PDA

View Full Version : Poker is my nemesis

Spurminator
09-06-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm addicted, and I'm not even very good. Which is a problem.

I play in the fake money games sometimes, but people play so recklessly that it doesn't really prepare you for real money games. So I put in a few bucks and, without fail, typically place 4th or 5th in a game where the top 3 pay out.

:pctoss

duncan_21
09-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm addicted, and I'm not even very good. Which is a problem.

I play in the fake money games sometimes, but people play so recklessly that it doesn't really prepare you for real money games. So I put in a few bucks and, without fail, typically place 4th or 5th in a game where the top 3 pay out.

:pctoss

Where do you play for money? At home with friends or online? And which online site if you do it online. I've done pretty good playing with some friends for a few bucks.

Spurminator
09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
I play some with friends... That's where I make some of my money back from online.

I play at www.holdempoker.com, which is one of the only ones I've found that's Mac-friendly. Typically play Tournaments.

Guru of Nothing
09-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Is this an online thing? I ask, because without bringing your poker face, is it REALLY poker?

And I just don't get this Texas Hold'em. No appeal whatsover. I like 7-card stud.

scott
09-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Try cash games, Spurm. For "a few bucks", tournaments will offer the same wacky play that free poker will - at least that is how it seems to me.

ShoogarBear
09-06-2005, 10:26 PM
You should come to a GTG when I'm in town, so I can get some of my money back.

MannyIsGod
09-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Funny you should post a topic about this. A few friends of mine kept telling me that they were cleaning house online due to the poor level of play by most people. I decided to drop 20 bucks last week at PokerRoom.com because it was the only place that would take a deposit less than 50 bucks.

Got setup, played a few cash hands and turned my 20 into 40. Decided to make sure I did no worse than even, and cashed out 20 bucks. Proceeded to turn that 20 into 35 bucks, at which point I cashed out 25. Once again turned that 10 into 35, and repeated the procedure.

The gambling finally caught up to me and I lost the 10 bucks with a couple of unlucky rivers.

Well, come to find out this morning that they had given me 2 'tickets' to enter cash tournaments for free. Joined the first one and finished 25 out of 240 players and won 20 bucks. 20 bucks for free? I'm down.

Played a tournament this afternoon with a 2 dollar buy in, and fished 44 out of 976, earning another 20 dollar payout. I fucked up though, I was in the top 5 with money and started playing really fucking wreckless and ended up losing it so fast it hurt.

I cashed out 35 so I now have about 5 bucks online.

I have one more ticket for a 2 dollar tournament that starts in about an hour so hopefully I can turn that into something more to continue building on.

I'm not a big gambler, mainly because I'm too damn poor to risk larger amounts of money, but it has proven very entertaining so far and quite profitable.

jcrod
09-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Funny you should post a topic about this. A few friends of mine kept telling me that they were cleaning house online due to the poor level of play by most people. I decided to drop 20 bucks last week at PokerRoom.com because it was the only place that would take a deposit less than 50 bucks.

Got setup, played a few cash hands and turned my 20 into 40. Decided to make sure I did no worse than even, and cashed out 20 bucks. Proceeded to turn that 20 into 35 bucks, at which point I cashed out 25. Once again turned that 10 into 35, and repeated the procedure.

The gambling finally caught up to me and I lost the 10 bucks with a couple of unlucky rivers.

Well, come to find out this morning that they had given me 2 'tickets' to enter cash tournaments for free. Joined the first one and finished 25 out of 240 players and won 20 bucks. 20 bucks for free? I'm down.

Played a tournament this afternoon with a 2 dollar buy in, and fished 44 out of 976, earning another 20 dollar payout. I fucked up though, I was in the top 5 with money and started playing really fucking wreckless and ended up losing it so fast it hurt.

I cashed out 35 so I now have about 5 bucks online.

I have one more ticket for a 2 dollar tournament that starts in about an hour so hopefully I can turn that into something more to continue building on.

I'm not a big gambler, mainly because I'm too damn poor to risk larger amounts of money, but it has proven very entertaining so far and quite profitable.

Manny,
How did you deposit money into that site, Netteller? I also wanted to try it, but didn't want to put $50. You only have to put 10 here, but not sure how to work it. Is there any charges to deposit and cashout?

MannyIsGod
09-07-2005, 02:22 PM
I settup a netteller account to withdraw and deposit into my Frost account. It works fairly easily. I had to call them the first time, but I haven't had any fees from either site.

