PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons on Duncan..

Malik Hairston
04-25-2015, 04:02 AM
Posted yesterday in his mailbox article..http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-mailbag-reunion-tour-continues/

Q: Do you think Tim Duncan has a painting with his soul entrapped in it that he is not allowed to look at?
—Michael, Binghamton, NY

BS: It can’t be ruled out. Important Duncan note that jumps out when you watch him in person … his left leg does not work. Like, he drags it around as if it were a prosthetic. That thing does NOT work. He does everything off his right leg. Everything. Tim Duncan is amazing. YEAR EIGHTEEN!!!!! Is there any objective NBA fan who wouldn’t have rather had Duncan from 1997 to now instead of Kobe from 1997 to 2015 if the only objectives were “I want to try to win 55-65 games every year and I want to try to win multiple titles”? How can you pass up 18 straight years of Duncan? Only Kareem and Mailman were able to stay that good for that long. Fact: Tim Duncan is older than Brad Stevens. Fact: It doesn’t seem to matter. And no, it still hasn’t been explained to me why Duncan would retire yet. The quality of his game, night to night, hasn’t changed for five solid years. Well, except that he’s playing on one leg.

apalisoc_9
04-25-2015, 04:09 AM
Bill Simmons tried his best to sell his Kawhi DPOY Vote..not sure how mush influence he has on the media, but I like listening to bill simmons..Some really dumb takes here and there but he is really genuine..

Still don't understand why spursfan think Simmons hates the spurs..

100%duncan
04-25-2015, 04:15 AM
Timmy :worthy:

Old School 44
04-25-2015, 04:17 AM
When they build the Tim Duncan wing at the HoF these should be part of a prominent display.
I'd I hate to think where TD would be without them.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/913/516/timmy_original.jpg?1371137782

Horry Hipcheck
04-25-2015, 04:22 AM
Bill Simmons tried his best to sell his Kawhi DPOY Vote..not sure how mush influence he has on the media, but I like listening to bill simmons..Some really dumb takes here and there but he is really genuine..

Generally knows his shit and has a true love for the game. He's also got a knack for being the class clown, and I think that's why some people don't take him seriously. No basketball analyst is perfect, Simmons is just more of an entertainer than most others. The group he's got at Grantland is head and shoulders above anything ESPN has on tap.

crc21209
04-25-2015, 10:01 AM
When they build the Tim Duncan wing at the HoF these should be part of a prominent display.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/913/516/timmy_original.jpg?1371137782
^^^ Those are the real MVP :tu

SpursFan86
04-25-2015, 10:04 AM
Simmons says some dumb shit at times, and he's a massive homer, but overall he's a good writer. He at least seems to speak his mind and thinks for himself, rather than latching on to stupid recycled cliches.

He's certainly more knowledgeable than guys like Barkley, Miller, and Mark Jackson :lol

peacemaker885
04-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Love Bill Simmons articles. Pleasure to read.

Cry Havoc
04-25-2015, 11:22 AM

Agree, tbh. Simmons is just a dude who calls it likes he sees it, for better or worse, unless he's talking Celtics in which case he admits to being a total homer.

cjw
04-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Spurs fans think he hates the Spurs? Couldn't be further from the truth.

Now had the Spurs and Celtics met in the finals, could have been a different story.

Jenks
04-25-2015, 12:09 PM
http://grantland.com/features/the-footnote-title/

He was salty about the Spurs 'stealing' Duncan from his Celtics for a solid 10 years. He's gotten over it somewhat in the last 2 years. It was obvious as hell for a very long time.

Pauleta14
04-25-2015, 02:31 PM
http://grantland.com/features/the-footnote-title/

He was salty about the Spurs 'stealing' Duncan from his Celtics for a solid 10 years. He's gotten over it somewhat in the last 2 years. It was obvious as hell for a very long time.

I just think he is less entertained "professionaly" by the spurs and I get that.

He needs new stuff constantly and the Spurs stay the same, there's nothing new to say about them, once he or his guests said it dozens of time.

I doesn't mean he hates us or even dislike us, just that he prefers new stories...

pgardn
04-25-2015, 02:49 PM
Simmons says some dumb shit at times, and he's a massive homer, but overall he's a good writer. He at least seems to speak his mind and thinks for himself, rather than latching on to stupid recycled cliches.

He's certainly more knowledgeable than guys like Barkley, Miller, and Mark Jackson :lol

Actually, it's difficult to tell as the aforementioned jocks don't excel in the English language. Can anyone imagine what we would be subject to if they had to write in order to express their basketball knowledge...

