PDA

View Full Version : Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Pages : [1] 2

Ditty
04-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Sorry if it has been posted somewhere else. Something to get us through the day, except bitching like a five year old girl about Parker & Leonard all day.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/21/report-spurs-might-get-a-free-agent-meeting-with-lamarcus-aldridge/

LaMarcus Aldridge (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1249/lamarcus-aldridge) is one of the more high-profile players who will hit the market as an unrestricted free agent this summer, and reports continue to emerge that he may be one of the few max guys who would actually consider bolting his current situation on order to play somewhere else.
One said Aldridge was more likely to leave than people realize (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/17/rumor-lamarcus-aldridge-more-likely-to-leave-trail-blazers-in-free-agency-than-people-realize/), while another quoted an anonymous teammate in estimating the chances of him returning to Portland are 50-50 (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/report-one-trail-blazers-player-gives-lamarcus-aldridge-just-50-50-chance-of-re-signing/), at best.
If Aldridge does look around to see where the grass might be greener, he’d be hard-pressed to find a more appealing option than the one which may be available to him in San Antonio with the Spurs.
From Zach Lowe of Grantland (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-last-ride-of-the-spurs-dynasty/):

The Spurs accepted that risk because waiting to bump up Leonard’s salary gives them the chance to dangle max cap space in front of Marc Gasol (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1418/marc-gasol) and LaMarcus Aldridge this summer. Neither is a good bet to leave his current team, but sources around the league have been saying for weeks that the Spurs might get a hearing with Aldridge — and that was before the Oregonian reported (http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/04/trail_blazers_list_of_concerns_after_game_1_should .html) that at least one Blazers player thinks there is only a 50-50 chance that Aldridge stays in Portland.
(And no, I wouldn’t take that as gospel, either. Aldridge said before the season that he wants to be the greatest Blazer ever.)
Marc Gasol has similarly been linked to the Spurs (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/19/report-marc-gasol-would-be-spurs-top-target-if-duncan-and-ginobili-retire/), but his connection to Memphis seems strong enough to where his leaving in free agency seems like a long shot.
With Aldridge, though, the rumblings are probably there for a reason. We won’t know exactly how serious things are until Portland’s season has come to a close, but you’d have to believe a first-round playoff exit at the hands of Gasol’s Grizzlies would have him ready to, at the very least, strongly consider his options.

CGD
04-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Of those two, LA has to be the one most likely to leave especially if the Blazers get bounced early. Not a huge fan personally, but obviously he's good and would keep the team in contention until Tony starts to meaningfully slow down.

Gasol won't go, but I'm very interested to see what Lopez does this summer.

$pursDynasty
04-21-2015, 01:31 PM
can you imagine the back to back NBA champs bringing back Kiwi, Verde and adding LA? Cancel Christmas (plus Timmy returning with a team friendly deal), getting him would make people forget about TSpense and missing out on Pau.

Beaverfuzz
04-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Just say no to LMA. Gasol is a much better option.

SpursFan86
04-21-2015, 01:44 PM

LMA is a better fit next to Splitter...he's an excellent mid-range shooter and has even shown signs of developing a 3-point shot this year. He's also a few years younger than Gasol IIRC.

I really don't see any way Gasol leaves Memphis. LMA is a somewhat realistic (albeit still a long shot) option, since apparently he wants to get back to Texas so he can be closer to family.

BatManu20
04-21-2015, 01:48 PM

Gasol's not coming to SA though. Aldridge probably isn't either, but if you're playing the odds game, we'd have a much better chance at luring Aldridge.

benefactor
04-21-2015, 01:50 PM
:lol Aldridge
:lol soft jump shooting big
:lol Spurs if they offer him the max

dabom
04-21-2015, 01:50 PM
I'd take LA over marc tbh. It's what the team needs.

benefactor
04-21-2015, 01:51 PM
:lol Aldridge
:lol soft jump shooting big
:lol Spurs if they offer him the max

The Reckoning
spurs fans still thinking they'll land a big named free agent :lol

Malik Hairston
Aldridge is pretty overrated and soft, but it's San Antonio, if you can get a talent like that, you take him, tbh..

He's a good character guy and he plays team ball, too..he's also a competent defender, not great, but far from a liability..

It's not like he's a cancerous player that you're taking a chance on like a Monta Ellis..

apalisoc_9
04-21-2015, 01:53 PM
I don't like aldridge..But maybe the perfect space provider alongside Kawhi..I don't know.

Blake
04-21-2015, 01:54 PM
If it's rumored that he's coming then we can forget it

Malik Hairston
04-21-2015, 01:55 PM
More importantly, he has discussed working on a 3-point shot for the past 2 seasons, and he's been taking them more frequently IIRC..on a podcast I heard during the off-season, he said that was his main priority going forward, expanding his shot to the 3-point line..

The Spurs have the best shooting coach in the league, perfect opportunity to open a new door for Aldridge, and potentially prolong his effectiveness..

Beaverfuzz
04-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Gasol's not coming to SA though. Aldridge probably isn't either, but if you're playing the odds game, we'd have a much better chance at luring Aldridge.

Throw money at someone else, LMA isn't worth the coin.

Blizzardwizard
04-21-2015, 01:56 PM
100 pages incoming.

Waiting for Tspence to confirm SA's interest.

Beaverfuzz
04-21-2015, 01:56 PM
More importantly, he has discussed working on a 3-point shot for the past 2 seasons, and he's been taking them more frequently IIRC..on a podcast I heard during the off-season, he said that was his main priority going forward, expanding his shot to the 3-point line..

The Spurs have the best shooting coach in the league, perfect opportunity to open a new door for Aldridge, and potentially prolong his effectiveness..

LMA will never be truly great until he develops an inside game. Going out further and further just exposes his weaknesses even more. But I guess if you get paid max money, it doesn't really matter what you do.

Chomag
04-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Allot here seem to think every NBA player outside of the Spurs are scrubs. The dude is an All-Star if you have a chance at getting him you go try to get him. I agree that Gasol would be nice but he isn't leaving Memphis, both he and the team seem to want to stay.

Stabula
04-21-2015, 02:33 PM
He would be good next to Splitter but I'm worried that Splitter's injuries aren't limited to just this season...

cjw
04-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Chime the typical "Spurs never get any free agents", with people forgetting they never have cap space and have a pretty deep roster (read: not as many minutes to go around).

Lowe laid it out on Grantland today, but Spurs would have around $15 million including Green's QO. By renouncing CoJo, I get to $18 million which is still only 27.3% of the projected cap of $67.1mm. Both guys would be entitled to deals worth 30% of the cap, so would need to take a $3 million discount on year 1 salary. That's what makes this scenario unlikely.

While I'd love LMA or Gasol, I'm fine getting the next tier of guys on good deals if they avail themselves. The team would be pretty barren if using cap space to sign a big FA and would have to go with minimum salaries etc. to fill out the roster. If Duncan or Ginobili come back (I think Manu does as he'll go out post-Olympics), cap space is probably in the $8 million range assuming VERY team friendly deals, so not even much more than the MLE.

Player

2015/16
#
Notes

Parker

Splitter

Diaw

Mills

Leonard

Joseph

Anderson

Subtotal

First round pick

Renounce Joseph
(3,202)

Green cap hold
(190% of prior year)

Minimum salary holds
(4 players @ $525k - 13th player would be theoretical FA)

Subtotal

Projected Cap

Cap space

% of cap
27.3%

cjw
04-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Adding to prior post, the team might be best served keeping the house in order next year and even with Kawhi under a max contract ($18mm in 2016-17) and Green at $8-$10mm per year, they would have $24-$26mm of cap space that season. Can really fill out a nice roster with that amount of money, plus may be able to bring some of the prospects over if they're ever healthy and materialize. The FO knows these different iterations much better than any of us.

TheGreatYacht
04-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Only player the Spurs should max, tbh..

baseline bum
04-21-2015, 04:17 PM
I'd much rather have Duncan return for another year.

xtremesteven33
04-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Would Tim be cool with playing Center?

DPG21920
04-21-2015, 04:19 PM

Xevious
04-21-2015, 04:37 PM

He was playing PF when Bonner started next to him? Duncan has been playing both positions his entire career... whatever he choses to call himself is irrelevant.

r0drig0lac
04-21-2015, 04:43 PM
LMA would be the best choice

DrunkTXLabrat
04-21-2015, 04:48 PM
the only big name free agents i want the spurs to go after are restricted ones. Draymond Green! Tristan Thompson! get them, or drive that cost up!

TD 21
04-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Aldridge is pretty overrated and soft, but it's San Antonio, if you can get a talent like that, you take him, tbh..

He's a good character guy and he plays team ball, too..he's also a competent defender, not great, but far from a liability..

It's not like he's a cancerous player that you're taking a chance on like a Monta Ellis..

Overrated? Sure, a few people in the past couple of years have claimed he's the best PF in the game, but that's never been the general consensus. He's widely regarded as a top 15 player and I don't see an argument for that not being the case.

Despite this fan bases' propensity for picking apart damn near every player, as you alluded to, there's no chance of doing any better than him. In fact, even getting someone a tier under him should be viewed as a win.

Chime the typical "Spurs never get any free agents", with people forgetting they never have cap space and have a pretty deep roster (read: not as many minutes to go around).

Lowe laid it out on Grantland today, but Spurs would have around $15 million including Green's QO. By renouncing CoJo, I get to $18 million which is still only 27.3% of the projected cap of $67.1mm. Both guys would be entitled to deals worth 30% of the cap, so would need to take a $3 million discount on year 1 salary. That's what makes this scenario unlikely.

While I'd love LMA or Gasol, I'm fine getting the next tier of guys on good deals if they avail themselves. The team would be pretty barren if using cap space to sign a big FA and would have to go with minimum salaries etc. to fill out the roster. If Duncan or Ginobili come back (I think Manu does as he'll go out post-Olympics), cap space is probably in the $8 million range assuming VERY team friendly deals, so not even much more than the MLE.

