PDA

View Full Version : OT: No thread on NBA revisiting 'Hack-A-Shaq'

Infinite_limit
04-25-2015, 03:57 PM
What a load of crap. Association protecting it's precious athletes that can't shoot.

lefty
04-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Lol today's nba

Soft pussies

spurraider21
04-25-2015, 04:03 PM
the NBA could fix this rule by having a minimum FT% requirement/quota

daslicer
04-25-2015, 04:26 PM
I think the NBA is just saying it for good publicity to silence the bitching for now. I have heard to change the rule the NBA would need a super majority to vote in favor of it. I honestly don't think its going to happen.

unforeseen
04-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Non-issue

Clipper Nation
04-25-2015, 04:33 PM
I still don't understand the fake controversy over this. "Hack-a-Shaq" is a desperate gamble for the team deploying it, and it rarely ever works as intended. I get that the idea is to get the opposing offense out of a rhythm, but by removing any flow from the game, it also gets the team doing the hacking out of a rhythm. All a rule change would do is protect shitty free throw shooters and shitty desperate coaches, and I don't see how that's good for the sport.

davethedope
04-25-2015, 05:19 PM
idgaf what they do but it should officially be known as "Hack-a-Shaq" instead of all this bullshit, hack-a-jordan, or whomever.

Point is "Shaq" is a first name, so it should be, always... "Hack-a-DeAndre" or whomever, using the first name as a part of the phrase.

If the announcers aren't going to follow the grammatical protocol, then just say "Hack-a-Shaq" or shut the fuck up.

m>s
04-25-2015, 06:08 PM
How could they ban it when people will just do it less obviously and say it wasn't intentional

UZER
04-25-2015, 06:12 PM
How could they ban it when people will just do it less obviously and say it wasn't intentional

yup. They are gonna force players to foul hard, and you know that's gonna escalate.

04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
It really isn't a debate on whether it is a legitimate strategy or not. The main point is that it turns off casual viewers by disrupting the flow of the game. If the opponents can frame their case on the $$$ lost, there will be more owners willing to change the rule.

baseline bum
04-25-2015, 06:19 PM
I still don't understand the fake controversy over this. "Hack-a-Shaq" is a desperate gamble for the team deploying it, and it rarely ever works as intended. I get that the idea is to get the opposing offense out of a rhythm, but by removing any flow from the game, it also gets the team doing the hacking out of a rhythm. All a rule change would do is protect shitty free throw shooters and shitty desperate coaches, and I don't see how that's good for the sport.

I have seen it work really well three times in Spurs playoff matchups: Don Nelson did it to Bruce Bowen in Game 1 of the 03 WCF to cool off a hot Spurs offense and steal an ugly win. Scott Brooks did it to Splitter in Games 2 and 3 of the 2012 WCF and Splitter was useless the rest of the series. And the Spurs did it to Shaq in the 2008 first round and outed them in five.

KaiRMD1
04-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Tiago should be the poster boy for hack-a-shaq improvement. The year after they did it to him, old sport went and practiced his free throws. Now? Almost always automatic

Jacob1983
04-25-2015, 10:39 PM
I don't like soft ass shit.

Xevious
04-26-2015, 02:17 AM
The only rule change should be to suspend the player without pay that can't hit 50% of their FTs. These fuckers make way too much money to not work on something as fundamental as a free throw.

Jacob1983
04-26-2015, 02:20 AM
I think people are just bitching because the Spurs used it on Jordan in game 2 and it worked. That guy sucks ass at free throws.

z0sa
04-26-2015, 04:08 AM
The only rule change should be to suspend the player without pay that can't hit 50% of their FTs. These fuckers make way too much money to not work on something as fundamental as a free throw.

