PDA

View Full Version : LMA poll

K...
04-26-2015, 10:23 AM
A lot of people have strong opinions about LMA, but they're kind of scattered and for all I know there's a silent majority for or against.

For the record I a pro lma. Spurs have to roll the dice to keep relevant. Lma is our best bet over a three year period.

Waiting for other FA isn't going to net us anything realistically better.

look_at_g_shred
04-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Pro

ddjeffries
04-26-2015, 11:11 AM
You don't have to gut the team or keep the team intact to get him. Manu is retiring no matter what. Duncan may come back one more year. Should be able sign Kawhi and LMA to max. Not sure where that leaves Green tho.

SpursFan86
04-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Expecting him to take a paycut is naive. But I'd be happy to have him as long as we keep everyone outside of Tim/Manu...they'd need to retire for us to have the cap space in the first place.

Raven
04-26-2015, 11:16 AM
yes if we keep why, green and cojo in the process. Anyway, i'd probably rather see greg monroe on a tiago deal than lma, but of course i won't hate on such a great player.

xellos88330
04-26-2015, 11:22 AM
I can't offer an complete answer because I am unaware of what teammates are staying or going. I would have to say a friendly deal is the position I am currently in.

unleashbaynes
04-26-2015, 11:24 AM
RJ 2.0, getting into post-prime years, soft, gets dominated on defense, though his rebounding has improved over the years.

vander
04-26-2015, 11:25 AM
if we can't get anyone else, such as Dragic, then sure.

Sec24Row7
04-26-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm not a fan of his D, his passing ability, or his effort on the offensive glass.

K...
04-26-2015, 11:33 AM
A couple things. Monroe is getting more than splitter $.

Dragic just pouted his way off the suns because he wasn't the man. We're a year away at least from Tony being official tosb . He might just be injured. As a FA looking for a starter position, do you bet on Parker retiring or being benched? No.

So the only pg who would make sense would be like Isaiah Thomas, a young prospect who needs some championship seasoning. I think we'd be better of waiting to the trade deadline before getting a pg. Maybe we draft one and trade mills.

vander
04-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Dragic just pouted his way off the suns because he wasn't the man. We're a year away at least from Tony being official tosb . He might just be injured. As a FA looking for a starter position, do you bet on Parker retiring or being benched? No.

yeah, Dragic is a pipe dream squared and would require unloading TP. but he would be able to play alongside both Cojo/Mills and replace both Manu's and TP's creation abilities. just so damn perfect IMO.

Raven
04-26-2015, 11:54 AM
A couple things. Monroe is getting more than splitter $.

So the only pg who would make sense would be like Isaiah Thomas, a young prospect who needs some championship seasoning. I think we'd be better of waiting to the trade deadline before getting a pg. Maybe we draft one and trade mills.

lol

K...
04-26-2015, 11:57 AM
lol

Yeah I know what really happened. It's just that dragic will be better off on Miami or L.A.. He'd be great for the spurs and I've wanted him for years on the spurs, but I don't see it this year.

Blake
04-26-2015, 12:42 PM
I haven't checked in a while......is Marc Gasol a pipe dream?

itzsoweezee
04-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Really want to keep Green. That Green, Leonard, Splitter trio is pretty damn elite.

ginobilized
04-26-2015, 12:49 PM
A front court of Leonard-Duncan-Aldridge-Splitter-Diaw would be freakish offensively and defensively.
LMA seems coachable and Pop might have to get a bit Serbian on him to dial him in. AND the man can score. Imagine what he would do for Green and Parker on offense. It's a no-brainer to me if it could work $-wise.

ElNono
04-26-2015, 12:51 PM
I don't think dude is trash, his defense probably is though. What I'm not sure is if I want 4-5 years of Spurs being 2nd round fodder once Timmy retires...

That's probably the biggest fear, being good enough to make the playoffs but not being contenders.

RD2191
04-26-2015, 12:56 PM
I don't think dude is trash, his defense probably is though. What I'm not sure is if I want 4-5 years of Spurs being 2nd round fodder once Timmy retires...

