PDA

View Full Version : Clippers' moving screens..

Malik Hairston
04-29-2015, 02:29 AM
Looks like the fucking Garnett/Perkins Celtics out there on every possession, tbh..

Seemed like a lot of Spurs players were complaining about them, too..I remember Green(after Baynes fouled out, which was immediately after Green was hit with a moving screen with no whistle) and Manu, in particular..

Fireball
04-29-2015, 02:31 AM
the one where Green got sandwiched between Griffin and Jordan ...whew ... these refs were awful all night (for both teams)

downunder
04-29-2015, 06:31 AM
As a person who played basketball nearly 60 years ago , yes before 3 point shots, free throws thrown underarm, and yes tiny basketball shorts, I can state the most policed rule was the moving screen. Now everyone moves because refs let it go. The bigs with wide stances moving across on the screen to prevent the guard staying with his designated opponent favour the attack too much and prevent the running game. Time NBA stepped in to change interpretation of the rule back to its former meaning. Blocker must stand still after setting the screen.

mercos
04-29-2015, 07:55 AM
And despite getting away with murder, Doc has the nerve to complain about the refs after the game...

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-29-2015, 12:35 PM
They alway move. Those guys alway move their shoulder into the defender. They do it at least 50% of the time. If the refs called them on it, Jordan and Blake would foul out by the 3rd quarter of every game.

crc21209
04-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Been saying it all series. Must be a damn Doc Rivers coaching tactic..

benstanfield
04-29-2015, 02:05 PM
Meh. The Spurs have been playing Clippers ball screens retardedly with no adjustments at all. Every time they run the double screen for CP3 the guard goes over it and both bigs come too far out on Griffin and Jordan, end up having to switch on to Paul, and we get dunked on easily. They're running the elevator 40 feet from the basket and Tim is above the FT line on Jordan while Kawhi is fighting the screen and not going under... they killed us with this and no adjustment whatsoever in the two games they've been doing it...

https://vine.co/v/e7uObmn1LgY

Gagnrath
04-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Tim Duncan and Aron Baynes set lots of moving screens as well, can only have it one way.

Malik Hairston
04-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Meh. The Spurs have been playing Clippers ball screens retardedly with no adjustments at all. Every time they run the double screen for CP3 the guard goes over it and both bigs come too far out on Griffin and Jordan, end up having to switch on to Paul, and we get dunked on easily. They're running the elevator 40 feet from the basket and Tim is above the FT line on Jordan while Kawhi is fighting the screen and not going under... they killed us with this and no adjustment whatsoever in the two games they've been doing it...

https://vine.co/v/e7uObmn1LgY

Zach Lowe mentioned that in his latest column, that the Spurs bigs are having a lot of trouble playing vs. the double screens on Paul..

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Zach Lowe mentioned that in his latest column, that the Spurs bigs are having a lot of trouble playing vs. the double screens on Paul..

Bad part is that if we get passed the Clips, we play another team that spams the damn double screen in Houston.

Malik Hairston
04-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Bad part is that if we get passed the Clips, we play another team that spams the damn double screen in Houston.

Rockets are easier to cover, though..unlike the Clippers, you don't have to respect Josh Smith's jump shot and you could live with Terrence Jones shooting..

Griffin has destroyed the Spurs from mid-range and out, and the pick&roll with the Griffin-Jordan high-low has killed the Spurs, too..

benstanfield
04-29-2015, 02:14 PM

Really only Boris needs to be above the FT line to contest a pullup midrange. Kawhi can switch on to Blake just fine and there is no reason Tim shouldn't be planted in the lane. Putting Boris against CP3 in a foot race with no one behind him is a recipe for disaster, and all we're taking away by doing it is midrange jumpers from CP3 and Griffin

#2!
04-29-2015, 04:53 PM
Rockets are easier to cover, though..unlike the Clippers, you don't have to respect Josh Smith's jump shot and you could live with Terrence Jones shooting..

Griffin has destroyed the Spurs from mid-range and out, and the pick&roll with the Griffin-Jordan high-low has killed the Spurs, too..

Idk if you watched any of the Hou-Dal series, but Josh Smith has been hitting his threes, and setting up Dwight for dunks left & right. If anything they've been doing better than the Clips bigs in those areas.

Malik Hairston
04-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Idk if you watched any of the Hou-Dal series, but Josh Smith has been hitting his threes, and setting up Dwight for dunks left & right. If anything they've been doing better than the Clips bigs in those areas.

I've watched Josh Smith his entire career:lol..making his jump shots is more of an anomaly than anything, there's no reason to think he can do it consistently, we have never seen it..

The Clippers are doing this against the 2nd ranked Spurs' defense that typically struggles against stretch bigs like Griffin..Smith and Howard look good against a Mavs team that doesn't play defense, and arguably the worst defensive big in the NBA(Dirk)..

#2!
04-29-2015, 05:06 PM
I've watched Josh Smith his entire career:lol..making his jump shots is more of an anomaly than anything, there's no reason to think he can do it consistently, we have never seen it..

The Clippers are doing this against the 2nd ranked Spurs' defense that typically struggles against stretch bigs like Griffin..Smith and Howard look good against a Mavs team that doesn't play defense, and arguably the worst defensive big in the NBA(Dirk)..

Both fair points. Dirk looked terrible during that series, and has never been a good defender. Tim looks great, but if Tiago doesn't heal up (with how bad he's been I just assume his calf is still bothering him) they can cause problems for us. Idk if the Spurs should use the 2013 Finals strategy of just hanging off of Smith as far as possible, or hope he's so addicted to shooting he'll shoot even when he's crowded.

However, the spurs don't do well against lobs with the high/low. Whether it's Diaw or current form Splitter, Duncan has to slide over to help, which is exactly what opens that alley-oop up.

