PDA

View Full Version : Best First Season by a Show

IronMexican
04-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Nothing comes close to The Sopranos' first season imo.

cantthinkofanything
04-21-2015, 04:20 PM

I'm not sure there is much point tbh as far as #1. Some other good ones though...Breaking Bad and the Wire. It's been a long time but Miami Vice was awesome it's first season.

IronMexican
04-21-2015, 04:40 PM
BB's first season was pretty average sand the last two or three episodes.

IronMexican
04-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Sans

Spurminator
04-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Homeland's up there. Subsequent seasons notwithstanding.

Spurminator
04-21-2015, 04:43 PM
True Detective.

Infinite_limit
04-21-2015, 04:46 PM
http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/MR_SELFRIDGE.jpg

cantthinkofanything
04-21-2015, 04:52 PM
True Detective.

oh yeahhhhhh....right.
Although I guess it could be looked at as first and last as each one will be a different story with different actors.

Agree that BB was just OK for most of the first season but the last half or so is what hooked me.

Fpoonsie
04-21-2015, 04:54 PM

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mynicca1.png

ChumpDumper
04-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Homicide: Life on the Street. Go ahead and include season two since it was only four episodes two go with the nine from season one.

ohmwrecker
04-21-2015, 06:50 PM
True Detective.

baseline bum
04-21-2015, 08:13 PM

First 10 minutes you knew that show was going to be legendary. As soon as I saw that meeting outside Satriale's I was hooked. And then Tony running that guy down in Chris' Lexus. :lol

Still, Chris shooting that guy in the foot was the highlight of the season. Was dying laughing when I saw that since he played Spider in Goodfellas.

CyqYHT6nRaA

v8wJt59Q6So

MultiTroll
04-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Rescue Me

DJR210
04-21-2015, 09:27 PM
1. Sopranos
2. Breaking Bad

Not sure where I'd rank it at this point, but Orange is the New Black was pretty solid IMO, prison lesbians or not

Infinite_limit
04-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Rescue Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJpziU7wSs

*season 2 but connects with this sub-forum

cantthinkofanything
04-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Homicide: Life on the Street. Go ahead and include season two since it was only four episodes two go with the nine from season one.Damn. I forgot about that show. Excellent.

dirk4mvp
04-21-2015, 09:37 PM
The Wire

Dexter was also a good show during this time imho

The Reckoning
04-21-2015, 10:08 PM
MASH

Mugen
04-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Dexter had a great first season.

Technique
04-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Dexter had a great first season.

Tonight's the night

Blake
04-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Lost

Infinite_limit
04-21-2015, 10:46 PM
"Hitler"

- random American channel

MultiTroll
04-21-2015, 10:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJpziU7wSs

*season 2 but connects with this sub-forum
Def one of the best scenes concur. :lol
ChumpDumper the instructor with his stupid loaded questions. Getting shot down. :lol

z0sa
04-21-2015, 11:36 PM
Star Trek TNG

mrsmaalox
04-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Downton Abbey :D

Darth_Pelican
04-22-2015, 11:11 AM
True Detective

Malik Hairston
04-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Not the best, but while we're here, anybody watch Rectify?

CavsSuperFan
04-22-2015, 11:20 AM
1st Season

1- Sopranos
2- Drew Carey
3- Gossip Girl

Floyd Pacquiao
04-22-2015, 11:20 AM
True Detective

Malik Hairston
04-22-2015, 11:21 AM
1st Season

1- Sopranos
2- Drew Carey
3- Gossip Girl

:lol I watched a season of GG with my girl a few months ago..wow, such a terrible show..

IronMaxipad
04-22-2015, 11:29 AM
True Detective.

redzero
04-22-2015, 11:43 AM
True Detective gets my vote, since the first season was basically a mini-series that tied everything together in the end. After that, The Wire is the clear second. The Sopranos comes in third, with Breaking Bad in fourth.

JMarkJohns
04-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Good ones named already. A few I haven't seen:

Californication (season 1 and 6 only great seasons)
Homeland (best season of the series, should have allowed plot to end as writer wished)
Terriers (fun show, had more potential, got lost in FX programming)

Better than average series, but not best season of series:

Banshee
Justified
Scrubs

baseline bum
04-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Homeland (best season of the series, should have allowed plot to end as writer wished)

How was that? With Brody executing the suicide bombing with the VP? Or with the show ending once he was hanged?

hater
04-22-2015, 12:43 PM
ALF

Leetonidas
04-22-2015, 01:12 PM

Infinite_limit
04-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Downton Abbey :D
Do you watch Selfridge babe?

JMarkJohns
04-22-2015, 01:22 PM
How was that? With Brody executing the suicide bombing with the VP? Or with the show ending once he was hanged?

I've read the original plot for the series was similar to that of True Detective with at least radically new story lines and characters, if not entirely new storyline a and characters.

Writers had Carrie justified when Brody blew up the brass.

Producers changed it for a second season, which was solid, but unspectacular, which lead to a horrible third season. Aside from the final episode, season 4 had more upside than 2/3.

Frank Dux
04-22-2015, 01:56 PM
First 10 minutes you knew that show was going to be legendary. As soon as I saw that meeting outside Satriale's I was hooked. And then Tony running that guy down in Chris' Lexus. :lol

Still, Chris shooting that guy in the foot was the highlight of the season. Was dying laughing when I saw that since he played Spider in Goodfellas.

I felt the same way. I was a big fan Oz and that show had me primed to watch HBO greatness.

Funny thing about the first season of Sopranos. You don't really notice it the first time around but if you go back and watch the first few episodes after you've already seen the whole series, there are some creative elements that are a bit over the top compared to the rest of the series. Like the external music and extreme camera angle they use in front of Satriale's, and the constant references to the Godfather. After a few episodes, they settle into the voice that is more consistent with the rest of the series.