Player
2015/16
#
Notes

Parker

Splitter

Diaw

Mills

Leonard

Joseph

Anderson

Subtotal

First round pick

Renounce Joseph
(3,202)

Green cap hold
(190% of prior year)

Minimum salary holds
(4 players @ $525k - 13th player would be theoretical FA)

Subtotal

Projected Cap

Cap space

% of cap
27.3%

He wouldn't take a cent below the max, nor would they need him to. We're talking about one of the 15 best players in the league, in his prime and he'd be as close as realistically possible to a perfect fit for this team. As much as I like Diaw and Mills, if one of them has to go to accommodate a player of this magnitude, so be it.

The key would be retaining Green. Clearly, the bench would have to be re-built, but a Parker-Green-Leonard-Aldridge-Splitter starting five would give them a puncher's chance at remaining in contention.

:lol He's been defending C's almost exclusively since '06-'07.

Malik Hairston
04-21-2015, 05:33 PM
That Parker contract really puts a damper on my hope for the next few years, tbh..

dabom
04-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Keep Duncan and drop splitter

Seventyniner
04-21-2015, 05:44 PM
That Parker contract really puts a damper on my hope for the next few years, tbh..

Next year is the only year it will have a big impact. With the cap skyrocketing, Parker's money takes up a smaller percentage, which is what max contracts are based on. He'll still be overpaid but not by as much.

If the above calculations are correct, the Spurs are a Joseph salary-dump away from max space even with keeping Green's cap hold (and thus Bird rights). With enough sweeteners, a team with a little cap space looking to roll that cap space into 2016 should be willing to take a year of Joseph.

A max contract next summer starting around $20M could very well be a bargain in two years with a $108M cap. I would happily give LMA the 2015 max. Players of his caliber are hard to come by and the salary as a percentage of the cap will actually go down in the 2nd and 3rd years of his deal.

Seventyniner
04-21-2015, 05:46 PM
In fact, if the Spurs can get LMA on a 2015 max deal, max out Kawhi, and get Green to take around $55M over 5 years, the Spurs could have another max slot in 2017, assuming they don't give out any more big long-term deals before then.

Ignignokt
04-21-2015, 05:51 PM
If it's rumored that he's coming then we can forget it...... my wife will offer him a "welcoming party" which means we'll have to kick out Jamaal. A new buck, sweeeeettt! I hope we get frow tickets for each game.

RD2191
04-21-2015, 06:01 PM
:lmao

Kool Bob Love
04-21-2015, 06:03 PM

rasuo214
04-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Spurs will need a rim protector to replace Timmy especially if they plan on keeping Splitter. So wouldn't really be a fan of signing Aldridge.

Big Empty
04-21-2015, 06:20 PM
keep duncan sign Greg Monroe or DeAndre Jordan

Sean Cagney
04-21-2015, 06:25 PM
spurs fans still thinking they'll land a big named free agent :lol
This is true, those saying they don't like Aldridge or don't offer him the max need not worry because he is not going to sign in SA. This happens every year though, it's as if they don't get it already after years of not getting FA's to come to SA. Spurs build through the draft and get pieces, thats what they do.

CitizenDwayne
04-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Wait, so we might get a meeting with a soft jump-shooting big? Oh boy!

TXstbobcat
04-21-2015, 06:33 PM
In fact, if the Spurs can get LMA on a 2015 max deal, max out Kawhi, and get Green to take around $55M over 5 years, the Spurs could have another max slot in 2017, assuming they don't give out any more big long-term deals before then.

Financialy I don't think that the Spurs would be able to sign LMA and keep Green.

Richie
04-21-2015, 06:43 PM

I'd prefer Gasol but if Aldridge wanted to come here you'd have to be a lunatic to say no.

Richie
04-21-2015, 06:45 PM
Financialy I don't think that the Spurs would be able to sign LMA and keep Green.

If we dump Mills with Manu and Duncan retiring we can have $18.8m, close enough to a max slot to be in the conversation

cjw
04-21-2015, 06:52 PM
He wouldn't take a cent below the max, nor would they need him to. We're talking about one of the 15 best players in the league, in his prime and he'd be as close as realistically possible to a perfect fit for this team. As much as I like Diaw and Mills, if one of them has to go to accommodate a player of this magnitude, so be it.

The key would be retaining Green. Clearly, the bench would have to be re-built, but a Parker-Green-Leonard-Aldridge-Splitter starting five would give them a puncher's chance at remaining in contention.

Yeah, agree and trying to point out that cap space isn't quite there. Incumbent team has a huge advantage. Issue is you would need to have a trade in the bag for Diaw / Mills in advance to get it done. 90% of the board would love to see Parker be that guy shipped out to create space, but I'm not going to stir the pot there.

If you lost Green, you'd be scrambling to fill the other holes with cap space. I don't think you pull the trigger on one deal unless all the dominoes are ready to fall. This strategy would also be highly dependent on the FO having their guys identified to bring in on cheap deals to replenish the bench. On the bright side, pressure of winning a title immediately wouldn't be there as that team would have more time to gel.

If Aldridge can't be had, I'd love to steal Matthews from Portland and have more cap space to play with. He's not going to be the same guy post-injury but would complement Kawhi and Danny well. No idea what he's going to cost because it will depend on how he's healed.

SpurPadre
04-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Ultimately, Gasol and LA will talk about how they respect San Antonio but if they wind up leaving their respective teams, they'll go to the flashy, big market team like they all do. And LeBron will probably try to lure both of them, too.

TheGreatYacht
04-21-2015, 07:22 PM

TXstbobcat
04-21-2015, 07:32 PM
If we dump Mills with Manu and Duncan retiring we can have $18.8m, close enough to a max slot to be in the conversation

That would be enough to sign LMA but not enough money to also sign Green.

lefty
04-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Aldridge is pretty overrated and soft
You just described today's NBA

Richie
04-21-2015, 07:55 PM
That would be enough to sign LMA but not enough money to also sign Green.

$18.8m is taking in to account Greens $7.5m cap hold

Agloco
04-21-2015, 08:00 PM

Ditty
04-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Unless the Spurs have the insight that the have a shot at Anthony Davis, then I say fuck it give Aldridge and Leonard the max. I've heard he is unhappy in Portland, and wants to come back to Texas and be near his family, and doesn't care about money anymore as he has enough of it.

Ditty
04-21-2015, 08:08 PM
http://mavericks.scout.com/forums/2144-mavericks-discussion/13811871-fish-mavs-could-add-aldridge-and-keep-1-of-tyson-monta-rondo?s=268&page=1

"But one Blazers player cautioned that Aldridge already has enough money. Happiness is what he is truly seeking, and that could be found in being closer to family in Texas.
Worth noting that while Aldridge is from Dallas, and I believe that's where most of his family resides, he does have a son (his only child) in SAN ANTONIO - but his son lives with his mother, whom Aldridge is no longer with"

dabom
04-21-2015, 08:11 PM
http://mavericks.scout.com/forums/2144-mavericks-discussion/13811871-fish-mavs-could-add-aldridge-and-keep-1-of-tyson-monta-rondo?s=268&page=1

"But one Blazers player cautioned that Aldridge already has enough money. Happiness is what he is truly seeking, and that could be found in being closer to family in Texas.
Worth noting that while Aldridge is from Dallas, and I believe that's where most of his family resides, he does have a son (his only child) in SAN ANTONIO - but his son lives with his mother, whom Aldridge is no longer with"

Not coming to SA then. Unless they get somehow back together which is not happening. lol

RD2191
04-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Not coming to SA then. Unless they get somehow back together which is not happening. lol
No one wants baby mama drama. Fuck that. LA is going to Dallas.

Sean Cagney
04-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Ultimately, Gasol and LA will talk about how they respect San Antonio but if they wind up leaving their respective teams, they'll go to the flashy, big market team like they all do. And LeBron will probably try to lure both of them, too.

Damn man you hit it dead on the head there, 100% accurate.
No one wants baby mama drama. Fuck that. LA is going to Dallas.

Yeah, Dallas is usually the FA picks choice when going to Texas (Houston next). I can see Cuban throwing alot at him and if he leaves Portland winding up in Dallas.

Ditty
04-21-2015, 08:15 PM

I'm pretty sure he is able to see his son...:lol

Mikeanaro
04-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Well is not like Pau was a ballsy player in Memphis and got dominant during his Laker years, he was soft as a fetus and it worked.

Budkin
04-21-2015, 08:18 PM
I heard Pau Gasol has shown interest in the Spurs tbh...

Budkin
04-21-2015, 08:20 PM

This. The only way San Antonio is getting an all star is by drafting one.

Mikeanaro
04-21-2015, 08:22 PM
I heard Pau Gasol has shown interest in the Spurs tbh...
Please God no, but If we get LMA is not like getting Dickie Jeffers, there are layers of softness.

Ditty
04-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Never understood why Spurs fan always think that free agents always pass us up for flashy markets when we've never heard more than MLE in years past, especially one who is already from Texas :lol

Gasol passed us up for more money and playing time obviously to play for the bulls tbh...

CGD
04-21-2015, 08:35 PM
The pecking order is:
Tim for 2 more years > Gasol > Aldridge > Lopez

If Tim stays for 2 more years that'll play into the succession narrative when Davis becomes a UFA. You have to throw your hat in the ring on a guy like that no matter the long shot. Two factors that may make Davis' situation interesting:

1) With the cap set to explode right as Davis becomes a UFA, I doubt he agrees to do his extension this summer.

2) don't underestimate the Monty suck factor, whose likely "safe" after making these playoffs. It's a question of when (not if) they replace him, so any uncertainty in the Pelis coaching situation is something to watch heading into Davis RFA year.

Beaverfuzz
04-21-2015, 09:51 PM
I'd prefer Gasol but if Aldridge wanted to come here you'd have to be a lunatic to say no.

If you want someone to actually play PF, you would say no. Otherwise he's a small forward period.

cd021
04-21-2015, 09:56 PM
LMA is a better fit next to Splitter...he's an excellent mid-range shooter and has even shown signs of developing a 3-point shot this year. He's also a few years younger than Gasol IIRC.