Malik Hairston
04-29-2015, 05:10 PM
Oh, I definitely agree that Houston can give the Spurs problems, but I'm not really concerned about Smith/Jones off the screens, etc..

They don't have a Griffin, but Harden > Paul and Dwight >>> Jordan, and their bench is significantly better than the Clippers', of course..

james evans
04-30-2015, 12:26 AM
As a person who played basketball nearly 60 years ago , yes before 3 point shots, free throws thrown underarm, and yes tiny basketball shorts, I can state the most policed rule was the moving screen. Now everyone moves because refs let it go. The bigs with wide stances moving across on the screen to prevent the guard staying with his designated opponent favour the attack too much and prevent the running game. Time NBA stepped in to change interpretation of the rule back to its former meaning. Blocker must stand still after setting the screen.
Moving screens an palming the ball irritates me because guys like Durant, Crawford, and harden are allowed to palm the ball all game. It is IMPOSSIBLE to guard a player when they are palming the ball and getting away with it

Yuixafun
04-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Dwight and Josh are mentally weak players, take them to the free frow line and strip them of their brovado and watch them disintegrate in the othere aspects of their game.

Baynes gains some redemption this series, because unlike the Clips, Howard is more goofball than ganster, and that's a battle Baynes can hold his own.

It would be cool if our team had Ariza and Brewer though.... They would be perfect reserves for us.

Richie
04-30-2015, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure if I've seen Duncan set a legal screen in the last 5 years, he's just as bad as Perkins/Garnett.

DarrinS
04-30-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure if I've seen Duncan set a legal screen in the last 5 years, he's just as bad as Perkins/Garnett.

What?

04-30-2015, 07:33 PM

exstatic
04-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Dribble pitch isn't really a screen, it's a pass from one player to another in close quarters. If you were at the top of the circle making a pass to the corner, would you expect to get a foul called because you bumped another player incidentally while passing and cutting?

mkurts
04-30-2015, 07:45 PM

:lmao

tmtcsc
04-30-2015, 07:52 PM
Both fair points. Dirk looked terrible during that series, and has never been a good defender. Tim looks great, but if Tiago doesn't heal up (with how bad he's been I just assume his calf is still bothering him) they can cause problems for us. Idk if the Spurs should use the 2013 Finals strategy of just hanging off of Smith as far as possible, or hope he's so addicted to shooting he'll shoot even when he's crowded.

However, the spurs don't do well against lobs with the high/low. Whether it's Diaw or current form Splitter, Duncan has to slide over to help, which is exactly what opens that alley-oop up.

I thought Tyson Chandler looked awful against Houston. Man, Dallas was just bad. I'm not so sure having such an easy 1st rd. match up was a good thing for Houston. They will be in for a rude awakening in the second round. But, its Houston so...fuck 'em. I HATE HARDEN.. #Hatehard

Seventyniner
04-30-2015, 08:13 PM

I'm too much of a homer to just outright agree with this, but I definitely can't just dismiss it.

If the refs aren't ever going to call it, you have to do it to stay competitive. It's like holding on the offensive line in football. It happens on nearly every play but has to be blatant, or directly affect the course of the play, to be called.

Malik Hairston
04-30-2015, 11:15 PM
:lmao those moving screens in the last 3-4 minutes of the game, though..

MI21
04-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Blake Griffin has been moving this entire game, every screen, every single time.

MI21
04-30-2015, 11:16 PM
:lmao those moving screens in the last 3-4 minutes of the game, though..

After watching that one just then, it prompted me to search for this thread... disgusting.

UZER
04-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Blake Griffin has been moving this entire game, every screen, every single time.

:lol he's on offensive lineman out there

MI21
04-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Pop wouldn't, but I would absolutely make a point of it during the post-game press conference.

Malik Hairston
04-30-2015, 11:18 PM
That Griffin screen on Parker on Crawford's shot:lol..

MI21
04-30-2015, 11:19 PM
That Griffin screen on Parker on Crawford's shot:lol..

That was the one that did me in... Pop should complain, he won't though.

heyheymymy
04-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Refs are allowing Clippers moving screens to make up for hack a jordan. I understand you want it to feel like a fair series but allowing an illegal play to even out a legal strategy that is part of the game is bullshit.

sexinthatsx
05-01-2015, 02:42 AM
That was the one that did me in... Pop should complain, he won't though.

That made me fume, along with the one right afterwards with cp3, it was so obvious and Griffin was even shuffling his feet 2 steps.

heyheymymy
05-01-2015, 02:49 AM
There was one screen where Griffin was blocking Parker like a lineman drill with the blocking sled during summer football 2-a-days. His feet were actually going up and down, flexing at the toes and countering his body into Parker while Redick slips past for a open jumper.

Thebesteva
05-01-2015, 04:29 AM
And despite getting away with murder, Doc has the nerve to complain about the refs after the game...

Always hated Doc...biggest bitch I've ever seen as an NBA coach. He actually hung up a banner after the Lakers beat the Celtics in game 7 claiming,":cry we never truly lost since we lost Kendrick Perkins and our starting 5 is undefeated in the playoffs"

Then he bailed on the Celts :lol

Slippy
05-01-2015, 04:36 AM
Don't think I've see a game where so many spurs defenders fell on a pick. The refs were letting it go but not one of them was considered a dis-advantage to the Spurs . Maybe they think spurs players are flopping or simply allowing more physicality because its the play-offs . Couldn't quite work out their logic or Pop's lack of reaction to it.

All I know is this . This Spurs team is full of heart and experience that fully well know - this will be their last shot together. They are not the kind of team to resort to falling in hope the refs bail them out. Surely by game 7 the officials and Pop take note.