That's probably the biggest fear, being good enough to make the playoffs but not being contenders.
So you're saying we should go all in for the tank?

ElNono
04-26-2015, 01:07 PM

not sure, tbh... haven't made up my mind yet. I rather deal with it when it happens.

RD2191
04-26-2015, 01:08 PM
not sure, tbh... haven't made up my mind yet. I rather deal with it when it happens.
I understand.

ElNono
04-26-2015, 01:11 PM
I understand.

I'm trust the FO will have a plan. I just rather sit back and enjoy Tim and Gino last few years.

Spur-Addict
04-26-2015, 01:16 PM

For your wife, yes.

vander
04-26-2015, 01:17 PM
I'm trust the FO will have a plan. I just rather sit back and enjoy Tim and Gino last few years.

do you know something? say it ain't so! surely he realizes his time is past. he can still go make plenty of money as a celebrity in Argentina.

ElNono
04-26-2015, 01:19 PM
do you know something? say it ain't so! surely he realizes his time is past. he can still go make plenty of money as a celebrity in Argentina.

Not more than everybody else. He hinted he could play one more year, but I suppose, just like Tim, it's going to be a decision he makes over the summer if the Spurs want him back.

Mikeanaro
04-26-2015, 01:27 PM
No tanking pleasssseeeee, thats like dating fat chicks while expecting to catch a supermodel.
We have enough talent tanking will ruin Kawhi´s career a couple of years I dont think thats the solution.

BatManu20
04-26-2015, 01:32 PM

Yes. I'd say 90% chance he stays in Memphis.

BatManu20
04-26-2015, 01:34 PM
Pro LA all the way. The Spurs will not have a shot at any other All-Star caliber player (there's a good chance we wouldn't get him anyways, but js).

And I think a lot of people on this board are underestimating the drop-off that's going to take place once Duncan retires. It's not going to be pretty, tbh.

Blake
04-26-2015, 01:37 PM
For your wife, yes.

that doesn't make sense

FkLA
04-26-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm not too impressed with his D and think settles for his fadeaway too much, but I think the Spurs culture/Pop would get the most out him. He'd improve in those areas imo.

I'd take him as long as we don't break up WingStop and don't include Splitter in sign & trade for him. If Timmy and Manu come back just take the luxury tax hit for one year to go for the three-peat tbh.

AFBlue
04-26-2015, 01:39 PM
"Gut" is probably the wrong word, but they'd realistically have to lose a piece or two (through free agency or retirement) in order to be in play for LMA. Depending on who they lose, I'd say yes he's worth it.

Spur-Addict
04-26-2015, 01:41 PM
that doesn't make sense

Sure it does. Just think about it.

FkLA
04-26-2015, 01:41 PM
"Gut" is probably the wrong word, but they'd realistically have to lose a piece or two (through free agency or retirement) in order to be in play for LMA. Depending on who they lose, I'd say yes he's worth it.

Not if Holt is willing to pay some luxury tax.

Mr Bones
04-26-2015, 01:43 PM
I'm not a huge LMA fan-- I consider him good, but definitely not great. But there is one important thing to consider: in the next few years, the salary cap is expected to rise significantly, which means a contract considered large in 2015 might look very reasonable by 2017-18 standards. If the Spurs signed LMA and then weren't happy with him, he would be easy to trade for other pieces.

spurraider21
04-26-2015, 01:45 PM
if its for the minimum, why not?
lefty

K...
04-26-2015, 01:54 PM
if its for the minimum, why not?
lefty

Fuck I didn't add that on to the poll.

ElNono
04-26-2015, 01:59 PM
And I think a lot of people on this board are underestimating the drop-off that's going to take place once Duncan retires. It's not going to be pretty, tbh.

I think some people feel that LMA simply cannot offset that drop-off, for a number of reasons that have been discussed on the other thread.

KL2
04-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Spurs are fucked with Parker.

If you take away Green (dude is gonna get paid), that leaves Parker, the worst defender in the league, guarding the primary ball handler for 82 games. Green has been covering for him for years, and Parker still gets exposed out there. Teams will score on us at will, it's going to wear out Parker, as well as the interior defense who has to make up for Parker's defense.

