PDA

View Full Version : Could the Lakers be dumb enough to offer the Spurs a top five pick for Parker?

Ditty
04-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Lakers have one of the worst front offices in the NBA right now, and could be desperate to land another "star" player next to Kobe to keep him happy in his last season, and try to contend for the playoffs next season.

Just a thought...

I'm a Parker fan btw

dabom
04-25-2015, 05:18 PM
What did the suns get for nash? We could get double probably.

RD2191
04-25-2015, 05:19 PM
I doubt they'd do that. Plus as much as porker sucks these days I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench.

dabom
04-25-2015, 05:20 PM
I doubt they'd do that. Plus as much as porker sucks these days I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench.

At 14mil a year?

RD2191
04-25-2015, 05:21 PM
At 14mil a year?
I know it sucks but I don't know...

RD2191
04-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Seeing that pudgy bastard on another team wouldn't feel right. If he isn't willing to drastically change his game though he can gtfo.

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 05:25 PM
In one word: No.

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Lakers have one of the worst front offices in the NBA right now, and could be desperate to land another "star" player next to Kobe to keep him happy in his last season, and try to contend for the playoffs next season.

Just a thought...

I'm a Parker fan btw

There's no way that they're stupid enough to trade a potential first overall pick before the lottery. Now, if they wind up with the 5th overall pick in the lottery, then a pre-draft trade for Parker wouldn't be totally inconceivable.

Ditty
04-25-2015, 05:26 PM
I think LA will be extremely disappointed if they don't land a top three pick, that they might try to package Randle and the 4th-5th pick for a proven player right away sort of like when Boston traded the fifth pick for a 32 year old Ray Allen in 07. The only thing Ray Allen was coming off his best season in his career.

Ditty
04-25-2015, 05:31 PM
There's no way that they're stupid enough to trade a potential first overall pick before the lottery. Now, if they wind up with the 5th overall pick in the lottery, then a pre-draft trade for Parker wouldn't be totally inconceivable.

Yeah no way Lakers trade us a top three pick, but as I mentioned in the post above if the pick lands in the 4-5 range, I think Lakers will be open to trading for a proven player.

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Realistically, no GM in their right mind will trade for a 33 year-old declining PG who's making $14 mil/per. That would be a horrendous trade.

RD2191
04-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Also, after this season, no one in their right mind would give up a top pick for Porker.:lol

spurraider21
the spurs could have quite the offseason in that scenario, though it would be discomforting not really having a full time pg

dabom
RC the analytics guy made his bed. :lmao

Ditty
04-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Realistically, no GM in their right mind will trade for a 33 year-old declining PG who's making $14 mil/per. That would be a horrendous trade.

It's the Lakers. I think the fans are probably not going to tolerate another year of rebuilding, especially with Kobe still on the team...

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Yeah no way Lakers trade us a top three pick, but as I mentioned in the post above if the pick lands in the 4-5 range, I think Lakers will be open to trading for a proven player.

I agree, that franchise isn't the sort to patiently build through the draft.

Ditty
04-25-2015, 05:42 PM
I agree, that franchise isn't the sort to patiently build through the draft.

Yeah I don't think Jack, and the other movie stars want to go through another rebuilding season. I think rather compete until the last week of the season, until they miss the playoffs by a few games :lol.

Clipper Nation
04-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Mitch is going to be too busy giving a max contract to R:lolnd:lol, tbh.

Ditty
04-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Mitch is going to be too busy giving a max contract to R:lolnd:lol, tbh.

Imagine if Mitch thinks a lineup of Kobe at small forward, Parker at shooting guard, and Rondo at point guard will be the next big three. :lol

Malik Hairston
04-25-2015, 05:54 PM
:lol they're going to give Rondo a bunch of money, they won't need a PG, unfortunately..

The Knicks are always a possibility, though..

I hope T-Prig finishes his career in SA, though, despite the contract..

Ditty
04-25-2015, 06:04 PM
:lol they're going to give Rondo a bunch of money, they won't need a PG, unfortunately..

The Knicks are always a possibility, though..

I hope T-Prig finishes his career in SA, though, despite the contract..

NY is not a bad option also, just think that the NBA is going to give the Lakers or Knicks the first pick in the draft to make them relevant again.

