PDA

View Full Version : Pop's "prime"

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-24-2015, 09:51 AM
I have been thinking about this a lot the past few days. Typically we associate primes with players, but I think it is relevant with coaches too. Look at Mack Brown from Texas as an example.

Some could argue his prime was the four in 8 years... But then again it could be argued he had the best player in the game in 03.. And a stacked team in 05, and 07. It could also be argued his prime was in 14' when his ball centric movement took many back to the 80's, as basketball has seemed to become more isolation/1 on 1, etc. He also started the popular movement of resting stars. Of course this can be argued to as some of his decisions lead to head scratchers (rotations, taking Duncan out in G6 - in hindsight of course)

So when do you think Pop's prime was, and when did you think it ended... Or has it ended yet?

manufan10
04-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Pop as a coach has evolved, so I don't think he's really past his prime. He's still in his prime. If he can continue to adjust his coaching scheme, then he will have staying power.

SpursFan86
04-24-2015, 09:59 AM
His schemes and management of players (in terms of minutes, as well as motivating them and getting the most out of them) is as good as ever. He's several tiers above the next closest coach in those categories.

I think some of his rotations and in-game coaching decisions this year have been less-than-stellar, though.

Fireball
04-24-2015, 10:03 AM
After the Finals Timmy said that Pop had the most fire during the 13/14 season after the loss to Miami the season before. He still is the best coach, but after the championship he too is more relaxed .. thinking mid-term ...trying out stuff to evolve even further (zone, etc.) as a coach and a team. So some of the head scratchers are understandable (except still overplaying Belli over Green) ...

cd98
04-24-2015, 10:54 AM
I think any coach that can survive in the league for 10+ years probably is going to be in his "prime" every year, but the results generally go with how good your team is and how they respect the coach. In terms of respect, Pop has it from all of his players. Most other teams, the coach doesn't. Pop can get his team to run through walls, so they trust him and what he is training them to do. The respect is an all-time high, so that is why I think he's in his "prime." Lots of other coaches can draw the Xs and Os and some even have quality players, but Pop gets that and more with his players consistently playing hard for him and supporting each other. He just created the right culture.

Spurminator
04-24-2015, 11:09 AM
He's in his prime right now, the past 4 years have been his best coaching work ever.

FromWayDowntown
04-24-2015, 11:15 AM
He's in his prime right now, the past 4 years have been his best coaching work ever.

That can't possibly be true. I read on SpursTalk that Pop is a mouth breathing moron and that his team wins despite his idiocy.

Dingle Barry
04-24-2015, 11:19 AM
College football coaches undoubtedly have primes and get washed up. Probably a result of losing the passion for all of the recruiting work or their message growing stale. IMO professional sports coaches for whatever reason don't seem to have primes.

pgardn
04-24-2015, 11:27 AM
This is a great question and very tough as I believe the players change with the coach in long tentures.

In Brown's case, he restarted a broken down bus. But, could not keep it in race car mode. There are coaches good at building, but not maintaining a high level. Then there are coaches that have to have a racecar to begin with, then they can drive it very efficiently for a good time. But give them a bag of metal to begin with, and possible fail ((Phil Jackson)

I don't think Pop could go into Milw. and without his reputation, be able to do what Kidd has done at this point in his career even if the incentive, 50 million for the year, was offered.

This is a very difficult but great question imo. If we had more of this type of post, and less apoplectic, goboom, this would be a great place.

Thanks OP

Old School 44
04-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Pop's in his prime and will remain in his prime until the Spurs do some significant losing. The thing about Pops prime is it extends way beyond coaching. I don't thing there's anyone in the league that doesn't acknowledge pop as the best. On top of that it seems like three quarters of the league have some sort of organizational tie to the Spurs and Pop, whether it be coaches or front office personnel. Pop's an icon, who's transcending the sport. Much respect!

vander
04-24-2015, 11:52 AM
So if parker doesn't get hurt, does pop still play Mills? Because if not it's 0-2.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-24-2015, 04:25 PM

:tu

His greatness is always magnified for me when I witness a debacle like Monte Williams' coaching performance from last night.

spurraider21
04-24-2015, 04:30 PM
pop is in his prime. people whine about his rotations, but that's been a theme as long as i can remember. go back in the archives and you'll find threads from 2006 whining about rotations.

before he relied on talent and talent alone. 4-down, etc. his current approach to coaching is changing the game.