Once you bypass Parker, that leaves LMA at the rim, I just see teams exposing us over and over again. You don't want Leonard exerting all his energy, or getting in foul trouble early either.

Whatever decision the Spurs make, Parker's horrible defense needs to be a deciding factor, I wish we could just get rid of him, but it's not happening.

phxspurfan
04-26-2015, 02:10 PM
no to the 7' china doll

AFBlue
04-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Spurs are fucked with Parker.

If you take away Green (dude is gonna get paid), that leaves Parker, the worst defender in the league, guarding the primary ball handler for 82 games. Green has been covering for him for years, and Parker still gets exposed out there. Teams will score on us at will, it's going to wear out Parker, as well as the interior defense who has to make up for Parker's defense.

Once you bypass Parker, that leaves LMA at the rim, I just see teams exposing us over and over again. You don't want Leonard exerting all his energy, or getting in foul trouble early either.

Whatever decision the Spurs make, Parker's horrible defense needs to be a deciding factor, I wish we could just get rid of him, but it's not happening.

Your (flawed) assumption is that the Spurs don't replace Green with another defender at that position.

ElNono
04-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Your (flawed) assumption is that the Spurs don't replace Green with another defender at that position.

That's a lot easier said that done. I rather not lose Green. IMO, he's easily one of the top 5 perimeter defenders in the league at this point.

AFBlue
04-26-2015, 02:21 PM
That's a lot easier said that done. I rather not lose Green. IMO, he's easily one of the top 5 perimeter defenders in the league at this point.

Didn't mean to imply he would be replaced with an equal substitute. Having said that, I disagree with the "top-5" label. He flashes that potential, but he's not nearly consistent enough to be in that discussion.

KL2
04-26-2015, 02:21 PM

It's going to be almost impossible finding one of Green's caliber, with his 3pt ability that means so much to the offense and spacing. You can probably find a few raw 3 and D guys out there, but nothing on the level of Verde.

Green+Leonard should be the future. As long as you keep those two guys, you automatically have a top 5 defense, that is so easy to build around. They WILL improve whoever is around them too.

If you put a bunch of athletes around Leonard and Green, they're going to turn defense into offense at will. They're going to be feeding off each other, playing some ATG team defense. I'd rather go that route, one of the best defensive squads in NBA history, rather than a purely offensive team.

RD2191
04-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Didn't mean to imply he would be replaced with an equal substitute. Having said that, I disagree with the "top-5" label. He flashes that potential, but he's not nearly consistent enough to be in that discussion.
Not sheriff serious.

AFBlue
04-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Not sheriff serious.

Yes, I am. Danny isn't a consistently great defender.

RD2191
04-26-2015, 02:27 PM
https://bigtonysfantasyleague.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/smh-bunk-from-the-wire.gif?w=320

AFBlue
04-26-2015, 02:30 PM
You can probably find a few raw 3 and D guys out there, but nothing on the level of Verde.

Please read my response to EN, don't expect it to be equal.

KL2
04-26-2015, 02:31 PM

Yes he is lol. Green and Leonard are one of the greatest defensive duos in NBA history.

Green is the number 1 shot blocking SG in the league, he alters shots just by being within the vicinity of a player. Every time he's trailing a defender he's in the back of their mind, and often alters their shot enough to make them miss w/out even doing anything. Especially in transition, he is a monster. His on the ball defense, transition defense, versatility in guarding 1-3, he is one of the best defensive SG's ever.

It's like I said, having guys like Parker and Belli drag this team down, Green would look even better on a team full of young athletic defenders. Green and Leonard cover these guys asses every night, there are a shit ton of mistakes they're making. They often get scored on simply because of their teammate's poor defense.

eDizzle20
04-26-2015, 02:32 PM
The Spurs almost certainly have to let Green go assuming Duncan and Ginobili come back. No way I would trade Splitter to get him, the interior D would be bad. I think a guy like K.J. McDaniels would be intriguing for the 2 spot.

