PDA

View Full Version : kawai will not pursue other offer sheets this summer per sources.

davi78239
04-25-2015, 09:32 AM
He comin back!!!!

mudyez
04-25-2015, 09:39 AM
He's coming back anyway. No need to force the Spurs into a specific deal (probably a 2 year + 1 year player option) via other teams. Just tell R.C. what you want (maybe even a one year deal...as the cap/max will rise further) and he will give it to you Kawhi!

Gagnrath
04-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Duh.... He's a restricted free agent he was always coming back the question was just for how long and until fairly recently (I'd say shortly after the finals last year) how much.

cd98
04-25-2015, 09:45 AM
No need. He most likely agreed to a contract before the preseason and then wink, wink waited so the Spurs would have more money to sign another big free agent.

spursparker9
04-25-2015, 09:46 AM
From Woj = its true

:bobo

Outlier
04-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Hope he takes the longer contract now and not later so it handicaps us less later on.

vander
04-25-2015, 09:52 AM
So then the Spurs get to keep him for 4 mil next year right? :)

mudyez
04-25-2015, 10:03 AM
There are several routes he could take and the Spurs will do whatever he wants. Sure, Spurs would love to give him a max year max contract, but he would be stupid to sign it, as max now isn't max in the future. If I was his agend, I'd push for a 2 year/max with the second year a player option (at least i think, we can offer that...other teams couldn't). That way he can get a new max contract next year (maybe signing another 2/max/po-deal) and in case of a brutal off year, he still has the ensurance of the second year.

Book it! Kawhi won't leave anytime soon (meaning I'd put the chances of him beeing a Spur for life at about 80%), but I don't see him giving the Spurs a discount over the next 3 years. And he should have too anyway.

Mr. Body
04-25-2015, 10:51 AM
The Spurs, like the Cylons, have a plan.

AFBlue
04-25-2015, 11:35 AM
The point if the article remains...priority #1 is to lock up Kawhi. Priority #2, get LMA. Glad the Spurs have their priorities straight.

SilverSpur
04-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Is it possible to sign KL to less than a max contract and give him a big signing bouns to make up the differance like in football.
That way we keep him and are able to bring in a bigger FA.

davidbowie
04-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Damn we rule

ChumpDumper
04-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Is it possible to sign KL to less than a max contract and give him a big signing bouns to make up the differance like in football.
That way we keep him and are able to bring in a bigger FA.No.

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 03:01 PM
The point if the article remains...priority #1 is to lock up Kawhi. Priority #2, get LMA. Glad the Spurs have their priorities straight.

If their priorities are straight, resigning Danny Green to the longest possible contract is priority #2.

Horry Hipcheck
04-25-2015, 03:41 PM
If their priorities are straight, resigning Danny Green to the longest possible contract is priority #2.

This, tbh.

Richie
04-25-2015, 03:56 PM
There are several routes he could take and the Spurs will do whatever he wants. Sure, Spurs would love to give him a max year max contract, but he would be stupid to sign it, as max now isn't max in the future. If I was his agend, I'd push for a 2 year/max with the second year a player option (at least i think, we can offer that...other teams couldn't). That way he can get a new max contract next year (maybe signing another 2/max/po-deal) and in case of a brutal off year, he still has the ensurance of the second year.

You say that he'd be stupid, but he's only made $8m in his career so far. It's quite a risk for him to give up over $50m of guaranteed money, just look at Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill or more recently Derrick Rose at what an injury can do to derail an MVP/Hall of Fame career.

Of course it's possible, but I expect he will take the guaranteed money. It's different for an established superstar who already has $100m in the bank.

Richie
04-25-2015, 03:57 PM
That way we keep him and are able to bring in a bigger FA.

His eventual salary makes no difference in free agency as it's his $7.2m cap hold that counts until he actually signs.

rasuo214
04-25-2015, 04:23 PM
I think Kawhi signs for max and in a way that's basically him giving the Spurs a discount when the cap increases. He gets his money now and the Spurs save money in the future.

