PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker achilles injury thread

Uriel
04-23-2015, 08:46 AM
LOS ANGELES -- Add right Achilles to the list of injuries sustained thus far by Tony Parker (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker) over the first two games of San Antonio's Western Conference playoff series against the Los Angeles Clippers (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/lac/los-angeles-clippers). Parker left with a little more than five minutes left to play in the fourth quarter Wednesday night in the team's 111-107 overtime win (http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400790947) over the Clippers due to tightness in his right Achilles, and his status for Game 3 is uncertain. Parker also tweaked his left ankle during the team's Game 1 loss, in addition to suffering a bruise on his left quadriceps.

Tony Parker was 0-for-6 from the field in Wednesday's win. "I honestly don't know," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said when asked to update Parker's condition. "He went to the locker room and didn't come back."

Parker played nearly 30 minutes in Wednesday's win over the Clippers, but contributed only one point, and missed all six of his field goal attempts. Even though Parker had five assists and one steal, perhaps the injuries played a role in his lack of production.

Back on April 7, Parker was forced to leave a rout of the Oklahoma City Thunder (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/okc/oklahoma-city-thunder) due to tightness in his right Achilles, and after Wednesday's game acknowledged he suffered the same injury against the Clippers.

Spurs forward Tim Duncan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan) said he's "very concerned" about Parker's injury.

"I hope he's able to play and play well for us," Duncan said. "We need him for that. He's a big part of what we do. So him not at 100 percent hurts us. But we'll see. He's a gamer. He's going to go, and he's going to get treatment for the next 48 hours. And when that ball goes up, I guarantee he'll be out there because that's the kind of player he is."

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/12746266/2015-nba-playoffs-tony-parker-san-antonio-spurs-leaves-tight-right-achilles (http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/12746266/2015-nba-playoffs-tony-parker-san-antonio-spurs-leaves-tight-right-achilles)

Should we be concerned about this injury going forward? We may have gotten away with the win this time around, but the Spurs aren't going anywhere without a healthy Tony.

100%duncan
04-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Pretty sure they went to the finals and won it without a healthy Tony last year.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Should we be concerned about this injury going forward? We may have gotten away with the win this time around, but the Spurs aren't going anywhere without a healthy Tony.

Yes they are. If Patty continues to play like he did tonight, Spurs don't need Parker. I say play him minimal minutes and let Cojo and Mills carry the load at home.

Last night Parker had about 4 or 5 occasion where he could have done his one man fast break and just let up. That clearly told me he is not even 80% healthy. He is definitely hurting and Pop should just ride the Patty wave right now and let Tony heal up.

Fireball
04-23-2015, 08:53 AM
As mentioned in another thread I see the Spurs get to the WCF without him, but even further ... I doubt it.

hater
04-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Damn great words from Duncan towards our MVP.

spursparker9
04-23-2015, 09:07 AM
As mentioned in another thread I see the Spurs get to the WCF without him, but even further ... I doubt it.

I dunno. Houston seems great...or is it Dallas self-destruction? :lol

kaji157
04-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Last year we had to closeout games without him and we did fine.
I think we can manage for the next game and see if he is better for the second game at home.
Plus, with the resurgence of Patty, Ginobili would be able to return to the role hehad in last year´s playoffs at what he excelled.
Cory Joseph should replace Parker as the starter role, and we must solidify our second unit of Patty, Manu, Beli, Tiago and Bonner.
It would be nice if Bonner also awakens.

Seventyniner
04-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Right now, Parker = Kobe. And not in a good way.

lmbebo
04-23-2015, 09:23 AM
We ain't getting too far without Parker

in2deep
04-23-2015, 09:23 AM
We ain't getting too far without Parker

he will be needed most vs. Houston

get well parker

lefty
04-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Lol faking injuries like Kobe

RD2191
04-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Lol faking injuries like Kobe

K...
04-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Lol fan fiction

Perry Mason
04-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Pretty sure they went to the finals and won it without a healthy Tony last year.

Tony still played like a top-50 player in the 2014 playoffs. Came up big in each series, despite inconsistency game to game.

This current version of Tony that can't score is a very serious issue. The reason the Spurs offense worked last night when Tony was on the floor was that, unlike Spurstalk trolls, Tony still commands a ton of respect from the players, coaches and defense. Clippers gameplan for Tony and his penetration still results in switches and rotations, which opens up opportunities for the motion offense.

If the Clippers let up on the defense of Tony and he can't capitalize, then the Spurs will be in more trouble.

in2deep
04-23-2015, 10:14 AM
yup. even Reggie Miller was saying tonight Parker is getting into the paint which helps the Spurs.

gameFACE
04-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Yes they are. If Patty continues to play like he did tonight, Spurs don't need Parker. I say play him minimal minutes and let Cojo and Mills carry the load at home.

Last night Parker had about 4 or 5 occasion where he could have done his one man fast break and just let up. That clearly told me he is not even 80% healthy. He is definitely hurting and Pop should just ride the Patty wave right now and let Tony heal up.

This. Patty and CoJo are okay in the interim but long term a healthy TP is needed.

Rondo leaving may actually help Dallas win a couple of games but Houston will win the series.

SpursFan0728
04-23-2015, 10:32 AM
tony has been pulling this trick way too often this year.

Knoxxx
04-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Parker is hurting the team with all his explosiveness gone. He's so gimpy he can't even shoot a jumper. 11 points, 6 assists in two games. 4 for 17 shooting. In 59 minutes!

I am as big a fan of TP as anyone, but we won despite him last night. 5 assists but only 1 point on 0-6 shooting.

The team has not really ever been reliant on TP as a playmaker. We can't win playing 4 on 5 in the playoffs. Mills brings scoring and energy more than sufficient for us and has huge Juevos.

TP was abysmal in our closeout game against Miami yet we still dominated. He caught fire late in that game but it's not like we didn't have a murderer's row of assailants that couldn't have done the same thing in driving those nails into Miami's coffin.

100%duncan
04-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Parker is hurting the team with all his explosiveness gone. He's so gimpy he can't even shoot a jumper. 11 points, 6 assists in two games. 4 for 17 shooting. In 59 minutes!

I am as big a fan of TP as anyone, but we won despite him last night. 5 assists but only 1 point on 0-6 shooting.

The team has not really ever been reliant on TP as a playmaker. We can't win playing 4 on 5 in the playoffs. Mills brings scoring and energy more than sufficient for us and has huge Juevos.