Same thing happened in the first few episodes of Six Feet Under with the random commercials for funeral supplies done like commercials for everyday household products. It's like they really wanted to wow the audience but realized early on that they didn't need all that.

cantthinkofanything
04-22-2015, 02:07 PM

Is that good for real? I watched DA for a couple of seasons.

baseline bum
04-22-2015, 02:19 PM
I felt the same way. I was a big fan Oz and that show had me primed to watch HBO greatness.

Funny thing about the first season of Sopranos. You don't really notice it the first time around but if you go back and watch the first few episodes after you've already seen the whole series, there are some creative elements that are a bit over the top compared to the rest of the series. Like the external music and extreme camera angle they use in front of Satriale's, and the constant references to the Godfather. After a few episodes, they settle into the voice that is more consistent with the rest of the series.

Same thing happened in the first few episodes of Six Feet Under with the random commercials for funeral supplies done like commercials for everyday household products. It's like they really wanted to wow the audience but realized early on that they didn't need all that.

Yeah, the camera angles and light for the Satriale's meeting in Episode 1 very really different from the rest of the series. I liked the touch though, since we're not seeing it as it happens but as it's described to Melfi. The Godfather references are never ending on the show though. Like in Tony's dream with Annette Benning saying she doesn't want her husband coming out the bathroom with just his dick in his hand. Or AJ trying to be Michael Coreleone by going after Junior. Or Members Only Guy going into the bathroom in the last scene of the series, supposedly to grab the gun to come shoot Tony in the back of the head when the screen goes black.

Chomag
04-22-2015, 02:44 PM
I thought the first season of Hell on Wheels was pretty good, its pretty shit now though. I havnt seen many of the main ones out there so I cant say what might be best ones.

cantthinkofanything
04-22-2015, 03:00 PM
forgot about this one...

My So Called Life

Medvedenko
04-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Lost
True Detective
Heroes
Portlandia
Game of Thrones
Ray Donovan

Frank Dux
04-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Yeah, the camera angles and light for the Satriale's meeting in Episode 1 very really different from the rest of the series. I liked the touch though, since we're not seeing it as it happens but as it's described to Melfi. The Godfather references are never ending on the show though. Like in Tony's dream with Annette Benning saying she doesn't want her husband coming out the bathroom with just his dick in his hand. Or AJ trying to be Michael Coreleone by going after Junior. Or Members Only Guy going into the bathroom in the last scene of the series, supposedly to grab the gun to come shoot Tony in the back of the head when the screen goes black.

For sure. The references never really cease, and the final scene of the series certainly comes across as the final reference. But they had Sil doing his "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back" impression like four or fives in that first episode. :lol Still pretty funny though.

JMarkJohns
04-22-2015, 07:38 PM
http://youtu.be/gQ7yaQhXJAI

This show was fantastic. Equal parts drama, comedy, sarcasm, tits, drugs, rock n roll.

I mean, Moody's book is named God Hates Us All after the Slayer album.

Wish the rest of the series matched season 1.

Malik Hairston
04-22-2015, 07:49 PM
I disagree with Breaking Bad, I wasn't a huge fan of the first 2 seasons, tbh..I still enjoyed it and continued watching, but it's a rare example of a show that progressively improved IMO..

Malik Hairston
04-22-2015, 07:51 PM

Oz is still one of the most underrated shows of all-time IMO..rarely mentioned when discussing the best shows of the past 20 years..

It's still funny seeing JK Simmons in movies like Whiplash, that nigga will always be Schillinger to me:lol..

DesignatedT
04-22-2015, 08:01 PM
True Detective :tu

I'll say House of Cards Season 1 as well. Great first season. Seasons 2 and 3 - meh.

JMarkJohns
04-22-2015, 08:01 PM
I disagree with Breaking Bad, I wasn't a huge fan of the first 2 seasons, tbh..I still enjoyed it and continued watching, but it's a rare example of a show that progressively improved IMO..

Exactly. There was some really strong characters, and a meandering plot that sometimes lost itself in its own ambition. Toward the end of season 1 you could tell it was gaining steam, but it wasn't until Gus was introduced the show found its stride. Which is fine, because now we as fans can feel all nostalgic about the early flounderings knowing how great it ended up. But the show didn't not hit the ground running. It, like Justified, needed time and more room to grow because the premise was too big for its own good.

Then you have shows that just dominated the first season and remained steady. And then
You have shows that were great to begin with, but had no longterm or big picture success.

lefty
04-22-2015, 08:09 PM
X-Files and Daredevil

Frank Dux
04-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Oz is still one of the most underrated shows of all-time IMO..rarely mentioned when discussing the best shows of the past 20 years..

It's still funny seeing JK Simmons in movies like Whiplash, that nigga will always be Schillinger to me:lol..

I still think Schillinger was one of the most disturbing, frightening characters that I've ever seen on television. Being that Oz was the first thing I ever saw him in and he was on for the whole series, it's tough to change that perception of him.

Hilarious too seeing him in the insurance commercials. I'm like, this dude used to be a prison Nazi that would rape and now he's slangin' insurance! :lol

Blizzardwizard
04-23-2015, 10:15 AM
House of Cards 1st season

JudynTX
04-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Bloodline

mrsmaalox
04-23-2015, 12:14 PM

I saw the first season, need to catch up. 2nd season is good? I kind of struggled at first because although I like so many strong female characters, a lot of them look alike and it was confusing to figure out who was who :)

mrsmaalox
04-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Bloodline

This is the one I'm interested in. Hoping to start it this week so I have something to pass the time between Spurs games.