PDA

View Full Version : Didn't catch the game...Did Joey Crawford had an "impact"?

spursparker9
04-23-2015, 06:55 AM
As per title :lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Joey has been my favorite ref for the Spurs over the past 3 for 4 years. He is very impartial now. Called a fair game. Might not have called a few moving screens against the Clips, which is why Pop got the tech. But again, he was the baseline ref of that particular play.

But he got pissed at Rivers in the 2nd quarter and that boded well for the Spurs down the stretch.

tmtcsc
04-23-2015, 07:10 AM
J Might not have called a few moving screens against the Clips, which is why Pop got the tech.

Pop got the tech because the refs didn't call an intentional foul that Tim was trying to commit on Jordan. The result of the non-call was a 3 pointer by JJ Reddick. Joey was not the baseline ref on that play. It was the black ref I believe.

spursparker9
04-23-2015, 07:16 AM
Joey has been my favorite ref for the Spurs over the past 3 for 4 years. He is very impartial now. Called a fair game. Might not have called a few moving screens against the Clips, which is why Pop got the tech. But again, he was the baseline ref of that particular play.

But he got pissed at Rivers in the 2nd quarter and that boded well for the Spurs down the stretch.

I see. Thanks for the insight

Old School 44
04-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Crawford still an ass, but I'll say this, he's not intimidated by the home crowd.

urunobili
04-23-2015, 08:46 AM
The Paul offensive chicken wings not called, the should have been flagrant on Barnes when targeting Manu's neck (they even reviewed that one) and the non called hack a Jordan that make Reddick hit the three that put them down 2. other than that it was fairly called.

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2015, 10:19 AM
I thought the most telling moment with Joey last night was that he was letting Pop go ballistic about the non-call on the intentional foul with Jordan and seemed inclined to just let him have his say. When Garretson gave the technical, the look Joey gave to Pop seemed to suggest that he didn't like that technical but he couldn't overrule Garretson on it. Joey seemed to know what was on the line last night and why there would be frustration over a missed call at a crucial juncture. A few years ago, with Pop raging the way he was at that point of a road game, I don't think there's any doubt that Joey would have rung him up -- I also don't think that Pop would have taken that tack with Joey a few years ago.

By the way, there were a couple of points during the game last night where Tim was obviously frustrated with the officiating, and when that happened, he seemed to address those complaints (usually about other officials) to Joey, who seemed able to have a calm discussion with Tim about the issue, which I thought was pretty awesome.

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Pop got the tech because the refs didn't call an intentional foul that Tim was trying to commit on Jordan. The result of the non-call was a 3 pointer by JJ Reddick. Joey was not the baseline ref on that play. It was the black ref I believe.

It was Sean Wright.

Budkin
04-23-2015, 10:20 AM
He's a great road ref tbh.

100%duncan
04-23-2015, 10:24 AM
I thought the most telling moment with Joey last night was that he was letting Pop go ballistic about the non-call on the intentional foul with Jordan and seemed inclined to just let him have his say. When Garretson gave the technical, the look Joey gave to Pop seemed to suggest that he didn't like that technical but he couldn't overrule Garretson on it. Joey seemed to know what was on the line last night and why there would be frustration over a missed call at a crucial juncture. A few years ago, with Pop raging the way he was at that point of a road game, I don't think there's any doubt that Joey would have rung him up -- I also don't think that Pop would have taken that tack with Joey a few years ago.

By the way, there were a couple of points during the game last night where Tim was obviously frustrated with the officiating, and when that happened, he seemed to address those complaints (usually about other officials) to Joey, who seemed able to have a calm discussion with Tim about the issue, which I thought was pretty awesome.

:tu

RD2191
04-23-2015, 10:25 AM
I said before the game that Joey don't give a fuck. He might be a dick but he's a dick to everyone.:lol

Spurs 4 The Win
04-23-2015, 10:25 AM
He loves to go against the crowd, and he doesnt like Doc Rivers, so there is that. I dont mind him on the road but I still dont want him at home.

