PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard is shooting 60% in the series..averaging 25ppg.

apalisoc_9
04-26-2015, 06:34 PM
:wow

Damn as a 2nd option to the tony and TD two man game, that's impressive..

Impressive 2nd option, IMO...

RD2191
04-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Give the dude the max already.

dabom
04-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Might as well let your superstar shoot the ball more when your fucking role players ain't doing shit.

100%duncan
04-26-2015, 06:36 PM
:worthy:

Aztecfan03
04-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Did HH accidentally message both you and fkla to start this thread?

loveforthegame
04-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Legacy in question.

dabom
04-26-2015, 11:02 PM
Kawhi is easily averaging 25 when the whole other fucking team is game planning against this guy. All he needed were touches and slight boost to minutes.
I could see 30ppg in the RS.

K...
04-26-2015, 11:20 PM
I think he's still two years away from true greatness. He needs to pay a full game, and he needs to start making his teammates open shots. Everything is there for him now except the personnel and scheme.

cd021
04-27-2015, 03:23 AM
I think he's still two years away from true greatness. He needs to pay a full game, and he needs to start making his teammates open shots. Everything is there for him now except the personnel and scheme.

He's improved as a play maker. He had to 2 nice plays that got Duncan layups. He drew the defenses attention and make the correct pass to Duncan.

cd021
04-27-2015, 03:28 AM
Kawhi is easily averaging 25 when the whole other fucking team is game planning against this guy. All he needed were touches and slight boost to minutes.
I could see 30ppg in the RS.

:wow:lol

This guy posting 300 ppg.

But seriously I expect him to post something like 19ppg, 7.7 rpg, 2.4 SPG, 3 APG, & 1 BPG next season without Duncan.

I think he maxes out around 23.5 per game which is top 10 scoring.

dabom
04-27-2015, 03:38 AM
:wow:lol

This guy posting 300 ppg.

But seriously I expect him to post something like 19ppg, 7.7 rpg, 2.4 SPG, 3 APG, & 1 BPG next season without Duncan.

I think he maxes out around 23.5 per game which is top 10 scoring.

Mini jordan out there. No one thought kawhi could even shoot out of college.

Cklbmk
04-27-2015, 04:03 AM
I was really getting pissed with Tony in the 2nd half. Kawhi should have been the one taking all the shots.

Fuck it let Kawhi shoot 40 times a game.

loveforthegame
04-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Who would have thought he'd be shooting the 3 ball so well after an off season? :tu

DarrinS
04-27-2015, 09:34 AM
He needs some help from his teammates.

cd021
04-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Who would have thought he'd be shooting the 3 ball so well after an off season? :tu

I was skeptical. Dude nailing 3's when it matters :tu

apalisoc_9
04-27-2015, 09:54 PM

What do you mean? Kawhi has always been great three point shooter...

In the playoffs, at least..:lol

loveforthegame
04-27-2015, 10:01 PM
What do you mean? Kawhi has always been great three point shooter...

In the playoffs, at least..:lol

He really does elevate everything in the playoffs. :tu

I should be ashamed for being concerned whether he could get that % up this time.

Man is leaving it all on the floor. Too bad so many if his teammates can't say the same.

itzsoweezee
04-27-2015, 10:09 PM
His true shooting percentage is the highest among all players in the playoffs (among those who play at least 32 min/game). The Spurs offense should be going through him every time down the floor. In game 4, there were numerous times in the 3rd and 4th quarter where he didn't even touch the ball. I don't know what the hell Popovich is thinking.

Malik Hairston
04-27-2015, 10:14 PM
His true shooting percentage is the highest among all players in the playoffs (among those who play at least 32 min/game). The Spurs offense should be going through him every time down the floor. In game 4, there were numerous times in the 3rd and 4th quarter where he didn't even touch the ball. I don't know what the hell Popovich is thinking.

It was even more puzzling, because he was making great passes, too, as somebody said earlier in this thread..he wasn't being a black hole..

At this point, he's probably the 2nd best playmaker on the team after Ginobili(when he's in the right mindset, of course:lol), they need to let him create more on the block and on the drive from the wing..

spurraider21
04-27-2015, 10:17 PM
diaw

Malik Hairston
04-27-2015, 10:18 PM
diaw

True, forgot about him..

RD2191
04-27-2015, 10:22 PM
True, forgot about him..
Son of a bitch. I can't help but laugh every time I see your avatar.:lmao

100%duncan
04-27-2015, 10:23 PM
He needs some help from his teammates.

TheGoldStandard
04-27-2015, 10:51 PM
It's not Kawhi's nature but imagine if he goes into the offseason and lays the cards out on the table to RC, "Look I'll sign whatever you put in front of me on one condition, the offense goes through me"

dabom
04-27-2015, 10:55 PM
It's not Kawhi's nature but imagine if he goes into the offseason and lays the cards out on the table to RC, "Look I'll sign whatever you put in front of me on one condition, the offense goes through me"

Yeah I don't see that happening. The spurs will play him more minutes though just because he is getting paid the most out of everyone. It would also be natural for the team to run through him. Its amazing what he does knowing full well they are playing 4 on 5 every game.

TheGoldStandard
04-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Yeah I don't see that happening. The spurs will play him more minutes though just because he is getting paid the most out of everyone. It would also be natural for the team to run through him. Its amazing what he does knowing full well they are playing 4 on 5 every game.

I just wonder what kind of pressure that would put on Pop to break TPs heart and the front office because if the offense is going through Kawhi then Tony really doesn't have a place on the floor unless its off the bench.

dabom
04-27-2015, 11:08 PM
I just wonder what kind of pressure that would put on Pop to break TPs heart and the front office because if the offense is going through Kawhi then Tony really doesn't have a place on the floor unless its off the bench.