I really don't see any way Gasol leaves Memphis. LMA is a somewhat realistic (albeit still a long shot) option, since apparently he wants to get back to Texas so he can be closer to family.

Both are 30. L.A has more mileage on his body. He's been in the league 9 seasons Gasol hasn't played that much for someone his age.

Malik Hairston
04-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Ew @ Monroe or Lopez, tbh..horrible..

100%duncan
04-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Smh "SA can't get big free agents". Of fucking course, they didn't have cap space you dumbasses.

benefactor
04-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Ew @ Monroe or Lopez, tbh..horrible..
Keeping Bonner would almost be better.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-21-2015, 10:48 PM
New max is no big deal particularly with the shortened contracts. It's a price ceiling and something to take advantage of. He very well could desire a one year deal. Of the veteran free agents, he is what he is in this market and easily a top 30 player.

He can play with Duncan, Splitter and Baynes. Boris can back him up. With Kawhi we would have one of the best starting frontcourts on paper. If they were actually good they would be legendary.

Need some guards that can play worth a shit though.

Ditty
04-21-2015, 10:55 PM
Smh "SA can't get big free agents". Of fucking course, they didn't have cap space you dumbasses.

mkurts
04-21-2015, 11:14 PM
We shall see, LMA may be soft but he is a good passer and mid range threat big man which would stop teams closely packing the paint. His scoring presence inside would open up the outside 3pt shooters like in Portland.

I doubt that he would come, but if he does and we can re-sign Green, Leonard and Mills ..... even if Duncan retires this team would be a contender for another few years.

SpursFan86
04-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Both are 30. L.A has more mileage on his body. He's been in the league 9 seasons Gasol hasn't played that much for someone his age.

Just looked it up...Aldridge is only about half a year younger than Gasol, so I was wrong about that.

As for the mileage, LMA might have more NBA mileage, but you have to remember Gasol has played a good amount of international ball (both in European leagues and for the Spanish national team). I'm not so sure there's much of a difference in their mileage.

And regardless, like I said, I feel LMA is a better fit next to Splitter and would make more sense given our current roster.

Sean Cagney
04-22-2015, 01:20 AM
Keeping Bonner would almost be better.

:lol, not really but damn.

When was the last time they had alot of space 2003? They went after Kidd and Webber then. If you are talking Max FA's then yes you are right, the mid tier FA's when they had some space still passed up on the Spurs to go to the sexier pick in a bigger city. That is just the way it seems to be or has been. They draft players and get some key pieces here and there, thats the way they have moved.

spurraider21
04-22-2015, 01:23 AM
i'd take brook lopez over monroe

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-22-2015, 01:24 AM
If Duncan retires, there's no better fit next to Tiago and Kawhi than LMA and at 2015 max it'd be a great deal. Still highly unlikely. I think both Duncan and Manu return for 1+1 years whatever happens this season.

100%duncan
04-22-2015, 01:25 AM
:lol, not really but damn.

When was the last time they had alot of space 2003? They went after Kidd and Webber then. If you are talking Max FA's then yes you are right, the mid tier FA's when they had some space still passed up on the Spurs to go to the sexier pick in a bigger city. That is just the way it seems to be or has been. They draft players and get some key pieces here and there, thats the way they have moved.
Still doesn't change the fact that they were limited due to space. Those "mid tier" players were delusional and wanted more of course, who doesnt want them bling bling.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-22-2015, 01:27 AM

Perhaps I'm forgetting someone but which mid tier FA has signed for another team on similar money to what the Spurs had to offer?

Sean Cagney
04-22-2015, 01:28 AM
Still doesn't change the fact that they were limited due to space. Those "mid tier" players were delusional and wanted more of course, who doesnt want them bling bling.
The city also factors in there as well tbh, SA is not a really a big FA spot for some reason. Spurs have not had a ton of space you are right but they offered some value like the other team did or near it (Gasol recently) and they repeatedly draw interest but always end up getting passed up. They get the rings though so something must be going right? I am fine with the role players they get in FA and the draft choices, that's the way they seem to move and it works.

When a FA comes to SA and they have the space then I will change my tune on that, as of now I don't expect it.
Perhaps I'm forgetting someone but which mid tier FA has signed for another team on similar money to what the Spurs had to offer?

Gasol, Maggette in 08 and whoever else has been so called interested in the Spurs in the last 10 years and close to signing only to go somewhere else. There has been many more than just those two but that is an example. Spurs offer near the same as the other team but they seem to take the so called sexier pick.

100%duncan
04-22-2015, 01:31 AM
Of course the big city vs no nightlife matters but that's beyond the point. Gasol was offered more money + a bigger role. He won't play behind Duncan Bobo and Tiago.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-22-2015, 01:35 AM
Gasol, Maggette in 08 and whoever else has been so called interested in the Spurs in the last 10 years and close to signing only to go somewhere else. There has been many more than just those two but that is an example. Spurs offer near the same as the other team but they seem to take the so called sexier pick.

Disagree on Gasol, the Spurs only had the MLE, Chicago had more than that. The MLE last sumemr was $5.3 mil, he ended up signing at 7.5 per + 15% trade kicker. That's significant IMO.

Corey Maggette :lol you're way off there - again the Spurs had the MLE ~$ 5mil, he signed at 10 mil per. 5 years /50 mil.

Sean Cagney
04-22-2015, 01:36 AM
Of course the big city vs no nightlife matters but that's beyond the point.

No, that is my point there as most seem to like that nowadays. I have not been to SA but I surely would like to live in a nice city if I were a FA and looking to move somewhere as a younger dude (Especially if single). I am sure SA is nice but do the have a night life there and is it attractive? A family atmosphere it appears to be and tight knit but probably not alot to do and that deters some from going there.

I agree on your other part though about him playing behind others and I had no clue he was offered that much more money? I thought it was close? Either or a FA has never really signed in SA besides Derek Anderson that one year and he bolted right after that for a little more money to Portland. We get the Jax, Horry's, Barry's, Diaws and so on, that I AM 100% fine with! Key role players around our big three, plus some witty draft picks by the FO! That is their lane.
Disagree on Gasol, the Spurs only had the MLE, Chicago had more than that. The MLE last sumemr was $5.3 mil, he ended up signing at 7.5 per + 15% trade kicker. That's significant IMO.

Corey Maggette :lol you're way off there - again the Spurs had the MLE ~$ 5mil, he signed at 10 mil per. 5 years /50 mil.
Bottom line is they were all favoring or close to signing in SA and said it was about winning and not money (Some of them), then chose the money over winning and look where that ended them? They chose the sexy pick as usual and showed it was all about the money. Webber and Kidd passed up SA in 03 when they had a ton of money since we are talking money, they were all about signing them too at the time. Spurs whiff on most FA's and that is a fact, to say otherwise would be fooling yourself.

Get at me when they sign a FA then you will be right.

cd021
04-22-2015, 04:29 AM
Just looked it up...Aldridge is only about half a year younger than Gasol, so I was wrong about that.

As for the mileage, LMA might have more NBA mileage, but you have to remember Gasol has played a good amount of international ball (both in European leagues and for the Spanish national team). I'm not so sure there's much of a difference in their mileage.

And regardless, like I said, I feel LMA is a better fit next to Splitter and would make more sense given our current roster.

Most of international leagues have much shorter seasons and play 40 minutes. I would think L.A definitely has more millage.

I think Gasol could play with Splitter, though our starting lineup has had spacing troubles over the past couple of seasons. Even though Gasol can hit an outside jumper that would still be my main concern with that pairing. Aldridge would probably be a better fit but Gasol is the closest to truly replacing Duncan.

If the Spurs could unload Mills for a pick, they could clear out near max cap space ($19,300,000) roughly). It would be crazy but technically possible that they renounce both Duncan and Ginobili and are able bring them back on vet min. deals as a part of sales pitch to L.A and or Gasol

Parker/Cojo (using Room Exception)
Green (Bird Rights)/Ginobili
Leonard/Anderson
Duncan/Diaw/LJC
Gasol/Splitter

or

Parker/Cojo (using Room Exception)
Green (Bird Rights)/Ginobili
Leonard/Anderson
Aldridge/Diaw/LJC
Duncan/Splitter

either route they would be able to bring over LJC and maybe another stash to fill out the roster.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-22-2015, 07:06 AM

Probably not, but the fact he is from Texas and his family still lives in Texas, I think he would at least hear the Spurs offer. Spurs could sign and trade Splitter and someone else, maybe Mills to get him. I hardly doubt this happens. But you never know. It looks like Portland is heading to another 1st round exit.

Seeing how competitive the West is now, maybe he feels like the Spurs and Pop give him the best shot to win in the near future. Having him in the post and Kawhi on the high post would be a nightmare for teams to defend.

G-Dawgg
04-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Wow, a big 3 of Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldrige Would be arguably better than any other big 3 in the League...... Make it happen!!

Chinook
04-22-2015, 07:31 AM
You don't trade Splitter or Green for Aldridge unless you get replacements for them. Mills, LJC and the pick are possible, though. As I said before, moving those assets for a premier stashed prospect sounds ideal, but I dunno if there's anyone who fits that mold besides Saric, whom Philly would only move for a top-10 pick, in my opinion.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-22-2015, 07:55 AM
You don't trade Splitter or Green for Aldridge unless you get replacements for them. Mills, LJC and the pick are possible, though. As I said before, moving those assets for a premier stashed prospect sounds ideal, but I dunno if there's anyone who fits that mold besides Saric, whom Philly would only move for a top-10 pick, in my opinion.

I would move Splitter because who is going to create offense in the post once Duncan is gone. Splitter is one of the top 3 defensive bigs in the league (yes I mean that and the numbers prove it), but you can always find defensive guys. Look at Perkins. He has made a career of just being a defensive bigman. These are more common than guys like LA.

LA is a good defender, but a great offensive player. I would rather have Marc Gasol, but more than likely he is not leaving Memphis. Spurs can look for defensive C via the NBA draft or FA. And Splitter will be FA after next year. Who is to say that we trade him and a year later resign him.