TP was abysmal in our closeout game against Miami yet we still dominated. He caught fire late in that game but it's not like we didn't have a murderer's row of assailants that couldn't have done the same thing in driving those nails into Miami's coffin.

Pretty much this but some guys just wont get it. Dont bother explaining.

Fireball

Hmm, Dallas looked horrible an they were in the second game for 3 quarters. Houston is a tough matchup, but overall we might not need TP to beat them. Golden State instead is so good overall that all hands on deck are required.

100%duncan

Pretty much this but some guys just wont get it. Dont bother explaining.

Trill Clinton
04-23-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm more concerned with pop playing tp so many minutes when he's obviously going half speed.

SpursFan86
04-23-2015, 10:45 AM
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Popovich-Rivers-sad-to-see-colleague-fired-6218137.php?t=6637903dea927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-premium

"It's been a tough year, but I think I'll be all right," said Parker, who left Wednesday's game with five minutes and 10 seconds left in the fourth quarter with soreness in his right Achilles tendon.

Parker said the injury was the same as that which he suffered in a game in Oklahoma City on April 7.

"Same thing, same thing," he said. "I think I put too much pressure on the right ankle because of the soreness in my left ankle."

Beaverfuzz
04-23-2015, 10:54 AM
No matter what happens these playoffs, Tony is going to have to take a serious look at getting healthier over the summer (and in better shape) if he wants to continue to be a top PG in the NBA.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-23-2015, 10:55 AM
No matter what happens these playoffs, Tony is going to have to take a serious look at getting healthier over the summer (and in better shape) if he wants to continue to be a top PG in the NBA.

Time to hit the Duncan regiment for his diet to be honest.

RD2191
04-23-2015, 10:58 AM
tony needs to take a trip to south beach or overseas to germany

cd98
04-23-2015, 11:03 AM
No question he needs to take the summer off. He's played so many games during his career, that he is not a normal NBA 32 year old. Some will question if he is really injured. I don't. He looked slow, which is out of character for a guy that is still recognized as one of the fastest players in the NBA. He needs every bit of that speed to be effective, so any injury that slows him down at 32, can really cause him to produce subpar performances. This is a tough series to not have your starting point guard because Chris Paul is so good, and while our backups can win a game or two, I'd be worried about them holding up after Rivers has time to game plan Tony being out. I also think it is nonsense to compare Tony to Rondo. For one, Tony is a capable scorer and can make free throws. Even when he is having an off shooting night, the opposing team is not going to let him get his shots or put a subpar defender on him. Second, Rondo quit on the team. Tony isn't quitting on the Spurs. We have a team of character guys, and if Tony was a quitter, Pop would have dropped him long ago. Rondo and Tony may both be struggling right now, but Tony's struggles are likely injury related, while Rondo's are that he could never shoot and now he is pouting and not trying because RC is not giving him the reins.

K...
04-23-2015, 11:03 AM

Disagree with hurt. Defense yes, not really. He's mostly a non issue.

You were a big fan. Now you're off he list.

I have a special hearty lol for this one. Rely? Yeah I guess we could wear out number one and number two options: Tim and Manu. Sucks having a guy who could break down defenses when we already had two.

Yup, would totally be cool if that could happen all time every time and of we had those murderers row back in 2004-2012.-

SupremeGuy
04-23-2015, 11:06 AM
We basically won last year without him...

Mugen
04-23-2015, 11:08 AM
this series isn't for Porky tbh.

Hemotivo
04-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Eva Longoria says hubby Tony Parker fakes on-court injuries
Malaysia Sun

Wednesday 23rd January, 2008
(ANI)

Washington, January 23 : Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria has revealed that her husband, basketball player Tony Parker, often fakes his on-court injuries.

The actress says that she really finds it difficult to watch her husband play for the San Antonio Spurs because she never knows when he is actually hurt, and when he is acting.

"Sometimes he acts to get the flagrant foul or, to sell the foul more, he'll throw himself on the floor and really play it up more than what it is," Contactmusic quoted her as saying.

"I really don't know what the difference is so I'm like, 'Stop laying on the ground if you're not hurt. Just get up!' He's like, 'Honey, I have to stay on the ground sometimes.' But I get really nervous, it's nail biting," she added.

:reading

cd98
04-23-2015, 11:10 AM

Sorry, but I heartily disagree. Sure he had uneven performances, but he had some great performances in each series. Losing our starting point guard and best ball handler would be big. Sure some guys can step up, but teams can take advantage of our bench players' weaknesses when they have time to game plan. Notice how the Spurs mostly could not play Cojo because his lack of an offense give allows the Clippers to play 4 on 5 and it just kills the Spurs offense. Have my worries about Patty playing big minutes as well, but love what he did yesterday...he's definitely back to playing his game.

hater
04-23-2015, 11:11 AM

years with Manu do that to anyone tbh

Hemotivo
04-23-2015, 11:12 AM
"He went to the locker room and didn't come back."

:wow

hater
Sorry, but I heartily disagree. Sure he had uneven performances, but he had some great performances in each series. Losing our starting point guard and best ball handler would be big. Sure some guys can step up, but teams can take advantage of our bench players' weaknesses when they have time to game plan. Notice how the Spurs mostly could not play Cojo because his lack of an offense give allows the Clippers to play 4 on 5 and it just kills the Spurs offense. Have my worries about Patty playing big minutes as well, but love what he did yesterday...he's definitely back to playing his game.

pretty much.

if parker is out, this series is lost.

he still runs the engine. too bad most fans are too stupid to see this.

benefactor
I don't have a dog in the hunt here, but basically every player in the NBA does this.

Hemotivo
04-23-2015, 11:13 AM
years with Manu do that to anyone tbh

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/24/33/56/5356439/7/960x540.jpg

SupremeGuy
04-23-2015, 11:18 AM
:cry

NASpurs
04-23-2015, 11:19 AM

:lmao

SASdynasty!
04-23-2015, 11:26 AM
And by "without him" you mean he was our leading scorer and distributor throughout the regular season and playoffs, was our only All-Star, our only All-NBA player, came through in our only elimination game of the season, and led the team in scoring in the Finals. So yah, "basically," lol

Malik Hairston
04-23-2015, 11:31 AM
And by "without him" you mean he was our leading scorer and distributor throughout the regular season and playoffs, was our only All-Star, our only All-NBA player, came through in our only elimination game of the season, and led the team in scoring in the Finals. So yah, "basically," lol

And the team was statistically better when was on the bench throughout the playoffs:lol..