Simmons is a really proficient whiny writer.

james evans
04-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Generally knows his shit and has a true love for the game. He's also got a knack for being the class clown, and I think that's why some people don't take him seriously. No basketball analyst is perfect, Simmons is just more of an entertainer than most others. The group he's got at Grantland is head and shoulders above anything ESPN has on tap.
yeah he knows his shit, but I don't like the mf for my own reasons.

spurraider21
04-25-2015, 03:31 PM
nobody is going to agree with any one analyst 100% of the time, and simmons gives poor takes from time to time.

but like i've said before, i think he's one of the best at what he does because he doesn't hide the fact that he's a fan. all his articles are from a perspective of a fan, not a journalist. and as a fan, its really easy to relate and enjoy his writing. i also like that he's not afraid to go against the grain and distance himself from "old media" perspectives

simmons has always been a duncan fan and a quasi spurs fan, in addition to a laker hater. so spurfans will naturally have an affinity to him

Juggity
04-25-2015, 03:32 PM

that one time in 2013 when the brace saved TD from a likely ACL tear:
http://i.imgur.com/6iIvhKv.jpg

tholdren
I always said there would never be another like "The Admiral" but I was wrong. Tim surpassed him long ago. I have told myself for the last 6 years to prepare because there will never be another like Tim. The shit he does is simply amazing - year after year -

thanks tim, and heres to b2b rings. cue the boris drinking wine

spurraider21
lol

this is like your "spurfans think kawhi sucks" take. how many spurfans have actually said simmons hates the spurs. please, enlighten me, o wise one

Clipper Nation
04-25-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm surprised that faggot actually managed to write a paragraph about Duncan without mentioning how butthurt he still is about that draft.

james evans
04-25-2015, 04:59 PM
nobody is going to agree with any one analyst 100% of the time, and simmons gives poor takes from time to time.

but like i've said before, i think he's one of the best at what he does because he doesn't hide the fact that he's a fan. all his articles are from a perspective of a fan, not a journalist. and as a fan, its really easy to relate and enjoy his writing. i also like that he's not afraid to go against the grain and distance himself from "old media" perspectives

simmons has always been a duncan fan and a quasi spurs fan, in addition to a laker hater. so spurfans will naturally have an affinity to him
my hate for him has nothing to do with sports. He's a bitch

-21-
04-25-2015, 11:47 PM
I like Bill Simmons.

Leetonidas
04-26-2015, 02:19 AM
Simmons is a great read but horrible to watch on TV, imo

will_spurs
04-26-2015, 02:23 AM
Simmons is good only when Boston is irrelevant. Fortunately Boston has rarely been relevant during his career, but it was still enough to waste quite a few years of it. As soon as the rebuilding process there ends, he's going full retard again.

Silver&Black
04-26-2015, 02:30 AM
I like that he's a fan first....Simmons is alright with me. I remember one NBA Finals Spurs/Heat pre-game show where he somehow sneaked in Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins references all in about a 5 minute span. Pretty impressive If you ask me....

benefactor
04-26-2015, 08:22 AM
I'm surprised that faggot actually managed to write a paragraph about Duncan without mentioning how butthurt he still is about that draft.
I think this is where the perceived Spur hate comes from. He doesn't really hate the Spurs...he just can't let go of what could've been in Boston.

hater
04-26-2015, 10:16 AM
fuck the celtic fan

UZER
04-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Bill is the first guy with a pretty big mouthpiece to not give a shit about the espn agenda. He's gonna call a spade a spade be it tanking, officiating, players fake persona, etc.

I remember before the spurs spurs v Lakers 2008, he mentioned something along the lines of the nba was not gonna let San Antonio win the series no matter what, and that there would be a really bad obvious call in the Lakers favor that would change the series. Then Fisher on Barry happened :cry.

Nothing most of us couldn't of predicted, but we don't work for ESPN. He's a breath of fresh air from the usual mouthpieces like Stephen A, Greeny, Cowherd always touting the company line.

Inb4: Manu was hurt, the tarmac, blah blah blah, yes I know.

Raven
04-26-2015, 10:58 AM
i like him.

Drachen
04-26-2015, 11:36 AM
I think this is where the perceived Spur hate comes from. He doesn't really hate the Spurs...he just can't let go of what could've been in Boston.

He even admits that it's better for Duncan and the league that he wound up with the spurs because of Rick pitino.

Drom John
04-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Basketball-Reference For single seasons; in the regular season; from 1946-47 to 2014-15; from age 38 to 38; sorted by descending Win Shares.

72 players have played in the NBA/ABA at age 38.
Missed by Simmons is Stockton.

1stT 10.8 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and John Stockton
3rd 9.8 Karl Malone
4th 9.6 Tim Duncan
5th 8.9 Reggie Miller

14thT 3.5 Terry Porter as a Spur

23rdT 2.2 Andre Miller 2015

28th 1.9 Kevin Garnett 2015

32ndT 1.0 Vince Carter 2015

Drom John
04-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Basketball-Reference For single seasons; in the playoffs; from 1946-47 to 2014-15; from age 38 to 38; sorted by descending Win Shares.

39 players have played in the playoffs in the NBA/ABA at age 38.

1stT 1.6 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Reggie Miller
3rdT 0.9 Ray Allen and Robert Parish
5th 0.8 John Stockton

10th with a bullet 0.4 Tim Duncan

12thT with a bullet 0.2 Vince Carter

20thT 0.0 Terry Porter as a Spur