PDA

View Full Version : Schillings care for family from New Orleans

ducks
09-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Schillings care for family from New Orleans
September 6, 2005

BOSTON (AP) -- Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling and wife Shonda paid to fly a New Orleans family of nine to Boston and pledged to provide them with housing for a year.

The Fields family, with seven children between the ages of 5 and 12, fled New Orleans just before Hurricane Katrina struck. They spent the past week at an Atlanta hotel with the help of a charitable organization.

``When we realized how many people had nowhere to go, we didn't just want to make a donation,'' Shonda Schilling told The Boston Globe. ``We decided we wanted to bring an entire family here and put them up.''

ADVERTISEMENT
The families connected through a Web site, openyourhome.com, which matches displaced families with people willing to house them. The Schillings registered Friday and on Saturday anonymously arranged for the family to fly to Boston.

``He said, 'I would like to help you,''' Efrem Fields, 31, told The Globe in a phone interview from his hotel. ``He didn't say who he was.''

Fields and his wife, Shelita, 28, and their kids met the Schillings at the hotel. Fields said his new friend looked familiar.

``I said 'Wait a second, I know this guy,''' said Fields, a baseball fan. ``Schilling ... Schilling, there's only one Schilling I know, and he's a baseball player. It blew my mind.''

Marklar MM
09-06-2005, 08:32 PM
He better not talk smack about Schilling's game. Hehe.

atlfan25
09-06-2005, 09:07 PM
wait.. he only helped ONE family?????????????????

atlfan25
09-06-2005, 09:07 PM
wait.. he only helped ONE family?????????????????
-buttons

atlfan25
09-06-2005, 09:09 PM
that is great of schilling to do that, good man

timvp
09-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Raffy says he'll give free steroids for a year.

Props.

:tu

Jimcs50
09-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Maybe this will inspire Curt to pitch better...he blows this year.

Props to Curt and his wife.