I don't think the Spurs should use Green as trade bait. There is nobody via FA or the draft that could replace him consider the Spurs salary cap situation.

But like I said, I doubt anything happens. Just giving my two cents worth.

Richie
04-22-2015, 08:28 AM

I think Justin Anderson looks like a great option in the draft if we decide to let Danny go. Ha the same physical profile (6'6", 6'11" wing, 220lbs) and he's shot better percentage at higher volume from 3 (45%, 4 att/game) than Danny did in college. The only worry is that he has just had a good year as his percentages weren't great in his freshman or sophmore years, although again neither was Dannys.

With Greens cap hold at $7.5m it really makes sense to try and keep him, and if we dump Mills it would mean Aldridge would likely be giving up less than $1m compared to his max.

Chinook
04-22-2015, 10:10 AM
I would move Splitter because who is going to create offense in the post once Duncan is gone. Splitter is one of the top 3 defensive bigs in the league (yes I mean that and the numbers prove it), but you can always find defensive guys. Look at Perkins. He has made a career of just being a defensive bigman. These are more common than guys like LA.

LA is a good defender, but a great offensive player. I would rather have Marc Gasol, but more than likely he is not leaving Memphis. Spurs can look for defensive C via the NBA draft or FA. And Splitter will be FA after next year. Who is to say that we trade him and a year later resign him.

I don't think the Spurs should use Green as trade bait. There is nobody via FA or the draft that could replace him consider the Spurs salary cap situation.

But like I said, I doubt anything happens. Just giving my two cents worth.

Perkins was never the defender Splitter is. Perkins is a hot head who can hold his own in the post, but he wasn't going to switch PnRs or protect the rim. He also wasn't going to check perimeter bigs. It wouldn't be easy at all to replace Splitter, especially not to the extent that the Spurs would remain contenders.

A Parker/Green/Leonard/Aldridge/Splitter SL would probably be the most balanced in the league. But the bench would be a work in progress with Joseph, Anderson, Diaw and Baynes teaming up with some new player (either a rookie second-rounder or some min guy). If you trade Splitter away, then the bench isn't any better, while the SL is no longer nearly as balanced.

Even as a guy who wants LA, I feel as though he'd be the missing piece, not a building block. If the Spurs can't get him without keeping the rest of their SL, then there's no point. They'd be just as good getting some cheaper PF and keeping their defensive foundation together.

Chinook
04-22-2015, 10:14 AM
I think Justin Anderson looks like a great option in the draft if we decide to let Danny go. Ha the same physical profile (6'6", 6'11" wing, 220lbs) and he's shot better percentage at higher volume from 3 (45%, 4 att/game) than Danny did in college. The only worry is that he has just had a good year as his percentages weren't great in his freshman or sophmore years, although again neither was Dannys.

With Greens cap hold at $7.5m it really makes sense to try and keep him, and if we dump Mills it would mean Aldridge would likely be giving up less than $1m compared to his max.

They shouldn't consider anyone a Green replacement unless they can realistically expect him to give the same production that Kawhi did his first year. That's not because Green is THAT good, but it's because the team will be reloading and can't afford to lose that production from the two (especially if Manu also leaves).

Parker is only getting older/worse, and LA wouldn't be that far behind. So the team can't afford to wait three years for Anderson to become current Green. And they won't have anything else other than the room exception and min deals to get a starting two, and the room exception should really be going to a backup PG/C under this scenario

Dingle Barry
04-22-2015, 10:21 AM
With Pop having attained legend status, and the lack of an income tax in Texas, I think we have a really good chance of finally landing a big fish FA.

daslicer
04-22-2015, 10:33 AM

In '03 they had lots of cap space and were still rejected by Jermaine O'neal and Kidd who were both big FA's during that time period. Rasheed rejected the spurs in summer of '09 despite the spurs offering the full MLE and a bigger role but he still went to the Celtics.

LkrFan
04-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Y'all have to pay MAX to retain KL longterm. Can y'all afford to pay both players MAX? Enrique, Shitter, Diaw and Patty are all still owed another ~$64 million over the next 2 years. Plus, how much to re-sign Tim?

Tell you what. Pay LMA MAX, and I'm sure MK will gladly take KL off your hands with a MAX deal (remember he's a Cali boy :toast). New young Laker core: KL, Randle, Clarkson, and Towns (or Okafor). I could roll with that. :hat

Go get LMA. Do it RC! :downspin:

spurspokesman
04-22-2015, 10:59 AM
I have no beef with LA. But KL must stay and I dont see both happening

Malik Hairston
04-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Y'all have to pay MAX to retain KL longterm. Can y'all afford to pay both players MAX? Enrique, Shitter, Diaw and Patty are all still owed another ~$64 million over the next 2 years.

Tell you what. Pay LMA MAX, and I'm sure MK will gladly take KL off your hands with a MAX deal (remember he's a Cali boy :toast). New young Laker core: KL, Randle, Clarkson, and Towns (or Okafor). I could roll with that. :hat

:lmao enjoy Rondo, my nigga:lmao..

LkrFan
04-22-2015, 11:01 AM
:lmao enjoy Rondo, my nigga:lmao..Fuck that shiiiiiiiiiiit! :lmao

Chomag
04-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Greens walking :stirpot:

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-22-2015, 11:32 AM
I have no beef with LA. But KL must stay and I dont see both happening

Spurs can afford both. That was the whole point of Kawhi waiting on extending his contract. They can even afford Green as they have his bird right's and can resign him even despite being over the cap.

This is the same scenario Morey tried to pull of with Bosh last offseason but instead lost Parson, thinking no team was going to offer them the Max. But unlike Parsons, it appears that the Spurs have already told Kawhi he is going to get the max despite what happens. It's all about the timing of things at this point.

hater
04-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Lmao at this thread.

"no lets not get that soft bitch who would instantly become our best player. Lets just give the Max to a guy that can't post up Jamal Crawford"

:lmao

Chinook
04-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Greens walking :stirpot:

If he has another game like he did on Sunday, Pop will probably make him walk back to SA.

Chinook
04-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Also, seriously, we have a salary thread in the Think Tank that goes over this in detail. Why are people acting like we have to spit-ball these numbers? And yes, the Spurs would gladly pay the tax for one year if it meant having a post-Duncan contender. That is just too rare to pass up.

tholdren
04-22-2015, 04:54 PM
LOL

Richie
04-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Spurs can afford both. That was the whole point of Kawhi waiting on extending his contract. They can even afford Green as they have his bird right's and can resign him even despite being over the cap.

This is the same scenario Morey tried to pull of with Bosh last offseason but instead lost Parson, thinking no team was going to offer them the Max. But unlike Parsons, it appears that the Spurs have already told Kawhi he is going to get the max despite what happens. It's all about the timing of things at this point.

There was no reason Houston had to lose Parsons. I think they played it perfectly up until the point where they chose not to match hoping Bosh would sign.

Richie
04-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Another Aldridge-specific factor is Oregons 11% (!!!) income tax compared to none in Texas. That would more than make up for any marginal cut LaMarcus would have to take under the max to sign him.

Of course if he cares about making as much money as possible he should sign a 1+1 or 2+1 are get another big contract when the cap jumps.

SilverSpur
04-22-2015, 07:37 PM
if anyone is joining the Spurs, its going to be someone from overseas. Maybe a middle of the road free agent.

ElNono
04-22-2015, 07:38 PM
if anyone is joining the Spurs, its going to be someone from overseas. Maybe a middle of the road free agent.

Lamarcilius Alrdigeudis...

shingo_318
04-22-2015, 07:52 PM
LMA will be a great spur imo. He is humble and has polished technique.

cjw
04-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Y'all have to pay MAX to retain KL longterm. Can y'all afford to pay both players MAX? Enrique, Shitter, Diaw and Patty are all still owed another ~$64 million over the next 2 years. Plus, how much to re-sign Tim?

Read my post from earlier and the replies to it - they'll have near max money and can easily get to max money by moving Diaw or Mills.

Lakerfan are too lazy to learn about the cap, just like the owners :lol

beirmeistr
04-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Lamarcilius Alrdigeudis...

sounds like another greek freak, lol

beirmeistr
04-22-2015, 08:25 PM
sounds like another greek freak, lol

or is it serbian?

RD2191
04-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Zbo currently skull fucking LMA.:lol

Malik Hairston
04-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Aldridge looks extremely frustrated, tbh:lol..

Can't blame him with that mediocre supporting cast..Lillard is one of the most overrated players in the league, Matthews' is possibly finished as an elite 3&D guy, and Batum sucks..

ElNono
04-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Zbo currently skull fucking LMA.:lol

:lol boxscore warriors will tell you LMA has 21/13... but if you watched any of these first two games, ZBo just toyed with him

RD2191
04-22-2015, 09:07 PM
:lol boxscore warriors will tell you LMA has 21/13... but if you watched any of these first two games, ZBo just toyed with him
I can't lie. I've only caught a few minutes of both games but every time I tune in zbo is shitting on him.:lol

ElNono
04-22-2015, 09:09 PM
I can't lie. I've only caught a few minutes of both games but every time I tune in zbo is shitting on him.:lol

Grizz even resting ZBo right now, and Portland with LMA can't cut down the lead :lol

RD2191
04-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Grizz even resting ZBo right now, and Portland with LMA can't cut down the lead :lol
Dude is soft as hell. No thanks to him coming here tbh.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Dude is soft as hell. No thanks to him coming here tbh.

The same was said of Splitter. It's amazing what the right coach and organization will do for a player.

Just look at Kawhi speech thanking the Spurs for giving him a championship mentality and Pop for coaching him. Where Kawhi thanked RC for drafting him, LA would be thanking RC for signing him.

CGD
04-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Man, the way Tim looked Wednesday I say keep him another 2 years, And then toss the hat in the ring for Davis.