I think everyone in San Antonio knows including tony. All his teammates know. Everyone talks and reads. They can see how bad tony leading would be. The spurs aren't there to keep players egos intact. The spurs are about evolution. Stagnation is a disease.
Fail to evolve and you go extinct.

Brazil
04-28-2015, 09:11 AM
:lol second option

cd98
04-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Need a huge game from him tonight. He has to be dominating.

Seventyniner
04-28-2015, 10:05 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2015.html

Scroll down to Playoffs Advanced and sort by USG%, the percentage of possessions a player uses when he's on the court. You'll see this:

http://i62.tinypic.com/nn7g21.png

Kawhi is the first option and the numbers prove it.

Seventyniner
04-28-2015, 10:14 AM
In contrast, here are the regular season USG% numbers.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2044rc.png
For USG%, the differentials between postseason and regular season for rotation players is:

Mills +3.1%
Leonard +3.0%
Belinelli +1.7%
Duncan -1.5%
Ginobili -2.2%
Green -2.4%
Parker -3.5%
Splitter -4.0%

loveforthegame
04-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Good to see Leonard's usage up and making the most of it. His numbers back up the bump.

Too bad not enough of the others are doing the same.

Seventyniner
04-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Good to see Leonard's usage up and making the most of it. His numbers back up the bump.

Too bad not enough of the others are doing the same.

It also means that OP is full of shit. Kawhi is the #1 option right now and Parker is using fewer possessions than in the regular season, meaning he is passing more. 3.5% is a big drop. Splitter's drastically lower usage also reflects his non-involvement in the offense.

loveforthegame
04-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Leonard's usage may be up but I wouldn't consider him the number one option either. There's still too many long stretches where he doesn't even touch the ball. He's certainly up there in the pecking order but I think he could be used even more.

If Parker and Splitter could be a quarter as effective as Leonard has been they'd probably see a bump in usage too. One is settling for an alarming amount of jumpers and the other is getting stuffed or throwing up more embarrassing garbage than usual.

Green isn't helping himself either.

Seventyniner
04-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Leonard's usage may be up but I wouldn't consider him the number one option either. There's still too many long stretches where he doesn't even touch the ball. He's certainly up there in the pecking order but I think he could be used even more.

If Parker and Splitter could be a quarter as effective as Leonard has been they'd probably see a bump in usage too. One is settling for an alarming amount of jumpers and the other is getting stuffed or throwing up more embarrassing garbage than usual.

Green isn't helping himself either.

Parker handles the ball much more than Leonard, sure. That's the role of a PG in just about any offense. Also, either Kawhi isn't enough of a playmaker to trust handling the ball on most possessions, or Pop just doesn't trust him enough yet. You're right that 26.0% USG isn't all that high. True possession hogs like Westbrook and Kobe are in the mid to high 30s. There's always the question of how much offensive load you want your best defensive player to shoulder. It's tricky, and Parker's huge decline has made the answer much less clear.

Parker is likely taking more jumpers because he's hurt. It really hurts the team because he's not getting the respect in the paint to cause mismatches and scrambles elsewhere. Splitter seems to be very afraid of getting his shot blocked, even sometimes with Jordan on the bench.

FkLA
04-28-2015, 12:19 PM
It also means that OP is full of shit. Kawhi is the #1 option right now and Parker is using fewer possessions than in the regular season, meaning he is passing more. 3.5% is a big drop. Splitter's drastically lower usage also reflects his non-involvement in the offense.

lol passing more

You mean with his pathetic 2 apg average? He's not passing more he's just been relegated to play off the ball a little more since he's been playing like shit.

BTW would you kind enough to post the usage formula? Pretty sure dribble dribble dribbles or two man games aren't taken into account. Basically Enrique can dribble around for 20 seconds, which isn't that uncommon, and dump it off to TD last second for a missed, low percentage shot and it doesn't increase his usage rate.

loveforthegame
04-28-2015, 01:39 PM
#1 option to me is when the ball runs through you primarily. Like the years of Duncan 4 down. He either abused his man or found the open cutter/shooter when he drew double and triple teams.

The torch was then passed to Parker when he attacked nearly every time. He either had his way or kicked out to the open shooter.

#1 option is also when they look to you to get a must basket. Maybe when the offense has stalled or game winner type situations.

The torch is now slowly being passed to Leonard. But I would not consider his new role in the same fashion as the two above. Yet. Why that is is certainly up for discussion.

So while I'm thrilled Leonard's usage rate is up, I do not consider him the #1 option. My interpretation of that could be different from how others view what a #1 option is though.

in2deep
04-28-2015, 02:00 PM
good for him. one of our few bright spots in the tired roster

cd98
04-28-2015, 02:18 PM
lol passing more

You mean with his pathetic 2 apg average? He's not passing more he's just been relegated to play off the ball a little more since he's been playing like shit.

BTW would you kind enough to post the usage formula? Pretty sure dribble dribble dribbles or two man games aren't taken into account. Basically Enrique can dribble around for 20 seconds, which isn't that uncommon, and dump it off to TD last second for a missed, low percentage shot and it doesn't increase his usage rate.

Passing more doesn't always equal assists. Parker has never been a shot creator other than to drive and kick. And right now, he can drive and kick all he wants, but if his shooters don't make threes, then he won't get assists.

therealtruth
04-28-2015, 07:13 PM
We've got a mismatch at that spot and we need to expose it.