Would be nice if they have they both land the fourth and fifth pick, or they just fuck with the lakers, and there pick lands at six and have to give it to Phoenix. :lol

100%duncan
04-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Seeing that pudgy bastard on another team wouldn't feel right. If he isn't willing to drastically change his game though he can gtfo.

Showing your soft side huh.... :lol

RD2191
04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Showing your soft side huh.... :lol
:cry

purist
04-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Also, after this season, no one in their right mind would give up a top pick for Porker.:lol

Parkers game is transitioning as he ages. His value is increasingly in how he affects the game without scoring as much. In game 3 he was critical in the early going by setting pace and penetrating. He now can become more of a facilitator than scorer. It's a sign of diminishing skills, yes, but he can still be effective. Problem is he is more valuable to Spurs than any other team. I wouldn't dismiss his importance so quickly.

CGD
04-25-2015, 06:18 PM
That or instead of the 5th trade for J. Randle? It'd open up the log jam the Lakers would have if they're looking at Love. Parker, Bryant, Love trio is marketable.

james evans
04-25-2015, 06:23 PM
how old was nash when he went to the lakers? It wasn't 33 btw..

RD2191
04-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Parkers game is transitioning as he ages. His value is increasingly in how he affects the game without scoring as much. In game 3 he was critical in the early going by setting pace and penetrating. He now can become more of a facilitator than scorer. It's a sign of diminishing skills, yes, but he can still be effective. Problem is he is more valuable to Spurs than any other team. I wouldn't dismiss his importance so quickly.
I somewhat agree but he has to be willing to pass first. He needs to stop shooting 3s and mid range jumpers.

gambit1990
04-25-2015, 06:34 PM
trade him to the knicks and get shved.

RD2191
04-25-2015, 06:43 PM
Parker just needs to pass to the open man. Needs to learn how to play better with Kawhi and set up his shot every now and then. Parker is getting up there in age though. A new PG that can grow with Kawhi/Green would be nice, tbh.

dabom
04-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Co
J
O

cd98
04-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Lakers won't have a pick unless it's top 3. They traded it to Suns.

BatManu20
04-25-2015, 06:54 PM
how old was nash when he went to the lakers? It wasn't 33 btw..

Exactly, the Lakers won't make that same mistake again. And it was a bad trade in the first place. The Lakers were getting pressure to help Kobe so they took a huge gamble and it backfired in their face.

CGD
Lakers won't have a pick unless it's top 3. They traded it to Suns.

Top 5

cd98
I think LA will be extremely disappointed if they don't land a top three pick, that they might try to package Randle and the 4th-5th pick for a proven player right away sort of like when Boston traded the fifth pick for a 32 year old Ray Allen in 07. The only thing Ray Allen was coming off his best season in his career.

I believe this pick was traded to Suns but is top 3 protected. So if it's 4 or 5, Suns will draft. To be honest, Spurs can't trade Parker unless they get a PG good enough to replace him. Our PG back ups aren't starters in this league. And first three picks will all be project forwards. We are pretty stacked at that position and have options at that position for free agency. But no good PGs are available, to my knowledge. None that I would take with a top 3 pick and none in free agency that I am aware of.

Mel_13
04-25-2015, 07:39 PM
I believe this pick was traded to Suns but is top 3 protected. So if it's 4 or 5, Suns will draft. To be honest, Spurs can't trade Parker unless they get a PG good enough to replace him. Our PG back ups aren't starters in this league. And first three picks will all be project forwards. We are pretty stacked at that position and have options at that position for free agency. But no good PGs are available, to my knowledge. None that I would take with a top 3 pick and none in free agency that I am aware of.

It's top 5 protected and Phoenix traded the pick to Philly in the trade to acquire Brandon Knight.

DMC
04-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Spurs won't trade Tony. He'd have to want a trade first. He a lifer in SA now.

cd98
04-25-2015, 07:47 PM
It's top 5 protected and Phoenix traded the pick to Philly in the trade to acquire Brandon Knight.

Right. It's top 3 protected next year. My mistake, but even a top 5 pick may not be worth trading Tony given the lottery isn't point guard heavy. At this point, a young big would be nice, but the roster is pretty talented in that area and someone like Aldridge is on the market. Not so with PGs.

ducks
04-25-2015, 08:21 PM

Just a thought...

I'm a Parker fan btwno Parker ruins chemistry
No Parker means no duncan

will_spurs
04-25-2015, 08:22 PM
The thing, they could trade their pick for a proven veteran AND still get LMA.