$pursDynasty
04-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Man, the way Tim looked Wednesday I say keep him another 2 years, And then toss the hat in the ring for Davis.
hey maybe by then he will be as frustrated with the Pels as LMA is with the Blazers. BUT the two aren't mutally exclusive, we can keep KL sign TD to a cap friendly deal and get LA and that in no way stops us from getting the Brow down the line in fact a Spurs team constantly in the title picture only increases the Spurs allure.

ducks
04-24-2015, 10:17 AM
I take him even if it green bolted

green is leaving anyhow he hates tp guts

ducks
04-24-2015, 10:18 AM
you sign him get rid of baynes

Chinook
04-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Man, the way Tim looked Wednesday I say keep him another 2 years, And then toss the hat in the ring for Griffin.

FIFY, seeing as that's who's going to actually be a free agent in 2017.

ducks
04-24-2015, 10:25 AM
I would rather have both

Mel_13
04-24-2015, 10:31 AM
I would rather have both

Not enough cap space if TD returns. TD is not playing for the minimum, so don't even go there.

All a moot point anyway, the guy isn't leaving Portland.

ducks
04-24-2015, 10:32 AM
the mle

own part of the spurs

ducks
04-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Not enough cap space if TD returns. TD is not playing for the minimum, so don't even go there.

other then money why stay
why lakers
why knicks

Mel_13
04-24-2015, 10:34 AM
the mle

They won't have the MLE if they use cap space to sign a free agent. The biggest exception will be the 2.7M dollar room exception. Tim's not playing for that either.

Mel_13
04-24-2015, 10:37 AM
other then money why stay
why lakers
why knicks

1. Money
2. Community
3. Teammates
4. Coaching staff
5. Organization

Some or all of those. The same things that keep the vast majority of major free agents with the teams they're familiar with.

Chinook
04-24-2015, 11:49 AM

I'm not sure anymore. He's starting to have that look in his eye that James had his last year in Cleveland (the first time). I think he knows the team will never get over the hump. The injuries are just an excuse -- they were healthy last season and were still outclassed by the Spurs. Given that the monetary difference is negligible, I think he could well leave.

Problem is, the Spurs aren't going to have the space to sign him, unless he's willing to take a HUGE discount. So it probably won't be SA. But I could see some teams in the East going for him. Atlanta has to be an option, along with maybe Boston

hyhy
04-24-2015, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure anymore. He's starting to have that look in his eye that James had his last year in Cleveland (the first time). I think he knows the team will never get over the hump. The injuries are just an excuse -- they were healthy last season and were still outclassed by the Spurs. Given that the monetary difference is negligible, I think he could well leave.

Problem is, the Spurs aren't going to have the space to sign him, unless he's willing to take a HUGE discount. So it probably won't be SA. But I could see some teams in the East going for him. Atlanta has to be an option, along with maybe Boston

Yup, he is playing unmotivated these 2 games at memphis, probably leaving soon. His body language in the games is terrible

Mel_13
04-24-2015, 11:55 AM

I can't find much fault with this post. I still believe the most likely outcome has him staying in Portland, but Boston and Atlanta are attractive destinations. The Spurs won't have the money even if Aldridge is inclined to leave.

monkeypunk
04-24-2015, 11:56 AM
They won't have the MLE if they use cap space to sign a free agent. The biggest exception will be the 2.7M dollar room exception. Tim's not playing for that either.

IMO, I don't think its impossible for TD to play for the min. He's not about the money and has already made more over his career than the vast majority of players in the league. He seems to only want to play and win so it's not far fetched for him to play for the min if it allows SAS to get more talent signed.

That being said, I think it's more likely that PATFO pay him more than the min just out of respect for his contributions, along the lines of Manu's last contract so he may well get 8-10 for another year but I don't think TD would be driving that valuation.

benefactor
04-24-2015, 12:03 PM
I'd put my money on Atlanta. Warm climate, Eastern Conference, solid core of players and an up an coming elite coach.

04-24-2015, 12:05 PM
:lol "might get a meeting"

:lol people getting excited over a possible meeting.

:lol San Antonio, the city where no one wants to live

Mel_13
04-24-2015, 12:06 PM
IMO, I don't think its impossible for TD to play for the min.

I can't see it, but it's just an opinion. It's not going stop folks from developing scenarios where the Spurs can have Aldridge while still bringing TD back.

If the Spurs can bring back their core while still signing a max free agent, I'll happily munch on the crow that will be served up.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-24-2015, 12:10 PM
You aren't considering that LA may just sign a 3 year deal with a player option in the 2nd year. Spurs give him a 15 mil a year deal and next year, when the Cap drastically increases, can sign him to a bigger deal, kinda what Lebron is doing with the Cavs. He left money on the table to sign a bigger deal next year.

This would leave 5 mil to resign Duncan and possibly sign Manu to the BAE. Its doable but would acquire LA taking a pay cut for at least a year. Being that Kawhi has emerged and the he would be playing with great defensive C in Splitter once Duncan does hang it up, the Spurs are the situation for him IMO.
We'll see, but I think the Spurs do have a shot. Probably not going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprise if it does. He looks like he wants to win and knows he won't in Portland with the rise of GS and the Rockets. Even Memphis is pounding them right now.

RD2191
04-24-2015, 12:11 PM
LMA is trash. ZBo is bullying his ass on both sides of the ball. I'd rather the Spurs try to move in draft and take a chance on the best available big man of possible.

Chinook
04-24-2015, 12:14 PM
I can't find much fault with this post. I still believe the most likely outcome has him staying in Portland, but Boston and Atlanta are attractive destinations. The Spurs won't have the money even if Aldridge is inclined to leave.

Yeah, Aldridge/Horford would be the best front court in the East, and obviously, they have the perimeter play and coaching to win it all. Boston is interesting, because they should have the assets to trade for at least one other great piece (Hibbert or Tyson Chandler, for example), and they're obviously very well coached. Detroit would also be interesting, but I don't know if they have the perimeter play to be any higher than top five in that conference. I think out West, Utah would be a great fit for his skills as well.

The question I have is this, though: If you were in charge the Spurs, and Aldridge came up to you and said, "I'll sign with you if you guys clear max cap space," would you do it? Would PATFO?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-24-2015, 12:15 PM
LMA is trash. ZBo is bullying his ass on both sides of the ball. I'd rather the Spurs try to move in draft and take a chance on the best available big man of possible.

Zbo makes a lot of people look bad when he turns it on in the post. That is why the Spurs have Splitter defending him as he has made even Duncan look bad quite a few times.

Who's to say his D doesn't improve under Pop as he wouldn't have to carry such a huge offensive load playing in the Spurs system and can devote more energy on D.

Chinook
04-24-2015, 12:22 PM
You aren't considering that LA may just sign a 3 year deal with a player option in the 2nd year. Spurs give him a 15 mil a year deal and next year, when the Cap drastically increases, can sign him to a bigger deal, kinda what Lebron is doing with the Cavs. He left money on the table to sign a bigger deal next year.

This would leave 5 mil to resign Duncan and possibly sign Manu to the BAE. Its doable but would acquire LA taking a pay cut for at least a year. Being that Kawhi has emerged and the he would be playing with great defensive C in Splitter once Duncan does hang it up, the Spurs are the situation for him IMO.
We'll see, but I think the Spurs do have a shot. Probably not going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprise if it does. He looks like he wants to win and knows he won't in Portland with the rise of GS and the Rockets. Even Memphis is pounding them right now.

James took a max deal with Cleveland. He didn't leave any annual salary on the table. While I agree that it shouldn't be a big deal for LA to sign a two one-and-ones then a max early-Bird deal, it seems like he really does care about the money enough to worry about a couple million bucks.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-24-2015, 12:24 PM
The question I have is this, though: If you were in charge the Spurs, and Aldridge came up to you and said, "I'll sign with you if you guys clear max cap space," would you do it? Would PATFO?

That's tough. The Spurs would have probably give up Splitter in a sign and trade to make room to resign Duncan. I am sure the Blazers would take Splitter because with Lillard and him on the PNR would be pretty deadly for teams as Portland wants to build around Lillard anyways. And Splitter as I mentioned before is a top 3 man to man defender and probably PnR defender as well in the league.

It depends if Pop and co. think an LA Duncan FC can get it done defensively. Offensively it would be a nightmare for teams. This would be a tough one, but with the decline of Parker, the Spurs need more scoring in the Future and LA provides just that.

It would be a tough call. Because you are basically switching defense for offense with this move.

Chinook
04-24-2015, 12:33 PM
I guess I should have stated that I think there's zero chance the Spurs even use cap space if Tim comes back. They'd probably just reup everyone and look to improve with the MLE.

04-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Good 2 way bigs in the league are rare. There is probably Duncan, Anthony Davis, Marc and Pau Gasol, Al Horford and maybe Dwight.

Roy Hibbert used to be up there but now he just sucks on offense. Ibaka is a good shot blocker and has a jump shot but he's more of a spot up shooter instead of someone who can create. Cousins can be part of the list but he's too immature to reliably anchor a defense. But the point is the pickings are slim and if I had to choose between a big that can play great offense or a big that can play great defense, I'd choose defense. Spurs can always find more offense through guards since the league is loaded with them.

ducks
04-24-2015, 02:21 PM

do you think he is worse then leonard

Mel_13
04-24-2015, 03:04 PM

As long as they keep Leonard, Green, and Splitter (and TD and Manu, of course, if either wants to return), I'd be ok with any other moves to clear cap space. Getting Aldridge at the 2015 max, much like getting Leonard locked up for as long as possible this summer, will look like a bargain when the 2016 cap increase takes effect.

cjw
04-24-2015, 03:16 PM

Then give me some Horford or Milsap...

Even if Spurs don't end up with one of the big two, plenty of good pieces that can replace lesser ones on the current roster.

My ideal scenario would be if they could keep the gang together one more year, keep Green on a descending value deal like Splitter's, and have cap space when the cap really jumps.

Mel_13
04-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Then give me some Horford or Milsap...

Even if Spurs don't end up with one of the big two, plenty of good pieces that can replace lesser ones on the current roster.

My ideal scenario would be if they could keep the gang together one more year, keep Green on a descending value deal like Splitter's, and have cap space when the cap really jumps.