:lol using popularity awards and points scored as an argument

SupremeGuy
04-23-2015, 11:32 AM
And by "without him" you mean he was our leading scorer and distributor throughout the regular season and playoffs, was our only All-Star, our only All-NBA player, came through in our only elimination game of the season, and led the team in scoring in the Finals. So yah, "basically," lolTim and Kawhi have been carrying that scrub for 2 years, bitch. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it, but you're too much of a bitch-ass player-fan to ever admit it. You're the same fucking idiot that tried to deflect blame for game 1. "Basically," stop being such a bitch. :toast

RD2191
04-23-2015, 11:32 AM
And the team was statistically better when was on the bench throughout the playoffs:lol..
:lol

Brazil
04-23-2015, 11:33 AM

:lol Clippers in 7

hater

Malik Hairston
Spurs only need 1 of Parker/Ginobili to play at a high level to make a run, as we have seen the past 2 years..if they are both going to struggle, Spurs will struggle..

Malik Hairston
04-23-2015, 11:35 AM
yup. even Reggie Miller was saying tonight Parker is getting into the paint which helps the Spurs.

He also said it would be impossible for The Spurs to beat the Clippers if Parker doesn't play great, just like he said during game 6 of the OKC series..:lol vanilla fans and media

Beaverfuzz
Time to hit the Duncan regiment for his diet to be honest.

Stick to the salmon burgers from HEB.

Malik Hairston

The series is 1-1..

RD2191
04-23-2015, 11:36 AM
The Spurs don't need Parker to win this series.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-23-2015, 11:41 AM

Team had the best winning margin when Parker was out last year as well. Stats proved last year, the Spurs were a better team both offensively and defensively when Parker was not on the floor.

Parker, for the most part last year, was like the Love's, Anthony's, etc of the league, just a stat padder.

But he did have that one game against Dallas (Game 5), not game 7 as the Spurs would have won that even without Parker, that was crucial for them.

So one game could have been the difference in a 1st round exit or a championship. That is why I think Pop should play him sparsely and let him heal, so he will be ready for when the Spurs do need him.

Spur|n|Austin
04-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Really wish we hadn't contracted him for so much $$ - I would not be opposed to seeing him on another team next season.

Malik Hairston
04-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Team had the best winning margin when Parker was out last year as well. Stats proved last year, the Spurs were a better team both offensively and defensively when Parker was not on the floor.

Parker, for the most part last year, was like the Love's, Anthony's, etc of the league, just a stat padder.

But he did have that one game against Dallas (Game 5), not game 7 as the Spurs would have won that even without Parker, that was crucial for them.

So one game could have been the difference in a 1st round exit or a championship. That is why I think Pop should play him sparsely and let him heal, so he will be ready for when the Spurs do need him.

Parker is still a useful player, he still runs the offense well and he's the best ball-handler on the team..however, as we saw last year, the team doesn't need him..it's helpful when he looks right like he did in game 7 vs Dallas, of course..

hater
04-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Parker is the engine. He ran the orchestra very well last night. Sad that most fans are too dim to see this. Glad Duncan and Pop do.

Oh and if we lose Parker series is lost

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Parker is the engine. He ran the orchestra very well last night. Sad that most fans are too dim to see this. Glad Duncan and Pop do.

Oh and if we lose Parker series is lost

He did in the first and later, but like Tiago, he started to fade and Pop thankfully pulled him. But if Mills continue his play, I just think Pop should let Parker heal so he can be available when the Spurs need him. Manage his minutes right now.

With Rockets current situation, even an 80% Parker would go ham on Terry/Pablo like he already did this year. If the Spurs win this series, more than likely will face them in the next round.

hater
04-23-2015, 11:58 AM
He did in the first and later, but like Tiago, he started to fade and Pop thankfully pulled him. But if Mills continue his play, I just think Pop should let Parker heal so he can be available when the Spurs need him. Manage his minutes right now.

With Rockets current situation, even an 80% Parker would go ham on Terry/Pablo like he already did this year. If the Spurs win this series, more than likely will face them in the next round.

Agree that we will need Parker IF we are able to face the Rox.

Agree that Patty needs to play more obviously. But we will not win this series with a PG tandem of Mills/Evita/Cojo.

It's terrible news tbh.

Seventyniner
04-23-2015, 12:01 PM

That doesn't work and you know it. Matt Bonner was the king of +/- for years but do you really think he was the best player on the team?

Malik Hairston
04-23-2015, 12:05 PM
That doesn't work and you know it. Matt Bonner was the king of +/- for years but do you really think he was the best player on the team?

It works when Parker's advanced on/off metrics were astronomically worse than the rest of the team, including the other starters..if it was a small difference, I could buy that, but the disparity was massive..

Arguing that only Parker was affected and nobody else is strange..

I also don't know why people use Bonner as an example, his numbers took a significant hit in the playoffs..

ElNono
04-23-2015, 12:30 PM
get well soon... rather have able bodies in case we manage to go far...

K...
04-23-2015, 12:35 PM
If we run he hyper motion offense of course we can win without Parker. Really, all the "team has been better when Parker has been off floor" means is that the spurs bench offense was elite. Eye test agrees.

But if the team sucks, if the opponent cuts down on passing, spurs are totally chucked without Parker. Just like Tim, you can't ride Tim for 45 minutes a night but his useful without his hyper beast transformation.

Parker is less useful in his non aggressive state, but he still is the best rounded pg on the roster. If healthy obv.

I've said before, a championship offense has at least 2 gears. Last night it was Duncan. Tomorrow it'll be outside shooting. Game 5? I'd sure like to have Parker back by then.

Horse
04-23-2015, 12:38 PM
We should be ok at home but overall I do think we need him atleast a little. And like someone else said Pop sticking with him when he is clearly not right is more of the concern.

K...
04-23-2015, 12:38 PM
So yeah, the so called "advanced stats"should really be called more complicated than usual, no more compelling than common sense.

I love the hyper motion offense, but I don't put my bank on guys like Boris, splitter, and kawhi to run an offense.

Manu, he's good.But you can't ride him a whole game much less a series.

Malik Hairston
04-23-2015, 12:39 PM
I hope Parker isn't actually injured and that he returns and plays well, btw, don't get me wrong..the more depth, the better..

ElNono
04-23-2015, 12:47 PM
So yeah, the so called "advanced stats"should really be called more complicated than usual, no more compelling than common sense.

I love the hyper motion offense, but I don't put my bank on guys like Boris, splitter, and kawhi to run an offense.