AFBlue
04-26-2015, 02:39 PM
https://bigtonysfantasyleague.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/smh-bunk-from-the-wire.gif?w=320

Kawhi, Jimmy Butler, LeBron, Tony Allen, and Avery Bradley are for sure better and more consistent.

AFBlue
04-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Yes he is lol. Green and Leonard are one of the greatest defensive duos in NBA history.

Hyperbole at its finest.

sexinthatsx
04-26-2015, 03:10 PM
Having LMA would be huge, but honestly I'd rather have Marc Gasol

Blake
04-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Sure it does. Just think about it.

Neh, it blew. But I'll leave you to keep thinking about it.

G-Dawgg
04-26-2015, 04:56 PM
If you can add a player of his caliber you obviously jump at the opportunity. How often do you get the chance to add an all-star frontcourt player like him? ..simple no brainer...

Spur-Addict
04-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Neh, it blew. But I'll leave you to keep thinking about it.

:lol Yeah man, when I see you post that's the first thing that pops in my head. "This is the guy who got onto the internet to vent about how his wife was getting pounded by Jamal". I can't help it. It's like when you see the guy who played for Pitino, you know, the guy who broke his leg in the national championship game. The bone would be Jamal piercing through your wife's vagina.

KL2
04-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Hyperbole at its finest.

Splitter and Duncan are the only other two defenders on this team. Once you get TD out on the perimeter, he is done, he provides post defense, below the rim blocks, rebounding, help defense and that's really it. It's why guys like CP3 are going off on the Spurs, once you bypass the initial defender it's usually over, Duncan doesn't have the foot speed to keep up. Meanwhile Splitter has been at 50-70% this season and has missed a lot of games, isn't nearly as good as he was last year.

Athleticism is a defensive system on it's own, and the Spurs don't have it.

Bellinelli and Parker are two of the worst defensive players in the league yet they're on the court at the same time. Then you've got Baynes, Ayres, Bonner, Diaw, all below average defensive players, all being elevated by Green/Leonard. Mills and Cojo both gamble and foul too much and see too few mins, although they're passable defenders.

The rest of the defenders on this team aren't nearly as good as you think they are, the Spurs still have one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Blake
04-26-2015, 06:20 PM
:lol Yeah man, when I see you post that's the first thing that pops in my head. "This is the guy who got onto the internet to vent about how his wife was getting pounded by Jamal". I can't help it. It's like when you see the guy who played for Pitino, you know, the guy who broke his leg in the national championship game. The bone would be Jamal piercing through your wife's vagina.

So when you see me post, you think of Jamal having sex.

Spur-Addict
04-26-2015, 07:04 PM
So when you see me post, you think of Jamal having sex.

No, I think of you melting down over your wife having sex with another man. And if I recall, the fact that you should've seen it while it was happening because all the signs were there or something along those lines. I think of you behind a computer, emotionally distraught, shamed, thinking that this can't be life. That there has to be more, but there isn't. This. Is. It.

And a part of me feels bad even speaking like this but man, you should be on the offensive IMO. It pains me to see you like this. It's not a matter of me thinking of some guy penetrating your wife, it's the response of you to said situation. It's as if you completely broke down with a bottle in your hands, with tears hitting your keyboard. I'm not sure how old you are, but you have to rectify this, I feel like you're going to drift into old age with the stain of this lingering in your essence. That will be the moment it all went completely south and you gave up all hope. Clean yourself up, and get back out there.

dabom
04-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Nah we need tiago to stay injured for 9mil a year.

RD2191
04-26-2015, 07:12 PM
No, I think of you melting down over your wife having sex with another man. And if I recall, the fact that you should've seen it while it was happening because all the signs were there or something along those lines. I think of you behind a computer, emotionally distraught, shamed, thinking that this can't be life. That there has to be more, but there isn't. This. Is. It.