Right now they can't really bait LMA because there's nobody on the team. A proven veteran could solve that. But I don't think Parker is the guy they want nor need, especially as he's a Spur for life anyway.

ducks
04-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Even in a limited capacity Parker.is clearly the generator of Spurs' ball movement and it somehow doesn't matter?!?

Cklbmk
04-25-2015, 08:31 PM
I hope they're dumb enough to do that

TrainOfThought5
04-25-2015, 09:10 PM
They were dumb enough to trade for Nash to be honest.

Malik Hairston
04-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Even in a limited capacity Parker.is clearly the generator of Spurs' ball movement and it somehow doesn't matter?!?

:lmao

CGD
04-25-2015, 09:17 PM

There are two type of folks in here: the group who wants to move TP because of an emotional and irrational hatred of the guy (the "Porker" caucus and their trolls). Then there are other more even keel and reasonable folks who are looking to the future where TD and Manu are retiring soon. Those folks are really asking if it makes sense to get value for a very good PG now even if there is a drop off while the team reloads.

DrunkTXLabrat
04-26-2015, 12:51 AM
I buy the Rondo Laker rumors. Plus i the Lakers not wanting the Nash situation, all over again. And more, Parker finally being a lifetime Spur.

Stabula
04-26-2015, 02:25 AM
Parker is going to re-invent his game after the past 2 seasons and stop playing like he's still 25. I expect him to develop his 3-point shot and make his mid-range jumper more reliable. Spurs have the best shooting coach in the league. He's going to come back better next year, I'm almost certain. 14 million a year better? No. But he's going to remain a major piece for this team.

dabom
04-26-2015, 02:32 AM
Parker is going to re-invent his game after the past 2 seasons and stop playing like he's still 25. I expect him to develop his 3-point shot and make his mid-range jumper more reliable. Spurs have the best shooting coach in the league. He's going to come back better next year, I'm almost certain. 14 million a year better? No. But he's going to remain a major piece for this team.

So you want him to shoot more jumpshots. :lmao

I thought you were going to say become a passer. :lmao

then I thought who am I kidding. Tony becoming an assist man. :lmao

Stabula
04-26-2015, 02:38 AM

So you want him to shoot more jumpshots. :lmao

I thought you were going to say become a passer. :lmao

then I thought who am I kidding. Tony becoming an assist man. :lmao

Tony IS a good passer, even when he doesn't get double digit assists. He's smart, has good vision, knows the system better than anyone, and gets the team in their sets. His penetration and smart passing drives the whole fucking offense, how long have you been watching this team? What's clear is that he is no longer the fastest guy on the court (was a really big part of his game in the past) and he's not going to live in the paint like he used to. He absolutely can improve the efficiency of his mid-range shot and he can develop a 3-point shot on top of it, he's already shown signs of it. As long as he's not hero-balling (he's not that guy anymore) he can still score and run the show at the same time.

dabom
04-26-2015, 02:46 AM
I think people give too much credit to parker and running the team. He isn't doing anything special. All he had to do to help the team was to diminish his shit play. What better way than to stop doing anything at all.
That's basically his magic right there. This team is ready to explode with a good point guard. Look at patty for an example. Patty gives you hustle and points and not too much of both and the spurs look like a locomotive.
It doesn't take the spurs much to get rolling. Parker is done. I said all season parker is done and he was going to hurt us in the playoffs. He stopped going enrique and we look like a fucking team again. He as a player is done impacting the spurs in a positive way. He is just decreasing his net negative nowadays if you understand what I mean.

Yuixafun
04-26-2015, 02:55 AM
It would be a collossal waste if Duncan and Manu retire... And then Parker leaves?

Everything that has sprung from years of life on the court, just suddenly vanished.

Kawhi has been free to grow in a unique way, to develop his talents, discover his identity and blossom in a glistening environment.

Being guided by an All time great in Duncan, and Coach in Pop, plus hall of fame teamates to challenge and encourage, other character role players to bond with, and feel responsible for.... all united under a grand vision.

Let Tp bear the burden of being the Spurs Banner player for a few more years, until Kawhi is fully grown and the others stronger too.

There has to be sheppard during the transition, a keeper of the knowledge, someone that helped create the system, transformed with it.

Danny is humble, heart, tenacity... Kawhi is a quiet killer baby monster, Tp can be the cool front man taking all the heat, until Kawhi ascends.