Manu, he's good.But you can't ride him a whole game much less a series.

If Tony keeps on being hurt, we'll find out, I suppose. What I know riding a hurt Tony won't work either.

jag
04-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Right now, Parker = Kobe. And not in a good way.

True.

Good thing he cares about winning though or he would have finished 0-25.

The team has not really ever been reliant on TP as a playmaker.

I agree with much of what you said, except for this. The Spurs spent many years relying on his (and Manu's) penetration. And when the penetration wasn't there, they also relied on his playmaking, outside the paint, with his midrange jumper and the high PnR.

The offense has changed but he's still the best player on the team to orchestrate the offense. Ginobili can do it in spells but he's had some disastrous experiences running the point for extended periods. Patty and Cojo can be successful off the bench because opposing teams arent game-planning to take them out of the game.

hater
04-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Worked yesterday for 3qrs ^ tbh

SouthernFried
04-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Hemotivo
The Most Sexy Troll on the Interwebs
My Team
Houston Rockets
Post Count

Eva Longoria says hubby Tony Parker fakes on-court injuries
Malaysia Sun

Wednesday 23rd January, 2008
(ANI)

Washington, January 23 : Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria has revealed that her husband, basketball player Tony Parker, often fakes his on-court injuries.

The actress says that she really finds it difficult to watch her husband play for the San Antonio Spurs because she never knows when he is actually hurt, and when he is acting.

"Sometimes he acts to get the flagrant foul or, to sell the foul more, he'll throw himself on the floor and really play it up more than what it is," Contactmusic quoted her as saying.

"I really don't know what the difference is so I'm like, 'Stop laying on the ground if you're not hurt. Just get up!' He's like, 'Honey, I have to stay on the ground sometimes.' But I get really nervous, it's nail biting," she added.

Why are you quoting EVA on this? Selling a foul to the referees by flopping is not the same as faking an injury silly.

Oh...you're a Houston fan. Nevermind.

04-23-2015, 12:51 PM
More worried about Splitter at this point. He's really the defensive key this series. Limit Griffin's offense and passing and the Spurs pretty much shut down 50% of the Clippers offense.

But don't get me wrong, Parker is important too. Spurs offense looks terrible without Parker and the Spurs can't rely on Duncan to carry the offense in a 7 game series. And I don't really want to see Ginobili make another one of those out of control 1 or 2 handed passes while in the air that ends in a turnover. Parker still needs to be out there as a decoy to create open looks at the 3 point line.

SouthernFried
04-23-2015, 12:56 PM
I've never liked Parker all that much.

But, anyone who thinks it's ok to not have him out there...is delusional.

DarrinS
04-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Parker should read this for inspiration:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/1748/mike-conley-keeps-driving-through-the-pain

Trill Clinton
04-23-2015, 01:04 PM
I've never liked Parker all that much.

But, anyone who thinks it's ok to not have him out there...is delusional.

pop thinks its okay to have him out there but nobody will call him out for trotting a half dead tp out there over patty.

cd98
04-23-2015, 01:06 PM
We can survive for a little while without Parker, unlike say Kawhi, who is our only true small forward on the roster. But Patty has defensive holes and COJO has offensive holes that will eventually be exposed if we have to rely on either to play 30 minutes while Parker rests. Trouble is, Parker isn't going to get to where we need him without rest. I guess he's just going to have to tough through it. If we beat the Clippers, his role will be less important against the Rockets as their point guards suck. A healthy Parker would be an asset in that series, but we could get by with him resting a little. If we could beat the Clippers in 5 (not even close to likely), then he might get some rest, assuming the Mavs can win a few against the Rockets, but the likely scenario for the Spurs is a 6 or 7 game series with the Clippers, and certainly no guarantee that the Spurs will survive it.

Malik Hairston
04-23-2015, 01:11 PM
We can survive for a little while without Parker, unlike say Kawhi, who is our only true small forward on the roster. But Patty has defensive holes and COJO has offensive holes that will eventually be exposed if we have to rely on either to play 30 minutes while Parker rests. Trouble is, Parker isn't going to get to where we need him without rest. I guess he's just going to have to tough through it. If we beat the Clippers, his role will be less important against the Rockets as their point guards suck. A healthy Parker would be an asset in that series, but we could get by with him resting a little. If we could beat the Clippers in 5 (not even close to likely), then he might get some rest, assuming the Mavs can win a few against the Rockets, but the likely scenario for the Spurs is a 6 or 7 game series with the Clippers, and certainly no guarantee that the Spurs will survive it.

I disagree, Parker is more useful vs. Houston IMO..their PG position is terrible, he shouldn't have any problems defending Terry or Prigioni, and he should be able to score at will, as we saw in one of the Houston games in April..

His defense is a bigger issue than his offense in the Clippers series IMO..part of that is Pop not putting him on Barnes for some reason, but he's having a lot of trouble staying with Paul and playing 2-way basketball..

Brazil
04-23-2015, 04:29 PM
The series is 1-1..

:lol IIRC you said teams will win all games at home, so Clippers in 7, that's already off

it's ok brah tho timvp gave Grizz in 6... shit happens

ErnestLynch
04-23-2015, 07:27 PM
When TP can't drive the paint it allows defenders to play their man tighter. So he can't drive the lane because he doesn't have the explosiveness, and he has nowhere to pass because everyone is covered so his only option is to go back and forth in the backcourt as the offense does the 'rocking boat' routine from side to side. Last night he had the left lane as open as a carless freeway a few times and didn't go. You know he's hurting when he doesn't take that. Healthy Parker has an easy layup there. I say rest Parker go with Mills at least at home. Spurs will be on fire in game 3. Maybe test him late in game 4. Spurs win these two at home, this one is over.

PublicOption
04-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Play kyle anderson. those little guards won't know what to do.

Stabula
04-24-2015, 12:10 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/1748/mike-conley-keeps-driving-through-the-pain

Didn't even know Conley was hurt myself, hadn't been following his team. What a warrior.

MateoNeygro
04-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Spurs need a healthy Parker. They can survive a game or two or maybe even a series but the place where him being gone hurts is our depth. Then guys like Patty and Ginobili are asked to start and the punch of the bench isn't the same. I think it fucks with chemistry and rotations more than anything.