And a part of me feels bad even speaking like this but man, you should be on the offensive IMO. It pains me to see you like this. It's not a matter of me thinking of some guy penetrating your wife, it's the response of you to said situation. It's as if you completely broke down with a bottle in your hands, with tears hitting your keyboard. I'm not sure how old you are, but you have to rectify this, I feel like you're going to drift into old age with the stain of this lingering in your essence. That will be the moment it all went completely south and you gave up all hope. Clean yourself up, and get back out there.
:wow

Spur-Addict
04-26-2015, 07:51 PM
:wow

I shouldn't have said all of that, that was wrong and I'm sorry for that. And yeah I crack a joke here and there at his expense but I don't mean it. I'm sure he's a nice guy. But you can't let these hoes shit all over you, he's better than that. It would be nice a ways down the line if he's making threads about how things are going well again and his ex is trying to get back with him etc.

RD2191
04-26-2015, 07:57 PM
I shouldn't have said all of that, that was wrong and I'm sorry for that. And yeah I crack a joke here and there at his expense but I don't mean it. I'm sure he's a nice guy. But you can't let these hoes shit all over you, he's better than that. It would be nice a ways down the line if he's making threads about how things are going well again and his ex is trying to get back with him etc.
No, I agree. It was an ether. He needs to hear it.:lol

Agloco
04-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Yes, I am. Danny isn't a consistently great shooter.

Fixed

Blake
04-26-2015, 10:22 PM
No, I think of you melting down over your wife having sex with another man.

Nah, you thought of a specific dude having sex with my ex. You named him Jamal.

My guess is you imagine he's big and black, amirite?

Blake
04-26-2015, 10:27 PM

Lol the ol fake remorse post

Blake
04-26-2015, 10:28 PM
No, I agree. It was an ether. He needs to hear it.:lol

Lol rob the best example of a Christian on this board.

RD2191
04-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Lol rob the best example of a Christian on this board.
:wakeup

milkyway21
04-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Aldridge will undergo surgery on his injury in the summer. No timetable yet for his return.. Let us just bump this one in August or Sept..I will vote by then.. :spin.

Blake
04-26-2015, 10:37 PM
:wakeup

Lol rob

Southwest Texas Fan
04-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Not if Holt is willing to pay some luxury tax.

Didn't we go into the lux tax when Richard Jefferson played for the Spurs?

K...
04-26-2015, 11:31 PM
Save us LMA! Your our only hope!

So much unrelated trash in this thread. Danny green is somewhat related, but I care nothing about Blake. That little forum drama should stay in the club.

We knew LMA was going for surgery. He could have done it earlier but chose to play though it. No big deal he'll fit right in with our cast of injuries and lames.

AFBlue
04-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Fixed

He is neither a consistently great shooter nor defender. "Consistent" being the key.

Spur-Addict
04-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Lol the ol fake remorse post

I'm serious, I'm sorry. :depressed

What I did was wrong, I shouldn't have gone in the way I did. I'm embarrassed the way I communicated with you. I'm honestly sorry.

RD2191
04-27-2015, 06:16 PM
I'm serious, I'm sorry. :depressed

What I did was wrong, I shouldn't have gone in the way I did. I'm embarrassed the way I communicated with you. I'm honestly sorry.
:lol

Spur-Addict
04-27-2015, 06:18 PM
:lol

Rob, I'm serious man. Please don't do that. Please. No bullshit

RD2191
04-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Rob, I'm serious man. Please don't do that. Please. No bullshit
Dude, relax. Blake is a piece of shit. He's so fucking bitter over his wife banging another dude that he hates the world now. Have you ever tried being nice or civil with him? He won't have it. He will find a way to get offended or make it seem like you're a bad person. Just fuck that guy. Don't feel bad. The dude is a garbage human.

pgardn
04-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Off the tracks again.
Go figure.

Aldridge needs serious rehab to fit us. I think he is physically able, but mentally, after this many years of losing as the Star? It clearly can't be a Boris step up, but could we make him fit with KL somehow and get some D out of him...

Tough one.

Spur-Addict
04-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Dude, relax. Blake is a piece of shit. He's so fucking bitter over his wife banging another dude that he hates the world now. Have you ever tried being nice or civil with him? He won't have it. He will find a way to get offended or make it seem like you're a bad person. Just fuck that guy. Don't feel bad. The dude is a garbage human.