The Spurs are carving out the greatest dynasty in Sports history by staying pounding on the rock.

Just thinking about Duncan's span and tenure, it's a fascinating saga.

dabom
04-26-2015, 02:58 AM
It would be a collossal waste if Duncan and Manu retire... And then Parker leaves?

Everything that has sprung from years of life on the court, just suddenly vanished.

Kawhi has been free to grow in a unique way, to develop his talents, discover his identity and blossom in a glistening environment.

Being guided by an All time great in Duncan, and Coach in Pop, plus hall of fame teamates to challenge and encourage, other character role players to bond with, and feel responsible for.... all united under a grand vision.

Let Tp bear the burden of being the Spurs Banner player for a few more years, until Kawhi is fully grown and the others stronger too.

There has to be sheppard during the transition, a keeper of the knowledge, someone that helped create the system, transformed with it.

Danny is humble, heart, tenacity... Kawhi is a quiet killer baby monster, Tp can be the cool front man taking all the heat, until Kawhi ascends.

The Spurs are carving out the greatest dynasty in Sports history by staying pounding on the rock.

Just thinking about Duncan's span and tenure, it's a fascinating saga.

I felt like you put some thought into that. I won't even say anything.

DJR210
04-26-2015, 03:40 AM
At 14mil a year?

Lakers would more than likely add another 10 or so million per year

z0sa
04-26-2015, 03:47 AM
Spurs chemistry would be all busted up if that happened.

Parker's a spur for life.

Mal
04-26-2015, 06:32 AM
Exactly, the Lakers won't make that same mistake again. And it was a bad trade in the first place. The Lakers were getting pressure to help Kobe so they took a huge gamble and it backfired in their face.

Kirby need help to secure another high pick.

Raven
04-26-2015, 06:51 AM
no. The real question, should be if tony would accept to be the sixth man from now on, since he is not good with the starters, but could be a good one off the bench

cjw
04-26-2015, 10:14 AM

Except if two teams jump them, then they dealt the 6th overall pick for a 37 year old PG making almost as much! Lightening will never strike twice here though.

K...
04-26-2015, 10:36 AM
no. The real question, should be if tony would accept to be the sixth man from now on, since he is not good with the starters, but could be a good one off the bench

I think if there were talent clearly better than him he would. But cojo and mills are nobodies who haven't shown they're consistently better. It would be insulting to bench Parker to start an unproven player, unless it's a clear lottery talent.

I think Parker would have fun playing with Boris and shooters against second class talent.

Raven
04-26-2015, 11:07 AM
I think if there were talent clearly better than him he would. But cojo and mills are nobodies who haven't shown they're consistently better. It would be insulting to bench Parker to start an unproven player, unless it's a clear lottery talent.

I think Parker would have fun playing with Boris and shooters against second class talent.

i'm pretty sure we didn't have all that many players that are better than manu.

K...
04-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Manu was a special talent who couldn't play full minutes due to injury. Manu was also an integral part of the closing unit.

Parker looks more likely to be an engine starter. Then once the hot hand emerges the offense becomes sustainable. We need an above average pg to replace him.

icango
04-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Parker just needs to pass to the open man. Needs to learn how to play better with Kawhi and set up his shot every now and then. Parker is getting up there in age though. A new PG that can grow with Kawhi/Green would be nice, tbh.

:clap

DPG21920
04-26-2015, 12:03 PM

The Spurs starting lineup, the majority of the season with Parker, was one of the best SL's in the league. When we had Tiago/Kawhi back, with TP at the helm, it was an incredibly good lineup.

LarryDavid
04-26-2015, 12:06 PM
They're dumb enough to make a run at Rondo so yea.

Pauleta14
04-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Spurs chemistry would be all busted up if that happened.

Parker's a spur for life.

Spurs won't trade Tony. He'd have to want a trade first. He a lifer in SA now.

Raven
04-26-2015, 12:09 PM
The Spurs starting lineup, the majority of the season with Parker, was one of the best SL's in the league. When we had Tiago/Kawhi back, with TP at the helm, it was an incredibly good lineup.

that's because we had 4/5 defensive studs. with duncan gone, cojo needs to step in and tony out imo

ElNono
04-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Tony isn't going anywhere, tbh

RD2191
04-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Tony isn't going anywhere, tbh
Well not with that attitude.