PDA

View Full Version : This is Why no Big Name Free Agents Come Here

DMC
04-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Spurs are a model of success, and much of that is due to how the front office drafts and how the coach coaches, however there are very few "stars" who want to be micromanaged on the court. They don't want to have to look at the coach on every trip to get his commands. When your coach is jumping up and down like a goddamned idiot at a home game because you're not watching him instead of watching the game, you know there's some Napoleon syndrome going on.

Tight reins even on champion horses cause bad reactions. I sensed it after the 1st game when Manu was trying to say and not say that the fouling took them out of the game. It didn't cost the Spurs this game, but how can you judge the value of momentum and crowd participation?

Pop is a great coach, but the game isn't entertaining when you're watching him play his mind games instead of watching the team perform. He obviously thinks they don't have what it takes this year, and he's probably right, but it's a message he's sending using the wrong method. It's the Spurs vs the Clippers, not Pop vs Doc, but Pop doesn't give a shit what you think about it.

Pop removes the momentum factor from late game comebacks. I don't know if he even considers it.

TheGreatYacht
04-26-2015, 05:10 PM
I'm just here wondering when he'll tell the team to quit switching on every pick, which was for sure his idea.

What's the point of putting Green on Paul when it'll be Duncan guarding him after a screen

ThaBigFundamental21
04-26-2015, 05:21 PM
The Spurs were playing their best basketball in the 3rd qtr. Pop inexplicably went to Hack a Jordan. We had just taken the lead and were showing signs of clicking on all cylinders. I'm really disappointed in his coaching today. He refused to take Manu and Parker out. They played us out of the game. If Parker has no confidence he shouldn't play period. Sub him out when he sucks. Manu is best suited for limited minutes. Mills has played well this series. Anytime he gets going, Pop yanks him out. I hate to say it, but right now Beli should get more minutes. He has played well. Pop needs to feed the hot hand sometimes, not go with stubborn bullshit.

Btw, did this team forget Kawhi Leonard existed? I'm really surprised with the coaching and lack of execution today. I really didn't expect to see the Spurs so bad.

spurraider21
04-26-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm just here wondering when he'll tell the team to quit switching on every pick, which was for sure his idea.

What's the point of putting Green on Paul when it'll be Duncan guarding him after a screen
duncan isn't able to hedge and recover anymore. so either he has to completely sag and give up a wide open jumper, or he's going to have to switch and hope they can bring a double team and rotate

RD2191
04-26-2015, 05:37 PM
I agree. Pop needs to get over himself.

TheGreatYacht
04-26-2015, 05:43 PM
duncan isn't able to hedge and recover anymore. so either he has to completely sag and give up a wide open jumper, or he's going to have to switch and hope they can bring a double team and rotate
I don't disagree with him pulling that strategy out with Duncan but Pop is doing it with every player. For example, that play where Kawhi was assigned on Paul, Barnes set a weak screen for Paul at the top of the arc resulting in Kawhi switching for no reason.

Doc figured him out after Game 2, and exposed him tonight with Paul getting every shot he wanted

wildchild
04-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Btw, did this team forget Kawhi Leonard existed? I'm really surprised with the coaching and lack of execution today. I really didn't expect to see the Spurs so bad.

I didn't expect this team can't see the massive Leonard-Rivers mismatch in the 3rd quarter and pass Kawhi the ball only one time in 4 minutes, tbh.

DMC
04-26-2015, 06:10 PM
The Spurs were playing their best basketball in the 3rd qtr. Pop inexplicably went to Hack a Jordan. We had just taken the lead and were showing signs of clicking on all cylinders. I'm really disappointed in his coaching today. He refused to take Manu and Parker out. They played us out of the game. If Parker has no confidence he shouldn't play period. Sub him out when he sucks. Manu is best suited for limited minutes. Mills has played well this series. Anytime he gets going, Pop yanks him out. I hate to say it, but right now Beli should get more minutes. He has played well. Pop needs to feed the hot hand sometimes, not go with stubborn bullshit.

I agree with this on a "needs to" basis if "needs to" refers to "in order to win THIS game". I think Pop coaches for long hauls, and is at least as concerned about his players' mental status as the game itself. Pop doesn't even really like basketball, but he does like he star players and he'll ride with them live or die, and that is a plus where attracting names is concerned, however when the star has to sacrifice his game so Pop can keep his fingerprint on it, though it might lead to team success it's not attractive to big names. You just have to decide if you want a big name or if you want to have a shot at a ring each year.

Btw, Spurs were never a good Sunday nooner type team.

kaji157
04-26-2015, 06:21 PM

Agreed

Blake
04-26-2015, 06:27 PM
What big name did the Spurs ever miss out on that they could afford?

Blake
04-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Does Dick Jefferson not count?

Malik Hairston
04-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Good post, OP..