PDA

View Full Version : So what's the answer...

Old School 44
04-23-2015, 07:54 PM
...to hack-a-whoever?

Although it's a valuable strategy for the Spurs and other teams against poor free throw shooters like Josh Smith, Dwight Howard and DJordan, it really is ugly for the game.

But how do you change it without somehow excusing these players ability to do somethng that is so fundamental to the game?

pgardn
04-23-2015, 07:57 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247050&p=7955404#post7955404

DarrinS
04-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Learn to shoot FT

spurraider21
04-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Learn to shoot FT

spurraider21
04-23-2015, 07:59 PM
football teams will stack the box against run-oriented offenses with bad QB's. if the QB can make them pay, they'll stop stacking the box. if the QB unravels under pressure, the game will get ugly

if these select players could shoot free throws at a respectable clip, the strategy will stop

Mel_13
04-23-2015, 08:05 PM
...to hack-a-whoever?

Although it's a valuable strategy for the Spurs and other teams against poor free throw shooters like Josh Smith, Dwight Howard and DJordan, it really is ugly for the game.

But how do you change it without somehow excusing these players ability to do somethng that is so fundamental to the game?

You can't change it without removing the option to exploit weak free throw shooters. You have to choose to either retain that option or to improve the "watchability" of television broadcasts.

Old School 44
04-23-2015, 08:08 PM
football teams will stack the box against run-oriented offenses with bad QB's. if the QB can make them pay, they'll stop stacking the box. if the QB unravels under pressure, the game will get ugly

if these select players could shoot free throws at a respectable clip, the strategy will stop

I know that's really the best answer, but you know there's always going to be someone who shoots poorly. Houston's grooming a whole bench load of them.

SouthernFried
04-23-2015, 08:11 PM
If you think the Spurs Offense is boring...then you would think this hacking strategy is ugly.

If you love basketball...you think this strategy is fucking beautiful. Using your head and forcing an opponent to do things they are not good at...is how you fucking win! You make a driver shoot from outside...you make a 3 point shooter, drive...and you make a lousy free throw shooter, shoot free throws. That's how you play basketball to win. And winning is beautiful.

Of course, you may have a different opinion. :bobo

spurraider21
04-23-2015, 08:11 PM
I know that's really the best answer, but you know there's always going to be someone who shoots poorly. Houston's grooming a whole bench load of them.
well then they are constructing a team with a crushing flaw, and there will be consequences for that. if a franchise constructs a team with no 3 point shooting, it doesn't mean it's the NBA's responsibility to change rules and eliminate the 3 point line so they dont suffer a disadvantage

Old School 44
04-23-2015, 08:52 PM
You can't change it without removing the option to exploit weak free throw shooters. You have to choose to either retain that option or to improve the "watchability" of television broadcasts.

When the league looks at this in the off season, they will probably come to this same "either/or" conclusion. Although, I'm in the camp to leave the rules the way they are, I think the television networks' clamoring is going to make Silver and company implement a flawed rule. The one I've generally heard about was giving the team that is fouled the option to have the player shoot free throws or take the ball out of bounds.

Blake
04-24-2015, 12:23 PM
The haters like to blame Pop for ugly ball, but it's just as much the other coach's fault for leaving the shitty free thrower in the game.

Even more at fault is the fucking multi million dollar all world athlete that hits the same percentage as beginner middle school kids.

MateoNeygro
04-24-2015, 12:47 PM
There's really no excuse for getting paid millions and not being able to make a free throw. I think it's an ugly strategy but it's not against the rules and to inact a rule to benefit shitty free throw shooters is going in the face of everything basketball stands for.

z0sa
04-24-2015, 01:05 PM
When the league looks at this in the off season, they will probably come to this same "either/or" conclusion. Although, I'm in the camp to leave the rules the way they are, I think the television networks' clamoring is going to make Silver and company implement a flawed rule. The one I've generally heard about was giving the team that is fouled the option to have the player shoot free throws or take the ball out of bounds.

That, or any rule change implemented, would be a load of horse shit. These motherfuckers make way too goddamn much money to get bailed out by the networks.

vander
04-24-2015, 01:15 PM
1&1 until double bonus, bad FT shooters will have to GTFO, or even if they are left in, it won't slow down the game as much.

could also have non-shooting fouls never be FTs, but instead give the offense a new 30 sec shot clock.

Cry Havoc
04-24-2015, 01:17 PM
http://image.slidesharecdn.com/14principlesofwarfare-111103042900-phpapp01/95/14-principles-of-ancient-chinese-warfare-7-728.jpg?cb=1320313033

Cry Havoc
04-24-2015, 01:19 PM
http://meetville.com/images/quotes/Quotation-Sun-Tzu-war-Meetville-Quotes-164171.jpg

hater
04-24-2015, 01:24 PM
the alternative is throwing an epic tantrum

kg_PIWEsw4Q