Honestly it's the other team's fans who should be outraged - they are the one paying their salaries. Stop asking for rule changes and start demanding your players shoot above 50% from the line, minimum.

mercos
04-26-2015, 02:24 PM
As boring as Hack-A-Shaq is to watch, getting rid of it would be a weak move by the NBA. Make the players get better. There is simply no excuse for a professional basketball player being so bad at one of the easiest aspects of the game. It is a FREE throw. If they get rid of Hack-A-Shaq for entertainment purposes, they should also get rid of preferential superstar treatment that leads to players like James Harden and Kevin Durant getting 10 free throws a game. Free throws are boring whether the player makes or misses them.

ambchang
04-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Free throws is the only aspect in basketball that I can say I am better at than any NBA player.

Monostradamus
04-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Free throws is the only aspect in basketball that I can say I am better at than any NBA player.
:lol so you're saying you could make over 90% of your free throws in front of 15,000+ people every night for 82 games?

cd021
04-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Bill Simmons had a good idea. If a team fouls another team 10 times in a quarter then they take 3 free throws for every subsequent foul.

Monostradamus
04-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Bill Simmons had a good idea. If a team fouls another team 10 times in a quarter then they take 3 free throws for every subsequent foul.
If they were to make a rule, I'd rather they give the team the option to decline the free throws and keep possession of the ball.

TheCultOfPersonality
04-26-2015, 05:16 PM
I don't think their should be a rule change at all. Just make your make your free throws for pete's sake.

ambchang
04-27-2015, 07:06 AM
:lol so you're saying you could make over 90% of your free throws in front of 15,000+ people every night for 82 games?

Any, not every.

Monostradamus
04-27-2015, 07:53 AM
Any, not every.

Do you need English lessons? If you walked in front of a room of NBA players and said "I'm better than any of you at shooting free throws" how would they interpret that?

ambchang
04-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Do you need English lessons? If you walked in front of a room of NBA players and said "I'm better than any of you at shooting free throws" how would they interpret that?

:lol Can't tell the difference between any and every
:lol using two different sentence structures to make a point
:lol using NBA players as a standard of literacy
:lol worse in English than an ESL student

unleashbaynes
04-27-2015, 09:06 AM
"I am better at free throws than any NBA player"

any and every are interchangeable in that sentence dude. And I'd be willing to bet that with the lights on and crowd roaring you wouldn't even hit 60%.

da_suns_fan
04-27-2015, 09:35 AM

Thats ridiculous.

Better idea: if a team fouls OFF THE BALL and theyre over the limit, the team fouled has the option to shoot free throws (as they would today) or take the ball out of bounds.

Problem solved.

da_suns_fan
04-27-2015, 09:38 AM
One of the WORST rules is the stupid "last two minutes" hack-a-shaq rule.

Why the hell are there different penalties for fouls depending on how much time is left in the game? Why should a foul with four minutes left be penalized differently than one with one minute left?

Monostradamus
04-27-2015, 09:55 AM
:lol Can't tell the difference between any and every
:lol using two different sentence structures to make a point
:lol using NBA players as a standard of literacy
:lol worse in English than an ESL student
You're a moron.

"I am better at free throws than any NBA player"

any and every are interchangeable in that sentence dude. And I'd be willing to bet that with the lights on and crowd roaring you wouldn't even hit 60%.
Thank you.

ambchang
04-27-2015, 10:14 AM
You're a moron.

Thank you.

No ...

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/any

Any or every?

We use any and every to talk about the total numbers of things in a group. Their meanings are not exactly the same:

Any doctor can prescribe medicine. (or Every doctor can …)

Every always refers to the total number of something. Any refers to one, several or all of a total number. We use every not any with singular countable nouns when we mean ‘each individual member of a group of something’.
Compare

You can come over for dinner any evening.

It doesn’t matter which one, or you can come every evening.

He came over for dinner every evening last week.

All of the evenings.

Monostradamus
04-27-2015, 10:26 AM
No ...

Any or every?

We use any and every to talk about the total numbers of things in a group. Their meanings are not exactly the same:

Every always refers to the total number of something. Any refers to one, several or all of a total number. We use every not any with singular countable nouns when we mean ‘each individual member of a group of something’.
Compare

All of the evenings.
Nice cherry picking of information in that link. Why didn't you cut/paste this part?