Fireball
04-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Spurs need a healthy Parker. They can survive a game or two or maybe even a series but the place where him being gone hurts is our depth. Then guys like Patty and Ginobili are asked to start and the punch of the bench isn't the same. I think it fucks with chemistry and rotations more than anything. That's why Pop will start Cojo if Parker cannot play. Mills still comes off the bench. Of course, having Tony on deck would be better.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-24-2015, 09:58 AM
That's called flopping bro... Your boy is the most known player in the NBA for that.

MateoNeygro
04-24-2015, 10:03 AM
That's why Pop will start Cojo if Parker cannot play. Mills still comes off the bench. Of course, having Tony on deck would be better.

Yeah I get that but it's just that Cojo isn't the same threat Tony used to be. It hurts my soul that Tony isn't nearly what he used to be. Guy used to be a fucking beast and we'd be so much better with him. I guess my point is kind of moot because it seems Tony just isn't that same player anymore. I guess I'm just butt hurt lol.

Fireball
04-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Yeah I get that but it's just that Cojo isn't the same threat Tony used to be. It hurts my soul that Tony isn't nearly what he used to be. Guy used to be a fucking beast and we'd be so much better with him. I guess my point is kind of moot because it seems Tony just isn't that same player anymore. I guess I'm just butt hurt lol. The problem really is injuries ... he looked superb in Berlin when I watched him live and he was great during March when he was healthy. I know Cojo is no TP replacement, but I think the WCF are possible to reach without TP.

MateoNeygro
04-24-2015, 10:12 AM
The problem really is injuries ... he looked superb in Berlin when I watched him live and he was great during March when he was healthy. I know Cojo is no TP replacement, but I think the WCF are possible to reach without TP.

I believe in this team no doubt. I agree they can do some serious damage as long as they play their game. I hope you are right about TP and it's not just a dramatic drop off athletically.

MarCowMar
04-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Play kyle anderson. those little guards won't know what to do.

I'd love to see Anderson take a crack at Doc's son.

SASdynasty!
04-24-2015, 10:25 AM
He's been using that retarded logic forever. Yah, the team is better without Tony...translation: our bench outscores theirs more than our starters outscore theirs. It's not that difficult...he tries to make it sound like Parker is a negative +/- or something, which is ludicrous.

SASdynasty!
04-24-2015, 10:29 AM

My bad, should have cherry-picked an advanced stat to make my point and here I am using points and coach-voted awards.

SASdynasty!
04-24-2015, 10:33 AM

So what you're saying is we would have won the championship easier if Tony wasn't leading our team in scoring and assists. Ok, cool. I guess it would have been nice to have swept through the playoffs, but with Tony leading the team in production we had to settle for a 16-7 playoff run. Dang.

K...
04-24-2015, 10:40 AM
He's been using that retarded logic forever. Yah, the team is better without Tony...translation: our bench outscores theirs more than our starters outscore theirs. It's not that difficult...he tries to make it sound like Parker is a negative +/- or something, which is ludicrous.

Yeah it's hard to rebut succinctly and there are no obvious slam dunk stats to counter the argument. Harlem himself made the counter case long ago. But then it's been spammed hundreds of times without analysis.

To add though: Parker faced more targeted defensive attention and, our bench was historically balls out great last year. It's great Parker wasn't needed last year, but that's a highly specific scenario that caused that. Not likely to see that again and definitely not seen recently

Seems like this deserves a thread of it's own but now is not he time. Lots of Parker talk over the summer.

The Reckoning
04-24-2015, 10:41 AM
maybe he won't try to hero ball and play point guard for once

K...
04-24-2015, 10:42 AM
What's it like? Making arguments You know to be false? Must be exhausting.

K...
04-24-2015, 10:43 AM
maybe he won't try to hero ball and play point guard for once

Solid. Take. Thanks for using those buzzwords.

RD2191
04-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Parker needs to sit the fuck down if he's injured. Him pushing it is only going to make things worse for himself and the team.

The Reckoning
04-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Solid. Take. Thanks for using those buzzwords.

injuries changed manu's game for the better once he realized he was older and couldn't cut to the basket like he used to.

cd98
04-24-2015, 10:56 AM
injuries changed manu's game for the better once he realized he was older and couldn't cut to the basket like he used to.

It's true that he has relied more and more on his elite passing skills to be an effective player. That said, he still loves to take ill-advised threes just to let us know that his play cannot be totally contained.

K...
04-24-2015, 11:13 AM

You're halfway there. What you meant to say is that Parker should play within his bodies limits, run the offense without taking shots, get kawhi the dang ball, and play limited minutes.

The problem is you said none of that in two posts! I'm only mad because the same thing gets discussed all the time.

cantthinkofanything
04-24-2015, 11:15 AM

Yeah...but Manu always had elite court vision and the willingness to work his ass off.

The Reckoning
04-24-2015, 11:20 AM
You're halfway there. What you meant to say is that Parker should play within his bodies limits, run the offense without taking shots, get kawhi the dang ball, and play limited minutes.

The problem is you said none of that in two posts! I'm only mad because the same thing gets discussed all the time.

putting words in my mouth.

parker is trying to much to force plays that he used to be able to make but not any more. but since manu was able to make that transition to being a facilitator rather than creator, i think it's possible for parker to do so if he has the willpower. he's too slow now to create double teams.

but with parker in that role we can see the kind of ball movement we saw last year with manu running point imo, and parker has more potential.

cd98
04-24-2015, 11:21 AM

You understand that if Parker is not at least a perceived threat to score, then the Clippers won't guard him and it will mess up our offense? He shouldn't take 25 shots, and he won't. But he needs to be aggressive on getting in the lane to wreck havoc and he needs to shoot off the pick and roll if they leave him open. If the Clippers don't perceive him as a threat and don't guard him, he has to punish him like he did the Rockets a few weeks back. I'm concerned that he can be that offensive threat with how slowly he appears to be moving despite metrics earlier in the season showing he is still one of the fastest guards in the league. But if the Clippers don't have to guard him, then they can double Tim and Kawhi and ruin the spacing. It would really hurt our overall offense.

K...
04-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Haha, we're arguing over nothing. I just wanted to call out some laziness do that there's actual something to debate. Hero ball means nothing.

As for me, I'd like Parker to start shoot a few times. Get a feel and then turn to patty. 20m for Parker seems good.

Too many variables to say definitely what should happen:

How bad is Parker hurt?
How will the clippers treat him?
Is patty ready?

pgardn
04-24-2015, 11:40 AM
The problem might be with Parker's injuries he is going to go good once warm and acclimated. Then you sit him and its a done deal, he might freeze up. Pop has got a tough job. Those easy 3rd or 4th quarter points we used to get from him when the offense got disrupted may be history. And even just running the point and not getting smothered may only occur in his first 8 minutes.