Well I can't say I really tried to have an extensive real conversation with him, but I will. I'm not going to write him off, as the primary means of conversation to this point has been me ragging on him. I'm going to change that. I wouldn't call him human garbage, that's a bit extreme. He has just been wronged by the worst sort. Let him live, let him live. It may take him a while to come around. But don't let his bullshit bias be reality, because it's not.

RD2191
04-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Well I can't say I really tried to have an extensive real conversation with him, but I will. I'm not going to write him off, as the primary means of conversation to this point has been me ragging on him. I'm going to change that. I wouldn't call him human garbage, that's a bit extreme. He has just been wronged by the worst sort. Let him live, let him live. It may take him a while to come around. But don't let his bullshit bias be reality, because it's not.
I disagree. Some people will always be bitter pieces of shit. But you do what you have to do.

Spur-Addict
04-27-2015, 06:39 PM
I disagree. Some people will always be bitter pieces of shit. But you do what you have to do.

:lol I'm not saying that's not true, but think about it. If you come to a particular place for refuge and you receive animosity, how will you react? I think his reaction is totally warranted and perhaps he lashed out in situations where he shouldn't have. But I'm willing to let him be free, and brand new, with me at least. And if we can't go on from there then so be it. He didn't know me at all and I came out of no where giving him shit just because I knew I could. How right is that?

RD2191
04-27-2015, 06:51 PM
:lol I'm not saying that's not true, but think about it. If you come to a particular place for refuge and you receive animosity, how will you react? I think his reaction is totally warranted and perhaps he lashed out in situations where he shouldn't have. But I'm willing to let him be free, and brand new, with me at least. And if we can't go on from there then so be it. He didn't know me at all and I came out of no where giving him shit just because I knew I could. How right is that?
It's okay. You know how he is. If you went after a decent poster then yeah it might be wrong. Blake isn't anywhere near a decent poster so it is what it is. I've tried being decent with the dude but he won't have it.

Spur-Addict
04-27-2015, 07:07 PM
It's okay. You know how he is. If you went after a decent poster then yeah it might be wrong. Blake isn't anywhere near a decent poster so it is what it is. I've tried being decent with the dude but he won't have it.

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree, we shall see.

cjw
04-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Manu is retiring no matter what. Duncan may come back one more year.

Sure about that? He may have incentive to play one more year to make the Rio Olympics his grand exit. Though he could play over in Italy or something instead in a shorter season.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Most of the people crying about offering the 2015 max seem intent on waving their hands at the 2015 cap circumstances and ignore that the cap is going up by 20% or more the following year.

If we give LMA and Kawhi the max and resign green will it still be above teh 2016 luxury threshold of $85m or whatever it is to be year after next?

K...
04-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Smh some people named Rob will always be immature shit heads. If Blake is a bitter demon you leave him alone. If chump is a loser leave him alone. But nope, you pop into random threads with your agenda and giggle away. Smh millennial entitlement

K...
04-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Most of the people crying about offering the 2015 max seem intent on waving their hands at the 2015 cap circumstances and ignore that the cap is going up by 20% or more the following year.

If we give LMA and Kawhi the max and resign green will it still be above teh 2016 luxury threshold of $85m or whatever it is to be year after next?

Are you sure we're hitting the luxury tax at all? The general consensus is that both kawhi and lma are worth more than the max so singing them long term is a win. I assume the rising cap is irrelevant because the spurs don't have much other options beyond k, lma, and green. Why worry about tieing up cap space for this team?

FuzzyLumpkins
04-27-2015, 11:17 PM
Are you sure we're hitting the luxury tax at all? The general consensus is that both kawhi and lma are worth more than the max so singing them long term is a win. I assume the rising cap is irrelevant because the spurs don't have much other options beyond k, lma, and green. Why worry about tieing up cap space for this team?

I'm just trying to get a comprehensive notion of the accounting.

99 Problems
04-28-2015, 02:22 AM
Yer why not. Unless we get Kaminsky & TD stays around an extra season or two on a super friendly contract.