Strong form any meaning ‘it does not matter which’
We use any to mean ‘it does not matter which or what’, to describe something which is not limited. We use this meaning of any with all types of nouns and usually in affirmative sentences.

AlexJones
04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
:lmao

ambchang
04-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Nice cherry picking of information in that link. Why didn't you cut/paste this part?

Strong form any meaning ‘it does not matter which’
We use any to mean ‘it does not matter which or what’, to describe something which is not limited. We use this meaning of any with all types of nouns and usually in affirmative sentences.

Because I wrote the original post and you misinterpreted, picking the one I didn't mean and ignoring the one I meant.

Aztecfan03
04-27-2015, 02:13 PM
No ...

Any or every?

Compare

All of the evenings.

WHen you use "any" there are no exclusions. So you are saying you can shoot ft's better than any single basketball player which includes every basketball player.

Aztecfan03
04-27-2015, 02:15 PM
Because I wrote the original post and you misinterpreted, picking the one I didn't mean and ignoring the one I meant.
THe definition you posted still doesn't mean what you think it means.

Just admit you erred and should have put "some" instead.

Mitch
04-27-2015, 02:22 PM
No ...

Any or every?

Compare

All of the evenings.

You say any, I say Stephen Curry infront of 20k people.

da_suns_fan
04-27-2015, 02:28 PM

This is why the "free throws OR ball out bounds" for fouls off the ball is the obvious solution. Referees wont have to try and interpret whether a foul was intentional or not.

da_suns_fan
04-27-2015, 02:32 PM

What a fucking douche Monos is. Did you really not know what he meant? He says hes not better than ANY NBA player at ANY thing with the exception of free throw shooting.

Are you really that big of a douche or just a total fucking idiot?

Probably both.

Monostradamus
04-27-2015, 02:39 PM
What a fucking douche Monos is. Did you really not know what he meant? He says hes not better than ANY NBA player at ANY thing with the exception of free throw shooting.

Are you really that big of a douche or just a total fucking idiot?

Probably both.

You seem to be really upset over this.

da_suns_fan
04-27-2015, 02:44 PM
btw - Im a software developer and I can tell you that ambchang's logic is 100% correct.

"Any" is used to determine if one or more of a given list meets a condition. The condition in this case is that they are worse free throw shooter than ambchang.

"All" is used to determine if EVERY instance of a list meets a condition.

In English grammar its the same context:

Is Ambchang better than any NBA player at free throw shooting? Yes. Is he better than ALL NBA players at free throw shooting? No.

Does Monos have ANY friends? No.

Infinite_limit
04-27-2015, 02:48 PM
btw - Im a software developer and I can tell you that ambchang's logic is 100% correct.

"Any" is used to determine if one or more of a given list meets a condition. The condition in this case is that they are worse free throw shooter than ambchang.

"All" is used to determine if EVERY instance of a list meets a condition.

In English grammar its the same context:

Is Ambchang better than any NBA player at free throw shooting? Yes. Is he better than ALL NBA players at free throw shooting? No.

Does Monos have ANY friends? No.
;

da_suns_fan
04-27-2015, 02:49 PM
You seem to be really upset over this.

You hijack a basketball related thread to correct someones grammar in a case where you were wrong (as usual).

Seriously...do you have any friends?

da_suns_fan
04-27-2015, 02:49 PM
;

:bobo

james evans
04-27-2015, 02:50 PM
What a load of crap. Association protecting it's precious athletes that can't shoot.
they already protecting those that can't play defense with this zone bullshit. It's only fitting. The nba will not be satisfied until the box scores start to look like Harlem Globetrotter games.

TXstbobcat
04-27-2015, 03:06 PM
When these fucking apes learn how to shoot a free throw there won't be a hack-a-Shaq.

Monostradamus
04-27-2015, 03:37 PM
You hijack a basketball related thread to correct someones grammar in a case where you were wrong (as usual).