For all the CP hate, the guy plays a pestering D, and he can sense a player's weakness very quickly imo. This is not James Harden D.

Big Empty
04-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Patty, Jospeh and Manu should handle PG duties and Parker should suit up for an emergency and rest those sprains and aches till Sunday or game 5.

Budkin
04-24-2015, 12:32 PM

ManuTastic
04-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Patty, Jospeh and Manu should handle PG duties and Parker should suit up for an emergency and rest those sprains and aches till Sunday or game 5.

Agreed. No reason to send out a gimpy Tony tonight. We might win without him anyway, and even if not I'd rather him back at full(er) strength for game 4 and later than hobbling around tonight.

RD2191
04-24-2015, 12:38 PM
:pctoss

Nathan89
04-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Tony refusing to let the backups expose him.

The Reckoning
04-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Haha, we're arguing over nothing. I just wanted to call out some laziness do that there's actual something to debate. Hero ball means nothing.

As for me, I'd like Parker to start shoot a few times. Get a feel and then turn to patty. 20m for Parker seems good.

Too many variables to say definitely what should happen:

How bad is Parker hurt?
How will the clippers treat him?
Is patty ready?

hero ball has been a term used on this site to equate parker for awhile now.

04-24-2015, 12:49 PM

What a warrior

04-24-2015, 12:52 PM
:vom at the thought cojo starting. The spacing in the starting lineup is already disgusting.

Anyone who thinks Mills should start or that Pop will even consider starting him obviously haven't been watching the Spurs for very long. Mills is the 1b 6th man on the team so you can't take him off the bench. Him and Manu are too good together.

RD2191
04-24-2015, 12:54 PM
What a warrior
Hope the faggot gets injured even worse for pulling this shit. Fat ass couldn't even get off the ground in Game 2. Kobe-esque move tbh

04-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Hope the faggot gets injured even worse for pulling this shit. Fat ass couldn't even get off the ground in Game 2. Kobe-esque move tbh

He only took 6 shots to try and keep the defense honest. He was obviously looking to get others involved. He spoon fed Duncan a couple times iirc.

Hopefully he gets injured though so all the Parker haters can stop claiming we can win a title without him.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-24-2015, 12:59 PM

I can see why. Starting Cojo would throw off the rotation as I think Manu would have to start along side him. But I think Parker should play no more than 15 minutes, 20 minutes max. Keep it simple and keep the offense moving.

RD2191
04-24-2015, 01:00 PM
He only took 6 shots to try and keep the defense honest. He was obviously looking to get others involved. He spoon fed Duncan a couple times iirc.

Hopefully he gets injured though so all the Parker haters can stop claiming we can win a title without him.
he just needs to cut the crap. something is obviously wrong. he's only hurting the team. duncan can get his with or without parker tbh.

RD2191
04-24-2015, 01:00 PM
hopefully he pulls one out of his ass and can hit some shots tbh

04-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Parker/Green/Leonard/Splitter/Duncan - Net RTG = +23.9

daslicer
04-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Regardless of the hate we need Parker to be decent just for the sake of depth. If you start Mills than the bench becomes weaker since they lose an offensive threat and it allows the Clippers to relax a little bit when their starters go to the bench. If Parker can chip in 8-10 points on good shooting combined with Mills than the Spurs should be in good shape.

RD2191
04-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Parker/Green/Leonard/Splitter/Duncan - Net RTG = +23.9
Yeah, put Cojo or Mills in his spot and I bet it would be better.

SnakeBoy
04-24-2015, 01:30 PM

Sacrificing his health to help the team.

TheGoldStandard
04-24-2015, 01:30 PM
My biggest issue is Pop and Parker both allowing an injured player to hurt the 1st unit. If he was truly injured with a sore Achilles putting more game minutes on it is not going to help. Playing him more than 1 quarter if it's not contributing is also hurting the team. Parker runs 2 plays for the most part, Duncan sets a screen and Tony either pops for a jumper or he dumps it to Duncan the roll man. More often than not he can't take someone off dribble unless it's off a switch. If those two things are not working he rolls into the corner and hopes someone can run offense.

You can can tell within the first 5 minutes of the game if he's going to contribute or not, his body language becomes trash when he misses. As of right now the issue is his confidence too. If the switch comes and DJ gets locked up on him he doesn't attack he gets scared and takes a long jumper or escape dribbles his way out of a play.

K...
04-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Hey does anyone know who Parkers doctor? I want to sue him for malpractice. Parker had chucker disease and it's irresponsible not to quarantine him.

Hat tip apo for the hot take trolling.

DPG21920
04-24-2015, 01:43 PM

The only thing Manu has done to change is jack all jump shots instead of driving. That's not a good thing. It's similar to TP settling for more mid-range because he can't get to the rim. Manu has had a below average season - TP has just been even less healthy and played worse. Don't think Manu has adjusted much - still has the TO's and now just takes more jump shots that don't connect (especially from 3).

Their bodies limited them - they didn't adjust. Tim is someone who's adjusted and shifted. Right now Manu/TP's bodies forced them to play worse.

SupremeGuy
04-24-2015, 01:51 PM
There's nothing more annoying than TP semi-driving, realizing there's 9 seconds left, and tossing off to Timmy who's not even position. lol drunk

RD2191
04-24-2015, 01:55 PM
There's nothing more annoying than TP semi-driving, realizing there's 9 seconds left, and tossing off to Timmy who's not even position. lol drunk
he's a shitty pg tbh

K...
04-24-2015, 01:56 PM

Cojo and bonner doing the same. Disgusting.

K...
04-24-2015, 01:57 PM
he's a shitty pg tbh

How long did you think about this gem?

Hold on, expected response "truth bomb, can't handle it? "

RD2191
04-24-2015, 01:58 PM
How long did you think about this gem?

Hold on, expected response "truth bomb, can't handle it? "
can you not handle these?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzxiyu8Btb1qj3i85.gif

BatManu20
04-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Skip with the truth bombs.

BatManu20
04-24-2015, 01:59 PM

travis2
04-24-2015, 02:02 PM
Spurs are reporting he will play tonight

RD2191
04-24-2015, 02:09 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzxiyu8Btb1qj3i85.gif

ElNono
04-24-2015, 02:14 PM
The only thing Manu has done to change is jack all jump shots instead of driving. That's not a good thing. It's similar to TP settling for more mid-range because he can't get to the rim. Manu has had a below average season - TP has just been even less healthy and played worse. Don't think Manu has adjusted much - still has the TO's and now just takes more jump shots that don't connect (especially from 3).