AFBlue
04-25-2015, 06:43 PM

Green is one of the best in the league as a 3&D role player, but LMA is an all-star that can carry the front court in a post-Duncan era. If you have a legitimate shot to add him at the expense of losing Green, I think it's a calculated risk the Spurs should take. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this.

rasuo214
04-25-2015, 06:54 PM
I would easily keep Green over having the chance to sign LMA. I'm not convinced that signing LMA would even be a good move for the Spurs.

RD2191
04-25-2015, 06:54 PM
I would easily keep Green over having the chance to sign LMA. I'm not convinced that signing LMA would even be a good move for the Spurs.

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Green is one of the best in the league as a 3&D role player, but LMA is an all-star that can carry the front court in a post-Duncan era. If you have a legitimate shot to add him at the expense of losing Green, I think it's a calculated risk the Spurs should take. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this.

I understand your reasoning, but I place a great deal of value in the Leonard/Green tandem (in a "the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" sort of way). Just as, imo, Splitter is more valuable to the Spurs than his individual talent may indicate because his presence has been a critical factor in extending Duncan's career. I see Green 's presence multiplying Kawhi's value in a similar fashion.

So, while LMA is the clearly superior NBA player if you compare him to Danny in one of DPG's famous bubbles, for the near term future Spurs, I would choose Danny plus a lesser big over LMA plus a lesser wing.

As you said, we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one.

Spur|n|Austin
04-25-2015, 07:04 PM
So then the Spurs get to keep him for 4 mil next year right? :)

Just imagine the possibilities!

coachmac87
04-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Buttttt....This all comes down to what Manu or Tim are going to do. Both retire? Only one retires? Sign cheap? Or sign a respectable contract....All of these play a factor into what the Spurs can and will do.

IMO if the Aldridge is seriously interested in coming to SA..Spurs must consider signing him. If all comes true I honestly believe Duncan and Manu would take a discount on a 1 year deal with 2nd year player option. Helps the Spurs transition into post Duncan era and gives them a legit last chance on winning another title.

r0drig0lac
04-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Green > LMA imo

thekingrobert
04-25-2015, 11:35 PM
Why LMA and not Gasol?

milkyway21
04-25-2015, 11:51 PM
WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE BEING A SPUR? Except perhaps limelight which is NOT Kawhi.

DesignatedT
04-26-2015, 01:40 AM
I could possibly see Green leaving but I don't think it will be because the Spurs aren't offering what he wants. I think the Spurs will step up with an offer but we'll see if Danny really wants to be in SA.

Stabula
04-26-2015, 01:48 AM

Fuck no. Danny Green alongside Kawhi is THE most potent perimeter defense in the NBA and that's HUGE in today's NBA where most stars are guards or small forwards.

silverblackfan
04-26-2015, 02:01 AM
I like LMA's skill set, but if Tim and Manu come back for a 1 year, the Spurs do not really need him. That should work as leverage.

dabom
04-26-2015, 02:01 AM
I'd lose splitter tbh. Keep green and LMA.

silverblackfan
04-26-2015, 02:02 AM
Fuck no. Danny Green alongside Kawhi is THE most potent perimeter defense in the NBA and that's HUGE in today's NBA where most stars are guards or small forwards.
Agreed. They are the new version of Jordon and Pippen. Assuming that Pop can keep riding Greens ass to keep him focused...

dabom
04-26-2015, 02:04 AM
I've noticed the reason Green doesn't get too much action is because he can't dribble the fucking ball sometimes. Sometimes green doesn't fit into some rotations because of that. If he had marco handles dude would get tons of playing time atleast more next to kawhi. .

Stabula
04-26-2015, 02:09 AM
Agreed. They are the new version of Jordon and Pippen. Assuming that Pop can keep riding Greens ass to keep him focused...

Pop's incessant bitching turned Parker from a no-name Euro to a FMVP all-star. Keep giving Danny the same treatment, it fucking works.

will_spurs
04-26-2015, 02:15 AM
Why LMA and not Gasol?

Because Gasol is not leaving Memphis. But if there's any indication he would, then of course go after Gasol first.

