas with baynes guarding dirk? We'd still be screwed

Malik Hairston
04-22-2015, 07:57 AM
But then we play dallas with baynes guarding dirk? We'd still be screwed

:lol Have you seen Dirk lately?

The Mavs lost Parsons, Ellis has 1 foot out of the door, and they have arguably the biggest cancer in the NBA(Rondo) on their team..

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-22-2015, 07:59 AM
Beat the fucking Knicks and we could have gone easy in New Orleans.

The worse was the collapse against the Pistons. Up by 8 with 1:30 to go and proceed to miss 7 of 9 fta. That was that game that really stood out to me. It made 6 look like a minor collapse.

Malik Hairston
04-22-2015, 08:00 AM
The worse was the collapse against the Pistons. Up by 8 with 1:30 to go and proceed to miss 7 of 9 fta. That was that game that really stood out to me. It made 6 look like a minor collapse.

Not to mention Tim throwing the ball away and Jennings making a buzzer-beater:lol..

Brazil
04-22-2015, 08:04 AM
Make me think at this kind of article

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/shaun_powell/04/21/spurs-legacy-extends-beyond-san-antonio/index.html?ls=nbahpsplit2

"In due time, however, the bill for the good fortune to be blessed with three decades of Robinson followed by Duncan will come due. When that happens, no need to worry, the greatness and aura of the Spurs will still be very evident. Maybe just not in San Antonio."

They are saying dat shit since forever, they never learn which is the worst disease possible. I, for one, will never bury this team and organization untill I see it... For the moment on Spurs actual top 4 players: Kawhi, Danny, Tiago and Tim, only Tim is old, Tiago will give us some good years, Danny and Kawhi have time to keep this franchise relevant for a while.

SpursFan86
04-22-2015, 08:10 AM

The Mavs lost Parsons, Ellis has 1 foot out of the door, and they have arguably the biggest cancer in the NBA(Rondo) on their team..

He got benched after 10 minutes last night...Apparently he left the locker room after the game without saying a word to anyone :lol

Still can't believe they gave up 2 solid pieces in Crowder/Wright for him. I know Cuban is desperate to surround Dirk with enough talent to win, but what a stupid risk. Rondo hasn't been decent since what, 2012? He's been terrible ever since the ACL injury. The fact they traded away 3 rotation players for him is hilarious, and I still can't believe there were people who thought it would push them over the top.

With Josh Smith, it was at least a low risk move. Houston didn't have to give anything up, and Smith is just a bench role player. If he played like he did in Detroit, it wouldn't have been a big loss. Just don't give him minutes and continue on with the team you already had.

Horry Hipcheck
04-22-2015, 08:15 AM
My favorite part.

And poor Aron Baynes. Poor, poor Aron Baynes. We can take solace in the fact that he lived a full life. He’s just not as good, at anything, as Tiago Splitter. He’s not as quick reading the floor on defense, and was late on several rotations — including on those that led to his eventual death at the hands of Blake Griffin.

:lmao

SpursFan86
04-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Make me think at this kind of article

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/shaun_powell/04/21/spurs-legacy-extends-beyond-san-antonio/index.html?ls=nbahpsplit2

"In due time, however, the bill for the good fortune to be blessed with three decades of Robinson followed by Duncan will come due. When that happens, no need to worry, the greatness and aura of the Spurs will still be very evident. Maybe just not in San Antonio."

They are saying dat shit since forever, they never learn which is the worst disease possible. I, for one, will never bury this team and organization untill I see it... For the moment on Spurs actual top 4 players: Kawhi, Danny, Tiago and Tim, only Tim is old, Tiago will give us some good years, Danny and Kawhi have time to keep this franchise relevant for a while.

Yeah this might just be me being a homer, but I really feel like we can "retool" rather than rebuild completely.

Kawhi is already a borderline top 10 player and is still only 23. Splitter, when healthy (which is admittedly a concern going forward), is one of the best defensive bigs in the league and also one of the best PnR bigs on offense. Green is right up there with Wes Matthews as the best 3 and D guy in the league, and he's shown signs of expanding his game. Parker is obviously a concern, but hopefully he can adjust to his new role and transition into being more of a playmaker. Diaw is one of the best bench bigs in the league and will likely remain effective for at least a few more years. Mills was arguably the best backup PG in the league last year...he had an off year this year, but hopefully we'll see a return to form. It looks unlikely that we'll keep CoJo, but if we do, he's another solid piece. Baynes is great as a 4th big.

Then there's Pop, who signed a 5-year deal this past offseason. He most likely won't stay for the entirety of that contract, but he'll at least be here through 2017 IMO.

Even if Tim and Manu retire and we don't replace them with anyone great, we'd still be relevant. If we somehow manage to strike gold in the draft or land a big name FA (:lol), we could be in position to contend for a title.

KaiRMD1
04-22-2015, 12:36 PM

But against the Spurs, everybody is on fire

Skull-1
04-22-2015, 02:03 PM
I disagree with him saying these Clips are the "strongest first-round opponent" we've faced in the TD era. I'd give that distinction to the Grizzlies

Not even. We lost that series because Manu was playing with a broken arm and TP couldn't even bring the ball up court without getting it stolen. It was a reduced strength choke job, nothing more.