Their bodies limited them - they didn't adjust. Tim is someone who's adjusted and shifted. Right now Manu/TP's bodies forced them to play worse.

Manu was pretty darned good at 32, tbh, even with a broken arm... heck he was pretty darned good last season. He's not the go-all-out scorer he was earlier in his career, he adjusted into a playmaker role, which was easy for him since he was always a great passer. Numbers reflect the adjustment was positive. His AST% has progressively been going up from 22% from his prime to around 30% since 09-10.

That's not to say he had a great season this time around. But I think he'll be fine in that role, considering, as you said, the limits imposed in his body. And I still think he can have a major impact game here or there, like game 6 in OKC or game 5 of the Finals.

As far as Tony, I like his floor general game. I'm just not sure the Spurs were prepared for his decline (compounded by the injuries, which were somewhat unexpected since he took the whole summer off).

LongtimeSpursFan
04-24-2015, 02:16 PM

I don't understand. The Spurs were up by 10 at this point. It is when Parker went to the bench that the offense stagnated.

ElNono
04-24-2015, 02:16 PM
I just hope Pop is the smart man here, and he doesn't insist on having TP guard CP3 or Reddick. Put him on Barnes, and see how he responds.

Even if he's too hurt to play, that's a good way to minimize the damage.

RD2191
04-24-2015, 02:19 PM
I don't understand. The Spurs were up by 10 at this point. It is when Parker went to the bench that the offense stagnated.

houston spurs fan
04-24-2015, 02:21 PM
I just hope Pop is the smart man here, and he doesn't insist on having TP guard CP3 or Reddick. Put him on Barnes, and see how he responds.

Even if he's too hurt to play, that's a good way to minimize the damage.
Agree. Put him on Barnes to hide him then use him to distribute on the offensive side. Being back at home I'm thinking big games from Green, Mills, Gino, etc...so hopefully we will have enough fire power without a big game needed from TP.

Mikeanaro
04-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Thats different, they missed easy layups and open looks (Boris Diaw, Tim Duncan, Marco).

Blizzardwizard
04-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Hurt Tony>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Healthy Joseph.

Malik Hairston
04-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Tony, like all the other role players on the team, has been significantly better at home, this season..he shot 52% from the field at home vs. low-40s on the road..

Expect him to come out aggressively and play well tonight IMO..

Also, like many have been saying, there's no reason not to have him on Barnes, even if it may hurt rebounding..

DPG21920
04-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Hopefully TP can just spell the 1Q guarding CP3. Keep Kawhi on JJ & Green elsewhere for a while. Keep their other guys cool. Spurs offense is generating such great looks that if the shoot like normal and TP can buy the Spurs a Q playing defense on CP, Spurs should be in really good shape.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Thats different, they missed easy layups and open looks (Boris Diaw, Tim Duncan, Marco).

I guess Skip didnt see the same things I did and I'm sure what Pop noticed:

After Tony is taken out of the game.

The next sequence the Spurs have possession of the ball it never enters the three point arc and Diaw shoots an airball three. Pop then brings in Manu because obviously he saw the same thing I did and they need someone to dribble penetrate.
Next sequence, Spurs run take 10 seconds to set up play (again ball never enters 3 point area) for an isolation to Kawhi who shoots an ill-advised fadeaway despite a shorter defender on him.
Next sequence, ball is stolen by Matt Barnes on pass from manu to Diaw (again ball never enters 3 point area). Manu is forced to foul and is out of game (now no one to dribble penetrate).
Next sequence, ball is passed around the perimeter for over 15 seconds before Diaw is able to get something going to rim. Unfortunately, he misses layup but Timmy puts it back in.
Next sequence, ball is passed around perimeter and never enters three point area with Bellineli missing a 3 point shot.
Next sequence, ball is passed around perimeter around three point area and Mills misses 3 point shot.
Next sequence, ball is passed around perimeter, Diaw feeds Duncan on elbow. Duncan mishandles dribble and turnovers ball.
Next sequence, ball is passed around perimeter, Bellineli finally scores 10 ft jumper off screen by Duncan.
Next sequence, Duncan is forced to go iso on Jordan and gets his shot blocked.
Next sequence, turnover by Spurs on dribble penetration by Bellineli.

This is bad basketball and this is what happens when you don't have a PG like Parker (or at least Manu) that can do the things Parker can.

Malik Hairston
04-24-2015, 03:06 PM

The next sequence the Spurs have possession of the ball it never enters the three point arc and Diaw shoots an airball three. Pop then brings in Manu because obviously he saw the same thing I did and they need someone to dribble penetrate.
Next sequence, Spurs run take 10 seconds to set up play (again ball never enters 3 point area) for an isolation to Kawhi who shoots an ill-advised fadeaway despite a shorter defender on him.
Next sequence, ball is stolen by Matt Barnes on pass from manu to Diaw (again ball never enters 3 point area). Manu is forced to foul and is out of game (now no one to dribble penetrate).
Next sequence, ball is passed around the perimeter for over 15 seconds before Diaw is able to get something going to rim. Unfortunately, he misses layup but Timmy puts it back in.
Next sequence, ball is passed around perimeter and never enters three point area with Bellineli missing a 3 point shot.
Next sequence, ball is passed around perimeter around three point area and Mills misses 3 point shot.
Next sequence, ball is passed around perimeter, Diaw feeds Duncan on elbow. Duncan mishandles dribble and turnovers ball.
Next sequence, ball is passed around perimeter, Bellineli finally scores 10 ft jumper off screen by Duncan.

This is bad basketball and this is what happens when you don't have a PG like Parker (or at least Manu) that can do the things Parker can.

Manu fouling out was the obvious issue, along with Tim being fatigued, and Hack-a-Jordan hurting the flow of the game..

Manu was by far the best facilitator in last year's playoffs, Spurs would have been fine if he hadn't fouled out..

RD2191
04-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Manu fouling out was the obvious issue, along with Tim being fatigued, and Hack-a-Jordan hurting the flow of the game..

Manu was by far the best facilitator in last year's playoffs, Spurs would have been fine if he hadn't fouled out..