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2015, 10:32 AM
To dispel some of the "Joey is bad for the Spurs" mythology, since 2012 (the reopening of the title window, really), the Spurs are now 8-4 in playoff games officiated by Joey, with all 4 of those losses being on the road in either Miami or Oklahoma City. 1 of those losses was Game 6 in Miami in 2013 (a game the Spurs should have won), and another was Game 6 in OKC in 2012 (a debacle that was fueled substantially by Bill Kennedy and Rodney Mott). They're even 5-4 on the road with Joey in that span.

For the record, here are all the Joey games in the last 4 playoff seasons:

WINS
2015 WCFR @ LAC, Game 2
2014 NBAF @ MIA, Game 4
2014 WCSF v. PRT, Game 2
2014 WCFR v. DAL, Game 1
2013 WCF @ MEM, Game 3
2013 WCSF @ GST, Game 6
2012 WCF v. OKC, Game 1
2012 WCSF @ LAC, Game 4

LOSSES
2014 WCF @ OKC, Game 4
2013 NBAF @ MIA, Game 6
2013 NBAF @ MIA, Game 2
2012 WCF @ OKC, Game 6

peacemaker885
04-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Joey, IMO is one of the best referees in the NBA today. He was a douche with Timmy before, but we should put that behind us. The man paid his dues.

TheGreatYacht
04-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Best road ref a team can wish for, tbh..

Fireball
04-23-2015, 10:43 AM
It was crazy that Pop discussed something relatively calm with Joey and then the other ref out of nowhere T'd him up ... If Joey had the authority he would have overruled his colleague I guess ...

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2015, 11:02 AM
It was crazy that Pop discussed something relatively calm with Joey and then the other ref out of nowhere T'd him up ... If Joey had the authority he would have overruled his colleague I guess ...

Oh, Pop was hot; I don't think even "relatively calm" is correct.

What I thought was fascinating about that sequence is that as the time out was taken, Wright was near Popovich and was starting to hear from him. Like a good official who blew a call should -- particularly in the 4th quarter of a playoff game -- Wright understood that he needed to get away from Pop and walked deliberately to the other end of the floor without ever saying a word. Pop then started in with Joey and made an animated motion toward Wright, which I think was likely intended as a way to express his frustration with Wright while appearing to talk to Joey. Joey seemed to be letting Pop have his say, knowing that his crew missed something. Garretson, who was behind the Pop/Joey conversation, decided to interject himself to protect Wright from Pop's ire. It's an interesting call from him, given that neither of the two real objects of Pop's fury seemed inclined to give him a technical.

maverick1948
04-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Oh, Pop was hot; I don't think even "relatively calm" is correct.

What I thought was fascinating about that sequence is that as the time out was taken, Wright was near Popovich and was starting to hear from him. Like a good official who blew a call should -- particularly in the 4th quarter of a playoff game -- Wright understood that he needed to get away from Pop and walked deliberately to the other end of the floor without ever saying a word. Pop then started in with Joey and made an animated motion toward Wright, which I think was likely intended as a way to express his frustration with Wright while appearing to talk to Joey. Joey seemed to be letting Pop have his say, knowing that his crew missed something. Garretson, who was behind the Pop/Joey conversation, decided to interject himself to protect Wright from Pop's ire. It's an interesting call from him, given that neither of the two real objects of Pop's fury seemed inclined to give him a technical.

Yes relative calm works for me. I have seen Pop go off at lot worse many times.

weeks
04-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Yeah Joey is actually one of the better refs for us...you know he's not gonna make the same mistake twice to screw us over, and i feel like he goes out of his way now to be impartial when the spurs play...

plus he definitely loves getting the home crowd all riled up. love it.

elbamba
04-23-2015, 02:55 PM

Pop got the tech because Duncan tried to intentionally foul Jordan and they did not call it which allowed Reddick to hit a 3 pointer.

The offensive foul should have been called but the refs generally let Jordan and Blake get away with it. Duncan too so I can't complain.

therealtruth
04-23-2015, 07:41 PM
Survived the Joey game.