Milsap won't be much cheaper than Aldridge, and Horford won't be a FA until 2016 when almost every team in the league will have room for at least one max player. Horford will get multiple offers for the max in that market.

I like the idea of Danny on a five year descending contract, as I expect the Spurs to bring almost everyone back and have nothing greater than the MLE for free agents this summer.

CGD
04-24-2015, 05:03 PM
FIFY, seeing as that's who's going to actually be a free agent in 2017.

I wonder with the projected cap increase if he just sign the QO next summer. I'm skeptical he'd signs the extension this fall for the same reason.

Isn't that the risk the Spurs took by not extending Leonard this past fall?

spurraider21
04-24-2015, 05:21 PM
who is the best Free Agent the spurs have ever signed? brent barry?

Robz4000
04-24-2015, 05:30 PM

Michael Finley :lol

Seventyniner
04-24-2015, 05:37 PM
As long as they keep Leonard, Green, and Splitter (and TD and Manu, of course, if either wants to return), I'd be ok with any other moves to clear cap space. Getting Aldridge at the 2015 max, much like getting Leonard locked up for as long as possible this summer, will look like a bargain when the 2016 cap increase takes effect.

I completely agree. The 2015 max will look even better in 2017.

look_at_g_shred
04-24-2015, 05:39 PM

ducks
04-24-2015, 05:42 PM

Are you nobody

Malik Hairston
04-24-2015, 05:42 PM
I haven't been keeping up with any of the rumors, but if any of them are true about Tim losing money in investments or the divorce or whatever, I highly doubt he'll ever play for the minimum or the smaller exception(nor should he), tbh:lol..

While the actual amount that NBA players make seems astronomical to most of us, giving up 10 mil(or around that) is still a lot of money to anybody..

aal04
04-24-2015, 05:43 PM
The only way we get big free agents is if we get them cheap.

and the only way we get them cheap is by winning the ring every year and forcing ring chasers to take a cut to come here.

AFBlue
04-24-2015, 06:22 PM
My guess is that Tim holds off on signing to give the Spurs the ultimate flexibility with their FA plans. Priority #1 will be locking Kawhi up with a max deal, but then I think they go hard after Gasol and/or Aldridge. If it doesn't look promising, they should be able to pivot quickly to resign the core guys for one more year.

The only risk in this play is potentially losing Danny or CoJo while waiting on either of the bigs.

K...
04-24-2015, 06:24 PM
I haven't been keeping up with any of the rumors, but if any of them are true about Tim losing money in investments or the divorce or whatever, I highly doubt he'll ever play for the minimum or the smaller exception(nor should he), tbh:lol..

While the actual amount that NBA players make seems astronomical to most of us, giving up 10 mil(or around that) is still a lot of money to anybody..

those rumors are BS. Nba forum trash. He's a top ten NBA total compensation and he signed a prenup

Robz4000
04-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Resign both Kawhi and Green asap, you mean. The Wingstop duo could be the best tandem in the league for years to come. After that they can go hard after LMA/Gasol.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-24-2015, 06:56 PM

He went to college up in Austin. I would bet he is thinking more about that than S Alamo.

I think you should troll it into having to trade Parker to make the money work. That way when it doesn't happen you can shit on Parker too.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-24-2015, 07:11 PM

Terry Cummings who was an allstar the year before. Since then, probably Strickland, then Horry. This is the same for a lot of teams not named the Lakers.

tholdren
04-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Cummings for sure. Which is why Antonio McDoosh and Dick Jefferson were such Highly touted signings

ElNono
04-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Bill Simmons take:

Q: With the Trail Blazers stunning playoff collapse, the injury to Wes Matthews, and The Assassination of Damian Lillard by the Coward Mike Conley, does LaMarcus Aldridge seriously contemplate leaving this summer? Imagine him and Kawhi in S.A. for the next five years!
—Paul C., Los Altos, CA

BS: I don’t mean to anger Rip City, but we have to discuss this one. You could make a strong case for Aldridge being in play this summer. It will be Year 10 for him; he needs to win now. He just lost Wesley Matthews, and there’s no looming sign that Portland will ever find that third piece to put that team over the hump. He’s not nearly famous enough for someone who was one of the league’s 10 best players for two straight years. He’s from Dallas and attended the University of Texas, which opens up going-back-home possibilities in San Antonio (Duncan’s replacement?), Dallas (the Mavs’ new franchise guy?) AND Houston (his best chance for a quickie Finals trip).

Then again, Houston wouldn’t be his team; it already belongs to Harden. Dallas is heading in the wrong direction and already sent its top-seven-protected pick to Boston next season; I don’t see how that’s a better basketball situation than Portland’s this summer. As for San Antonio … I mean, would YOU want to replace Tim Duncan and spend the rest of your career being compared to him? That answer could go either way, I guess. The good side: Pop, Spurs, Kawhi, infrastructure, first-class fans. The bad side: If it doesn’t go splendidly, you become The Guy Who Screwed It Up After Duncan Left.

Which makes me think Orlando (assets + talent + youth + Florida), Boston (assets + youth + role players + President Stevens + great owner/front office) and New York (biggest market, Carmelo, top-three pick, cap space) could be legitimate LaMarcus players here. Four months ago, I would have said it was a 99 percent chance he stayed. Right now, it has to be 50/50. And dropping. If it means something to him to retire in Portland someday, he’ll stay. If not, he’ll leave. But it’s definitely not the best basketball situation for him. And by the way, Lillard is the Blazer getting commercials these days, not Aldridge. If you don’t think that matters to these guys, you’re crazy.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-mailbag-reunion-tour-continues/

cjw
04-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Lamarcus would be a great add to the HEB commercials.

State tax rate in Oregon is 9.9% on income over $125k. We know jock tax depends partly on where you play / place of residence but that is a bit of a difference maker if numbers are close. That does NOT mean you get him at a discount. The discount is in year 2+ when cap jumps and he's already locked in.

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 12:28 PM
It's unlikely the LA comes here imo, but the Spurs have to try. Tim and Manu are nearing the end. Tony looks like his days as a legit scoring option are numbered. We don't have any other things going for us long term in terms of player. As I've said before, there really are no other options. Gasol isn't coming here, Durant isn't coming here, and Anthony Davis isn't coming here. So it's either roll the dice on LA or use that money to sign a collection of role players that likely leaves us claiming the 4-8 seeds for years to come, imho.

TD 21
04-25-2015, 05:43 PM
I'd put my money on Atlanta. Warm climate, Eastern Conference, solid core of players and an up an coming elite coach.

That's because you're a fat, disgusting looking, disgraceful human being, with the mindset of a teenager from a few decades ago, who still thinks it's cool to use the word faggot and make constant penis jokes; none of which are the least bit funny.

Aldridge will either re-sign or sign with the Spurs. The Spurs aren't stupid; they're not sacrificing Splitter and/or Green to make this happen. They know, like I, Mel_13 (and possibly others, who I didn't bother to read) have alluded to, this only makes sense if he joins those two, Leonard and Parker, to form the core going forward. This is because they'll have no way of adequately replacing Splitter or Green.

Ditty
04-25-2015, 05:51 PM
I read somewhere (believe on the Blazers forum) that he would lose $22 million in 5-6 years due to state taxes in Oregon if he resigns at a max contract...

Not sure how accurate that is, that's a lot of money to leave on the table to play for mediocre franchise, except playing back home for one the best franchises in sports.

spurraider21
04-25-2015, 05:52 PM
how much would the spurs realistically be able to play LaMarcus... and who would have to leave in that scenario?

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 06:00 PM
how much would the spurs realistically be able to play LaMarcus... and who would have to leave in that scenario?

Likely have to trade Splitter imo.

spurraider21
04-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Likely have to trade Splitter imo.
ugh

Ditty
04-25-2015, 06:10 PM

I believe they will be able to offer him the max if I'm not mistaken or very close to it? Someone was able to put the numbers together, but I know Danny Green would probably be gone, and Tim and Manu would have to take another nice paycut, but could be worth it to retire on top or three peat hopefully *knock on wood*.

Jdspur20
04-25-2015, 06:13 PM

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 06:27 PM

They'd have to let Milsap walk in that scenario and likely Demarre Carol who's been a good player for them this year, and might affect their ability to re-sign Horford, who's a Free Agent in 2016 and will likely command top dollar.

benefactor
04-25-2015, 07:11 PM
That's because you're a fat, disgusting looking, disgraceful human being, with the mindset of a teenager from a few decades ago, who still thinks it's cool to use the word faggot and make constant penis jokes; none of which are the least bit funny.

:lol...look at you...all salty from head to toe because of that semen shower you took in the other thread. I was wondering when you were going to play this card too. You forgot hick and inbred though.

They'd have to let Milsap walk in that scenario and likely Demarre Carol who's been a good player for them this year, and might affect their ability to re-sign Horford, who's a Free Agent in 2016 and will likely command top dollar.
Milsap walking would be a given if they sign Aldridge...as he would take his job. With the cap going up over 66 million, they should have enough to take care of Carroll and Aldridge.

Beaverfuzz
04-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Lamarcus would be a great add to the HEB commercials.

State tax rate in Oregon is 9.9% on income over $125k. We know jock tax depends partly on where you play / place of residence but that is a bit of a difference maker if numbers are close. That does NOT mean you get him at a discount. The discount is in year 2+ when cap jumps and he's already locked in.

I think you need to examine oregon tax laws again.

Beaverfuzz
04-25-2015, 07:14 PM
I read somewhere (believe on the Blazers forum) that he would lose $22 million in 5-6 years due to state taxes in Oregon if he resigns at a max contract...

Not sure how accurate that is, that's a lot of money to leave on the table to play for mediocre franchise, except playing back home for one the best franchises in sports.

You may need to check oregon tax laws as well. No way he would pay that much in taxes with proper financial planning.

Cry Havoc
04-25-2015, 07:25 PM

:wow

coachmac87
04-25-2015, 07:26 PM
It's not about Danny Green...It's about Duncan and Manu

RD2191
04-25-2015, 07:34 PM

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/062010/1277899575_crocodile-tears.gif

NASpurs
04-25-2015, 07:39 PM

:wow indeed

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 08:56 PM

Lots people in the know in the NBA have been starting to say this too. Simmons said he thinks at best that it's 50/50 LA stays there.