Mugen
04-24-2015, 04:36 PM
I've always complained about his rotations and will probably continue to do so. He's by far the best coach today and probably the best of all time IMO. But that doesn't change the fact that he can overthink sometimes leading to retarded moves.......

Pop's not perfect and it's okay to criticize him. That's what makes this country so great. God Bless America tbh.......

Malik Hairston
04-24-2015, 04:42 PM
I've always complained about his rotations and will probably continue to do so. He's by far the best coach today and probably the best of all time IMO. But that doesn't change the fact that he can overthink sometimes leading to retarded moves.......

Pop's not perfect and it's okay to criticize him. That's what makes this country so great. God Bless America tbh.......

It's pretty stupid that some people think you can't criticize him because he's the GOAT, as if Dad Killer or Duncan didn't have bad games:lol..

I don't really think there's a "prime" in coaching..the effectiveness of a coach from a long-term perspective is based on:

- How much he still cares about coaching
- His level of adaptability
- The way he gets along with his players/coaching

In every sport, there's an abundance of coaches that were great in one era, but couldn't adapt to the changes of their league, tbh..Pop, like Duncan, has adapted to the changes, which is extremely rare IMO, I can't think of many examples of players/coaches that fit this criteria(Belichick is the first that comes to mind)..

Of course it took Pop a little while to adapt, though, which is natural..he was still relying on "old vets" to surround the big 3(which is pretty common among NBA coaches) in the dark days of Bogans, Finley, etc..

TheGreatYacht
04-24-2015, 05:02 PM
If we would've lost Game 2, this place would call for a lynching

But they won, so everybody seems to forget his horrible coaching throughout the game. Good thread

EVAY
04-24-2015, 05:53 PM
It's pretty stupid that some people think you can't criticize him

Of course it took Pop a little while to adapt, though, which is natural..he was still relying on "old vets" to surround the big 3(which is pretty common among NBA coaches) in the dark days of Bogans, Finley, etc..

After the 2011 season ( or maybe 2012, I can't remember exactly), Pop went to R.C. and yelled at him "I don't have a bench". I think the days of cheap vets filling out the roster was a budgetary move on management's part, rather than a function of coaching.

Spur-Addict
04-24-2015, 05:55 PM
He's in ascension. That's the great thing about the mind, it elevates longer than the body.

Mugen
04-24-2015, 05:58 PM
After the 2011 season ( or maybe 2012, I can't remember exactly), Pop went to R.C. and yelled at him "I don't have a bench". I think the days of cheap vets filling out the roster was a budgetary move on management's part, rather than a function of coaching.

:lol Pop left a rookie Tiago riding the bench for most of that season relying on Blair/Bonner/Dice to support Tim. Splitter didn't really see a big role until the Spurs were getting their shit pushed in by ZBo and Marc tbh.

Robz4000
04-24-2015, 06:00 PM

Not this year tbh. I'd agree on the last few years outside some brainfarts on the big stages.

EVAY
04-24-2015, 06:10 PM
:lol Pop left a rookie Tiago riding the bench for most of that season relying on Blair/Bonner/Dice to support Tim. Splitter didn't really see a big role until the Spurs were getting their shit pushed in by ZBo and Marc tbh.

True. I had forgotten about that. Never did make any sense, did it?

SnakeBoy
04-24-2015, 06:13 PM

Pop would be the first one to say he isn't perfect. That's what makes him a freakin genius.

Clipper Nation
04-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Let's be real, Mack never had a prime. Vince and Colt were simply good enough to carry his ass.

Uriel
04-24-2015, 07:31 PM