UZER
04-26-2015, 03:18 AM
DG to Cleveland to play with his dancing buddy.

z0sa
04-26-2015, 03:44 AM
As I said before, I had no doubt Kawhi wanted to stay here. Sucks Spurs are gonna have to overpay Green for several years to keep him in all likelihood. Tim's multifaceted presence in the paint massively aids Kawhi and Danny's ability to be aggressive defensely. I will not be surprised at all if the Spurs end up regretting the last year or two of DG's contract. Of course, Im not a big expert on the financial side of things so... take it with a grain of salt. Ive heard plenty of rumors about the cap being raised significantly, so maybe by that point he wont be THAT overpaid, relatively speaking.

spurraider21
04-26-2015, 03:47 AM
DG to Cleveland to play with his dancing buddy.
if love predictably bolts, they can make all kinds of offers... maybe even to LMA himself

K...
04-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Personally I think we should rest next year and go all in on giving kawhi minutes at first option. Second goal, new talent seasoning. I'd be fine with missing the playoffs to get rest time. Maybe we have a chance to three peat maybe we get a free agent and stay in win now. But other than that we should soft tank.

AFBlue
04-26-2015, 01:23 PM

Right, you'd need to replace Green with a solid defender to keep the dynamic. There are a few pending free agents (Carroll, Shumpert, Aminu, etc.) or draft prospects (J. Anderson, LeVert, Hunter) that could fit the bill. I understand none of them do what Danny does as well as Danny does it, but if you have an adequate replacement for that role you can more than make up for the production differential with Aldridge.

Agree Danny's role is important, just not sure I agree Danny himself is as important as potentially landing LMA.

AFBlue
04-26-2015, 01:25 PM
BTW, I fully understand the perspective that retaining Danny and securing a less impactful big will yield a more positive result. I just disagree with it as compared to the alternative.

BillMc
04-26-2015, 01:41 PM
You say that he'd be stupid, but he's only made $8m in his career so far. It's quite a risk for him to give up over $50m of guaranteed money, just look at Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill or more recently Derrick Rose at what an injury can do to derail an MVP/Hall of Fame career.

Of course it's possible, but I expect he will take the guaranteed money. It's different for an established superstar who already has $100m in the bank.

I agree. For your first massive payday take the guaranteed money.

Texas_Ranger
04-26-2015, 01:51 PM
I would not wanna lose Danny, but lets be honest, Danny would probably suck in any other system where they don't pass the ball a lot, cause he can't create his own shot.

Knoxxx
04-26-2015, 01:56 PM
I would not wanna lose Danny, but lets be honest, Danny would probably suck in any other system where they don't pass the ball a lot, cause he can't create his own shot.

And I can't decide if that increases or decreases the chances that get he gets overpaid here or elsewhere LOL.

He's inconsistent on offense, so it is really the defense we'd need to replace. I think it is possible and that retaining DG will come down to what our other options are, and how bad he wants to stay here.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Right, you'd need to replace Green with a solid defender to keep the dynamic. There are a few pending free agents (Carroll, Shumpert, Aminu, etc.) or draft prospects (J. Anderson, LeVert, Hunter) that could fit the bill. I understand none of them do what Danny does as well as Danny does it, but if you have an adequate replacement for that role you can more than make up for the production differential with Aldridge.

Agree Danny's role is important, just not sure I agree Danny himself is as important as potentially landing LMA.

I agree with your assessment. Danny is a role player and I trust Pop to fill that role with another player if need be. I certainly don't the Spurs to over pay him (8-9 million a year max) but signing a player like Aldrige should take precedence over re-signing Green. If we could get all three as having Leonard, Aldridge and Green on the court with their length and active hands would be fun to see

cjw
04-26-2015, 02:37 PM
if love predictably bolts, they can make all kinds of offers... maybe even to LMA himself

Lebron's cap hold (assuming he opts out) + Varejao + Irving + etc. puts them at around $60 million and that assumes Smith opts out and Tristan/Shumpert get renounced. Some websites haven't updated for Irving's new contract yet; unlike Spurs, they gave him his max deal early and it limits flexibility.