I think Aldridge is starting to realize that he's not going to win in Portland. They're nowhere near a championship-caliber team right now, and they're likely going to lose their 3rd best player in Wes Matthews this offseason to FA. Lillard has also really been struggling as of late. They don't have much help elsewhere.

LA's in his prime and that window is likely the next 3-4 years, and he want to win now. I know money talks, and they can offer him more than anyone, but it's getting to the point where I'd actually be pretty surprised if he does stay there. The question is, where's the most likely destination? I'd think the 3 Texas teams would be the favorites.

Robz4000
04-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Blazerfans seem to think that if Aldridge leaves it'll be to the Spurs, fwiw. They bring up how he idolizes Duncan and possibly getting to play with him would be appealing.

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 09:08 PM
The media in Portland clearly cherishes their star players :lol

Robz4000
04-25-2015, 09:11 PM

If the Blazers end up getting swept Aldridge may just end up leaving tbh.

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Blazerfans seem to think that if Aldridge leaves it'll be to the Spurs, fwiw. They bring up how he idolizes Duncan and possibly getting to play with him would be appealing.

He'd likely only get to play with him for a year though :lol. I think all 3 Texas teams would be a legitimate good landing spot for him, although Spurs and Rockets seem more ideal. Dallas, with Dirk almost done and no other talent in sight, wouldn't be much of an improvement from Portland, tbh. But he's from Dallas so who knows. Maybe us being so close to Austin could help our cause. I know he still has friends there.

Robz4000
04-25-2015, 09:18 PM
He'd likely only get to play with him for a year though :lol. I think all 3 Texas teams would be a legitimate good landing spot for him, although Spurs and Rockets seem more ideal. Dallas, with Dirk almost done and no other talent in sight, wouldn't be much of an improvement from Portland, tbh. But he's from Dallas so who knows. Maybe us being so close to Austin could help our cause. I know he still has friends there.

Houston would have to gut their roster to get him tbh. Harden, dwert, and Aldridge would be great but the players around them would be awful.

Chinook
04-25-2015, 09:31 PM

Moving on from one of Green/Splitter/Diaw is the cleanest way to get that space. However, provided Duncan and Manu decide not to return, the Spurs could eek out the space by moving Mills, Anderson and LJC. They'd have a little over $19 Million in that scenario, while still having Parker (ugh), Green, Kawhi, Diaw and Splitter to got with their room exception and their draft pick for this year. Or they could stash their pick and keep Anderson/LJC.

Robz4000
04-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Moving on from one of Green/Splitter/Diaw is the cleanest way to get that space. However, provided Duncan and Manu decide not to return, the Spurs could eek out the space by moving Mills, Anderson and LJC. They'd have a little over $19 Million in that scenario, while still having Parker (ugh), Green, Kawhi, Diaw and Splitter to got with their room exception and their draft pick for this year. Or they could stash their pick and keep Anderson/LJC.

Think there's any chance Parker restructures his contract to give the Spurs more wiggle room? Is that even possible?

spurraider21
04-25-2015, 09:36 PM
i don't envision duncan retiring, and moving on from green/diaw/splitter just seems bad.

Think there's any chance Parker restructures his contract to give the Spurs more wiggle room? Is that even possible?
nba doesn't allow restructures/paycuts. only way a player could help a team is by declining a player option or somethin.

Cry Havoc
04-25-2015, 09:36 PM

LMA disapproves of the headline in the picture. :lol

cjw
04-25-2015, 09:40 PM
I think you need to examine oregon tax laws again.

Enlighten me, as I don't live there. I just know my Texas-based coworkers pay enough less in taxes than we do in NYC to pay for their car. I just used BankRate for Oregon:

For single taxpayers and married couples filing separate returns:

5 percent on the first $3,300 of taxable income.
7 percent on taxable income between $3,301 and $8,250.
9 percent on taxable income between $8,251 and $125,000
9.9 percent on taxable income of $125,001 and above.

ElNono
04-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Another option on the economic side could be to just offer him 15/2 with the promise of a max deal afterwards, which would be much more money, considering the cap situation.

NASpurs
04-25-2015, 09:46 PM
This thread is going to reach 100 pgs by June

Seventyniner
04-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Another option on the economic side could be to just offer him 15/2 with the promise of a max deal afterwards, which would be much more money, considering the cap situation.

Holy cap circumvention, Batman. Do you really want the Spurs to forfeit 5 first-round picks (or whatever it was) the way the Wolves did with Joe Smith?

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 09:52 PM

Not happening imo.

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 09:53 PM
This thread is going to reach 100 pgs by June

Easily. Basically any day the Spurs aren't playing, this thread will be visited as frequently as pornhub, tbh.

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 09:54 PM

Aside from the fact that such a deal would be a major violation of the CBA, if LMA wants a short term deal for the max there are multiple teams that would accommodate him. Dallas, the Knicks, and Portland for certain and there are likely several others.

ElNono
04-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Holy cap circumvention, Batman. Do you really want the Spurs to forfeit 5 first-round picks (or whatever it was) the way the Wolves did with Joe Smith?

There's no circumvention. He would be taking a calculated risk by signing a two year deal, and he would become a FA by then. The only thing that changes is that the Spurs would have bird rights and be able to max him out for an extra year.

For all we know, a bunch of FAs might take the short-term contract this summer, considering the upcoming cap increase.

ElNono
04-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Aside from the fact that such a deal would be a major violation of the CBA, if LMA wants a short term deal for the max there are multiple teams that would accommodate him. Dallas, the Knicks, and Portland for certain and there are likely several others.

Well, this is under the premise that he would want to come home with his family and play for a contender, something none of those teams can really offer (Dallas can only offer the home part).

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 09:58 PM
I know the Knicks and Lakers have been mentioned quite a bit as possible destinations for LA, and money talks, but if he does in fact decide to leave, I don't see any way he leaves Portland for a rebuilding situation, tbh.. especially at his age.

ElNono
04-25-2015, 09:58 PM
I'll be actually more impressed if he takes less money to come to the Spurs, displaying a belief and commitment to being a part of a winning culture.

It's clear that if he's just looking for money, he can simply stay in Portland.

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:01 PM
I'm watching him play right now, clanking soft jumpers, and I really do not want... but I guess we can't be picky.

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 10:02 PM
I'll be actually more impressed if he takes less money to come to the Spurs, displaying a belief and commitment to being a part of a winning culture.

It's clear that if he's just looking for money, he can simply stay in Portland.

Agreed. That's why I'm almost positive that if he leaves, it'll be for a Texas team. And even though Dallas is his hometown, they won't be a contender, even if they sign him imo. That leaves us and those turds over by the bay.

Beaverfuzz
04-25-2015, 10:02 PM
Enlighten me, as I don't live there. I just know my Texas-based coworkers pay enough less in taxes than we do in NYC to pay for their car. I just used BankRate for Oregon:

Bank rate is missing a tax rate. Lma would be in the 11.9 bracket

Beaverfuzz
04-25-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm watching him play right now, clanking soft jumpers, and I really do not want... but I guess we can't be picky.

A summer with duncan learning how to post up wouldnt hurt his game at all. Does he have that dedication???

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Tax differences won't even offset a semi-decent sponsoring deal. You can forget about discussing the tax difference, it's a waste of time.

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:05 PM
A summer with duncan learning how to post up wouldnt hurt his game at all. Does he have that dedication???

He's a finished product, IMO. What you see is what you get.

K...
04-25-2015, 10:05 PM

The issue is that every road game is taxed in the home jurisdiction. You play half your games on the road. 3/4 of those have state income tax, although a sw division team will play more away no tax games given the inter divisional schedule.

K...
04-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Tax differences won't even offset a semi-decent sponsoring deal. You can forget about discussing the tax difference, it's a waste of time.

I actually think San Antonio is hot enough to be a negligent loss to sponsorship. Also the spurs low key attitude is a function of Duncan. If LMA wants pimping by God the FO will pimp

Also in regards to Duncan not playing with Aldridge, I think Tim will be around enough so this won't matter. Player coach, kind of.

mkurts
04-25-2015, 10:11 PM
That 3 year, 43 million dollar extension is going to cost dearly.

Alridge may be soft but he can put points on the board instead of the team playing 4 on 5 all the time

Beaverfuzz
04-25-2015, 10:12 PM
Correct, plus any decent financial advisor and/or cpa will get around quite a bit of the state tax issues. That is not a hard concept.

CGD
04-25-2015, 10:12 PM

If fairness you could say the same thing about Gasol too.

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Well, this is under the premise that he would want to come home with his family and play for a contender, something none of those teams can really offer (Dallas can only offer the home part).

1. I can't see anyone leaving about 25M dollars on the table for those reasons.

2. Any promise for a future contract is a major violation of the CBA.

3. It would require a 3 year deal to establish full Bird Rights, so he'd be leaving well over 30M dollars on the table. I have a hard time seeing any pro athlete giving up that much money.

Beaverfuzz
04-25-2015, 10:13 PM

Fuck him then. I think he works on it if he truly wants to get over the hump no matter where he plays

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:15 PM

Gasol is a pretty great defender though.

Beaverfuzz
04-25-2015, 10:16 PM

Not even close. Gasol has a post up game

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:21 PM

3. It would require a 3 year deal to establish full Bird Rights, so he'd be leaving well over 30M dollars on the table. I have a hard time seeing any pro athlete giving up that much money.

It will be interesting to see what kind of max deals he'll get. What's clear is he'll be leaving money on the table if he takes any deal that's over two years long too. Due to the current weird cap situation, if there's any odds of pulling something like this off, this is the time.

Forget about the promise, although it's somewhat implied that if there's no major injury, he's worth a max extension. The Spurs can simply make clear they'll like a long-term relationship with him but can only pay so much this summer. Then it's up to him.