RD2191
04-24-2015, 03:10 PM

yeah, his 1.8 per was really needed

Mikeanaro
04-24-2015, 03:12 PM

Wrong, Parker played almost entirely during game 1 and they shot like shit, using your metrics Parker gives bad basketball.
They missed shots and thats it, Parker was killing us as usual with his bad defense, slowness and 0 offensive game, he is a volume shooter and gaves you 20 points (killing the team) and he made what? 1 point? dude was garbage.
You are over analyzing this.

pppp
04-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Wrong, Parker played almost entirely during game 1 and they shot like shit, using your metrics Parker gives bad basketball.
They missed shots and thats it, Parker was killing us as usual with his bad defense, slowness and 0 offensive game, he is a volume shooter and gaves you 20 points (killing the team) and he made what? 1 point? dude was garbage.
You are over analyzing this.
:lol it's you who are under analyzing it. So much easier to just say "I don't like him! He sucks!":lol

LongtimeSpursFan
04-24-2015, 03:28 PM
yeah, his 1.8 per was really needed

Son this is basketball not a computer game. You think Pop is going to select his starting five by choosing those with the highest PER?

Pop is going to show tape of the last 5 minutes of the game and point out what Spurs did wrong. Then he is going to make sure he has someone in there that can run the offense the way it is designed to.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Son this is basketball not a computer game. You think Pop is going to select his starting five by choosing those with the highest PER?

Pop is going to show tape of the last 5 minutes of the game and point out what Spurs did wrong. Then he is going to make sure he has someone in there that can run the offense the way it is designed to.

RD2191
04-24-2015, 03:33 PM

yeah, his 1 pt he contributed in game 2 is really going to be needed.

crc21209
04-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Yeah I'm not sure chasing around Chris Paul is the best thing for a Parker with a banged up body and a series of injuries. Maybe for spurts but I like what others have said around here, put Parker on Barnes and let them try and take advantage of that matchup.

K...
04-24-2015, 05:04 PM

How does it feel to be unable to digest or understand facts contrary to your opinions. You seem to cling to simple facts and memes. I think you're better than that.

dabom
04-24-2015, 05:07 PM

EVAY
04-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Manu was pretty darned good at 32, tbh, even with a broken arm... heck he was pretty darned good last season. He's not the go-all-out scorer he was earlier in his career, he adjusted into a playmaker role, which was easy for him since he was always a great passer. Numbers reflect the adjustment was positive. His AST% has progressively been going up from 22% from his prime to around 30% since 09-10.

That's not to say he had a great season this time around. But I think he'll be fine in that role, considering, as you said, the limits imposed in his body. And I still think he can have a major impact game here or there, like game 6 in OKC or game 5 of the Finals.

As far as Tony, I like his floor general game. I'm just not sure the Spurs were prepared for his decline (compounded by the injuries, which were somewhat unexpected since he took the whole summer off).

But when Manu was 32 he hadn't spent 13 years as the pg in a motion offense where he literally ran farther and faster than anybody else on his team.

By your own observations, when Manu was 32 he was primarily responsible for creating his own shot, evidenced by the assist % going up as he has increased his playmaker role.

Absolutely agree that Manu has done as good or better job at changing his game over the last few seasons as anybody in the NBA, imo. And agreed that his passing is not matched by anyone else on the Spurs team (possible exception of Diaw when he is paying attention, but still Manu is the best, imo).

And the injury problem is often a function of over-use. Had Tony actually NOT taken the summer off last year, this forum would be accusing him of caring more about his national team than the Spurs who pay him (kind of like they did when Manu was restricted by the team, not his own judgment last summer).

Hairston's point that Parker is still the best guard we have at getting and keeping the Spurs in their offense is valid. Manu remains the best passer, but his role does not (normally) require him to run as much as Tony.

I get as disgusted as anyone with TP's over-dribbling at times, but I try to remind myself that it is his job to probe the defenses with his dribble to see if he can find a seam. What I see as a failure on TPs and Pop's part is that they seem to refuse to acknowledge that the entire league has figured out that probing pattern and can defend it quite effectively, especially when TPs speed is off due to injury or fatigue or both.

EVAY
04-24-2015, 05:43 PM

just wondering...are you and Robdiaz dating?

RD2191
04-24-2015, 06:05 PM
just wondering...are you and Robdiaz dating?
:wakeup

K...
04-24-2015, 06:08 PM

you too mr emoticon faggot

beirmeistr
04-24-2015, 08:06 PM
But when Manu was 32 he hadn't spent 13 years as the pg in a motion offense where he literally ran farther and faster than anybody else on his team.

By your own observations, when Manu was 32 he was primarily responsible for creating his own shot, evidenced by the assist % going up as he has increased his playmaker role.

Absolutely agree that Manu has done as good or better job at changing his game over the last few seasons as anybody in the NBA, imo. And agreed that his passing is not matched by anyone else on the Spurs team (possible exception of Diaw when he is paying attention, but still Manu is the best, imo).

And the injury problem is often a function of over-use. Had Tony actually NOT taken the summer off last year, this forum would be accusing him of caring more about his national team than the Spurs who pay him (kind of like they did when Manu was restricted by the team, not his own judgment last summer).

Hairston's point that Parker is still the best guard we have at getting and keeping the Spurs in their offense is valid. Manu remains the best passer, but his role does not (normally) require him to run as much as Tony.

I get as disgusted as anyone with TP's over-dribbling at times, but I try to remind myself that it is his job to probe the defenses with his dribble to see if he can find a seam. What I see as a failure on TPs and Pop's part is that they seem to refuse to acknowledge that the entire league has figured out that probing pattern and can defend it quite effectively, especially when TPs speed is off due to injury or fatigue or both.
good take, especially last paragraph.

gilmor
04-24-2015, 08:23 PM

The point is Skip Bayless doesn't know basketball..

The Reckoning
04-24-2015, 10:09 PM
putting words in my mouth.

parker is trying to much to force plays that he used to be able to make but not any more. but since manu was able to make that transition to being a facilitator rather than creator, i think it's possible for parker to do so if he has the willpower. he's too slow now to create double teams.

but with parker in that role we can see the kind of ball movement we saw last year with manu running point imo, and parker has more potential.

this guy knows what he's talking about.

Hemotivo
04-25-2015, 02:30 PM

:wow

Robz4000
04-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Any word on how our team's warrior is feeling today? Any more ailments?

dabom
04-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Any word on how our team's warrior is feeling today? Any more ailments?

Quadriceps too. That was b4 game 2. :lmao

I swear Tony has like 4-8 things wrong with him. Vagina included. :lmao