PDA

View Full Version : OKC plucking from Spurs' coaching tree?

jmard5
04-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Sources tell ESPN.com's Marc Stein that San Antonio assistant coach Ettore Messina is a candidate on OKC GM Sam Presti's radar. Messina (pictured next to Becky Hammon) has long been regarded as Europe's most successful coach in addition to his Spurs ties

-ESPN
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/

DMC
04-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Yeah they need more run and gun green lighting.

mystargtr34
Hopefully they nab Boylen tbh .

Malik Hairston
:lol can't imagine Messina going from the Spurs to Westbrook, tbh..

apalisoc_9
04-23-2015, 05:31 PM

:lol

apalisoc_9
04-23-2015, 05:32 PM
If messina is smart, he wouldn't go for it. I love KD and Westbrook but they are two of the hardest guys to coach in the league...

Mel_13
04-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Westbrook and Messina seems an unlikely pairing. Just some carefully planted noise to expedite a decision by his preferred candidate.

SpurPadre
04-23-2015, 05:43 PM
If we let them get Boylen, it would be an even better sabotage to that team than them having Brooks! Boylen can forget he has Westbrook during games and recommend Ayres as their starting big over Ibaka! Come on, Presti, get Boylen!!!!!

Spurs 4 The Win
04-23-2015, 05:46 PM
Maybe they will take Hammon :lol

ElNono
04-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Once the season is over, coach Messina should listen at the offer, tbh... might be a great chance for him, regardless of perceived fit...

DrunkTXLabrat
04-23-2015, 11:55 PM
They should hire Robert Horry.

Horry Hipcheck
04-24-2015, 12:01 AM
They should just hire Westbrook tbh

Chinook
04-24-2015, 12:02 AM
Please take him.

spurraider21
04-24-2015, 12:22 AM
:lol this

apalisoc_9
04-24-2015, 12:25 AM
Please take him.

you dont like messina? why?

heyheymymy
04-24-2015, 12:26 AM
No mention of Ollie? I know he's not likely but they are pursuing him too and KD/WB both found him influential.

DMC
04-24-2015, 12:29 AM
If messina is smart, he wouldn't go for it. I love KD and Westbrook but they are two of the hardest guys to coach in the league...
Since you've coached neither of them I don't see how you'd know that. I'd think they are both very easy to coach, they have a shit ton of talent and with the right guidance they could be champs, and they know it. Great players want to be coached by someone who they know can get them there. Very few want to go it on their own.

FlAVaK
04-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Maybe they will take Hammon :lol

I totally expected this to be the first reply to the topic :lol

adonis827
04-24-2015, 12:37 AM
They can get Matt Bonner next year

Spurs 4 The Win
04-24-2015, 12:46 AM
I totally expected this to be the first reply to the topic :lol

Me too, thats why I posted it :lol

Uriel
04-24-2015, 01:34 AM
Messina has already said that he wasn't going to the Spurs as a stepping stone for a bigger position elsewhere, but that he was committed to the organization over the long-haul.

Genjuro
04-24-2015, 02:30 AM
Sources tell ESPN.com's Marc Stein that San Antonio assistant coach Ettore Messina is a candidate on OKC GM Sam Presti's radar. Messina (pictured next to Becky Hammon) has long been regarded as Europe's most successful coach in addition to his Spurs ties

-ESPN
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/

Well, he's not Europe's more successful coach by any means. That would be Obradovic.

Actually Messina lost step in his last seasons in Europe. His tenure as Real Madrid coach and his second stint in CSKA Moscow were very disappointing.

Chinook
04-24-2015, 06:29 AM
you dont like messina? why?

I just don't think he added anything, and he's currently penciled in as Pop's successor. I think that would be a horrible move. No way do I want Messina coaching the next gen of Spurs. He'd probably run them into the ground.

Raven
04-24-2015, 06:35 AM
Please yes and take beli with you

Raven
04-24-2015, 06:37 AM
would be great if manu is the next coach.

UZER
04-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Why? Does KD want to become system player?

K...
04-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Ollie withdrew yesterday so he's out. Donovan was the next name but I haven't heard anything.