Netteller seems to be very much like Paypal.

jcrod
09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Cool thanks. Why did you have to call?

MannyIsGod
09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
They wanted to confirm my bank info to prevent fraud. (or so I assume) They had me confirm my info.

Jimcs50
09-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I play live games once or twice a month, but I play at Party Poker.com a few times a week. I do not play in tournaments, just $2-$4 games.

It is addicting, I watch it on ESPN also.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2005, 12:50 AM
I've tried out a couple of other sites since that post.

I first tried Pacific Poker because I was told the players there were very "soft". Well, they are but this tends to be more frustrating than profitable for me because of the bad beats. I'm got tired very quickly of losing on rivers to lower hands. Their software was also crap.

This evening I tried Noble Poker for the first time and I was pretty happy. The level of play isn't very good and I was able to clean up at a couple of tables which was good because I had gotten my ass kicked earlier in the night.

Overall playing online isn't turning out as profitable as it once was - I'm mainly breaking even. But it is very fun and entertaining, so it is all good.

Kdfelicity
10-06-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm utterly addicted as well. But I only play live, online is so impersonal...

kris
10-06-2005, 03:33 AM
You may not be good at poker, but you have one sweet icon.

scott
10-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Manny, you never came to any of my games... you fucker

MannyIsGod
10-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Dude, I was super poor then and I sucked. You were rolling with the high stakes. I was actually going to ask you if you ever did that anymore. I'd be down for some of the higher stakes games now that I'm more comfortable with the game.

scott
10-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Nah, I cut it out a while ago and don't have my client base anymore. It was good while it lasted though.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-06-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm doing pretty well on pacific and if anyone is interested in joining, if someone refers you, you will get a 25$ bonus, and the person who refers you will get a 50$ bonus

MannyIsGod
10-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Screw Pacific and those bitches hell bent on calling on BS!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Screw Pacific and those bitches hell bent on calling on BS!

Try pokerstars... its 10x worse than that. But I like pacific.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-07-2005, 12:32 AM
http://bonuswhores.com/ If you have alot of free time and patience, and can play break even poker

MannyIsGod
10-07-2005, 12:35 AM
I actually heard the competition was really good at PokerStars. I haven't ventured over there. Actually, I feel the majority fo the places I play at will be full of people who call on bullshit and get lucky every once in a while because I tend to play the lower table amounts. I'm going to have to move up to cash in.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Manny, what do you play? Limit or No Limit?? and what stakes?

MannyIsGod
10-07-2005, 10:05 AM
No Limit usually. I'll play Pot Limit occasional, but never just Hold Em. I can't bet for shit with the structure of those games.

I usually play at .25-50 tables or .50 - 1 tables. But If I look and I see a high flop percentage on a table close to that but higher, I'll try it out for abit.

2pac
10-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Pokerroom.com is mac friendly. I have won a good bit of money on there. Play the $5 SnG to practice for tournaments. Tourneys are where you make money. SnGs really teach you how to change gears well, which is the most important skill to learn in online poker.

MannyIsGod
10-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I like the poker room as well. It is good shit. The 5 dollar Sits are good friends of mine there. Actually, their scheduled tournaments are good as well.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Pokerroom.com is mac friendly. I have won a good bit of money on there. Play the $5 SnG to practice for tournaments. Tourneys are where you make money. SnGs really teach you how to change gears well, which is the most important skill to learn in online poker.

Have you won any big tourneys??

I've won a bunch of sit n go's but havent really tried too many satellites

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-07-2005, 05:21 PM
I win most my money playing limit 2/4

MannyIsGod
10-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I won 35 bucks in a satelite, but thats the best I've done. I've also gotten 20 bucks for finishing in the top 40 in a few. They are pretty fun, but they take so damn long.

Jimcs50
10-08-2005, 12:07 AM
I lose in internet poker every time.

Give me a live game any day.

Kdfelicity
10-08-2005, 12:39 AM
We've got poker immediately following the UT-OU game....

scott
10-08-2005, 01:32 AM
If enough people are interested, I'd be willing to fire my $100 buy in NL game for a sort of GTG.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-09-2005, 09:59 PM
If enough people are interested, I'd be willing to fire my $100 buy in NL game for a sort of GTG.

I'd be down for a 50$ buy in

MannyIsGod
10-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Hey Kurt, I've been playing some limit tables and I have to say I dig it. You pretty much can't go wrong as long as you play good hands and not shit hands.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Kurt, I've been playing some limit tables and I have to say I dig it. You pretty much can't go wrong as long as you play good hands and not shit hands.