Seriously...do you have any friends?

I'm sure software development is a stressful job. Are you sure it's wise to get so agitated over this?

ambchang
04-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Didn't mean to cause a shit storm. We are here to discuss basketball and not English grammar. So I hereby extend an olive branch to everyone here and apologize for any hurt feelings.

ambchang
04-27-2015, 04:42 PM
WHen you use "any" there are no exclusions. So you are saying you can shoot ft's better than any single basketball player which includes every basketball player.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/any?s=t
The use of any in the sentence was in reference to the first definition, and not the fifth.
If there are more than one way to interpret a sentence, logic would flow that it is up to my definition because I wrote the sentence.
Was it unclear? Sure.
Could it be interpreted in more than one way? Sure.
That said, I never said it couldn't, I just said that the sentence could be interpreted the way I meant to have it interpreted, and Mono chose not to do so.

THe definition you posted still doesn't mean what you think it means.

Just admit you erred and should have put "some" instead.

Apparently, I didn't.

Monostradamus
04-27-2015, 05:33 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/any?s=t
The use of any in the sentence was in reference to the first definition, and not the fifth.
If there are more than one way to interpret a sentence, logic would flow that it is up to my definition because I wrote the sentence.
Was it unclear? Sure.
Could it be interpreted in more than one way? Sure.
That said, I never said it couldn't, I just said that the sentence could be interpreted the way I meant to have it interpreted, and Mono chose not to do so.

Apparently, I didn't.

Just take a couple extra ESL classes, that way you can express yourself clearly next time.

ambchang
04-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Just take a couple extra ESL classes, that way you can express yourself clearly next time.

Still taking them. They surely did a better job that your EFL classes.

cd021
04-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Thats ridiculous.

Better idea: if a team fouls OFF THE BALL and theyre over the limit, the team fouled has the option to shoot free throws (as they would today) or take the ball out of bounds.

Problem solved.

Hack a shaq isn't really a problem. It rarely ever happens over the course of a season. NBA overreacting by even looking into fixing it.

Monostradamus
04-28-2015, 04:49 AM
Still taking them. They surely did a better job that your EFL classes.
I'm better at English than any person alive.

ambchang
04-28-2015, 08:09 AM
I'm better at English than any person alive.

Quite a feat. Everybody else dieded?

unleashbaynes
04-28-2015, 08:16 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how the fuck being a software developer has anything to do with the discussion :lol

Mori Chu
04-28-2015, 10:16 AM
One of the WORST rules is the stupid "last two minutes" hack-a-shaq rule.

Why the hell are there different penalties for fouls depending on how much time is left in the game? Why should a foul with four minutes left be penalized differently than one with one minute left?

I agree. Makes no sense and doesn't fix the problem.

da_suns_fan
04-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Hack a shaq isn't really a problem. It rarely ever happens over the course of a season. NBA overreacting by even looking into fixing it.

Its absolutely a problem.

Teams shouldnt purposely try to "break the rules" to exploit an opponents weakness.

Its leads to over-coaching (by guys like Popovic) and an extremely un-watchable game.

Free throws or ball out of bounds for fouls off the ball. Problem solved.

cd021
04-28-2015, 11:06 PM

Teams shouldnt purposely try to "break the rules" to exploit an opponents weakness.

Its leads to over-coaching (by guys like Popovic) and an extremely un-watchable game.