This is one of a few things:

Sportswriter needs a story. Saw bud cry, wrote "spurs assistant to be considered for HC, control P "messina"

Okc sabotage "maybe a distraction will cause some chaos, hahaha missing the playoffs is fun

Or maybe messina is prepping to leave, but not this one , just subscribing to the "future head coach listserv" but not the retread one. The good one, the one Kerr and blatt were in.

Regarding messina, he may have said the right thing about staying but there's no iron clad contract to stop him from leaving. I mean I'm sure he changed his thinking when blatt got hired. A Euro coach with no nba exp coaching LeBron? Yes plz. But I'm sure messina is smart enough not to go to a team rival.go east. Take the Lakers job. But hell no okc. Fuck you presti

hater
04-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Send them Becky and a box of balloons

Chillen
04-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Vinny Del Negro, perfect Scott Brooks replacement. So when they lose Durant, they have another fall guy coach.

bklynspursfan
04-24-2015, 09:24 AM
I just don't think he added anything, and he's currently penciled in as Pop's successor. I think that would be a horrible move. No way do I want Messina coaching the next gen of Spurs. He'd probably run them into the ground.

It's probably a bit of a learning curve for him. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and we don't really know what Bud did on the bench/in practices, etc... he just happened to know what Pop wanted to do because he spent so much time with him.

IMO, it's a bit early to judge what he's done or what he'd be capable of in the future.

K...
04-24-2015, 09:47 AM
This is not really a coached team. What's messina going to do, upset the championship Apple cart? Also just cuz you suck as a spurs coach, you can still coach the Lakers. Vinny del Negro is a great example. Just a patina of spurs exp will open the doors.

Nba coaching is weird. Competency is like he fourth most important thing;

Do the players like him?
Do the fans like him?
Is he tall and attractive or a famous former player?
Does he know how to coach?

BadOne
04-24-2015, 10:10 AM

Word

Chinook
04-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Messina is a good coach, but the Spurs don't need some guy to come in and impress his way on them after Pop leaves. I actually think it makes the most sense for them to hire a young coach and let him learn on the job. It doesn't take a genius to let Kawhi and whoever else is a top option on the team run the show, and the Spurs already know how to play D.

You can't replace Pop, so don't try. Let someone try to build their own legacy.

K...
04-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah, maybe the spurs let messina become coach but on the condition that he retains udoka and Becky and have them establish brand continuity. Udoka is your young coach. Messina can keep the seat warm and then leave.

It's really all dependent on whether we bring back the team or strip down to kawhi and parts. Different coaching needs depending on team make up

peacemaker885
04-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Pop signed a five year contract last season so I don't think Messina will be head coach soon on the Spurs. I see him on a different team next year or the year after that. He's too good to be an assistant IMO.

houston spurs fan
04-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Billy Donovan looks like a top candidate according to Woj. Good for the Spurs I think

Raven
04-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Ollie withdrew yesterday so he's out. Donovan was the next name but I haven't heard anything.

This is one of a few things:

Sportswriter needs a story. Saw bud cry, wrote "spurs assistant to be considered for HC, control P "messina"

Okc sabotage "maybe a distraction will cause some chaos, hahaha missing the playoffs is fun

Or maybe messina is prepping to leave, but not this one , just subscribing to the "future head coach listserv" but not the retread one. The good one, the one Kerr and blatt were in.

Regarding messina, he may have said the right thing about staying but there's no iron clad contract to stop him from leaving. I mean I'm sure he changed his thinking when blatt got hired. A Euro coach with no nba exp coaching LeBron? Yes plz. But I'm sure messina is smart enough not to go to a team rival.go east. Take the Lakers job. But hell no okc. Fuck you presti

not really fair comparison tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlXPip1D1Q

The Reckoning
04-24-2015, 10:53 AM
:cry bring bud back :cry

houston spurs fan
04-24-2015, 10:58 AM
I think Monty is gone after last night...could be on Pops staff next year another assistant bolts...

SanDiegoSpursFan
04-24-2015, 12:01 PM
If Messina gets an offer from OKC or NOLA he would be dumb not to take it. OKC would have pressure to win but he'd have a very talented roster and would probably win 55+ games his first season if healthy. NOLA he would likely have some leeway and would have Davis for 5+ years. I can't really see any possible coaching jobs that would top either of those.

Spurs9
04-24-2015, 12:25 PM
They need Luke Walton