Yea, I like limit alot better, you can't lose your whole bankroll on 1 bad beat, when you play limit. I prefer 6 handed or less.

I also have a program called pokertracker, it cost 55 bucks, and it keeps a database on players for you, gives you notes on players. Its worth it if you are serious about online poker.

MannyIsGod
10-09-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm using Checkyourbets.com right now to keep track of how I'm doing. But yeah, the bad beats are enough reason to play limit. It is all I've played this weekend and I've done pretty well.

I lost pocket aces to a straight on the river earlier tonight. The opposing player had 5-4 and played with it through my raises and reraise over and over again, and hit the 7 he needed for the straight on the river. I couldn't believe it man. I had to step away from the computer for a second after that shit.

I juse keep notes on the software. PokerRoom and Noble both have places for notes on a player. I don't know if Pacific did though.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-09-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm using Checkyourbets.com right now to keep track of how I'm doing. But yeah, the bad beats are enough reason to play limit. It is all I've played this weekend and I've done pretty well.

I lost pocket aces to a straight on the river earlier tonight. The opposing player had 5-4 and played with it through my raises and reraise over and over again, and hit the 7 he needed for the straight on the river. I couldn't believe it man. I had to step away from the computer for a second after that shit.

I juse keep notes on the software. PokerRoom and Noble both have places for notes on a player. I don't know if Pacific did though.

Pacific does, but its difficult to find if you don't know what you are looking for. The one negative of limit is more people will hang around with draws, So sometimes it seems like you get drawn out on everyhand.

Manny have you read any poker books?

MannyIsGod
10-09-2005, 11:14 PM
No, but I did a lot of reading through this site

Pokertips.org

It has to be by far the best I've found on the net.

scott
10-09-2005, 11:25 PM
I'd be down for a 50$ buy in

I've got a table built for up to 12... if we can find some other FSPer's maybe we can make something happen.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-09-2005, 11:30 PM
I've got a table built for up to 12... if we can find some other FSPer's maybe we can make something happen.

Sweet, all the people I usually play live with go to school out of town, so i've been itching for a live game.

MannyIsGod
10-09-2005, 11:40 PM
I'd be down.

scott
10-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Manny, you have to save money to buy my laptop. :)

But really... I know we kind of tried this thing before (a poker GTG) but we should really give it a try. My place isn't big, but it has hosted its fair share of poker games (one that had up to $7k in play at one time - thankfully I had some of my more muscular friends handling the cash that night! That was a nervous night of dealing for me). I'd be more than willing to offer it up.

Maybe a Poker GTG sign-up thread is in order?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Manny, you have to save money to buy my laptop. :)

But really... I know we kind of tried this thing before (a poker GTG) but we should really give it a try. My place isn't big, but it has hosted its fair share of poker games (one that had up to $7k in play at one time - thankfully I had some of my more muscular friends handling the cash that night! That was a nervous night of dealing for me). I'd be more than willing to offer it up.

Maybe a Poker GTG sign-up thread is in order?

Damn $7K, how many people you have?

scott
10-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Damn $7K, how many people you have?

That was actually only 4 guys when there was $7k on the table... I used to host some pretty big games (not play in, but host)

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
10-10-2005, 05:59 PM
That was actually only 4 guys when there was $7k on the table... I used to host some pretty big games (not play in, but host)

Did the winner tip you?

Jimcs50
10-10-2005, 06:01 PM

I'm all in!!!

Let me know when you have a game on a weekend and perhaps I can make it down to SA.

scott
10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Did the winner tip you?

I capped the house cut on that game at $5/hand, and those winning big hands were very generous. I think I made about $800 that night.

scott
10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm all in!!!

Let me know when you have a game on a weekend and perhaps I can make it down to SA.

It's official... time to start a thread!

MannyIsGod
10-15-2005, 04:58 AM
Yea, I like limit alot better, you can't lose your whole bankroll on 1 bad beat, when you play limit. I prefer 6 handed or less.

I also have a program called pokertracker, it cost 55 bucks, and it keeps a database on players for you, gives you notes on players. Its worth it if you are serious about online poker.
I downloaded handgrabber tonight. I'm looking forward to the hand histories it is going to generate.

MannyIsGod
10-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Man, big thanks to Kurt for getting me back to Pacific and playing some limit there. I'm doing pretty damn well.

Arragontigo
10-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Shit next weekend im all game for setting up a poker game at my place.....yall people let me know