Make your free-throws. The NBA shouldn't help out bad foul shooters. Thats moronic.

ffadicted
04-28-2015, 11:25 PM
They're called freebies for a reason... it's meant to be an easy point lol
Not the coaches fault if you're a professional making millions and you can't do what any average middle schooler could

Xevious
04-29-2015, 03:27 AM

The only problem is the overpaid gorilla that can't practice fundementals of the game.

xellos88330
04-29-2015, 10:21 AM
I think it is funny that people want to protect the bad free throw shooters. When Bowen was getting hacked, it didn't bother me. You have to be able to make your free throws. It really is that simple. Changing the rules because of a only a few players basketball deficiencies is ridiculous. I also think that it is funny that people complain about the hacking strategy when the last couple of minutes in a close game turns into the same fucking thing anyways.

da_suns_fan
04-29-2015, 07:10 PM
I think it is funny that people want to protect the bad free throw shooters. When Bowen was getting hacked, it didn't bother me. You have to be able to make your free throws. It really is that simple. Changing the rules because of a only a few players basketball deficiencies is ridiculous. I also think that it is funny that people complain about the hacking strategy when the last couple of minutes in a close game turns into the same fucking thing anyways.

Its not changing the rules because some players cant make free throws. If a player has the ball, then by all means foul him and put him on the line.

But stopping play every time the opponent get possession of the ball is bad for the game. We pay to see athletes pay basketball, not to watch coaches try to exploit loopholes in the rule book.

Mitch
04-29-2015, 07:57 PM

Like DSF said, it's less to protect the players and more to stop coaches from making the opposing team rely on freethrows. Constant fouling is bad for the NBA as nobody wants to see that unless they're a fan of the team doing the hacking.

ImDaNuts
04-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Just have it changed so if a team keeps doing the hack a shaq then the team just gets to choose who shoots the FTs so we can actually watch a game of basketball and not FTs.

xellos88330
04-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Its not changing the rules because some players cant make free throws. If a player has the ball, then by all means foul him and put him on the line.

But stopping play every time the opponent get possession of the ball is bad for the game. We pay to see athletes pay basketball, not to watch coaches try to exploit loopholes in the rule book.

Free throws are part of basketball. They are actually pretty damn critical. I don't understand how people can complain about deliberately fouling players, when offensive players deliberately run into people to get free throws. For example, Harden probably has attempted more free throws than entire teams in the NBA. Doesn't that slow down the game too? There have been games when I see Harden/Durant/Westbrook attempt 20+ free throws. Yet nobody complains about it ruining the games "rhythm".

xellos88330
04-30-2015, 02:51 PM
If you are going to complain about defenses intentionally hacking, then you should also complain about offensive players generating too many free throws because it does the same thing as hacking. There is more entertainment value watching a bad free throw shooter shoot free throws than there is a good free throw shooter shooting his.

da_suns_fan
04-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Free throws are part of basketball. They are actually pretty damn critical. I don't understand how people can complain about deliberately fouling players, when offensive players deliberately run into people to get free throws. For example, Harden probably has attempted more free throws than entire teams in the NBA. Doesn't that slow down the game too? There have been games when I see Harden/Durant/Westbrook attempt 20+ free throws. Yet nobody complains about it ruining the games "rhythm".

Nonsense.

"Running into players" is an offensive foul. Like Harden, Durant gets fouled because he gets hit when hes shooting which is "against the rules" and thus he gets free throws.

Thats not even remotely the same as Popovic fouling Jordan the second the ball is in-bounded when he doesnt even have the ball. This is breaking the rules on purpose because of a loophole in the rule-book.

Its crap basketball and they need to change it.

xellos88330
05-01-2015, 08:30 AM
Nonsense.

"Running into players" is an offensive foul. Like Harden, Durant gets fouled because he gets hit when hes shooting which is "against the rules" and thus he gets free throws.

Thats not even remotely the same as Popovic fouling Jordan the second the ball is in-bounded when he doesnt even have the ball. This is breaking the rules on purpose because of a loophole in the rule-book.

If it is breaking the rules, it wouldn't be allowed. Sending Jordan to the line 10 times is no different than Harden/Durant or whoever getting to the line 10 times.

TDMVPDPOY
05-01-2015, 08:48 AM
but the nba is the best league in the world with the top400 players..

lol gettin rid of hack a scrub to protect shitty ft shooters who get paid big bucks...

snickles
05-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Nonsense.

intentionally initiating contact with the intent to get a foul called.

its the same thing.