SPM
04-25-2015, 10:22 PM
0 for 6 in a must win Game 3 including an air ball lol. Dude is a nice player but $20 million???? Nah

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Correct, plus any decent financial advisor and/or cpa will get around quite a bit of the state tax issues. That is not a hard concept.

Over the summer, when the whole Lebron stuff was going on, they had a couple of sports cpas do the math, and it was negligible...

K...
04-25-2015, 10:26 PM

How do you hide salary? You can itemize, you can incur business loss, but the ira is capped.

Hiding profits is a business thing.Also investment income can be worked with, but straight ,w2 income is hard to avoid

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 10:29 PM
It will be interesting to see what kind of max deals he'll get. What's clear is he'll be leaving money on the table if he takes any deal that's over two years long too. Due to the current weird cap situation, if there's any odds of pulling something like this off, this is the time.

Forget about the promise, although it's somewhat implied that if there's no major injury, he's worth a max extension. The Spurs can simply make clear they'll like a long-term relationship with him but can only pay so much this summer. Then it's up to him.

For him to get that new TV deal max money from the Spurs as you've described, he'd have to sign a three year deal at a reduced rate. If he really wants that new deal money, it's really not that complicated. He can sign a one year with any team. The cap is going up around 25M dollars from 2015 to 2016. Nearly every team in the league will have at least one max cap space slot that summer. He can then sign a 4 year max deal with any team, no Bird Rights needed.

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:29 PM
How do you hide salary? You can itemize, you can incur business loss, but the ira is capped.

Hiding profits is a business thing.Also investment income can be worked with, but straight ,w2 income is hard to avoid

setup a charity. contribute to it. deduct contributions.

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:32 PM
For him to get that new TV deal max money from the Spurs as you've described, he'd have to sign a three year deal at a reduced rate. If he really wants that new deal money, it's really not that complicated. He can sign a one year with any team. The cap is going up around 25M dollars from 2015 to 2016. Nearly every team in the league will have at least one max cap space slot that summer. He can then sign a 4 year max deal with any team, no Bird Rights needed.

Why couldn't he sign a 2 year deal, and simply extend with the Spurs for the max before hitting Free Agency? Wouldn't that allow him to extend for the max and also the maximum years, or am I missing something?

K...
04-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Fwiw fair treatment of Parker is absolutely important to other FA looking at the org. We honor his contract. We don't salary dump stars. We don't bury them under young upstart talent without a fair trial.

Anything less than that would send a red flag up. This is what separates us from a team like sacto. Sacto, the team that can't do shit with a legit all star big man.

Mugen
04-25-2015, 10:35 PM
I believe you need to play 3 seasons with a team to get the Bird rights.

K...
04-25-2015, 10:36 PM
setup a charity. contribute to it. deduct contributions.

But you can't get that charity $ back without shady shit like paying salary to yourself or spouse. I watched breaking bad, I know this shit

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:39 PM
But you can't get that charity $ back without shady shit like paying salary to yourself or spouse. I watched breaking bad, I know this shit

somebody gotta run the charity, tbh...

then again, that's pretty amateur... im sure pro cpas have better ways...

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Why couldn't he sign a 2 year deal, and simply extend with the Spurs for the max before hitting Free Agency? Wouldn't that allow him to extend for the max and also the maximum years, or am I missing something?

Two problems there:

1. Only contracts at least 4 years in length can be extended.

2. The salary in the first year of the extension (his 5th season with the Spurs) would be based on the salary of histhe contract's 4th year, a number that would be substantially less than the max salary for a player with his years of service.

Like I said, the quickest road to the money is a one year deal this summer.

ElNono
04-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Two problems there:

1. Only contracts at least 4 years in length can be extended.

2. The salary in the first year of the extension (his 5th season with the Spurs) would be based on the salary of histhe contract's 4th year, a number that would be substantially less than the max salary for a player with his years of service.

Like I said, the quickest road to the money is a one year deal this summer.

so, I was missing something :lol

thanks Mel!

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 10:51 PM
so, I was missing something :lol

thanks Mel!
:bobo

ducks
04-25-2015, 11:22 PM
We shall see if Portland is first choice is not a good sign for portland

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 11:59 PM
I'm seeing way more hate on Aldridge in this thread than is warranted, tbh. Tonight's game is not at all indicative of the type of player he is. Just look at his numbers and %'s this year. He's been great.

*It should also be noted that he's been playing with a torn ligament in his left thumb that he suffered back in January, hence the brace on his left hand. He could've easily opted to undergo the surgery as planned back then, but he offered to put off the surgery until after the season and play hurt cause of the tight playoff race in the West. He's talked about how it limits his ability to play, and he's still put up 23 pts, 10 boards, & 1 block per this year with a 22.85 PER.

BatManu20
04-26-2015, 12:01 AM
These are all games played within the last month or two. Huge games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctq0HSIhig8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f80Ojw-byPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kavnc4wRS-I

BatManu20
04-26-2015, 12:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv3vIYCmtAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7rAN58ZMKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S6tqd4prGM

BatManu20
04-26-2015, 12:05 AM
And of course, his monster performance against the Rockets in last years OT win in Round 2 of the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtsf8S154Cw

DMC
04-26-2015, 12:09 AM
LMA probably isn't coming to SA. However you'd be stupid to not jump on that. That's better than a 1st overall pick other than the salary. If Spurs trainers can teach Blair to shoot FTs, teach Leonard to shoot the 3, teach Danny to play defense, teach people like Baynes and Joseph how to contribute, they'd probably turn LMA into a stud. I wouldn't turn that down.

spursparker9
04-26-2015, 12:11 AM
And teach Dick Jefferson how to be a dick

ElNono
04-26-2015, 12:26 AM
His team lost half the games on those Youtubes...

If you want to look at his defense, here's a pretty good video breaking down Aldrige interior defense:

KVjqunFdr8U

Grit and Grind
04-26-2015, 12:26 AM
LMA probably isn't coming to SA. However you'd be stupid to not jump on that. That's better than a 1st overall pick other than the salary. If Spurs trainers can teach Blair to shoot FTs, teach Leonard to shoot the 3, teach Danny to play defense, teach people like Baynes and Joseph how to contribute, they'd probably turn LMA into a stud. I wouldn't turn that down.
Hes already a stud lool tf

RD2191
04-26-2015, 12:27 AM
His team lost half the games on those Youtubes...

If you want to look at his defense, here's a pretty good video breaking down Aldrige interior defense:

KVjqunFdr8U
Lmao

DMC
04-26-2015, 12:35 AM
Hes already a stud lool tf
He's a 2nd tier star. He doesn't get the love that even Blake Griffin gets. He's not really had a good coach or good system to play in.

Grit and Grind
04-26-2015, 12:39 AM
He's a 2nd tier star. He doesn't get the love that even Blake Griffin gets. He's not really had a good coach or good system to play in.
He's a top ten player and you act like Terry Scott's is Wittman or Dwayne Casey I'd say dude is a decent coach, Blazers don't need much to contend tbh

ducks
04-26-2015, 12:42 AM
You have splitter for d

DMC
04-26-2015, 12:59 AM
He's a top ten player and you act like Terry Scott's is Wittman or Dwayne Casey I'd say dude is a decent coach, Blazers don't need much to contend tbh

Decent coaches are a dime a dozen. Blazers have never needed much to contend, yet they don't ever contend.

peacemaker885
04-26-2015, 01:03 AM

Agree. A ring can't feed your family...and its not a guarantee that you get a championship. Kawhi could get injured, Pop may decide to retire, etc. Anything can happen but a signed contract is guaranteed $$$$

heyheymymy
04-26-2015, 05:42 AM
Pau Gasol part 2. The money just won't work. Not really looking to give up Mills, Green or Splitter to do this.

tspence'd

z0sa
04-26-2015, 06:03 AM

Agreed.

I think a major "issue" is who we're comparing him to, or if not directly comparing, at least who we want him to ultimately replace - Timmy. There's no replacement for Tim. One just hopes for a solid talent, who knows how to fill his role.

Im on the fence. The Kawhi/Green combo is the stuff of legends, at least if youre going off advanced stats (and relatively speaking, 26 or so teams have never even come close to the type of run weve had just these past three seasons). Like Ive said before, Im no expert on the financial side of things. I trust in RC taking care of business.

100%duncan
04-26-2015, 08:05 AM

Yup. I'd be happy with DG+Kawhi with supporting cast of Tiago, Parker, Mills, another sf, locked up long-term plus Aldridge and fillers

spursparker9
04-26-2015, 09:44 AM
From Jason Quick of The Oregonian:

There is unease about the future of LaMarcus Aldridge, who will become a free agent on July 1. ESPN’s Chris Broussard on Saturday reported that he asked Aldridge if Portland is his No. 1 choice. Broussard said Aldridge smiled and said “We’ll see.”

And after Game 2 in Memphis, Olshey gave the team the option to stay the night and fly home on the team charter, or return to Portland on their own.

Take it for what it’s worth, but only one player wasn’t on the team charter: Aldridge.

“I didn’t want to stay in that hotel one more night,” Aldridge said on Saturday. “So I bought my own ticket and flew home.”

Having stayed in Memphis hotels, I don’t halfway blame Aldridge for wanting to get back to Portland as soon as possible. But it also doesn’t scream brotherhood, or togetherness, either.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/26/lamarcus-aldridge-flew-back-to-portland-after-game-2-loss-while-rest-of-blazers-stayed-in-memphis/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

CGD
04-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Not even close. Gasol has a post up game

Per the original post, The reference was to last nights game. At the time he was, like LA, putting up some weak ass elbow range jumpers. That said his D was better to be sure.

Beaverfuzz
04-26-2015, 11:25 AM
Over the summer, when the whole Lebron stuff was going on, they had a couple of sports cpas do the math, and it was negligible...

Oregon is a different state, those cpas didnt do their homework

Beaverfuzz
04-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Plenty of ways to defer income, legally too.

Beaverfuzz
04-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Per the original post, The reference was to last nights game. At the time he was, like LA, putting up some weak ass elbow range jumpers. That said his D was better to be sure.

Per the op, gasol >>>lma